PDA

View Full Version : Provincial clubs dominate the domestic club scene

A face
04/01/2006, 2:32 PM
Provincial clubs dominate the domestic club scene

The swing in the balance of power at club level in Irish football away from Dublin during 2005 represented a development that was full of positive trends for the future.

The three major national trophies at senior level were snaffled by Cork City, Drogheda United and Derry City. Their successes attracted growing attention in a season when rising attendances were a big encouragement.

Read more at www.fai.ie (http://www.fai.ie/article.asp?hlid=349655&Title=Provincial+clubs+dominate+the+domestic+club+ scene&lid=Main+News&sub=Provincial+clubs+dominate+the+domestic+club+sc ene&navlid=&sublid=)

Passive
04/01/2006, 3:59 PM
To be honest, I wouldn't look too much into the alleged rise of the rural clubs. Personally, I think the move away from Dublin is a good thing (but I would say that given the state of Rovers), but it is all cyclical. Rovers reached rock bottom last season and we're just thankful to still be in a league; Bohs and Pats are experiencing woeful hangovers brought on by years of over-speading; and Shels were just rubbish for the first ten games or so and never made up the gap.

If Cork can hold onto their squad they will continue to do well. I'm not sure how long Derry can keep up this level, and I'm fairly sure Drogheda will explode into the financial abyss pretty soon. By that stage, Shels will also be broke but Bohs and Pats will have recovered enough to waste all their money on short-term success again. And so the Irish football financial madness merry-go-round will continue...

sonofstan
04/01/2006, 4:15 PM
To be honest, I wouldn't look too much into the alleged rise of the rural clubs. Personally, I think the move away from Dublin is a good thing (but I would say that given the state of Rovers), but it is all cyclical. Rovers reached rock bottom last season and we're just thankful to still be in a league; Bohs and Pats are experiencing woeful hangovers brought on by years of over-speading; and Shels were just rubbish for the first ten games or so and never made up the gap.

If Cork can hold onto their squad they will continue to do well. I'm not sure how long Derry can keep up this level, and I'm fairly sure Drogheda will explode into the financial abyss pretty soon. By that stage, Shels will also be broke but Bohs and Pats will have recovered enough to waste all their money on short-term success again. And so the Irish football financial madness merry-go-round will continue...
I really wish I could disagree with any of that...

mandrake
04/01/2006, 4:35 PM
I really wish I could disagree with any of that...
same here, both hopefully we can last 5 years at the top(although we havent got there yet:( ) and a few in the premier anyway.

Gerrit
04/01/2006, 5:07 PM
If Seery's words come true, Dublin will have a top-of-the-tables team and European entry very soon again :o

Rovers1
04/01/2006, 7:58 PM
what about us? another non-dub team being sucessful!!

Celdrog
04/01/2006, 8:05 PM
I'm fairly sure Drogheda will explode into the financial abyss pretty soon.

Well Rovers fans would know all about financial abyss'. Craptown fans have been predicting this will happen in six months for the last three years and it still has not come true.

Drogs fans know their directors and for the first time in about thirty years are happy with the current set up (when the present chairman was the chairman at that time also)

TonyD
04/01/2006, 9:29 PM
Drogs fans know their directors and for the first time in about thirty years are happy with the current set up (when the present chairman was the chairman at that time also)

Well of course you're happy now. Who wouldn't be in your current position ? especially given where you've come from in the last few years. But seriously, how long do you think you can sustain your current level of spending ? Face it, in this league, even success doesn't guarantee big money, so you will continue to be dependant on a few well heeled directors pouring money out of their own pockets into the club. All fine and dandy while it lasts, but I think that's why most non Drogheda fans are expecting your bubble to burst at some stage in the not too distant future. And as someone who's seen this happen at my club, it ain't pretty.

Red4Eva
05/01/2006, 1:42 AM
what about us? another non-dub team being sucessful!!

lets not consider winning the 1st div being succesful. it's an opportunity to be succesful.

Cosmo
05/01/2006, 8:04 AM
but I think that's why most non Drogheda fans are expecting your bubble to burst at some stage

Well obviously at some stage (we cant expect to be near the top of the table for the rest of our existence :rolleyes: )- as someone said in another thread, clubs go through phases -rovers had their time, craptown had their time, waterford had their time, bohs had thier time, pats had their time, etc - the list goes on and on - for the next couple of years you will see the drogs have their time.

Btw the directors plan is that when the new Sports Complex gets built the club will be self sufficient and won't need any more handouts - heres hoping :) !!

ndrog
05/01/2006, 8:55 PM
Thats the thing with Chris Byrne , who is the money man in Drogheda for those who dont know.He is a seriously driven guy.At every oppourtunity he states how he wants to get Drogs to a self sufficent status .The whole plan for the new ground is that it will be an ongoing buisness 12 months a year.After nearly going out of buisness a few years ago he is determined to make it work and is really passionate about the club.Plus he is a top buisness man and seriously wealthy .Dont think that bubble is gonna burst anytime soon.:eek:

gustavo
05/01/2006, 10:58 PM
To be honest, I wouldn't look too much into the alleged rise of the rural clubs
so Derry (pop :105,066 ) and Cork ( pop 123,338) are rural clubs!

Roverstillidie
05/01/2006, 11:03 PM
so Derry (pop :105,066 ) and Cork ( pop 123,338) are rural clubs!

yes. if you are form outside dublin you are a mullah!!!

razor
10/01/2006, 10:25 AM
yes. if you are form outside dublin you are a mullah!!! A member of the Islamic clergy ????

thomas
10/01/2006, 12:35 PM
Before this descends into a slagging match it obviously means outside dublin. Take it up with the fai writer instead of annoying everyone on here about how a a city "can" have a population of less than a million.

As for the financials I'd like to know how dublin city expect to be allowed in the premier without a premier standard ground and with their massive wage bill that has no revenue to pay for it? And pretty much every club is in the same financial boat with the exception of rovers and cork.

dcfcsteve
10/01/2006, 12:48 PM
As for the financials I'd like to know how dublin city expect to be allowed in the premier without a premier standard ground and with their massive wage bill that has no revenue to pay for it? And pretty much every club is in the same financial boat with the exception of rovers and cork.

Well Derry certainly aren't in that financial boat.

I'm sure a couple of other clubs aren't either.

Hopefully the UEFA licensing process will expose those that are.

thomas
10/01/2006, 1:10 PM
Most of the info is in the public domain anyway. Any halfwit hack could look it up and paint a very very bad picture.

Risteard
10/01/2006, 1:17 PM
Doesn't Cork have a population of 253,000? And that was a few years ago.
I think the rise of the provincial clubs has been mistaken for the year of the provincial clubs & its not that big a deal
There's only 6 out of the 22 clubs from Dublin.
Just over a quarter so Dubs shouldn't be expected to win something every year but they have been for the most part.

pineapple stu
10/01/2006, 1:26 PM
As for the financials I'd like to know how Dublin City expect to be allowed in the premier without a premier standard ground and with their massive wage bill that has no revenue to pay for it?
A vague plan to do something about your ground is enough.

DC must have the revenue, otherwise the wages wouldn't be being paid and players wouldn't be signing for them. Would be interesting to see how much of a directors' loan or the likes they have though. I also can't see how their modus operandi can continue the way it is*. Would be interesting to see their accounts. Though the same could be said for any club in the league.

* - probably shouldn't have started this. The standard DC thread has been done - let's not turn this into another one! If you want to vent your spleen and not forget about them, head over to another thread!