PDA

View Full Version : City and Player Contracts

A face
18/12/2005, 11:44 PM
It is becoming more of an issue lately, players contracts always seem to be a problem, hanging over the club like a black cloud. The club need to start getting players to sign three year contracts, so it is not a issue all the time.

James
19/12/2005, 12:01 AM
maybe they are and the players just wont sign them
are they being advised to do so possibly to make it easier to leave if a so called 'better' english or crappy welsh team like swansea comes in for them, when they are approching the end or a 1year or 2 year deal..

pete
20/12/2005, 9:54 AM
The club may not want to be "stuck" with average players. Most of the players are young & seem to fancy their chances in bigger leagues so won't want to be tied to longer contracts either.

I think club should ensure key players on rotating 2 year contract though.

Dodge
20/12/2005, 10:06 AM
Cork's problem is that they sign all these local players on low money as the players have no real alternative if they want to get paid to play football. Players suddenly find out that lesser players are earning big(ger) money elsewhere. They're all professionals and if they think they can get anything elsewhere they'll go. Obviously there are a couple of exceptoins, and IMO Cork are right not to break the bank to hold onto everyone, but generally speaking thats te way it has always been. I think O'halloran moving to Shels is more indicitive of this

rebs23
20/12/2005, 10:26 AM
You've probably hit the nail on the head there Dodge.

pete
20/12/2005, 10:38 AM
I don't know what the players earn but i feel wages in the league are too high if even half the rumours are correct. There is always 1 or 2 clubs paying wages beyond their means which is affecting the ability of others to keep up. This year its Shels & Drogs but in a couple of years will be other clubs.

Drogs spent €1.6m last season to finish 4th in the league so must have made huge lose which obviously can't continue indefinitely.

The disadvantage of signing young players is they are itchy to move to bigger league whereas guys in mid 20s are just happy to be still playing & earning living from.

It makes sense to sign unproven local players on low wages but should be extending their contracts once they prove they worth it. e.g. Gamble & O'Donovan.

kingcolers
20/12/2005, 12:57 PM
in fairness, city have been pretty shrewd in the way they have targetted local boyos who didnt get the breaks in the UK. who's to say they won't unearth another gem or two this year. but to make it sustainable and profitable, they really need to be getting some cash when they leave....

A face
20/12/2005, 6:54 PM
It makes sense to sign unproven local players on low wages but should be extending their contracts once they prove they worth it. e.g. Gamble & O'Donovan.

And its their attitude that makes them so much superior than others e.g. Kearney, Flynnie, Greg.

Risteard
22/12/2005, 1:50 PM
Dodges post above is more or less how i feel.

in fairness, city have been pretty shrewd in the way they have targetted local boyos who didnt get the breaks in the UK. who's to say they won't unearth another gem or two this year. but to make it sustainable and profitable, they really need to be getting some cash when they leave....
The general consenus is that City have actually signed all of them possible. Unless the likes of Delaney, Colin Doyle and Barry-Murphy wanna come home.