PDA

View Full Version : Shelbourne considering an offer for Weso

Pages : [1] 2 3

Raheny Red
22/12/2005, 2:19 PM
From Shels Web:

http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=215

Wesley Hoolahan to leave. Jason Byrne's move to Djurgårdens back on.

Shelsweb has learned that Pat Fenlon is considering an offer from Livingston FC for talented midfielder Wesley Hoolahan. While Shelbourne fans will be shocked at the news, Wesley has long harboured an ambition to play in Britain.

Meanwhile, Jason Byrne's "on again, off again" move to Djurgårdens of Sweden appears to be back on. While negotiations are not complete, it seems likely now that the clubs will agree terms over the coming days.

Pat Fenlon also described rumours that Glen Crowe would be leaving Tolka Park as "rubbish". He told us, "Glen is very much part of my plans for next season."

It's getting worse!! :o :mad:

Macy
22/12/2005, 2:21 PM
It's getting worse!! :o :mad:
Is that with Hoolahan leaving or Crowe staying? :D

sullanefc
22/12/2005, 2:40 PM
Is that with Hoolahan leaving or Crowe staying? :D

Baddum :D

Is it just me or is there extra interest in LOI players from clubs abroad these days since Kevin Doyle proved to be such a success in the championship and with Irish clubs doing so well in Europe.

In a strange way this could prove beneficial to the LOI as it shows that playing for a LOI club in Europe can put you in the shop window for some big clubs. Could be a selling point for Damien Richardson, Pat Fenlon and Paul Doolin when trying to attract players to their clubs.

IMO these managers should be looking to good players, stuck in reserve teams for Premiership clubs and other foreign teams.

pete
22/12/2005, 2:56 PM
In a strange way this could prove beneficial to the LOI as it shows that playing for a LOI club in Europe can put you in the shop window for some big clubs. Could be a selling point for Damien Richardson, Pat Fenlon and Paul Doolin when trying to attract players to their clubs.

I think it all depends on the quality of clubs the players moving too. Certainly Doyles move may show players that if they good enough can move to the UK to decent club. Reading at 20 points clear of automatic promotion so most likely that Doyle will be in the Premiership less than 12 months after leaving Cork City.

I'm surprised if Hoolahan would be interested in Livingston as SPL is muck & also be surprised if they could afford him.

stickyjoe
22/12/2005, 3:04 PM
whatever about Byrne leaving to sign for a club at the top end of the Swedish League I think it would be a disaster for our league and for Hoolihan if he went to Livingston who are a dreadful team and involved in a two horse race for relegation to the illustrious Scottish First Division

However if he does sign for Livingston(BTW a franchise) listen to the Irish Media push for him to be called into the Irish squad:rolleyes:

dcfcsteve
22/12/2005, 3:12 PM

Was Stephen Kenny not deemed worthy of mention in there along with Rico and those third-rate managers.... ? :confused:

Macy
22/12/2005, 3:14 PM
Was Stephen Kenny not deemed worthy of mention in there along with Rico and those third-rate managers.... ? :confused:
Well he'd certainly fit in with any third rate manager list!

dcfcsteve
22/12/2005, 3:20 PM
Well he'd certainly fit in with any third rate manager list!

Says the fan of a team who would move heaven and earth to get him back.. !

We'll make sure to send the Longford team a postcard from Europe this year. Oh - and a couple from Belfast as well.... :D

Dricky
22/12/2005, 3:36 PM
Windows Europe all that lark. Bottom line is they don't have the money.

In saying that it's good to see some cash offer coming in for them rather than the change players have been going for. case and point Doyle.

Slash/ED
22/12/2005, 6:25 PM
F*cking Livingstone. Where is the logic in that?

Given his age he is worth more than Jayo, we better get good value for him. I think he would be very badly advised to goto Scotland though, aside from the obvious of it not being a very good league it simply wouldn't suit him nearly as much as a move to the continent style wise. His game is ideal for a move to the continent, not to bloody Livingstone.

Poor Student
22/12/2005, 6:32 PM
F*cking Livingstone. Where is the logic in that?

Given his age he is worth more than Jayo, we better get good value for him. I think he would be very badly advised to goto Scotland though, aside from the obvious of it not being a very good league it simply wouldn't suit him nearly as much as a move to the continent style wise. His game is ideal for a move to the continent, not to bloody Livingstone.

There's no "e" in Livingston. I think some eL fans are starting to get deluded. We are not as good as the SPL. The SPL is a step up. Hoolihan could step up a league and guarantee himself a place. He would also have the opportunity to work under and play beside a European Cup winner. I can't believe Livingston could afford him though, they are not loaded to say the least.

Slash/ED
22/12/2005, 6:36 PM
There's no "e" in Livingston. I think some eL fans are starting to get deluded. We are not as good as the SPL. The SPL is a step up. Hoolihan could step up a league and guarantee himself a place. He would also have the opportunity to work under and play beside a European Cup winner. I can't believe Livingston could afford him though, they are not loaded to say the least.

A step up yes in terms of the league, thanks to Celtic and Rangers, but Livingston are second bottom of the SPL. Shels are a better side than they are. He could do alot better, and a move to a similar quality league on the continent would suit him far, far more.

thejollyrodger
22/12/2005, 6:59 PM
Byrne can go if the price is right. As for Weso's move. What a waste of time and energy.

jorge
22/12/2005, 7:51 PM
Livingston? Livingston? ****ing Livingston???

Poor Student this is a step down,end of.

higgins
22/12/2005, 7:58 PM
Its a better league and if he plays well enough he will get snapped up by a better club as they watch more of the SPL then the EL.

If things dont go right for him he could be back in a shels jersey in 6 months couldnt he depending on contract?

I think it would be a good move for Weso if he has no other offers but of course from shels point of view 300K does seem low for him and just as I type that I think of 125K as being the current record ?? Are we getting ahead of ourselves.

If the price is right its a good move for all involved, same as with Jayo.

pineapple stu
22/12/2005, 8:09 PM
I think some eL fans are starting to get deluded. We are not as good as the SPL. The SPL is a step up.
I don't normally go in for the whole "the eL is great" lark, but take Celtic, Rangers and maybe Hearts out of the SPL and the rest is as good as the top half of the eL. European results have repeatedly shown there isn't much between the leagues. Bohs beat Aberdeen, Shels lost by a single goal against Kilmarnock a few years ago, Pat's drew with Celtic, Shels went 3-0 up on Rangers. And that's not to mention some of the embarrassing defeats SPL sides have suffered in recent years - Aberdeen to Skonto Riga, Dundee to MyPa, Dunfermline to Hafnarfjordur (Iceland), Kilmarnock beating Glentoran 2-0 on aggregate before losing to a (not Rosenborg) Norweigan team, Livingston beating Vaduz on penalties, Hibs getting hammered in the First Round of the UEFA Cup... And that's with receiveing E42,000,000 a year in TV money!

Livi in particular are in serious trouble - financial as well as on the pitch, I think - are very much in danger of going down and I would say aren't as good a team as Shels. About they only thing they have going for them, unfortunately, is games in Ibrox and Celtic Park. If Hoolahan does want to move cross-channel, I'd wait for a bigger team than Livi.

Alternatively, what's your rule about threads on the SPL? ;)

Mayo Red
22/12/2005, 8:10 PM
whatever about Byrne leaving to sign for a club at the top end of the Swedish League I think it would be a disaster for our league and for Hoolihan if he went to Livingston who are a dreadful team and involved in a two horse race for relegation to the illustrious Scottish First Division

However if he does sign for Livingston(BTW a franchise) listen to the Irish Media push for him to be called into the Irish squad:rolleyes:

I'd have to agree. Outside of Celtic, Rangers and Hearts this season the SPL is uncompetitive and no great shakes.

higgins
22/12/2005, 8:22 PM
and how would you rank the EL outside of Cork Derry and Shels last season?

You may not like it but Rangers Celtic and Hearts are actually part of the SPL :eek: I know it doesnt seem real but it is.

SPL is better then EL,
Shels may be better then Livingston but playing for Livingston has more going for it in terms of moving upwards then Shels appears to have. How long should he wait in the EL for? Will the right club ever come knocking? Its worth a shot going to the SPL its not like its only a one way ticket.

Soper
22/12/2005, 8:57 PM
To be honest, I feel that a move to them wouldn't be a wise one.I think the top players in the EL can make it in the English Championship easily, without a doubt, having seen numerous games of that standard.So in essence, Wes should be looking at a move to the Championship, which is well within his grasp, in my opinion, or even to a better placed team in Scotland.

sullanefc
22/12/2005, 9:04 PM

Apologies. Simply forgot him, not a dig.

jorge
22/12/2005, 9:08 PM
Will the right club ever come knocking? Its worth a shot going to the SPL its not like its only a one way ticket.

He has a MUCH better chance of getting spotted at Shels than 'playing with a European cup winner(that should lure him to a **** team:eek: :rolleyes: )' at Livingston.

A face
23/12/2005, 12:30 AM
I think some eL fans are starting to get deluded. We are not as good as the SPL. The SPL is a step up.

PS ... you are normally spot on so i'm not going to wade in here, but in all fairness fella ... you are wide of the mark here. I have seen the top half of SPL (never seen Sell-Thick or Rangers i'll admit) a fair bit and you're wrong. Stadia, media, sponsorship fair enough but i am telling you, YOU are deluded ... SPL is not what you are making it out to be. Livingston aint a step up.

Plastic Paddy
23/12/2005, 7:07 AM
The story in today's Glasgow Herald has Hoolahan moving for £100k. Shels are holding out, but I can't see Livi paying more than about £125k... it'll be a few more weeks yet before we see the first £1m eL player, no? :rolleyes: ;)

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/53082.html

:ball: PP

drinkfeckarse
23/12/2005, 8:22 AM
SPL is a better league but Livingston are sh!te, he'd be better off staying at Shels.

Tenderloins
23/12/2005, 8:45 AM
I dont even know if Livingston is a decent "Shop Window". The last player Livingston sold to a club with a better chance of success was David Fernandez to Celtic for £1,000,000 in 2002.
Compare that to a team like their rivals Motherwell, where James McFadden, Stephen Pearson, Lee McCullogh, Ged Brannan,Steve McMillan and Stuart Elliot have all moved for hefty fees in that period.

paudie
23/12/2005, 8:54 AM
He has a MUCH better chance of getting spotted at Shels than 'playing with a European cup winner(that should lure him to a **** team:eek: :rolleyes: )' at Livingston.

But he's played a load of European games (and played very well IMO) in the last 2 seasons with Shels and obviously hasn't been spotted, or at least hasn't impressed anybody enough to make Shels a decent offer.

He probably thinks that he will have a higher profile in SPL even at a terrible team like Livi and has a better chance of a move. Whether he's right or not is another matter.

Noel Hunt, Richie Byrne, Demspey and Richie Foran probably hoped they'd be in the shop window when they went to the SPL but that hasn't happened.

Poor Student
23/12/2005, 9:47 AM
The 4th placed team in the SPL is currently in the last 16 of the European Cup (albeit with a big slice of luck) and people want to dispute what league is better? Tenderloins, the last Livingston player to take a step up and make it is Marvin Andrews off the top of my head. If Hoolihan is as good as he is made out to be then he will set the world alight at Livingston and get a move. The reason why Hunt, Byrne, Dempsey and Byrne have never moved on is that they have proved to be distinctly average players in the SPL.

Shelsman
23/12/2005, 10:00 AM
The 4th placed team in the SPL is currently in the last 16 of the European Cup (albeit with a big slice of luck) and people want to dispute what league is better?

Have to agree. Most of the SPL are bigger clubs than any of the eL teams ( just look at their stadiums and attendances ). Also look at some games on TV before you make up your mind.

The reason why Hunt, Byrne, Dempsey and Byrne have never moved on is that they have proved to be distinctly average players in the SPL.

Good point, good examples, although Foran would be the best of these and was better than a lot of other eL strikers when he was here ( though this wouldn't be the case now as Jason Byrne would be much much better as well as a few others -Steve O'Flynn, Neale Fenn, and even Glen Crowe :eek: ).

pineapple stu
23/12/2005, 3:07 PM
The 4th placed team in the SPL is currently in the last 16 of the European Cup
In fairness, they're only the fourth-placed team in Scotland because their form in the league is at an all-time record poor level. No other club - bar Celtic - would be able to qualify. The current third placed team in Scotland got knocked out in the First Round of the UEFA Cup - same as Cork. The league leaders lost in the second qualiying round of the CL - same as Shels. Once-offs can prove a lot of things.

The SPL is better than the eL, but I honestly think only because of Celtic and Rangers (and maybe Hearts now they're getting bankrolled). Shels are a better side than Livi. Shels play European football regularly (everyone of the last 12 seasons or so), Livi don't. The eL is now getting a lot more TV coverage, which I would imagine would make it easier for UK clubs to spot players. It's also getting a lot more interest from around Europe - Djurgarden and Heerenveen (and Fribourg! :)) among the European teams to be in the hunt for players from eL clubs. In short, the eL is moving forward, while the SPL isn't. If Hoolahan does want to get a move to the UK, playing against Gretna and Morton next season won't achieve it. I still think it's a strange move. Still, E200k would make it one of the highest transfer values of recent years, so it's nice to see something's going in the right direction.

Think the eL has to be careful that it doesn't start going backwards because its best players get bought in big-money deals. Shels (and Cork) would want to ensure that part of their transfer fees are put into getting better replacements to keep the league moving forward.

Poor Student
23/12/2005, 3:26 PM
I am not reccomending the move for Hoolihan but I don't think people should come out all guns blazing making it sound like utter insanity and getting almost condescending towards better leagues. Yes Shels play regular European football but regular preliminary rounds, and sometimes only one. You're only likely to be spotted by your opposition that way.

You can't exclude the Old Firm when deciding the quality of the SPL as Higgins said, it's like removing Cork and Derry out of the equation for the eL. If you then say Hearts are only any use due to being bankrolled then you could remove Drogheda too. By the way, Hearts were only a result away from the UEFA Cup 3rd round last season. Hoolahan would be testing himself against better teams on a more regular basis even if he wasn't playing European preliminary round football regularly. Might not be the move I'd go for but lets try to get things in conext here and not talk up the league to a level it isn't and villify players who have the audacity to actually move to what they perceive to be a step up.

pineapple stu
23/12/2005, 3:36 PM
Yes Shels play regular European football but regular preliminary rounds, and sometimes only one.
Very similar to the Scottish teams then!

You can't exclude the Old Firm when deciding the quality of the SPL as Higgins said, it's like removing Cork and Derry out of the equation for the eL.
I think the point is more that Livi aren't a better team than Shels and that, in itself, it's a move down. Most of Livi's games - say v Dunfermline, Dundee, Killie, etc. - wouldn't be overly much above eL games; it's only the one in three games against Hearts, Celtic and Rangers which would be noticeably better. The only way to really compare the teams is through European results, and most European results which don't involve Hearts, Celtic or Rangers and the rest of the SPL in last few years hasn't shown itself to be noticeable above the eL.

If you then say Hearts are only any use due to being bankrolled then you could remove Drogheda too.
I'd love to! :D

Must find a Livi forum and see what they're saying.

ThatGuy
23/12/2005, 3:48 PM
IMO you all need a reality check if you think Rangers and Celtic aside the league here is the same as it is there. Cork and Shels aside (and maybe Derry), the rest of the teams here are diabolical.

Poor Student
23/12/2005, 3:57 PM
Very similar to the Scottish teams then!

I think the point is more that Livi aren't a better team than Shels and that, in itself, it's a move down. Most of Livi's games - say v Dunfermline, Dundee, Killie, etc. - wouldn't be overly much above eL games; it's only the one in three games against Hearts, Celtic and Rangers which would be noticeably better. The only way to really compare the teams is through European results, and most European results which don't involve Hearts, Celtic or Rangers and the rest of the SPL in last few years hasn't shown itself to be noticeable above the eL.

Most European results which don't involve Celtic, Rangers or Hearts? So we'll just exclude the European results of lets say Shels, Cork and Bohs over the last 10 years and base the strength of the league on European results on the likes of Longford over the last two seasons will we? This sort of thing happens in terms of the EPL and SPL too. Players leaving the Old Firm to join smaller poorer performing clubs in the lower half of the EPL table to move to a higher standard of league. The top 4 of the SPL are better than all eL clubs. Kilmarnock, Motherwell and Inverness are possibly just as good too, obviously it is impossible to work these things out.

Here's a story from the Scottish tabloid the Daily Record which contains the Hoolahan rumour. Seems Livingston want to play hardball too. Hopefully Shels won't be held to ransom.

Raheny Red
23/12/2005, 4:11 PM
Here is whay the Livi fans have to say

http://www.livilions.co.uk/boards/showthread.php?t=16694

They seem to be looking forward to him!!

Poor Student
23/12/2005, 4:14 PM
Here is whay the Livi fans have to say

http://www.livilions.co.uk/boards/showthread.php?t=16694

They seem to be looking forward to him!!

Not really. They seem to be more concerned over Pearson and Agathe. Any excitement is based purely on the opinion they got off the Shels forum. See that's what I am saying about context. One of the worst clubs in the SPL is apparently near signing one of the eL's top prospects and it is barely noticed and their fans reaction is tame. That's how well known Hoolahan is from an outside perspective.

Raheny Red
23/12/2005, 4:55 PM
Yes they are mainly talking about Pearson and Agathe but at least there is some interest in weso

pineapple stu
23/12/2005, 10:33 PM
One of the worst clubs in the SPL is apparently near signing one of the eL's top prospects and it is barely noticed and their fans reaction is tame. That's how well known Hoolahan is from an outside perspective.
Reading fans never heard of Keith Doyle until recently either. It's how well known he is among scouts that matters, not fans.

Slash/ED
23/12/2005, 10:42 PM
Reading fans never heard of Keith Doyle until recently either. It's how well known he is among scouts that matters, not fans.

Doubt many know who he is now either :p

pete
24/12/2005, 8:38 AM
Obviously the SPL as a whole is better than the eL. However Shels or Cork City would beat Livingston 9 time sout of 10. SPL is useless outsdie of the top 10 & top eL sides would meatch easily.

Kilmarnock sold player to Rangers for 500k this week to put some perspective in there.

I would be surprised if Livingstone improved Hoolahan in terms of training & coaching. IMO playing european football is of huge benefit to eL players as gives great tactical insight.

I don't think Fenlon has a place in his team for Hoolahan which is why he will sell if price is right (figures mentioned are low). Hoolahan is not a winger & no place in central midfield?

MrJoeSoap
24/12/2005, 11:09 AM
Wes is a winger... and a great one at that.

Maynard
24/12/2005, 3:39 PM
Read on Aertel that the fee was around 25,000:eek: Surely they'd be nuts to let him go for that? Gary O'Neill is worth twice that nevermind Weso...

EnDai
24/12/2005, 4:43 PM
They're missing a zero...

pineapple stu
24/12/2005, 4:44 PM
Doubt many know who he is now either :p
Doh-eth!:o

Sheridan
24/12/2005, 5:16 PM
Whatever about Daryl Murphy, Kevin Doyle or Jason Byrne, if Hoolahan is sold for €250,000 the league should simply be dissolved.

Also, anyone else a mite suspicious that Shels' most valuable assets are seemingly bound for foreign shores after a season in which the clubs' visibility around Europe was infinitely lower than the level attained in 2004? Two improbable, speculative bids for the clubs' top players within a fortnight? Or has someone within Shelbourne been alerting clubs to their availability for financial reasons?

Ceirtlis
24/12/2005, 5:40 PM
I dont think it would be a good move for wes. Livingston are going nowhere and Shels imo are definetly a better team. having said that were the likes of aberdeen or motherwell were to come in for him it would be a good move.
Sorry for going off topic but i think people read too much into the kevin doyle transfer yes he has been a success and fair play to him but there have been many poor transfers with loi players like colin hawkins,trevor molloy,darren kelly and brian shelly who is back playing in the premier division after being released by carlisle while they were in the conference. also the league of ireland internal transfer record is only something like 60000 so you cant expect foreign clubs to pay 10 times this for our players.

zanderclark
25/12/2005, 11:24 PM
i am a livi fan and if wes is as good as use all say i would love him to come to us but if he becomes a success he will be sold for £1 million to one of the two big clubs i.e. Rangers and Celtic they do that with all the good wee players that scottish teams have the buy the league

as he is an attacking midfielder in my opinion thats what livi need expessially is we are trying to get agathe from celtic on loan if he some he will be attacking right mid and wes att left mid with brittian and vincze in midfield and he is ment to have a great cross and goes past players for fun

i cant wait to see him in the colours of yellow and black

Slash/ED
26/12/2005, 7:40 PM
Whatever about Daryl Murphy, Kevin Doyle or Jason Byrne, if Hoolahan is sold for €250,000 the league should simply be dissolved.

Agreed, it would be a sad day for the league not just Shels.

zanderclark
29/12/2005, 3:42 PM
does anyone know if he signed or not as he was ment to make up his mind yesterday :confused:

Raheny Red
29/12/2005, 3:53 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/livingston/4566882.stm

Livingston will turn their attention to Gillingham striker Steve Hislop should they complete the £100,000 signing of Shelbourne winger Wesley Hoolahan.

A Livi spokesman said: "We are still talking with Shelbourne over Wesley, but nothing is imminent and no deadline has been set.

£100,000 signing of Shelbourne winger Wesley Hoolahan.

:rolleyes: :mad: :mad:

That's a joke, this is an embarresment of a fee for an outstanding skillful player!!

Gareth
29/12/2005, 4:01 PM
http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=218

News Update.