PDA

View Full Version : Football Tourism

pete
05/01/2006, 3:09 PM
Thinking of football weekend trip to Europe as stopgap to new season.

Would probably choose Italy, Spain & Germany in that order... Would prefer not to have to buy match ticket in advance. Any advice...?

Peadar
05/01/2006, 3:18 PM
Go to see Barcelona or Milan, Pete.
That way you can bring me back a programme. :D

Ajax is always an option. ;)

Passive
05/01/2006, 3:22 PM
European trips are vital in the close season and are remarkably easy given the availability of cheap flights these days. A few of us Hoops are heading over to Fiorentina v Messina in two weeks. Flights to Pisa are only Eur70 and it's only a short train journey from Florence. Tickets in Italy generally aren't a problem, especially if the away team is rubbish (ala Messina). Even if the game is a sell-out, there are always tout tickets available. Around ten of us went to Roma v Lazio last season and we all got tickets off touts (around Eur70 a pop from what I remember, but I've no problem paying that for a one off game).

A group of us went to Valencia v Levante last January but we have a contact over there who sorted out tickets (first derby game in 40 years so it was a complete sell out). Got Ryanair to that airport south of Barcelona (name completely escapes me) and trained it down to Valencia. Went to Espaynol v Osasuna the same weekend and picked up tickets at the gate no problem.

Don't know about Germany but I'd imagine it's much the same. I plan on making it to a St. Pauli game at some stage this season. They are in division one (or whatever they call it in Germany) so tickets shouldn't be a problem. They're supposed to be crazy b*stards.

The way we picked the Fiorentina game was by going on Ryanair and seeing where we could get cheap flights to. Pisa was cheap so we checked the Fiorentina website and found they were playing at home. Easy. Doesn't matter if Messina are rubbish, you can't beat European trips (cue loads of jokes about Rovers not making Europe...)

Oh, also going to Anderlecht v Genk next month, but I'm basically an Anderlecht casual so that doesn't count :cool:

gspain
05/01/2006, 3:34 PM
No problem with tickets in Spain unless you are trying for Barca v Real or something like that. Tickets normally on sale from the stadium 3 days before the game and normally no issue on matchdays.

Has to be Barca these days - they look awesome on tv.

Try

www.soccer-spain.com for ticket details.

Seville is a lovely city too and great passion among the fans. Direct flights from Dublin and high speed rail link to Madrid -also have the option of Malaga close by so easy to do 2 games in a weekend although fixtures won't be confirmed until a week before the game so you need to cover saturday and sunday.

I'd avoid Germany due to the weather in Jan/Feb.

pete
05/01/2006, 4:20 PM
A few of us Hoops are heading over to Fiorentina v Messina in two weeks.

I'll avoid that so. ;)

Shortlist of cities currently Milan, Rome, Barcelona...

Pick of the games in next 4-8 weeks
Lazio v Milan
Barca v Athletico
Inter v Juventus
Barca v Betis
Lazio v Roma
Roma v Inter
Barcelona v Deportivo
Real Madrid v Atletico

Ryanair & Air Fungus flight prices vary but Iberia got lots of €100 flights to Spain. German very cheap to fly to & match ticket also very cheap but germans live there... ;)

Ash
05/01/2006, 4:26 PM
Around ten of us went to Roma v Lazio last season and we all got tickets off touts (around Eur70 a pop from what I remember, but I've no problem paying that for a one off game).

I was looking into going to the Rome derby in Feb but the tickets are
something like €120 and they only post them to a hotel, which is an
extra €20.

Gerrit
05/01/2006, 6:40 PM
Oh, also going to Anderlecht v Genk next month, but I'm basically an Anderlecht casual so that doesn't count :cool:

:eek:

Even after leaving the country those purple-white feckers keep on chasing me...:eek:

(yes, I hate Anderlecht, think I mentionned that several times before)

People who want a nice game by a top class team in a vibrant city, only one place to be: ROSENBORG B.K.

el punter
05/01/2006, 11:41 PM
I was a season ticket holder at Malaga two years ago and we never had many problems getting extra tickets around the ground for our non-season ticket holding mates that wanted to go to the big games.

Usually the tout prices aren't ridiculous anyway, you often get to use a guy's season ticket who would rather take the money and let someone else pass the stile with his ticket before handing it back out....but dont handover your money till the stile clicks you in ;)

I did pay a disgusting amount of money to see Barca v Real Madrid at the Camp Nou once, a 3-0 tonking, Ronaldinho was mesmerising. Worth every cent!

Réiteoir
05/01/2006, 11:47 PM
People who want a nice game by a top class team in a vibrant city, who are National Champions - only one place to be: VÅLERENGA IF

12th February - Royal League
Vålerenga IF - FC Midtjylland

16th February - Royal League
Vålerenga IF - Hammarby IF

17th April - Tippeligaen
The Oslo Derby
FC Lyn Oslo - Vålerenga IF

Roverstillidie
05/01/2006, 11:55 PM
Lazio v Roma

some of you sensitive types might want to avoid that one.

if you think Rovers are bad, this is a different planet. di canio's last derby, expect (literally) fireworks, rioting, stabbings, racist chants and swastikas on the Curva nord, baton charges and tear gas from the cops etc.

marvellous fun, but expect extreme acts of lunacy from even the most placid Roman.

sonofstan
06/01/2006, 12:15 AM
some of you sensitive types might want to avoid that one.

if you think Rovers are bad, this is a different planet. di canio's last derby, expect (literally) fireworks, rioting, stabbings, racist chants and swastikas on the Curva nord, baton charges and tear gas from the cops etc.

marvellous fun, but expect extreme acts of lunacy from even the most placid Roman.
what he said

go to a Roma V someone else match - great stadium, great fans, easy to get tickets. The derby's hardcore (and not in a good way)

Snoop Drog
06/01/2006, 12:49 AM
The final rounds of Australia's A-League are currently taking place. E1500 should get you here and back.

Show me your boarding pass & I will give you free match ticket :D

Dodge
06/01/2006, 1:42 AM
I was looking into going to the Rome derby in Feb but the tickets are
something like €120 and they only post them to a hotel, which is an
extra €20.
Don't but tickets through those ****ing agency things. You'll have no problem buying them on the day for about half that (as posted by Passive above) for that game. None of the others get nowhere near to selling out (except for the other big derbies obviously)

A few Pats lads have gone away to a game this time of year for the past few years. You have to weigh up the football, the city, the nightlife and the price. I'd suggest Barcelona (SEI going to el classico in April :) ) but I'm heading to see Atletico Madrid play Sociedad in mid feb too. Just gonna walk up on the day and get tickets

Any of the ones you've posted should be good craic though

Passive
06/01/2006, 8:21 AM
what he said

go to a Roma V someone else match - great stadium, great fans, easy to get tickets. The derby's hardcore (and not in a good way)

No way, the derby is a must see, but only from the Curva Sud. It's more than a football game, it's the opportunity to see 70,000 Romans doing what they do best - shout, scream and gesticulate wildly.

There was a bit of hassle outside the ground when we were there (one minor stabbing but mostly handbags) but nothing afterwards because everyone in Rome - and I mean everyone - follows Roma. Lazio are the filthy culchies of Rome. On second thoughts Pete, maybe you should follow them :p

Ash
06/01/2006, 8:33 AM
I have to admit that Lazio were always the team I looked out for when
RTE and C4 first started showing Italian soccer.

I was in Rome on hols a while back and was amazed at what a sh!thole
the Olympic Stadium looks from the outside. I was even more amazed
that they dont do ground tours or have any supporter shops near the
ground! Either that or I totally missed them, which knowing me isnt beyond
the realms of possibility!?!

LFC in Exile
06/01/2006, 8:35 AM
Roma - Lazio is an amazing game - all football fans should see it - passion and also a bit of football (as opposed to Old Firm which just has the former). The atmosphere was electric but we didn't see any trouble at all. There were no stewards in the ground and the cops were thin on the ground outside but I was amazed at the lack of hassle.

Of course if you do go, get to the ground at least an hour before kick-off.

tiktok
06/01/2006, 8:49 AM
Of the ones you've mentioned

Barca and Inter would be my choice in that order.

Milan is a dump IMO, but the San Siro is fantastic, and you can buy the tickets online in advance from their official site.

Barcelona has it all, stadium, team, city, nightlife, food.
I love the place.

On a side note I'm of to Argentina and Brazil in a few months, going to try and catch a game or two over there

pete
06/01/2006, 9:01 AM
Lazio are the filthy culchies of Rome. On second thoughts Pete, maybe you should follow them :p

At least you didn't call be a fascist. :o

NY Hoop
06/01/2006, 10:53 AM
I was a season ticket holder at Malaga two years ago and we never had many problems getting extra tickets around the ground for our non-season ticket holding mates that wanted to go to the big games.

Usually the tout prices aren't ridiculous anyway, you often get to use a guy's season ticket who would rather take the money and let someone else pass the stile with his ticket before handing it back out....but dont handover your money till the stile clicks you in ;)

I did pay a disgusting amount of money to see Barca v Real Madrid at the Camp Nou once, a 3-0 tonking, Ronaldinho was mesmerising. Worth every cent!

Think some of us paid a fiver more than face value for the Valencia derby last year. Then I went up to Zaragosa to see the Cup Winners Cup:D

Re your signature boez are known as the gypos........

KOH

pineapple stu
06/01/2006, 12:51 PM
I could recommend two hours watching the Faroese Second Division's big derby match between the two top Faroese teams' reserves... Featuring a half-time kick-about by ourselves. :p

mandrake
06/01/2006, 1:04 PM
went to roma juve last year in olympic stadium absolute madness, went in 1/2 hours early stadium jammers standing room only and even had to fight for that...we were near juve fans, fireworks, riots every soften a firework would come into crowd and people ran everywhere, a bloke had a heart attack too, that even before the game started...
2-1 juve,thought i was watching the future euro champs but good ol sami hyppia stuck the first blow in there downfall,,cmon the pool:D

as rovers til i die said not for the faint hearted....anyone who has slagged off rovers fans for their antics should beware of big games in italy....great experience though.

pete
06/01/2006, 1:08 PM
Barca seems to be best choice for citywide experience. Rome best for football atmosphere.

I posted this thread in the eL section as think different outlook on football than non-eL types...

Raheny Red
06/01/2006, 1:39 PM
Originally posted by Tiktok
On a side note I'm of to Argentina and Brazil in a few months, going to try and catch a game or two over there

You lucky basket, would love to go and see River and Boca some day!! Now that
is one of the most hostile games in world football!!

Larry 'da' Wyse
06/01/2006, 3:10 PM
A trip to Bayern's new ground the Alliance Arena is to be recommended. Went to see 'em in November. At the other end of the scale I got my LOI fix in Paris watching Paris FC 2000 v. Creteuil (sp) with about 500 at the game.
Watching Aberystwyth in Europe was also a pleasure

chippie0001
07/01/2006, 6:49 PM
Went to Amsterdam for an Ajax game in December and the following week went to the Milan Derby. Never at a game like it and don't know how I will go back to watching Bohs after it. Only €22 for a seat, not that anyone sits, in the second tier behind the goal. Was in with all the inter nutters as I got in late and what an atmosphere. Inter get a last minute winner and the place just goes crazy. Going back in April hopefully for the next derby and would recommend it to anyone. Also the inter/ac fans were class looked after us very well. Going back to Amsterdam for an Ajax game in February as well, they won 5-1 the last time and played lovely football. Atmosphere not the best as the away side brought nobody to the game.

To be honest with the class football, atmosphere and facilities I have been in over the winter, just don't know how I will go back to enjoying the crap I had to watch last season from Bohs :rolleyes:

mypost
08/01/2006, 1:46 AM
(Re: Rome derby)

one minor stabbing but mostly handbags

roma juve last year, fireworks, riots every soften a firework would come into crowd and people ran everywhere, a bloke had a heart attack too

After the uproar over the recent nut-firing fiasco in Belfield, I wonder what JohnB/PoorStudent would make of all that? :confused:

Kind of puts the whole hullabaloo in perspective, methinks.

mypost
08/01/2006, 1:51 AM
A trip to Bayern's new ground the Alliance Arena is to be recommended. Went to see 'em in November.

Bayern v Bremen?? Bayern v Mainz??

Went there in August. Every game there is a sell-out weeks beforehand. Unlike here/England, fans of both teams go to the ground together, and there is an atmosphere throughout the whole game. Highly recommended. :)

Raheny Red
08/01/2006, 2:00 AM
Originally posted by Mypost
Unlike here/England, fans of both teams go to the ground together, and there is an atmosphere throughout the whole game. Highly recommended.

Well maybe not at Rovers games but I can always have the banter and craic with other el/IL fans before or after games!! ALWAYS

HarpoJoyce
08/01/2006, 6:34 PM
After the uproar over the recent nut-firing fiasco in Belfield, I wonder what JohnB/PoorStudent would make of all that? :confused:

Kind of puts the whole hullabaloo in perspective, methinks.

Rovers fans wishing to compare themselves with hooligan behaviour elsewhere. Good Job.
We won't mention the new Rovers been cited and fined for Racist hate comments at the same Belfield game. Rovers may start comparing themselves with other racist incidents 'cross Europe.

I was at a AS Roma v. Juve. game at Stadio Olympico in 1994.
Delvecchio equalising. Lots of fans mingling, fans sitting on the steps getting as close to the half-way line as possible. Fans taking photographs of the play. I wasn't hoolie watching but didn't see any trouble.
Oh! one. We didn't pay our fare on the city bus up to the ground 'cos the bus was packed. I suppose fans can empatise with that aswell.

pete
08/01/2006, 9:59 PM
No way, the derby is a must see, but only from the Curva Sud. It's more than a football game, it's the opportunity to see 70,000 Romans doing what they do best - shout, scream and gesticulate wildly.

There was a bit of hassle outside the ground when we were there (one minor stabbing but mostly handbags) but nothing afterwards because everyone in Rome - and I mean everyone - follows Roma. Lazio are the filthy culchies of Rome. On second thoughts Pete, maybe you should follow them :p

Lazio-Roma seems to be no1 choice now in late february. Tickets frim agencies are €100 in the Curva Nord but i'd have to train my right arm for that section ;) & 150+ for side areas. Somehow I can't believe the locals pay those prices?

Whats the capacity of the Stadio Olympico? Does it always fill out for the derby?

Raheny Red
08/01/2006, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by pete
i'd have to train my right arm for that section

Have you not been doing this since you were 12?? :eek: :D :p

Dodge
09/01/2006, 12:11 AM
Whats the capacity of the Stadio Olympico? Does it always fill out for the derby?
Yeah always. But loads sold on the day. You may have to pay up to €100 for it though

sonofstan
09/01/2006, 12:20 AM
Lazio-Roma seems to be no1 choice now in late february. Tickets frim agencies are €100 in the Curva Nord but i'd have to train my right arm for that section ;) & 150+ for side areas. Somehow I can't believe the locals pay those prices?

prices start at about 15e but these sell out straight away through the various supporters clubs - official and unofficial - for the big matches - after that I'm afraid it is 100+ plus - (stay away from the Curva Nord) you should be able to get tickets on the day though capacity about 80,000 i think.

Passive's right about nobody in Rome following Lazio - you never see Lazio shirts until you get out to places like EUR which was Mussolini's new town

Dodge
09/01/2006, 9:02 AM
Shops in Rome are more likely to sell Inter or Juve jersies tbh. Likewise in Barcelona, you won't see one Espanyol thing. If you go there, go to Mont Juic during the day and you can just walk into the Olympic Stadium. There's a fae at the top of the first tier and they sell Barcelona gear in there :)

WeAreRovers
09/01/2006, 10:18 AM
I wouls recommend the Rome derby 100%. Not for the faint-hearted but a real once-in-a-lifetime experience (or in Billy Lord's case 3 times in a year. ;) )

Personally, I've decided against next month's Rome derby and I'm off to Blackpool instead for Blackpool Mechanics v FC United. I desperately need my fix of crappy football. :D

KOH

Macy
09/01/2006, 11:43 AM
I'm off to Blackpool instead for Blackpool Mechanics v FC United. I desperately need my fix of crappy football.
Ahhhh, the european away... Thinking of that myself - Blackpool will be bedlam.... :D

Schumi
09/01/2006, 2:00 PM
I desperately need my fix of crappy football. :D Something to make Rovers games next year look better? :eek:

Passive
09/01/2006, 3:39 PM
[QUOTE=HarpoJoyce]Rovers fans wishing to compare themselves with hooligan behaviour elsewhere. Good Job.
We won't mention the new Rovers been cited and fined for Racist hate comments at the same Belfield game. Rovers may start comparing themselves with other racist incidents 'cross Europe.

QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

Don't get me started on that trumped up charge. One bloke called Dicker a "paki" and everyone told him to shut up. That's all that happened, so stop stirring ****.

As for your first point, when did Rovers fans compare themselves with European hooligans? I commented on trouble witnessed outside the Rome derby and My Post merely said that it puts somebody allegedly throwing nuts into perspective, which it sort of does.

Go back to bed.