PDA

View Full Version : Govt sports funding goes mostly to horses and dogs

shedite
05/01/2006, 6:24 PM
BreakingNews.ie (http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/01/05/story238125.html)

The Government gave more money to horse racing last year than to any other sport.

According to figures published this evening, the horsing sector received €261m in government grants.

In its end of year review for 2005, the Department of Arts, Sport and Tourism revealed it also provided €65m for the greyhound dog industry.

Some €119m went towards developing phase of the National Sports Campus at Abbottstown.

Meanwhile, the 16 teams in the eircom League received a combined total of only €5.2m from the Government in 2005.

Unbelievable figures there!!! Is there still a tax on bookies coz that's the only somewhat logical answer to this

pineapple stu
05/01/2006, 6:28 PM
What 16 teams are these then?

Raheny Red
05/01/2006, 8:14 PM
As far as I know the bookies tax was reduced from 2% to 1%!!

EDIT: http://www.budgetforum.com/budgetnews/irishexaminer_story.asp?document_id=875043999

Betting tax

THERE was a move in the right direction on the betting tax front by cutting the duty from 2% to 1%. But this continues to ignore the fact that gamblers with a mobile phone or internet access pay nothing at all.

The punters in the local bookmaker are an easy target. Bookies have known it for years - it seems Mr Cowen has learned from them. But at least it’s a far cry from the crazy days of a 20% tax.

pete
06/01/2006, 8:50 AM
This is old news, same situation for last few years at last.

Horse & Dog Racing are Industries & not really sports. Funding to these should be given by the IDA not the Sports Department.

Is there any surprise that Horse & Dog racing have the best facilities in the country & field sports teams have to change in containers or in the back of vans.

garykelly
06/01/2006, 9:35 AM
Is this a typo or an indication that only 16 clubs got any funds?

maybe only 16 eircom teams applied for funding ? for 16 teams that funding is sparse to say the least.

Cosmo
06/01/2006, 9:39 AM
I think the 261 million for horseracing is over 5 years:

http://www.arts-sport-tourism.gov.ie/pressroom/pr_detail.asp?ID=1177
'In 2001, following the establishment of the Horse and Greyhound Racing Fund under the Horse and Greyhound Racing Act of 2001, a major period of development of both racing industries has resulted. In the five years to date, this Fund has provided a guaranteed level of funding to Horse Racing Ireland and Bord na gCon, which by the end of 2005, amounts to €261 million and €65 million respectively.'

Mark Breen
06/01/2006, 9:42 AM
There are NO taxes for ANY betting since about 2 months ago...

max power
06/01/2006, 10:12 AM
yes but look at all the jobs the industy creates and all the beer sold at the races, where does the majority of the pint of that pint go.....to the government.

plus they have a very powerful lobby group, the FF tent at the galway races is stuff of legend. that is only one side. there is the tourism aspect as well, look at how many people come to ireland for the racing as well, it also promotes the country abroad as well.

the fai are dreadful at lobbying, would you give that lot money and expect it to be spend wisely.

i'm not sticking up for the racing industry, but they do have their shop in order and know where they are going.

pete
06/01/2006, 10:17 AM
I still believe this is not "sports" funding & when the government include in their sports figures makes it out that they spending far more on sport then the reality.

I think the horse & dog industries used to also receive a portion of the betting tax income. Maybe the eL should be getting a portion of all the football bets? (domestic & foreign).

Dog tracks are basically just state funded bar/restuarants. Horse racing is state funded gambling.

Horse Racing is one of the few sports that I have virtaully no interest in. I;ve never the point in it unless have a bet on...