PDA

View Full Version : Bananas last year in Sligo

shedhead
22/12/2005, 3:53 PM
Sligo keeper eyes English chance

December 22, 2005

Sligo Rovers goalkeeper Alvin Rouse admits he would love the chance to forge a career in English professional football.

Barbados native Rouse, 23, made an impression after joining Rovers in 2004 but behind John O’Hara, a close-season signing from the American college scene, earlier this year.

He admits he is happy at the Showgrounds, where he was part of the Rovers squad which lifted the eircom League First Division crown in November, but harbours an ambition to test himself in the rigours of the English league at the end of next season.

He told Bajan newspaper Nation News recently: “My ambition is to move from Ireland and go into Europe, hopefully to England to play professionally, since I would have qualified to play in England by spending three seasons in Ireland.

"Right now, I am at home to rest until the end of January. There will be no out-of-season football for me.

"I can’t risk getting injured. I have another year of my contract in Ireland left and the season starts back in March.”

sligoman
22/12/2005, 4:04 PM
hopefully to England to play professionally, since I would have qualified to play in England by spending three seasons in Ireland.Sounds like he was just using us as a way to gain entry to play in England?:confused:.

shedhead
22/12/2005, 4:05 PM
Goalie wins in Ireland

Date November 25, 2005
Brief Goalie wins in Ireland
by EZRA STUART

BARBADIAN goalkeeper Alvin Rouse is eagerly looking forward to his third season as a professional footballer in Ireland and also returning home next year to play in the Digicel Caribbean Cup.

Rouse's team Sligo Rove

by EZRA STUART

BARBADIAN goalkeeper Alvin Rouse is eagerly looking forward to his third season as a professional footballer in Ireland and also returning home next year to play in the Digicel Caribbean Cup.

Rouse's team Sligo Rovers won the Irish First Division Championship with 61 points from 36 matches, gaining promotion to the prestigious Premier Division.

"Next season is going to be a big year. We don't want to be a one-hit wonder and get demoted after one season like our North West rivals, Finn Harps, who won Division 1 last year but got relegated this season," Rouse said.

The 25-year-old spent most of his time on the bench as second-choice goalkeeper to Irish No.1 John O'Hara, who was named among three nominees for the First Division PFAI Player Of The Year.

But it was a great learning experience for the former Barbados Defence Force custodian.

When he was given a rare opportunity against Kilkenny in a top-of-the-table clash in the first round, Rouse displayed his skills, making a number of important saves to keep a clean sheet as the Rovers won 2-0.

"That was the biggest game of the season. At that stage, they had ten wins out of 11 games and they were the best team in the country and we defeated them," he said.

"But the beginning of the season was a bit frustrating.

"I went back to Ireland as the No.1 goalkeeper but I caught the flu just before the season started and John came in and really played well, so I can't fault the manager (Sean Connor) for playing him," Rouse said.

"He is an Ireland international and I learnt a lot from him. Even though I wasn't playing, I learnt a lot and I am a better player. The standard in Ireland is very good.

"A lot of the other clubs were interested in signing me, telling me, 'You are unlucky not to be getting regular first-team play' but I had already signed a two-year contract and the manager didn't want to release me for what these clubs were offering," Rouse said.

Overall, Rouse played in three Cup matches and two in the League but he is hoping to get more opportunities next season.

"You have just got to wait and see how the tables turn because the same thing that happened to me last season when I was sick could happen to him.

"In professional football, you must grab every chance you get," he added.

The 6ft, 5in Rouse, who played junior football for Barbados, is also exploring other opportunities locally and overseas.

"My ambition is to move from Ireland and go into Europe, hopefully to England to play professionally, since I would have qualified to play in England by spending three seasons in Ireland," he said.

"If Barbados come calling to Sligo Rovers, the club would let me represent my country and I would make myself available," he added.

"Right now, I am at home to rest until the end of January. There will be no out-of-season football for me.

"I can't risk getting injured. I have another year of my contract in Ireland left and the season starts back in March," Rouse said.

He also has some advice for local footballers.

"There are opportunities out there if you have the right contacts, but our players need to be more disciplined and committed.

"Discipline goes a long way in becoming a professional footballer."

gustavo
22/12/2005, 4:12 PM
"My ambition is to move from Ireland and go into Europe, hopefully to England
His geography isnt the best:)

The Stars
22/12/2005, 7:05 PM
well england is in Europe so whats the problem?

gustavo
22/12/2005, 7:36 PM
Ireland is in Europe therefore he is already in Europe

Redtop
23/12/2005, 2:03 PM
i'd say he meant france or somewhere like that

Red4Eva
23/12/2005, 9:30 PM
one thing's for certain if banana quits da football, he could get a job as a geography teacher in summerhill