PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Doyle

sonofstan
29/12/2005, 1:51 PM
Guardian report on Reading v. Leiceister last night - lead paragraph on what a bargain Doyle was
http://football.guardian.co.uk/Match_Report/0,1527,1674763,00.html

A face
29/12/2005, 5:08 PM
Nothing new in there ...... It is looking like Reading are going up alright though, and the shame City fans will feel when every bar stooler in the country get wind of this will be unreal. The damage Dolan has done on this one is untold and the worst is yet to come i think.

sonofstan
29/12/2005, 6:33 PM
interesting also that Coppell bought Convey - who scored a great goal against Wolves on stephen's day - from his american team for 800k - about 10 times Doyle's fee - from a barely more prestigious league; a league in which EL players such as Richie Baker and Paul Keegan have done well

A face
29/12/2005, 6:41 PM
interesting also that Coppell bought Convey - who scored a great goal against Wolves on stephen's day - from his american team for 800k - about 10 times Doyle's fee - from a barely more prestigious league; a league in which EL players such as Richie Baker and Paul Keegan have done well

sonofstan .... you have hit the nail on the head there fella .... that is actually the size of it. The clubs seriously need to sort themselves out.

Dodge
29/12/2005, 6:47 PM
Don't forgot the sell price was in his contract with Cork...

dancinpants
29/12/2005, 6:49 PM

A now come on, I think the MLS is of a much higher quality than the EL, and thats in ALL aspects. You can't use two examples of players doing "well" to suggest that the MLS is "barely" better than the EL.

Now don't get me wrong, when I say that I'm not agreeing that we sell our players for what they're worth coz I don't.

A face
29/12/2005, 7:15 PM
Don't forgot the sell price was in his contract with Cork...

I'll never forget it .... i'll bring it to my grave.

Dodge
29/12/2005, 7:28 PM
At least you got something for him...

A face
29/12/2005, 7:45 PM
At least you got something for him...

Well agreed on that at least but you'd get a percentage of anything we get.
I am just sorry because it has opened a can of worms now with every two-bit club coming in looking for players on the cheap. For all his preaching, he then went and stitched us up like that .... filth !!

Dodge
29/12/2005, 11:32 PM
Please see sig ;)

EireBadBoy
29/12/2005, 11:50 PM
Doyle eased any nerves with his superbly taken goal. "It is typical of what he has been about," said Coppell. "He was up to speed when he signed. He had had five months in the Irish league when he came to us, so it was not like he needed a pre-season."

I thought he was playing with Cork :confused:

:D

MrJoeSoap
29/12/2005, 11:53 PM
A "league" in Ireland is an "Irish League". :D

EnDai
30/12/2005, 8:19 AM
A now come on, I think the MLS is of a much higher quality than the EL, and thats in ALL aspects. You can't use two examples of players doing "well" to suggest that the MLS is "barely" better than the EL.

Now don't get me wrong, when I say that I'm not agreeing that we sell our players for what they're worth coz I don't.
I dunno, apparently Avery John was voted "best defender" over there not too long ago... ;)

tiktok
04/01/2006, 9:06 AM
A now come on, I think the MLS is of a much higher quality than the EL, and thats in ALL aspects.

I'd completely disagree based on first hand experience of both.

Certainly there are teams in the EL who wouldn't live in the MLS, but there are also MLS teams who wouldn't survive over here, the two leagues are technically on a par IMO with the MLS maybe shading it in terms of fitness and facilities (but that's misleading as there aren't dedicated 'soccer' stadia there). To say there's a huge difference is well off IMO though.

The regional leagues (or minors or whatever you want to call tham) are far far below the level of the EL first Division

drummerboy
04/01/2006, 12:05 PM
I think the big difference between Convey and Doyle is that Convey was already an international

ThatGuy
04/01/2006, 12:25 PM
I dunno, apparently Avery John was voted "best defender" over there not too long ago... ;)
Well as Avery is a class act and better than any centre-halves in the Eircom League that can't be much of a shock.

Macy
04/01/2006, 12:27 PM
Well as Avery is a class act and better than any centre-halves in the Eircom League that can't be much of a shock.
And how's his mother these days?

ThatGuy
04/01/2006, 12:34 PM
And how's his mother these days?
Who can blame a player with international prospects from looking to get away from a part-time club in Longford?

Longfordian
04/01/2006, 3:49 PM
That c**t cost us a few thousand in medical bills and wages when he got injured "visiting his sick mother" ..in South Africa. Then he had the nerve to come back to Dublin and charge more physio bills to the club when he'd been thrown out weeks ago. Good enough for him that we kept him out of football for a year nearly.That said I'll be amused to see one of his 'special' tackles coming in on Becks in Germany!