PDA

View Full Version : Kavanaghs AKA The Grave diggers pub

onenilgameover
04/01/2006, 2:16 PM
Lads and Lasse's...

This might be a bit out there but....

Does anyone know the Grave diggers in Glasnevin and do you know if you can play horseshoes in their courtyard? I heard a rumour?

heres the pub http://www.dublinpubscene.com/thepubs/seankavanaghs.html

and heres what Horseshoes is in case anyone didn't know?

http://www.ehow.com/how_3110_play-horseshoes.html

Peadar
04/01/2006, 2:31 PM
Perhaps you should ring them and ask.

01 830 7978

onenilgameover
04/01/2006, 2:37 PM
Perhaps you should ring them and ask.

01 830 7978

Thanks Peadar but I'm gonna call round tonight. Just thought someone on here might know...

drummerboy
04/01/2006, 2:45 PM
Never seen them playing horseshoes but they do play rings or hoops in the bar. Don't think they have phone. Certainly don't have tv. Great pint though.

liam88
04/01/2006, 4:41 PM
Aye very nice pub :)
They do have a rigns board up in the bar that's for certain.
You ever here the story about the Priest who turne dup on emorning to fidn two coffins lying there-the funeral processions had stopped at the pub on the way in and got so lashed they figured they couldn't carry the coffins and they'd come back the enxt day :D Not sure how much truth there is in it though ;)

town73
04/01/2006, 11:52 PM
That's where the Smithwick's ads were shot - 'are you going for a pint'. Norm (George Wendt) appeared in a more recent one. As drummerboy said, cracking pint of plain.

Macy
05/01/2006, 7:18 AM
Thanks Peadar but I'm gonna call round tonight. Just thought someone on here might know...
So how's the hangover?

Drumcondra Red
05/01/2006, 11:09 AM
I'd go there regularish, great pint as for horseshoes, I don't know maybe its said/ done for the tourist aspect? Never seen it though, great old, untouched decor and again great pint!!!

onenilgameover
06/01/2006, 1:26 PM
The hangover is today :( ...Its rings on a board they have and not horseshoes and I think the two got mixed up. Very nice looking pub which I'ill be returning to but not today..:o

Thunderblaster
09/01/2006, 11:14 PM
Founded in 1832 and it hardly changed. I was in it last year and it was real old fashioned; no telephone, no television and just about have electricity. There was a guy with Down's Syndrome working the night I was in it, which is fantastic because it gives him some independence.

dancinpants
09/01/2006, 11:19 PM
That's where the Smithwick's ads were shot - 'are you going for a pint'. Norm (George Wendt) appeared in a more recent one. As drummerboy said, cracking pint of plain.

Schillacci (spl?) was in one too wasn't he?

paul_oshea
10/01/2006, 9:16 AM
Does anyone know the Grave diggers in Glasnevin and do you know if you can play horseshoes in their courtyard? I heard a rumour?

used to be a regular there for a time, quality quality pub, yes you can or you could do. its a great place august bank holiday weekend before the football matches. sun shining sitting outside in the grass, quality, you dont get much better places than that on a nice warm sunny day.

its where they shoot the smithwicks adds, its across from the smurfit building beside the fianna hotel, just up the laneway there. very secluded but well worth the find.

paul_oshea
10/01/2006, 9:17 AM
Founded in 1832 and it hardly changed.

how do you know?!?!?!?!

There was a guy with Down's Syndrome working the night I was in it, which is fantastic because it gives him some independence.

he has been there 4 or 5 years at this stage.

Schillacci (spl?) was in one too wasn't he?

ya he was, the boys are going on about him and then he appears behind them with an italian friend. toto

Drumcondra Red
10/01/2006, 11:12 AM
And the blondy one behind the bar is a cracker too... bit of a milf!!!