PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Decorations on Houses

A face
19/12/2005, 1:08 AM
Some of it is way over the top !! (http://tinypic.com/ippmzb.jpg) :eek:

Peadar
19/12/2005, 8:40 AM
A radio station in Dublin will pay your electricity bill for a year if you win the best decorated house prize.

Lionel Ritchie
19/12/2005, 9:29 AM
A radio station in Dublin will pay your electricity bill for a year if you win the best decorated house prize.

Good of them to throw petrol on the flames. *****s.:mad:

Fail to see any connection with "goodwill to all", "peace on Earth" and all that jazz in helping to burn up resources that bit quicker.
ESB have been warning for years that there WILL be outages if this crack keeps up.

As with our christenings, funerals and everything in between -we Irish seem to just adore americana based vulgar statement.

...and anyway -unless you like standing around your garden for lenghty periods at night and in deep winter -I see no point in doing up your house like a seaside takeaway.
Actually I can see more point in asking a neighbour across the road if you can hang it all on theirs. ...ah ..but where's the vulgar statement in that?

Kingdom
19/12/2005, 11:01 AM
...and anyway -unless you like standing around your garden for lenghty periods at night and in deep winter -I see no point in doing up your house like a seaside takeaway.
Actually I can see more point in asking a neighbour across the road if you can hang it all on theirs. ...ah ..but where's the vulgar statement in that?

There's a post of the year nomination right there.

the 12 th man
19/12/2005, 11:08 AM
There was a time (about 5 years ago) when this was a novelty and was something you wouldn't see much of.
There's way too many houses out there now with this type of thing.

Kingdom
19/12/2005, 11:12 AM
Where my folks live it is completely ott. If anyone knows Crumlin they should try driving down Stannaway Road Captains Rd or Bangor rd. Some people say they do it for the kids but somehow I don't think they do!

the 12 th man
19/12/2005, 11:17 AM
Where my folks live it is completely ott. If anyone knows Crumlin they should try driving down Stannaway Road Captains Rd or Bangor rd. Some people say they do it for the kids but somehow I don't think they do!

I drive home that way and between there and Tallaght every 2nd or 3rd house has the same or very similar type lights on them.Even the kids must be pi**ed off looking at them at this stage

hamish
19/12/2005, 11:23 AM
:o I don't go for the outside of house thingy but you should see inside my abode. I have a crib in every room, celing and wall decorations and tons of other stuff.

I am putting a small, lighted crib in an alcove outside allright but that's it.

I put up a lot of of animated stuff - some quite rudeish for my mates when they come here at Christmas. We can have a bit of a laugh at those things. while we're having a few drinks.

Another good aspect to having animated stuff (I have non rude ones too) is that when married friends of mine arrive they can let their kids roam the house enjoying the animated stuff and we adults:rolleyes: can chat away and enjoy ourselves without having a bunch of noisy kids to deal with.

Think of the saving on babysitters. LOL

BTW - I don't let the kids see the rude animated stuff.

Some of the outside stuff is way over the top though and, sometimes it becomes a kind of neighbour v neighbour minor bitch fest as well.

Nobody mentioned what their local town does for Christmas....y'know street decorations.

I was in Longford at Christmas 1997 and the main street there was awesome - best I've ever seen..........anywhere.

Lionel Ritchie
19/12/2005, 11:55 AM
Limericks is quite good this year on the main streets -and that's despite the city centers economy going belly up.

Like most cities much of the retail sector can now be found in the donut shaped ring around the city -roughly along the bypass.

Tenderloins
19/12/2005, 12:11 PM
Funnily enough I think that theres less tat on houses this year than last. Certainly in Tallaght I think theres a bit less than last year.

Macy
19/12/2005, 12:13 PM
I think some people just really love christmas and that's why they do it. Other's it's keeping up with the neighbours.

We have those icicle lights along the front of the house, and it looks well even in my bah humbug opinion. Wouldn't go much more than that though - the one's that go for the blackpool look just too much for me....

Dublin12
19/12/2005, 2:14 PM

One gaff down there has a white bed sheet on the roof pretending to be snow like!! lol:D

Dazzy
19/12/2005, 2:50 PM
Seen a house in the U.S on the news yesterday and had 25,000 lights and music playing with lights flashing to the tune!

Spudd
19/12/2005, 7:46 PM
i think this is what your talkin about... (http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/xmaslights.html)

the 12 th man
20/12/2005, 6:41 AM
i think this is what your talkin about... (http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/xmaslights.html)

Ridiculous looking,the lights are going on and off too quick to make out whats going on.Imagine that being next door to you.

dahamsta
20/12/2005, 8:06 AM
Anyone know the choon that's set to? (I think it's comical meself.)

Kingdom
20/12/2005, 8:57 AM
I saw the best/worst last night.

Getting a joe maxi last night to a restaurant and the driver goes off some side street and shows the 3 of us these two attached houses. Holy Sh!t. Never seen anything like it. The owners allow strangers to walk around their gardens and sheds to look at the lights. I'll try and get a pic and post it up. For rural Ireland its unreal.

pete
20/12/2005, 10:17 AM
I think i heard of some house in the US where the Authorities forced them to turn the lights off as dangerously distracting motorists.

Being the Eco Warrior i am i've no lights & all presents be wrapped in recycled newspaper. :D

strangeirish
27/12/2005, 5:55 PM
Anyone know the choon that's set to? (I think it's comical meself.)

Here's the story
(http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_christmas_lights.htm)

sligoman
27/12/2005, 8:34 PM
There's a house in County Sligo that does up the whole house and garden with lights and has a huge crib in the garden. Also has a workshop with toys moving in it and the owner even dresses up as Santa and gives kids sweets when they go into him in his workshop. You're practically allowed to walk up to his front door. The only difference with this is, he's doing it for charity. He has a collection bucket at the gate and everything raised goes to the MS and Alseimers(sp?) unit in Sligo. He's been doing it for the last 4 years or so and has raised something like 54,000euro so far. Unfortunately, this is his last year doing it because it's too much work as they start putting the stuff up just after Halloween:eek: and he has to be there every night(so he can be Santa).

Things like that, I don't mind, but when people go mad with lights for no reason it's just stupid in my opinion.

M@ttitude
28/12/2005, 6:21 PM
Never seen anything like it than where i am now in New Jersey, for example a house across the street has a gigantic aquariam type glass box and on the inside there are life size reindeers moving to a song and all over the garden there's snow men waving, it freaks me out when im outside smoking, like something out of a horror movie/nightmare..