PDA

View Full Version : Kazakhstan?

Paulie
05/01/2006, 10:06 AM
Just as a matter of interest can anybody tell me why Kazakhstan has been included in the European Zone for football qualification for major intl. tournaments? As far as I know the World Cup 2006 was their first campaign in this region and I'm just curious to know why they were moved. I assume that previously they were in with the Asian or Middle Eastern teams(?)

pineapple stu
05/01/2006, 12:35 PM
They moved for more money, I think. In 2002, they nearly made the last round in Asia, while in 2006, they got one point, so it's certainly not to boost their chances of qualifying! Apparently a bit of the western edge is in Europe, so that's why they're allowed. Not fussed though - would be a quality place to visit, only about 100 miles from China and Tajikstan!

Paulie
05/01/2006, 1:14 PM
If they were previously close to qualifying from Asia, or at least if they were being competitive, it doesn't make much sense for them to have moved to the European region. The only reason I can think of is that their FA wants their national team to play against some big name teams. Either way it seems pretty short-sighted to me.

I agree though that it would a great place to visit if we get them in our group for 2008. It would be a long way to go for a weekend trip but sure when else are you going to go Kazakhstan?!

ThatGuy
05/01/2006, 1:16 PM
Just as a matter of interest can anybody tell me why Kazakhstan has been included in the European Zone for football qualification for major intl. tournaments? As far as I know the World Cup 2006 was their first campaign in this region and I'm just curious to know why they were moved. I assume that previously they were in with the Asian or Middle Eastern teams(?)
I presume it is so their clubs can compete in UEFA competitions?

pete
05/01/2006, 1:39 PM
Worked with a guy from Kazakhstan before & he was russian in behaviour & oulook whereas he looked asian.

Google says in Central Asia (http://www.google.ie/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial_s&hl=en&q=where+is+Kazakhstan%3F&meta=&btnG=Google+Search)

pineapple stu
05/01/2006, 3:27 PM
The bit about "a small portion west of the Ural River in eastern-most Europe" is what allows them to move.

Paulie
05/01/2006, 3:46 PM
The bit about "a small portion west of the Ural River in eastern-most Europe" is what allows them to move.

Still not sure exactly why they moved though. Maybe, as ThatGuy said, it was in order to enable their clubs, assuming they have their own domestic league, compete in European competition.

Poor Student
05/01/2006, 5:32 PM
The only thing I can think of is that their clubs can play in Europe. It's a very closed shop in Asia, only the top 12 or 16 countries can play in the Asian CL, then the next 12 or 16 in the next tier Asian Cup. I'd imagine Kazakhstan were in the 3rd tier. There's no real co-efficient rankings in Asia to even allow clubs to move into the top tier. It certainly doesn't seem to do their national team any favours. However the Kazakh champions nearly knocked out Artmedia Bratislava in the 1st CL qualifying round this year, beating them in the first leg only for Artmedia to go on to put them, Celtic and Partizan out and perform admirably in the CL Group Stage. It's a massive country with good natural resources and seems to send many athletes to the Olympics and also has ethnic German and Russian groups who would probably be fairly Western orientated.

Kerry Blue
05/01/2006, 5:56 PM
http://www.wldcup.com/news/2001Jun/20010613_8913_kazakhstan_uefa.html

Anyone got any news on Greenland?
I know that Gibraltar were hoping to join UEFA a few years ago but haven't anything about them recently.

Raheny Red
05/01/2006, 6:07 PM
Originally posted by Kerry Blue
Anyone got any news on Greenland?
I know that Gibraltar were hoping to join UEFA a few years ago but haven't anything about them recently.

There is a Belgian bloke called Gerrit (has a Shels crest for his handle!) who does be on here in the evenings - mainly in the eL forum or the IL forum. He loves countries who are located as close to the north pole as possible. So look out for him, I'd say he would be delighted to tell you about Greenland!!

Aberdonian Stu
05/01/2006, 6:34 PM
Kazakhstan's biggest sporting success has been in pro-boxing where Jirov (forgotten his first name) held a legitimate version of the World Cruiserweight title.

Gerrit
05/01/2006, 6:49 PM
With Shels I was hoping to draw the Kazach team, because I would find it a dream location for an away trip. Some people mocked with "my wicked travel ideas" here, and now you open a topic yourself on how much you'd like to go :rolleyes: ;)

Yes, I'd really love to go. I even searched a job in Armenia and Azerbaijan at one point because I'd love to discover the area (very hard to find a job there though, but it'd be the experience of a lifetime) and for football I couldn't think of a nicer trip really. Honestly and 100% sincerely, I'd rather follow my team to Kazachstan than to San Siro or Bernabeu. You can go to Madrid anytime, but Kazachstan is a travel experience that's unique.

Ok, enough about my wicked travel fantasies. The team was allowed to move because approx 10% of the territory is in Europe, the other side of the country borders Tibet/China. The main reason for the move was financial (I read a lot about it) because their FA needed cash, and playing England, France and Italy brings more money in the pocket than playing Bahrein and India. Also, they hope that playing tough opposition will improve the team after a while, I think they aim on long-term improvement rather than focussing on short-term success. Maybe not such a bad idea.

Mind the food though. Horse penis is eaten in Kazachstan. So if Ireland goes there, don't order a hotdog, you never know what the saucisse is made of :eek:

Gerrit
05/01/2006, 6:59 PM
As for Greenland: they join FIFA once the stadium in Nuuk is finished (they're busy on it) so it will be for the quite near future.

Greenland also plays in the alternative World Cup for non-FIFA countries (see my other topic in this section of foot.ie) and along with Vatican City and Tuvalu they are the participators most likely to join FIFA in the near future.
The other participators of this new tournament will have more difficulties to get in FIFA, because of political reasons.

I have been in touch with the Greenland FA. Quite amateuristic still, but with a big love for the game. Football is very popular in Greenland, even towns with only 500 people have 2 or 3 clubs. Qanaaq (north of Thule, less than 1000 km from the northpole) is the world's northernmost club competing in a league.

Raheny Red
05/01/2006, 8:34 PM
Originally posted by Gerrit
(see my other topic in this section of foot.ie)

By any chance have you got a link to this topic!!:confused:

De Town
05/01/2006, 8:54 PM
Kazakstan...What a place...Havent been there but last year there was a lad in my year in school from Kazakstan and he was hilarious...They are basically Russians...but don't call them that :o Don't really appreciate it...Still keep in contact with him...He's in school in Castlknock this year and hope to go visit him in Kazakstan some time...

Gerrit
05/01/2006, 9:38 PM
By any chance have you got a link to this topic!!:confused:

http://www.foot.ie/showthread.php?t=32546 ;)

Also visit the forum of The Roon Ba (the-roon-ba.cero.com.ar) which is basically a meeting place for people interested into non-FIFA teams. We discuss anything from Tuvalu to Vatican City, it's a great place to exchange info you don't find on most regular football sites. My nickname on the board is identitcal to my name here.

Dotsy
06/01/2006, 9:32 AM
Kazakstan...What a place...Havent been there but last year there was a lad in my year in school from Kazakstan and he was hilarious...They are basically Russians...but don't call them that :o Don't really appreciate it...Still keep in contact with him...He's in school in Castlknock this year and hope to go visit him in Kazakstan some time...

Etnic Kazaks don't like being called Russian because they aren't. Their is a large second and third generation Russian population in the country just like there is in many former Soviet Republics. Etnic Kazaks would outnumber those of Russia decent by a large margin. It sounds like the lad in your school is not an etnic Kazak and that his family were from Russia originally.

I spent a couple of weeks in Qaraghandy in Kazakstan working in 1996. Not a particulary nice town it was very industrialised. Spent a couple of nights in Almaty (former capital) on the way in and out of the country. It was great fun. Not very westernised at that time but unfortunatley I am sure it has succumed to the lure of the golden arches and suchlike at this stage. Alot of western energy companies present in te country now and that tends to changes places like that. Not for the better in my opinion.

Paulie
06/01/2006, 10:06 AM
The team was allowed to move because approx 10% of the territory is in Europe, the other side of the country borders Tibet/China. The main reason for the move was financial (I read a lot about it) because their FA needed cash, and playing England, France and Italy brings more money in the pocket than playing Bahrein and India. Also, they hope that playing tough opposition will improve the team after a while, I think they aim on long-term improvement rather than focussing on short-term success. Maybe not such a bad idea.

Mind the food though. Horse penis is eaten in Kazachstan. So if Ireland goes there, don't order a hotdog, you never know what the saucisse is made of :eek:

Good man Gerrit.....a definitive answer. It sounds like a very interesting place. If we get them in our group I'll definitely go while at all times making sure to avoid hot dogs.

De Town
06/01/2006, 11:51 AM
Etnic Kazaks don't like being called Russian because they aren't. Their is a large second and third generation Russian population in the country just like there is in many former Soviet Republics. Etnic Kazaks would outnumber those of Russia decent by a large margin. It sounds like the lad in your school is not an etnic Kazak and that his family were from Russia originally.

I spent a couple of weeks in Qaraghandy in Kazakstan working in 1996. Not a particulary nice town it was very industrialised. Spent a couple of nights in Almaty (former capital) on the way in and out of the country. It was great fun. Not very westernised at that time but unfortunatley I am sure it has succumed to the lure of the golden arches and suchlike at this stage. Alot of western energy companies present in te country now and that tends to changes places like that. Not for the better in my opinion.
Yeah, the lad in my school was born in Russia himself but was moved to Kazakstan when he was only a month or 2 old.

btw, Almaty, thats where he lives.

Gerrit
06/01/2006, 4:48 PM
Can someone who knows a Kazach or been there tell me something about the economical situation? I'd still be interested in going to the former USSR, as I said I did some jubhunting in Armenia and neighbouring countries (without success unfortunately) and it'd still interest me to go there for a while.

De Town
06/01/2006, 4:52 PM
Can someone who knows a Kazach or been there tell me something about the economical situation? I'd still be interested in going to the former USSR, as I said I did some jubhunting in Armenia and neighbouring countries (without success unfortunately) and it'd still interest me to go there for a while.
Sorry Gerrit but I wouldn't have a clue TBH.