PDA

View Full Version : Ryder Cup - Free to Air?

pete
04/01/2006, 10:30 AM
Bertie to fight for Ryder Cup rights

The taoiseasch has said that he intends to try and make the Ryder Cup available on Irish terrestrial television, despite Sky Sports' stranglehold on the event.

Speaking on a special sporting review of the year programme on Setanta Sports, Bertie Ahern said: "We're trying to organise free to air for the Ryder Cup.

More @ Setanta.com (http://www.setanta.com/content/setanta/website.nsf/systemcontent/newsarticle?open&articleid=3920dc2d86ee3a00802570e90046fabd&folder=website-golf&parentfolder=website&)

-------------------------

Doesn't he have anything better to do like oh running the country? Talk about cheap popularity gimmic... :rolleyes:

the 12 th man
04/01/2006, 10:54 AM
Bertie to fight for Ryder Cup rights

The taoiseasch has said that he intends to try and make the Ryder Cup available on Irish terrestrial television, despite Sky Sports' stranglehold on the event.

Speaking on a special sporting review of the year programme on Setanta Sports, Bertie Ahern said: "We're trying to organise free to air for the Ryder Cup.

More @ Setanta.com (http://www.setanta.com/content/setanta/website.nsf/systemcontent/newsarticle?open&articleid=3920dc2d86ee3a00802570e90046fabd&folder=website-golf&parentfolder=website&)

-------------------------

Doesn't he have anything better to do like oh running the country? Talk about cheap popularity gimmic... :rolleyes:

Rupert Murdoch Will be delighted:rolleyes: ,and the statement was made on a subscription channel...(it is where I live).

pete
04/01/2006, 11:23 AM
If golf wanted people to view on terrestial channels they wouldn't have taken Murdocks cash. Sky would take the irish government all the way to European court to oppose any change.

I think Bertie looking for cheap publicity showing how such a great sports fan he is 'n all knowing full well no relaisty to changes.

the 12 th man
04/01/2006, 11:32 AM
If golf wanted people to view on terrestial channels they wouldn't have taken Murdocks cash. Sky would take the irish government all the way to European court to oppose any change.

I think Bertie looking for cheap publicity showing how such a great sports fan he is 'n all knowing full well no relaisty to changes.

Just think of the backlash from R M's papers if Bertie was to force the issue.
Could be interesting to see what happens........... if anything.

Macy
04/01/2006, 11:40 AM
Too little, too late. No point at this stage, as court cases would drag on past the date.

Also, unless RTE are going Free to Air, don't see them showing the Ryder Cup FTA. Sorry, I forgot, only in Donnybrook TV world does Free To Air mean terrestrial and not Satellite. :rolleyes: