PDA

View Full Version : Sean Prunty

RockofGibraltar
22/12/2005, 10:57 AM
According to yesterdays Mirror, cork are on the verge of signing him to replace Liam Kearney.

I thought the club had offered him a new contract?

Longfordian
22/12/2005, 1:50 PM
He's been offered a two year contract. It said it in the same article something along the lines of "Longford will not let Prunty go easily and have offered him a new two year contract". Up to him whether he wants to move to Cork. Obviously I hope he doesn't

town73
22/12/2005, 4:30 PM
Rock, time to take the unhappy face off the post. Sean signs. (http://www.longfordtownfc.com)

Maz
22/12/2005, 7:13 PM
Am delighted he is staying but Sean came very close to leave 2 days ago because no movement was made towards him about his contract.

What is with the club and the time it takes to get players to resign or sign contracts? I would have been extremely annoyed if we had lost Sean

Macy
23/12/2005, 10:04 AM
Am delighted he is staying but Sean came very close to leave 2 days ago because no movement was made towards him about his contract.

What is with the club and the time it takes to get players to resign or sign contracts? I would have been extremely annoyed if we had lost Sean
Convenient that a story leaked to the papers about other interest then, eh?

btw as a matter of interest was it purely on getting the physical contract, or was he holding out for more money?

Maz
23/12/2005, 1:31 PM
Convenient that a story leaked to the papers about other interest then, eh?

btw as a matter of interest was it purely on getting the physical contract, or was he holding out for more money?
He was trying to get contact from the club..unreturned calls etc

obwon
23/12/2005, 2:39 PM
He's not the first player who was left waiting in limbo for a new contract...!!
Look at the younger players who should have been tied down to long term contracts e.g Graham Gartland , Sean Dillon , Barry Ferguson and reports have it that Paisley hasn't put pen to paper just yet...!!

Maz
23/12/2005, 2:45 PM
He's not the first player who was left waiting in limbo for a new contract...!!
Look at the younger players who should have been tied down to long term contracts e.g Graham Gartland , Sean Dillon , Barry Ferguson and reports have it that Paisley hasn't put pen to paper just yet...!!
Oh come on there is a difference in waiting for a contract and not having enought cash to keep them here

obwon
30/12/2005, 1:12 PM
Correct Maz but when gaffer goes around telling papers that deal is done when it's not there's something wrong.He's getting rid of the mail nucleus of the future of Longford Town and bringing in older lads like Vinny Arkins..shocking management as from what I have heard offers were not even made to the players mentioned...they were given permission to talk to other clubs and when they did..all **** hit the fan and Matthews blamed it on the player's when it was in fact of his doing..!! for example how low key was Seanie Dillon's exit from the club...??:ball:

Maz
30/12/2005, 6:33 PM
Sean Dillon wont renew because we dont have the money. Money is all that matters. We dont have money to match Shels et all

Wiseguy
03/01/2006, 8:47 AM
The club had the chance to tie down every player that was out of contract during the season and didn't.They dragged their heels and messed players around which gave other clubs the chance to come in and turn their heads.All this dark forces in the dressing crap was just a story to divert the attention away from the real people who were at fault for the situation arising in the first place.Some peope at the club need a kick in the hole and a big one at that.

Maz
03/01/2006, 1:34 PM
Its a story I have heard from a few people. The only ones that didnt re-sign went to other clubs in favour of full time football and more money.

obwon
04/01/2006, 12:24 PM
Wiseguy seems to have his head screwed on and knows the inside of the club..correct in exactly what he is saying..Longfordian gone very quiet..!!

Longfordian
04/01/2006, 12:30 PM
New Year's resolution not to indulge people on here..

Frank 99er
04/01/2006, 12:37 PM
Some peope at the club need a kick in the hole and a big one at that.

You could do with a sharp one too..:eek:

Macy
04/01/2006, 12:39 PM
New Year's resolution not to indulge people on here..
Sounds like a good one, might make it my belated one too....

Nipper
04/01/2006, 1:17 PM
Not necessarily talking about Sean here, but eL players have the whole Premier Division bled dry...no harm letting them sweat over contracts for a while.

There's only a couple of clubs left willing to pay crazy money for a mediocre return.

Wiseguy
05/01/2006, 9:24 AM
You could do with a sharp one too..:eek:

Why exactly?
It's like this,i am an LTFC fan and always will be.I will try and make every game possible next season and support the team,the manager and the club but i'm inclined to agree with obwon on some points.Sean Dillon and Graham Gartland are 2 of the best defenders in the league.Given the fact that they are so versatile aswell makes them even more valuable.These players should have been tied down to long term contracts before any chance of them leaving came up.Bringing players like Davy Byrne,Paul Keegan and Shay Kelly to the club is not the way forward.Granted they all did ok but when Mick Dempsey broke his ankle Gary Cassin should have been promoted straight to Diggers sidekick.I understand that money at the club is tight but trimming the squad in a couple of places so we can hold onto our best players makes more sence than letting the good ones go and bringing in players at the end of their career.I can remember so many games that we were chasing last year and looking at the bench thinking to myself that there isn't one player that can be brought on to change this game.Isn't it better having a bench of local youth learning their trade than over paid players who are feck all better.

Macy
05/01/2006, 10:08 AM
Can I ask how we're expected to match the full time contracts of Drogheda, Shels, Bohs etc? A mixed full time/ part time squad makes no sense, even if we could bloody afford to match the wages. Which we can't. And it all assumes you can get the players to sign them, which is bloody hard in this league. It's not as easy as producing a contract and making them sign it.

On local players, whilst it'd be good to see, I think Matthews is stuck between a rock and a hard place. The fans give him no cerdit and jump on him every poor performance, so I don't really blame him for loading the bench with as he see's it with reliable older pro's. Short termism maybe, but I'm not sure there is the will with the fanbase to support this kind of transition. I personally would, as I think this league and the club is being bled dry by average players, helped by a union who I feel has an even shorter term view than the clubs.

max power
05/01/2006, 10:21 AM
wow agreeing with macy again, this is scary........

if you only know the silly wages shels etc are offering players, it makes no business sense and at the end of the day that is what football is, business.

dillo wanted full time and he got it and more money on top if that.

wiseguy, do you want us to play all this local players and end up back in division one ???

OR

pay the wages of shels etc and have no club at all, because we could be bankrupt within months.

alan has been givin a certain budget and he has to live with that, he might be happy but who is with a budget......he now has to make the best of it, which i think he wasn't done to bad with in the past.

Wiseguy
05/01/2006, 10:51 AM
Can I ask how we're expected to match the full time contracts of Drogheda, Shels, Bohs etc? A mixed full time/ part time squad makes no sense, even if we could bloody afford to match the wages. Which we can't. And it all assumes you can get the players to sign them, which is bloody hard in this league. It's not as easy as producing a contract and making them sign it.

On local players, whilst it'd be good to see, I think Matthews is stuck between a rock and a hard place. The fans give him no cerdit and jump on him every poor performance, so I don't really blame him for loading the bench with as he see's it with reliable older pro's. Short termism maybe, but I'm not sure there is the will with the fanbase to support this kind of transition. I personally would, as I think this league and the club is being bled dry by average players, helped by a union who I feel has an even shorter term view than the clubs.

It's not about offering players full time contracts and silly wages.The players at this club or players coming to this club need to accept that we are part time and that's all that they will be offered.The problem that appears to have arisen with some of the contracts was that they were offered a bit late and some players didn't know where thay stood.2 of the players did not want to leave and expected all to be sorted out half way through the season.When it wasn't they had to consider other offers and by then the damage was done.Allegedly more money was offered in the new contract but i think by then decisions had already been made.My point is that if you intend to hold onto players then contracts should be sorted at the earliest point possible so your not in the dark about who you have and haven't coming into a new season.Because of what appears to be stalling on talks with certain players 1 or 2 came very close to leaving.

I agree a bit on the local players but we never got a chance to John Mc Nicholas play last season and he was let go so we may never know how good he is.IMO Adrian Murphy should have been part of Alan's plans and i think he only has Gary Murphy and Gary Cassin on the fringes so it appears that he has some interest in local talent.I don't think we should have a full bench of locals who aren't good enough but i do believe that some of those with potential should be given a chance when possible.It's to the benefit of the club in the long run.

Macy
05/01/2006, 11:32 AM
The problem that appears to have arisen with some of the contracts was that they were offered a bit late and some players didn't know where thay stood.2 of the players did not want to leave and expected all to be sorted out half way through the season.When it wasn't they had to consider other offers and by then the damage was done.Allegedly more money was offered in the new contract but i think by then decisions had already been made.My point is that if you intend to hold onto players then contracts should be sorted at the earliest point possible so your not in the dark about who you have and haven't coming into a new season.Because of what appears to be stalling on talks with certain players 1 or 2 came very close to leaving.
tbh, I take this type of talk with a pince of salt, and is more to do with players covering their arses with the supporters. They're hardly going to say, yeah I wanted more money so that's why I left - always has to be some other reason.

I agree a bit on the local players but we never got a chance to John Mc Nicholas play last season and he was let go so we may never know how good he is.IMO Adrian Murphy should have been part of Alan's plans and i think he only has Gary Murphy and Gary Cassin on the fringes so it appears that he has some interest in local talent.I don't think we should have a full bench of locals who aren't good enough but i do believe that some of those with potential should be given a chance when possible.It's to the benefit of the club in the long run.
I would agree to a certain extent, and have gone on record about how Adrian Murphy should've been given a run instead of Liam Kelly that season, Ditto Cassin this season. I think Adrian Murphy was part of his plans, but wasn't happy to either be a squad player or go on loan and wanted to leave. Hasn't really worked out for him which is a shame, pity he wouldn't come back into the fold now.

Longfordian
05/01/2006, 11:34 AM
Hasn't really worked out for him which is a shame, pity he wouldn't come back into the fold now.

Giving up on EL football now apparently. Concentrating on college. A real pity.

Wiseguy
05/01/2006, 11:42 AM
[QUOTE=Macy]tbh, I take this type of talk with a pince of salt, and is more to do with players covering their arses with the supporters. They're hardly going to say, yeah I wanted more money so that's why I left - always has to be some other reason.

9 out of 10 times i would just pass it off but the fact that i heard it from several different players including some still at LTFC makes me wonder.

Macy
05/01/2006, 11:52 AM
9 out of 10 times i would just pass it off but the fact that i heard it from several different players including some still at LTFC makes me wonder.
One thing that has to be remembered is the total implosion of attendances last season. I can't see how we didn't go very tight there at several stages last season. Probably delayed any talk of this seasons budget.

max power
05/01/2006, 12:48 PM
also money from the league, how much we can raise through fund raising etc

Wiseguy
05/01/2006, 1:57 PM
One thing that has to be remembered is the total implosion of attendances last season. I can't see how we didn't go very tight there at several stages last season. Probably delayed any talk of this seasons budget.

That maybe the reason but nobody can deny that their are 3 or 4 players surplus to requirements at the club along with 1 or 2 staff members and trimming these would free up €2k ??? p.w. to use in other area such as improved contracts for key players.

max power
05/01/2006, 1:59 PM
well you have 4 coaching staff, 1 or 2 physio depends on the health of the sqaud and after that a kit man.......

is that too much ???

Longfordian
05/01/2006, 2:04 PM
Hard to get shut of lads on contracts, whether giving them such contracts was a good idea in the first place is another matter. Fact of the matter is financial reality is hitting home and I think it won't be long before it's doing so on a league wide basis. Wage levels can't keep going at the same rates, average enough players are earning too much money in too many clubs. I don't blame them for seeking what they can get but the EL is definitely spending too much on players for what they return.

Sonic
06/01/2006, 3:02 PM

And what macy is the main reasons for the petering out of attendance figures. Im sorry to say it but the appalling football on show. As i keep saying the usual 500 ppl me and you included will be there through thick and thin but the other 500 possible fans wont unless they believe they are getting value for money. Either matthews changes it or do the honourable thing and leave b4 he relegates us. Everyone goes on about us being poor regarding finance i ask myself is it any wonder.:mad:

Bosco
07/01/2006, 1:09 PM
Giving up on EL football now apparently. Concentrating on college. A real pity.

Worse!Giving up college to start a band.........:eek: :eek: :confused:

Maz
07/01/2006, 1:10 PM
Is he really? Jack of all trades is Murph

De Town
07/01/2006, 3:07 PM
His brother is Jack L's manager.

Just a bit of useless information for you.

Nipper
07/01/2006, 4:50 PM
Nah, he does his sound and sometimes plays bass with him.

Young Murph is into cooler stuff than that. :cool: