PDA

View Full Version : Drogs boss refutes McManaman link

Pages : [1] 2

ThatGuy
21/12/2005, 8:53 PM
http://www.elevenaside.com/droghedautd/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=20558

Drogs boss refutes McManaman link

December 21, 2005

Drogheda United manager Paul Doolin has denied that he is in the running to sign former Liverpool, Real Madrid and England star Steve McManaman.

Wild rumours spread around the County Louth town this week that the FAI Carlsberg Cup winners would strengthen their squad with a stunning swoop for former Champions League winner McManaman.

However, boss Doolin has poured cold water upon the claims, and expressed his doubts that the 33-year-old winger, who has been out of the game for the past ten months, would be keen to play in Ireland.

He told the Irish Sun: “There is nothing in it. I haven’t spoken to him and I am not sure he would like the eircom League.”

sligoman
21/12/2005, 10:41 PM
McManaman playing in the EL, haha class:D.

Snoop Drog
21/12/2005, 11:43 PM
No smoke without fire :D :p

dcfcsteve
22/12/2005, 12:31 AM
McManaman playing for any team in Ireland - absurd.

But Drogheda ??? I've heard it all now.....! :eek: :D

Jaysus - one trophy win and yee's believe that you could have a shot at getting Ronaldinho, Pele, George Best and Dixie Dean. Maybe it's a good thing for sanity levels in Co louth that you don't win things that often.... :p

Snoop Drog
22/12/2005, 12:55 AM
I don't think it's anymore absurd than if he was linked to Derry (absurd but not more absurd :D )

(Doolin) told the Irish Sun: “There is nothing in it. I haven’t spoken to him and I am not sure he would like the eircom League.”

What is there NOT to like :p

Dodge
22/12/2005, 1:10 AM
McManaman is a big Pats fan. I believe he's bought at least 37 kits this xmas alone...

A face
22/12/2005, 1:18 AM
McManaman is a big Pats fan. I believe he's bought at least 37 kits this xmas alone...

22 of those kits were for a team he trains, they were not all his !! ;)

tiktok
22/12/2005, 7:08 AM
Dragging has-beens across the Irish sea for a last pat-day.
Has Roddy moved up to Drogheda recently?

Cosmo
22/12/2005, 7:42 AM
yee's believe that you could have a shot at getting Ronaldinho, Pele, George Best

In fairness, dont be stupid, bestie is dead and pele is too old - ronaldinho is a possibility though - hopefully ho doesnt get jealous of fabio though :)

Tenderloins
22/12/2005, 8:26 AM
McManaman to Drogs, how do they think of the things? He was hardly arsed playing since he left Madrid, as if he'd be arsed playing for Drogheda now!

Macy
22/12/2005, 8:30 AM
McManaman to Drogs, how do they think of the things? He was hardly arsed playing since he left Madrid, as if he'd be arsed playing for Drogheda now!
Not so sure - I mean it'd be a massive step up from city for starters. :D

paudie
22/12/2005, 8:37 AM
Surely his wage demands would be astronomical by EL standards.

Maybe ye could sign him for the Euro games. His experience could be very useful.

ThatGuy
22/12/2005, 11:52 AM
Dragging has-beens across the Irish sea for a last pat-day.
Has Roddy moved up to Drogheda recently?
Not that this transfer will ever happen, but McManaman would be the best player in the league by a mile if he joined a club here.

sullanefc
22/12/2005, 12:05 PM
Not that this transfer will ever happen, but McManaman would be the best player in the league by a mile if he joined a club here.

I don't think so!! Maybe in his hay day, but not now. He contributed nothing while he was at man city and the fact that he is 10 months out of football would suggest he is too unfit to play football here.

Slightly off topic, but when was the last time a top player came over here to play at the end of their career and made an impact. I can't remember. I certainly remember having high expectations when Liam O'Brien joined city 5-6 years ago. How disappointing was that.

Dazzy
22/12/2005, 12:14 PM
I don't think so!! Maybe in his hay day, but not now. He contributed nothing while he was at man city and the fact that he is 10 months out of football would suggest he is too unfit to play football here.

Slightly off topic, but when was the last time a top player came over here to play at the end of their career and made an impact. I can't remember. I certainly remember having high expectations when Liam O'Brien joined city 5-6 years ago. How disappointing was that.

David Kelly for us in 2002 to help us win the cup, not that big of an impact on the league but for us he did!

sligoman
22/12/2005, 12:17 PM
I don't think so!! Maybe in his hay day, but not now.Who in the EL would you suggest is better then?:confused:.

Juz the Hoop
22/12/2005, 12:43 PM
lovely

i can throw notes at him when we play ye in a friendly or the cup. McMoneyman at drogheda, unreal. Yes its 7 years and I havent forgiven him.

KOH

JUZ

Vitruvian Man
22/12/2005, 12:58 PM

Gareth Farrelly as a player is too good for this league and he's only 29/30.

I think the guy has attitude problems, and that is why he is not playing Championship/Premiership football.

That's the EL all over. Full of talent that would have made it, just if they were a little bit faster, bigger, stayed off the gargle, or any of the other small things that divide the good from the great.

ThatGuy
22/12/2005, 1:08 PM

I think the guy has attitude problems, and that is why he is not playing Championship/Premiership football.

That's the EL all over. Full of talent that would have made it, just if they were a little bit faster, bigger, stayed off the gargle, or any of the other small things that divide the good from the great.
Farrelly doesn't drink though does he?

sullanefc
22/12/2005, 1:10 PM
Who in the EL would you suggest is better then?:confused:.

He wouldn't make the Cork City, Derry City or Shelbourne first teams!

dcfcsteve
22/12/2005, 2:22 PM
In fairness, dont be stupid, bestie is dead and pele is too old - ronaldinho is a possibility though - hopefully ho doesnt get jealous of fabio though :)

Hang on - George Best is dead....?!?! :eek:

Vitruvian Man
22/12/2005, 2:31 PM
Farrelly doesn't drink though does he?

Who knows?

He doesn't drink with me anyway.

Rochey
22/12/2005, 3:09 PM
Mcmanaman wouldnt make the cork derry or shels team.

Get real will you, of course he would. Would he want to thats the question.

sullanefc
22/12/2005, 3:11 PM
Get real will you, of course he would. Would he want to thats the question.

He's a has been. He wouldn't get on to any of those teams these days. 7-8 years ago he could have walked on to any team in the world not any more. He is more into his horses these days i'm afraid.

Raheny Red
22/12/2005, 3:19 PM
AFAIK he hasn't been training or involved in any competitive games since March!

Therefore he would be lacking in fitness/awareness/sharpness as well as all round game play.

I agree with sullanefc that he wouldn't get into the cork derry or shels team.

Now Rochey regardless if he wants to or not join the eL - why do you think he would not make it into any of these teams??:confused: :confused: :confused:

pineapple stu
22/12/2005, 3:55 PM
He's a has been.
In fairness, if he's a has been, all of the players in the eL are never weres. Let's not get rose tinted glasses about the quality of the players in the league. Yes, they're good (better than me anyway), yes, the league's getting better and yes, travelling to Ballybofey for a game of a Saturday does for some reason beat sitting in the pub watching a game 200 miles away in a foreign country, but that doesn't mean that someone who scored a goal in the Champions' League Final just a few years ago would be anything other than a brilliant signing for the league.

I assume it's pure idle speculation. But it's better to see "Drogheda deny McManaman link" in the papers rather than "Doncaster deny McManaman link".

diamond
22/12/2005, 5:51 PM
cant believe i agree with stu:eek:
i think people are seriously over rating players in the league. cork fans are still congratulating themselves over 'producing' kevin doyle. best player in the el scoring goals in division 1. fair enough but mc manaman had great career, playing for the to best clubs in europe, possibly the world, liverpool and real madrid. he could be playing with the third best drogheda and would be by far the best player in the league. of course we have no idea what his attitiude would be like and whether he'd just be collecting wages but thats beside the point. he would still be technically head and shoulders above anyone in the league.
as i said doyle is scoring goals in the second tier in england but how many others in the league would. 1 maybe.
the rumour was started when doolin went to england to watch a young striker.not interested in him now, never was lookin at stevie. not true anyway but worth the arguement.

sligoman
22/12/2005, 5:57 PM
He wouldn't make the Cork City, Derry City or Shelbourne first teams!Course he would. Sure he's probably unfit now but if he signed for a team then he'd be back training so he could get back to full fitness and then he'd walk into any team here.

Slash/ED
22/12/2005, 6:28 PM
He'd have the quality obviously, but he is clearly not going to be willing to put any amount of effort in on match days or in training. I'd imagine he will be woefully out of shape and disappear for large periods of most games. I honestly wouldn't want him at Shels, though if he did come over and actually give his all he would quite obviously be sensational.

pineapple stu
22/12/2005, 8:15 PM
Can't believe I agree with stu:eek:
Hey, I'm always right! If we disagree - say, about Doolin having the managerial nous of a brown rat, to pick an example quite at random - then it's obvious you're the one who's wrong! :p

sullanefc
22/12/2005, 9:09 PM
Paul Gascoigne was a class act in his day too. But I was delighted to see City turn him down last year. This league is not going to progress if we sign cross the water has beens. Teams should be looking towards young up coming players.

I'd wager that people on here singing his praises are probably sad, sad, deluded Liverpool fans who worshipped him once upon a time.

Soper
22/12/2005, 9:19 PM
I'd wager that people on here singing his praises are probably sad, sad, deluded Liverpool fans who worshipped him once upon a time.
Agree 100%

pineapple stu
22/12/2005, 9:45 PM
Gazza was about 38 last year. McManaman's 32 or so. Big difference.

sullanefc
22/12/2005, 9:50 PM
Massive Difference :rolleyes:

Are you a Liverpool fan?

ndrog
22/12/2005, 10:00 PM
A fit mcmanaman would make any team in Ireland ,easy.How do people know so much about his attitude ? For the record i dont think theres a pups chance in hell of us signing him.

EnDai
22/12/2005, 10:41 PM
A fit mcmanaman would make any team in Ireland ,easy.How do people know so much about his attitude ?

^^

In a nutshell. He'd need intensive training to get back to standard, but how anyone could write him off is beyond me, provided of course he gave his all.

Dodge
23/12/2005, 12:25 AM

Get ****ing real, he's not even bohs best midfielder. Just because he's an international doesn't mean he's any use...

Snoop Drog
23/12/2005, 12:30 AM
A fit mcmanaman would make any team in Ireland.

And I'd wager that a not-fully fit mcManaman would probably STILL make any team (and I'm not a Liverpool fan).

When Dwight Yorke arrived at Sydney FC he wasn't fully fit but was still head and shoulders above the rest of the side (ok, strange logic there...)

Thunderblaster
23/12/2005, 12:45 AM
Who on earth can afford McManamon? There would be a better chance of Jason Byrne getting 25 goals a season for Liverpool than Steve McManamon signing for Drogheda United. What next, Paul Gascoigne to manage Cobh Ramblers?:eek:

sligoman
23/12/2005, 8:52 AM
I'd wager that people on here singing his praises are probably sad, sad, deluded Liverpool fans who worshipped him once upon a time.I'm singing his praises but I'm a Man U fan so it would be quite the opposite. I don't like Liverpool but I still know a good player when I see one and McManaman would definitely make it in the EL, if he tried his best. Anyway, he won't be coming here so let's shut up now:D.

gustavo
23/12/2005, 9:03 AM
the person who said he wouldnt make them teams didnt qualify it by saying if he was fit or not . oh and sligo man , manchester united fans hate it when their club is reffered to as man u .

Block G Raptor
23/12/2005, 9:08 AM
He'd have the quality obviously, but he is clearly not going to be willing to put any amount of effort in on match days or in training.

I disagree. Instinct takes over once you cross the white line
if you doubt it just look at the masters football on sky
has been's that still die for the shirt

Strabane_Harp
23/12/2005, 9:25 AM
the person who said he wouldnt make them teams didnt qualify it by saying if he was fit or not . oh and sligo man , manchester united fans hate it when their club is reffered to as man u .

yeah so refer to them as Man Ure to keep it right :p

sligoman
23/12/2005, 9:26 AM
oh and sligo man , manchester united fans hate it when their club is reffered to as man u .Actually, I hate it when referred to as sligo man;), I'm sligoman:p.(Just joking)

Anyway, don't judge all the Man U fans the same, I've no problem with Manchester United been called Man U, when refered to as ManUre that's my problem:).

Strabane_Harp
23/12/2005, 9:38 AM
Actually, I hate it when referred to as sligo man;), I'm sligoman.(Just joking)

Anyway, don't judge all the Man U fans the same, I've no problem with Manchester United been called Man U, when refered to as ManUre that's my problem:).

sure all the real united fans have went to FC United of Manchester :p

there is even a supporters club in Strabane for them ( more to do with their star player being from there)

pineapple stu
23/12/2005, 3:11 PM
Massive Difference :rolleyes:

Are you a Liverpool fan?
Yes and no. Most outfield players can last until 35 or so. 32 is three years the right side of 35. 38 is three years the wrong side. McManaman was playing Premiership football last season (maybe not playing very hard), Gazza was in between some Chinese side and an English Division Three side and hadn't played top-flight football in a couple of years. You can't compare a 38-year-old Gascoigne and a 32-year-old McManaman.

ThatGuy
23/12/2005, 3:50 PM
Yes and no. Most outfield players can last until 35 or so. 32 is three years the right side of 35. 38 is three years the wrong side. McManaman was playing Premiership football last season (maybe not playing very hard), Gazza was in between some Chinese side and an English Division Three side and hadn't played top-flight football in a couple of years. You can't compare a 38-year-old Gascoigne and a 32-year-old McManaman.
You also can't compare their lifestyles, McManaman would be an unbelievably coup.

Rovers1
28/12/2005, 7:14 PM
Jaysus - one trophy win and yee's believe that you could have a shot at getting Ronaldinho, Pele, George Best and Dixie Dean.:p

we had Dixie Dean!! also i can put my hand up to your sig!!!:D :D

Roverstillidie
28/12/2005, 7:31 PM

:D :D

that will keep me laughing right through the winter!!! the most deluded post of 2005 came just in time.

too good for the league.... have you ever heard such horsesh.it? he'll prove it anyday now!!! :D

Roverstillidie
28/12/2005, 7:35 PM
I disagree. Instinct takes over once you cross the white line
if you doubt it just look at the masters football on sky
has been's that still die for the shirt

mcmanamen to die for a drogs shirt? :rolleyes:

what are they putting in the chips in cabra?