PDA

View Full Version : The 2005 foot.ie awards ideas thread

Slash/ED
30/12/2005, 8:46 PM
There was a thread about this earlier on, I ran them last year with an enormous amount of help from A Face and nobody seemed to mind me doing them again this year. I'll have plenty of time for the next month or so anyway, so it's no bother to me.

Last years format seemed to work grand so unless there's any suggestions here it'll be run much the same as then, which was like this. We had a load of categorys (I'll get into those later) and every person got one vote in each category, and could choose which categorys they wanted to vote in so they weren't forced to vote in each one as they may know nothing about it (Like someone who only knows the premier division voting on first division player of the year). So if you wanted, you could vote in only one category or you could vote in them all.

Anyway, the way voting was done was simple. I set up a seperate e-mail account and the people who vote send their votes to that e-mail address and include their username in the e-mail, then they should reply to a thread here and say they've voted so nobody trys to pretend they're someone else. I don't want them PMed to me as my inbox is nearly full and a few peoples votes could be lost, it's easier the e-mail way. If you've any real problem with the e-mail (I don't see why you could but if you do) I suppose you could PM me but everyone should try use the e-mail address way if they can. I'll put it up when the voting starts which will be in the first few days of january.

Now the categorys, here's last years list...

EL Player of the year
Div 1 Player of the year
EL Young player of the year
Div 1 Young player of the year
Most improved team (Div 1 or EL)
Best manager (Div 1 or EL)

Irish international teams player of the year
Best new cap
International young player of the year (Based on performances for any of our teams from U21 down)
Best goal (Can be either EL, Div 1 or international and can be down to anything, weather it was a brilliant goal or a significant one, whatever makes it your favourite)
Best save (Same as)
Best uncapped Irish player

Hero of 2004 (Again, either EL, Div 1 or international)
Villian of 2004 (Same as)
Most under rated player (same)
Most over rated player (same)
Best chant (Same)
Most amusing moment (same)
Moment of the year (Same, can be absolutley any moment that stood out for you for club or country)

What do people think category wise, what would you like to see included and what would you like to see omitted? I would suggest getting rid of the best chant and most amusing moment ones as the spread of votes was too high. Maybe we can put two more in their place, but I don't think we should go for too much more than what we have there. I was considering a user of the year award, what do people think? Could degenerate into a bit of a popularity contest so I don't know how the mods would feel about that.

Last year you were allowed vote for your own team if you wanted, it didn't seem to skew the voting too much, so I think we should keep it like this, but try not to be too biased, it's hardly the nobel peace prize. Again though, if you all think this is a bad idea say it here, if the majority want a change in that policy say it here.

So really, this is just the suggestions thread. The competition wont start until 2006, so any comments/suggestions or complaints from last year you want to make on the competition put them here be they category ideas or whatever. Any good ideas at all could easily be implemented, I haven't set anything up yet.

Conor H
30/12/2005, 8:51 PM
I would keep the "best chant" and "best moment" category...i think they can be interesting.

Slash/ED
30/12/2005, 9:16 PM
I would keep the "best chant" and "best song" category...i think they can be interesting.

Well if everyone agrees the best chant will stay in, the problem is everyone can vote for different ones in something like that.

Not as much as in the most amusing moment category though Last year nothing got more than one vote so there was a load of joint winners. I'd definitely rather leave that one out especially because of that.

razor
30/12/2005, 9:26 PM
Advisor of the year or can we put that under Villain?

Slash/ED
30/12/2005, 9:30 PM
Advisor of the year or can we put that under Villain?

That'll fit nicely into the villain category alright :p

Anto McC
30/12/2005, 9:33 PM
Well if everyone agrees the best chant will stay in, the problem is everyone can vote for different ones in something like that.

Not as much as in the most amusing moment category though Last year nothing got more than one vote so there was a load of joint winners. I'd definitely rather leave that one out especially because of that.

Why dont you and A face make a shortlist of 3 or something.

Slash/ED
30/12/2005, 9:36 PM
Why dont you and A face make a shortlist of 3 or something.

We'd only be accused of being biased. Afterall my three would be Rovers going down, Rovers loseing to Dublin City and Dublin City gaining promotion through the play off system ;)

monzo
31/12/2005, 11:07 AM
Here was my awards categories for the OTF eL Thread, which shamefully never took off properly:

Individual Awards (own club) :
Player of the season:
2nd and 3rd best player of the season:
Favourite player:
Young Player to have Broken Through:
Player with a bright future:
Best Defender:
Best Midfielder:
Best Striker:
Total Donkey of the Season:
Other bad Performers:
Most Disappointing Performer:
Goal of the Season:
Manager(s) Comment:

Team awards:
Biggest Win of the season:
Best performance of the season:
Most Enjoyable Win:
Biggest Defeat:
Utter, utter shambolic performance:
Most Sickening Defeat:

Fans Awards:
Largest Attendance of the season:
Match which had the best atmosphere:
Worst Atmosphere:
Best Song/Chant of the Season:
A new chant/song sung numerous times over the course of the season:
Biggest away support:
Best away crowd in terms of craic:
Best away crowd in terms of noise:
Away Crowd with the best songs:

Rest of the League Awards:
Best Team:
Worst Team:
Player of the season (excluding own club) :
2nd / 3rd / 4th:
Worst Player:
Favourite Player(s) of another Club:
Manager of the Season:
Most Disliked Manager:
"Gavin Dykes" Biggest Spanner in the League:
Team of the Season (any formation):

OTF eL thread Awards:
User of the Year:
"Brian De Salvo" Best Quote of the Year:
Best Irish Newcomer:
Memorial Award:

De Town
31/12/2005, 11:19 AM
Here was my awards categories for the OTF eL Thread, which shamefully never took off properly:

Player of the season:
Favourite player:
Best Defender:
Best Midfielder:
Best Striker:
Other bad Performers:
Goal of the Season:
Manager(s) Comment:

Team awards:
Most Enjoyable Win:
Biggest Defeat:
Most Sickening Defeat:

Fans Awards:
Worst Atmosphere:
Biggest away support:

Best Team:
Worst Team:
2nd / 3rd / 4th:
Worst Player:
Manager of the Season:
Most Disliked Manager:

OTF eL thread Awards:
User of the Year:
Best Irish Newcomer:
Memorial Award:
Thats a good list you've got there. I would use most of them Slash/ED if I was you.

James
31/12/2005, 11:25 AM
nice idea again Slash/ED
i think aface is snowed under with college / projects and stuff so if ya need a hand give me a shout, im online alot more now then was earlier this year

Conor H
31/12/2005, 12:28 PM

Player of the season:
Favourite player:
Best Defender:
Best Midfielder:
Best Striker:
Other bad Performers:
Goal of the Season:
Manager(s) Comment:

Team awards:
Most Enjoyable Win:
Biggest Defeat:
Most Sickening Defeat:

Fans Awards:
Worst Atmosphere:
Biggest away support:

Best Team:
Worst Team:
2nd / 3rd / 4th:
Worst Player:
Manager of the Season:
Most Disliked Manager:

OTF eL thread Awards:
User of the Year:
Best Irish Newcomer:
Memorial Award:

Ya id go with that list but the only drawback would be with the 1st Divison.I mean there isnt much fans from 1st Divison clubs on here bar Galway,Sligo and Limerick.

EnDai
31/12/2005, 1:19 PM
Ya id go with that list but the only drawback would be with the 1st Divison.I mean there isnt much fans from 1st Divison clubs on here bar Galway,Sligo and Limerick.
Shamrock Rovers :)

Raheny Red
31/12/2005, 1:31 PM
Zing!! :D :D ;)

Conor H
31/12/2005, 2:29 PM
I actually did forget about them....but still they would be voting for the premier awards for 2005...they wont be voting on anything for the 1st Division.

Speranza
31/12/2005, 2:45 PM
Should there not be a rule where we aren't allowed to vote for our own clubs or players?

Battery Rover
31/12/2005, 3:10 PM

Athlone Town

Cosmo
31/12/2005, 3:20 PM
Should there not be a rule where we aren't allowed to vote for our own clubs or players?

I would've thought that was the case? :confused:

sligoman
31/12/2005, 3:23 PM
Athlone TownIn fairness their isn't many of ye on here, and if their is, then yer hiding somewhere cos yer forum is never that busy.

A face
31/12/2005, 10:09 PM
nice idea again Slash/ED
i think aface is snowed under with college / projects and stuff so if ya need a hand give me a shout, im online alot more now then was earlier this year

Being honest i am a bit for the next few weeks, but i will help where possible obviously

monzos list is good

I would just urge people to consider their options i.e. Best improved team, one jumps out straight away .... Derry ... but imo, and if you step back and think about it .... Kilkenny .... obviously, its whatever you think, i am just saying, take time on your choice is all.

The email is the best way of doing i think.

The shortlist .... i'd agree with Anto, that a short list would be easier for people but it would be biased imo (i know i wouldnt intend to but i'd be more familar with City players etc so it is hard to avoid if you know what i mean, maybe next year when its more established) .... so for now i'd say just leave them roll in and see how it goes.

Slash/ED
01/01/2006, 12:59 PM

Well that's what I was saying, do people think this is necessary? If so we'll put in that rule, what do people think?

Being honest i am a bit for the next few weeks, but i will help where possible obviously

Well the good thing for this year as opposed to last is I have the powerpoint presentation from last year you did so I could easily just change the text and update it myself, so if you're busy with college and the like that's obviously more important. The rest of it is just a matter of setting up an e-mail account and counting the votes, I'll be grand doing it on my own.

But cheers anyway, if I need help I'll send you or James a PM or something, but I should be fine. Thanks lads.

For monzo's list, if we combine the two of them it'd be too big really. I'll pick which categorys I think are best while trying to limit the amount we put in.

A face
01/01/2006, 2:16 PM
Well that's what I was saying, do people think this is necessary? If so we'll put in that rule, what do people think?

Well the good thing for this year as opposed to last is I have the powerpoint presentation from last year you did so I could easily just change the text and update it myself, so if you're busy with college and the like that's obviously more important. The rest of it is just a matter of setting up an e-mail account and counting the votes, I'll be grand doing it on my own.

But cheers anyway, if I need help I'll send you or James a PM or something, but I should be fine. Thanks lads.

For monzo's list, if we combine the two of them it'd be too big really. I'll pick which categorys I think are best while trying to limit the amount we put in.

Yeah ... sounds good Slash !!