PDA

View Full Version : Halfway the season: re-make those predictions!

Gerrit
19/12/2005, 9:17 PM
Well, we are halfway here in Northern Ireland, with the big clash between the two Belfast giants coming up on Boxing Day...

What do you think now: who will win the IL, who will grab the UEFA spots, who will relegate to find themselves facing H&W Welders, Ballymoney and Bangor next year?

I have visited several games of the Belfast teams (have attended several home games of Linfield, Glentoran, Crusaders and HW Welders, hope to visit Cliftonville the coming weeks) and I am afraid Linfield are a class too strong this season. I was at Linfield-Glentoran and the ease with which they scored 4 against the nr 3 of the league was frightening, I'm afraid the title race will be decided early, but it'd be well deserved for the Blues.

My bet:

CHAMPIONS: Linfield
UEFA spots: Glens, Portadown
RELEGATION: Ards, Larne (before the season I had guessed Larne, Ards surprise me in negative way)
PROMOTION: Crusaders returning straight away

I will judge the other teams once I've seen them. With only Cliftonville left in my home city, I am almost ready to start railing around the 6 counties to see the others. Institute and Coleraine are top of my wanting list to catch a home game from, so they may expect to see my noble gothic presence in their grounds anytime soon.:cool:

paudie
22/12/2005, 8:34 AM
Fair dues for putting your time in Belfast to good effect by visiting the various clubs.

Just looking at the results Linfield seem to be a class ahead.

You'll also be able to go to a few Setanta Cup games in Belfast in the New Year.

Gerrit
22/12/2005, 6:37 PM
Ah well, I couldn't do without local football. No matter where I go in the world, I need games in the stadiums, not just on TV. An occasion Premiership trip is nice (done Man U and Everton now) but I'd never give up local footie for it. In Dublin I went to EL every week, here I try to see IL on regular basis.

Linfield are a class ahead, I'm afraid it'll be a rather boring second half. The domination of the Blues is too strong, even against Portadown (4-0) and Glentoran (3-0 in the CSI cup final) they scored with so much ease. I was in Windsor for the game against Ports, and it could have easily been 7-0 if the referee didn't feel sorry for Ports and backed them. Linfield are above IL standard for now.

Schumi
27/12/2005, 3:55 PM
Linfield beat Glens 4-1 over Christmas so I don't think there's much doubt now!

Gerrit
02/01/2006, 8:21 PM
Glens lost again, so Linfield has 13 points clear on top now...

Luckily we got a somewhat interesting battle for the second spot and for relegation...

Crusaders looking on their way back by the way, which I think is very nice.

Raheny Red
03/01/2006, 2:54 PM
I read Northern Ireland Ceefax last night and noticed that Ferguson scored 4 on monday night and he was still upset :rolleyes: because he is just 1 goal away from 200 at Linfield. I still don't know what way to look at Linfield for the Setanta Cup. It's just too hard to call at this moment in time!!

pete
03/01/2006, 2:57 PM
I'll make a bold prediction & suggest Linfield will win the title.

They'll probably be so far ahead by the time the Setanta Cup styarts that they'll be able to rest players in league games.

I suppose their dominance shows what €150k prize money can do for part-time clubs budget in the IL?

Dassa
03/01/2006, 4:30 PM
I read Northern Ireland Ceefax last night and noticed that Ferguson scored 4 on monday night and he was still upset :rolleyes: because he is just 1 goal away from 200 at Linfield. I still don't know what way to look at Linfield for the Setanta Cup. It's just too hard to call at this moment in time!!

Yea some amount of goals for any league and this doesnt count the 200 he scored for Glenavon. Fantastic career.

Alot of talk up here on how to improve the league with alot of people talking about reducing the league in numbers. How do the EL fans enjoy playing each team so often does it not get a bit boring?

Raheny Red
03/01/2006, 4:54 PM
Dassa

How do the EL fans enjoy playing each team so often does it not get a bit boring?

Yes, it can get boring at times, (we played Cork 5 times last season) so it can get too familiar!

Is there any talk of the IL moving to summer soccer at all??

Dassa
03/01/2006, 6:35 PM
lots of talk from the fans about the move few months ago when your league was on. but as mentioned on IL forums the christmas period brings in the biggest crowds of the season and to loose them would be a huge money loss.

Gerrit
03/01/2006, 9:50 PM
I do hear many are in favor of it whenever I talk to people at games.

I think the IL has the ideal nr of teams, in the EL it can get a bit boring to see the same teams over and over again. On the other hand the IL's non-top flight is very poor, although I would really like to see Crusaders going up again as they still have the image of a top flight team.

As for the Setanta money: Linfield surely spent it very well, the risk would be that if Linfield would win the Setanta again they are financially very far ahead of the rest of the country. Winning the IL (which is now 99% sure already) and the CL qualifier entry that comes with it + sponsorship deals, will already boost their capital. I think LFC will get fully professional very soon as only team in the IL.