PDA

View Full Version : Sporting Heroes

OwlsFan
16/12/2005, 8:56 AM
Juast wondering who everybody's sporting heroes might be as you grew up:

For me there were (are):

Soccer: Jack Charlton, Liam Brady, Ray Houghton, Mick Lyons (Sheff Wed), Jack Whitham (Sheffield Wednesday), Frank O'Neill (Shamrock Rovers)
Rugby: Mike Gibson.
Motor Racing: David Kennedy
Athletics: Eamonn Coghlan.
Golf: Christy O'Conner Snr (only because my dad used to talk about him all the time - just about remember him playing)
Cricket: Geoff Boycott, Chris Old and John Hampshire (all played for Yorkshire whom I supported).
GAA: none :eek:
Cycling: Stephen Roche

Dublin12
16/12/2005, 9:08 AM
Maradona
Pele
Platini
Van Basten
Billy Bremner
Alan Clarke
Eddie Gray
Ian Botham
Liam Brady
Jackie Jameson
Stephen Roche
Ayrton Senna
Joel Garner
Michael Holding

tiktok
16/12/2005, 9:16 AM
Football: Mark hughes, Bryan Robson, Liam Brady, Jean Tigana, Socrates
Rugby: Moss Keane, Brendan Mullins, Serge Blanco
GAA: Mikey Sheehy, Jack O'Shea
Athletics: Eamon Coughlan

OwlsFan
16/12/2005, 1:01 PM
Stoickov (Excuse my Spelling),

Is that the cheating, diving, whining Bulgarian or am I mixing him up with someone else ?

Was Pugh at Sligo before your time ?

Dublin12
16/12/2005, 1:55 PM
Is that the cheating, diving, whining Bulgarian or am I mixing him up with someone else ?

Was Pugh at Sligo before your time ?

Sounds like the one alright,not quite as bad as Boycott the wifebeater though:eek:

OwlsFan
16/12/2005, 3:32 PM
Sounds like the one alright,not quite as bad as Boycott the wifebeater though:eek:

The hero bit was before the wife beating days :p - he was a confirmed bachelor in those days! May be he should have stuck to that condition.

OwlsFan
16/12/2005, 3:33 PM
He Managed Me when i played on the Summerhill teams when i was at school got on very well but hard as nails at the same time took no S**T. Dad played with him said he would fight with dirt under his finger nails ! do you remember him ?

Yep, I remember Pugh playing for Sligo. Very good combative player with a nice touch.

JoeSemi
16/12/2005, 3:55 PM
Football: Lothar Matthaus, John Barnes, Paul McGrath, Robbie Fowler, Luis Enrique, Ronaldo.
GAA: George O' Connor, Charlie Redmond, Joe Cooney, DJ Carey.
Tennis: Sampras and Ivanesivic
Golf: Michael Campbell(ever since I dined with him!), Ernie Els and John Daly.
Boxing: Eubank and Holyfield.

Kingdom
16/12/2005, 5:40 PM
Soccer: Big Paul. The best. Enrico Chiesa.
Gaa: Maurice Fitz. Charlie Redmond
Boxing: McCullough
Athletics: Michael Johnson , Roger Black(!)
Hurling: Ciaran Carey.
Rugby: Nick Poppenwell(!)
F1: Jacques Villeneuve.
Golf: |Faldo.
Pitch and Putt: Big bad Derry McCarthy.

gustavo
17/12/2005, 8:14 PM
soccer :damien duff , lee sharpe , jesper blomqvist ,rafael cretaro , wesley charles , ronaldinho
gaelic football : eamonn o hara , paul taylor
others : ronnie o sullivan , brian o driscoll , michael johnson , andre agassi

Kowalski
17/12/2005, 10:50 PM
Soccer: George Weah
Gaa: DJ Carey
Boxing: Ali
Cycling: Lance Armstrong
Athletics: Eamon Coughlan
Rugby: Only proper sports produce heroes
Golf: Tiger Woods
Pitch and Putt: Little & Mad Piggy P
Snooker: Ken Doherty

sligoman
17/12/2005, 10:55 PM
Football-Roy Keane, Shay Given, Henrik Larsson, Eric Cantona, Mark Hutchinson, Conor O'Grady, Paul McTiernan.

GAA-None(can't stand the sport)

Rugby-Ronan O'Gara, Peter Stringer and Brian O'Driscoll.

Snooker-Ken Doherty.

Others-Eddie Irvine, Steve Collins and Mark Scanlon.

Risteard
17/12/2005, 11:12 PM
Jayz lads they can't really be that heroic if ye had that many of them.
Dave Barry.

Kingdom
17/12/2005, 11:27 PM
Cycling: Lance Armstrong

Rugby: Only proper sports produce heroes

Snooker: Ken Doherty

Are you for fcukin real? :D
Lance Armstrong. Controversial choice. I don't believe he didn't take steroids once.

Kowalski
17/12/2005, 11:52 PM
Are you for fcukin real? :D
Lance Armstrong. Controversial choice. I don't believe he didn't take steroids once.

So what if he did, they were all taking them, he was just better & him as a choice is more to do with what he did off the bike ................................score Sheryl Crow! boom! boom!http://foot.ie/images/icons/icon10.gif

Kingdom
17/12/2005, 11:55 PM
So what if he did, they were all taking them, he was just better & him as a choice is more to do with what he did off the bike ................................score Sheryl Crow! boom! boom!http://foot.ie/images/icons/icon10.gif
Fair point. I wonder little Piggy P would make of him making it onto a internet forum list of would-be hero's!!

Anto McC
18/12/2005, 12:45 PM
Socccer: Roy Keane,Wes Hoolahan
GAA: Dessie Farrell

Macy
19/12/2005, 9:19 AM
Football:Whiteside, Hughes, Cantona
Team the 1994 Manchester United Team - would've píssed over any of the current teams, in style as well as results. No one has blitzed teams like they could in 10 minute spells...
Cycling: Sean Kelly
F1: Mansell
Rugby: Ollie Campbell, Ciaran Fitzgerald, Donal Lenihan (for facing down the haka that time)
Cricket: Botham, Paul Allott, Neil Fairbrother.

tipp man
19/12/2005, 9:55 AM
Only one hero, the Greatest. Muhammed Ali

Dodge
19/12/2005, 10:22 AM
Football; Eddie Gormley, Paul Osam, Ricky O'Flaherty, Paul McGrath, Diego Maradona, Gheorghe Hagi and Ronaldinho (already!)
Cycling; Kelly, Roche and Armstong
Boxing; Marco Antonia Barrera

Always got interested in any Irish person/team who did well and would have favourites in practically every sport/event there is but none as much as the above

finlma
19/12/2005, 11:13 AM
I'd give John Tracey a mention there too. It was a great achievment to win that silver.

beautifulrock
19/12/2005, 12:36 PM
Hagler, Paul McGrath, Maradonna, LiamBrady, Jack O Shea, Jimmy White, Alex Higgins, Sugar Ray, Ali, Ollie Cambpell, Marco Van Basten, Jean Pierre Rives, Zico, Paltini

Metrostars
19/12/2005, 3:37 PM
Some strange ones, in no particular order:

Bryan Robson, Platini, Socrates, Chick Deasy, Paul McGrath, Jack O'Shea, Pat Spillane, Bernard Brogan, John Connolly, Sylvie Linnane, Eamon Coughlin, Barry McGuigan, Alex Higgins, Moss Keane, Sean Kelly.

Redtop
24/12/2005, 12:32 PM
jamie carragher and micheal owen

The Stars
24/12/2005, 5:04 PM
Falcon Rose.

Rory H
27/12/2005, 10:49 AM
juan pablo angel.....

De Town
27/12/2005, 3:28 PM
juan pablo angel.....
:D :D

people really are taking the p1ss:D

Conor H
27/12/2005, 4:41 PM
Alan Murphy

Rory H
28/12/2005, 10:39 AM
:D :D

people really are taking the p1ss:D

im fu[king not!!

the man is a legend!

Ash
28/12/2005, 11:54 AM
Falcon Rose.

Gotta be Johnny Hoakes :p

blutil
30/12/2005, 5:11 PM
Des O'Brien, one of Ireland's most illustrious back rows and a member of the famous Grand Slam side of 1948, has died at his home in Edinburgh. He was aged 86.

Des was an Old Belvederian and played on the first two of the famous seven-in-a-row Leinster Senior Cup winning sides. He was first capped for Ireland in Paris in 1948 and went on to win the Triple Crown and Grand Slam. He played in all of Ireland's games from 1948 to 1952.

IRFU President Andy Crawford led the tributes to the former Old Belvedere number eight: "The IRFU would like to pass on its deepest sympathies to Des O'Brien's family at his recent passing. Des served both Ireland and his club with great distinction and he will be sorely missed by his past team-mates and his friends.

He continued, "His name will remain one synonymous with the 1948 Grand Slam, but his services to the game went beyond his first international season, where he went on to captain Ireland and manage the British & Irish Lions. May he rest in peace."

also played international tennis, squash and hockey i think.

HarpoJoyce
01/01/2006, 2:56 PM
also played international tennis, squash and hockey i think.

http://news.independent.co.uk/people/obituaries/article335787.ece
He played hockey for Wales and a tennis reserve after he retired from Cardiff RFC. Managed the British and Irish ;lions in New Zealand aswell

Heroes: Senna, Armando Maradona.

Karlos
25/01/2006, 8:47 PM
Football: Tony Adams & David Rocastle
NFL: John Elway & Jerry Rice
NHL: Wayne Gretsky
NBA: Larry Bird
Golf: Tiger Woods

joeSoap
26/01/2006, 9:15 AM
Soccer: Steve Coppell, Sammy McIlroy, Lou Macari, John Giles, Gerry Daly, Dessie Kennedy, Tony Meaney, Eoin Hand.
Rugby: Ollie Campbell, Gerry McLoughlin, Colm Tucker.
Motor Racing: Ayrton Senna
Athletics: Eamonn Coghlan.
Golf: Sevvy, Nicklaus, Lee Trevino
Cricket: Botham, Lamb, Desmond Haynes, Courtney Walsh
GAA: Joe McKenna, Leonard Enright, Tomy Quaid, Mikey Sheehy
Snooker: Alex Higgins
Boxing Marvellous Marvin Hagler.

Neish
29/01/2006, 6:49 PM
Football: Jonathan Speak, Eric Cantona, ,Mark Hughes, John Aldridge. Peter Schmeichel & Marco Van Basten

GAA: Tony Boyle=Donegal Forward when they one the cup in 1992(Used to go to most Donegal home games up to about the age of 13 or 14(1993 or 94) when I discovered Finn Harps and have been to very few GAA games since)

Motor Racing:Ayrton Senna, then Schumacer

Wrestling(Hey I was young): The Ultimate Warrior & The Undertaker

Can't think of anyone else, if i do Ill add them

NeilMcD
06/04/2006, 2:51 PM
Football, Paul Mc Grath, Chris Hughton, Roy Keane, Liam Brady, Ray Houghton, Diego Maradaona

Always liked Jimmy White too and of course the Greatest, Ali.

Pauro 76
07/04/2006, 12:11 PM
Football: Packie Bonner, Frank Stapleton, Ronnie Whelan, Paul McGrath, Robbie Fowler, John Aldridge Jan Molby (fat bastad, but a talented fat bastad), had a lot of admiration for Matt Le Tissier.... the mad unconventional ones like Paulo Di Canio, Paolo Wanchope..
Longford Town: Digger will always be a favourite and the local hero Sean Prunty.
Cycling: Sean Kelly, Stephen Roche
Snooker: Jimmy White
Tennis: Tim Henman. ;)

londonirish17
07/04/2006, 1:28 PM
Soccer : Ray Houghton, Liam Brady, Ian Rush, Ruud Gullit, Jean-Marie Pfaff, Enzo Scifo, Cantona, Baresi, Schmeichel

Rugby : Serge Blanco, Will Carling, N. Jenkins, Keith Woods

Cycling : Johann Museeuw, Stephen Roche, Bjarne Riis

Tennis : Stefan Edberg, Mats Wilander, Boris Becker

OwlsFan
03/05/2006, 11:53 AM
F1: Mansell.

:eek: The guy needed a personality transplant. Never took to motor racing even though my brother was involved in the sport. Televised traffic! 75% car and 25% the driver.

OwlsFan
04/05/2006, 8:53 AM
Football;George Best, Harry Hood, Bobby Lennox, Peter Lorimer, Eddie Gray, Johnny Giles, Dixie MacNeill, Ray Hankin :o , Bryan Robson :o , Paul McGrath
Cricket; Kapil Dev, Imran Khan, Bishan Bedi, Glenn Turner, Allan Border
Boxing;Ali
Rugby;Mike Gibson,Willie John MacB.
Swimming;Mark Spitz, Michelle Smith ;)
Athletics;Daley Thompson, Eamonn Coghlan
Show-Jumping!!!Eddie Macken

Blame a bizarre & colourful childhood..........often mixing with some very dubious people. Though I'm lucky enough to have met 8 of them in the flesh!

8 eh ? Let's guess Macken, Coghlan, Smith, Uh Ah..., Giles, Hankin (whoever he is), Gray and Lorimer. How many did I get ?

John83
04/05/2006, 9:14 AM
...Never took to motor racing even though my brother was involved in the sport. Televised traffic! 75% car and 25% the driver.
It's a pretty important 25% though.

My sporting hero is Mikhail Tal.

I also particularly admire Schumacher and Zidane.

aberharp
04/05/2006, 4:03 PM
football: roy keane, zinedine zidane and shay given

rugby: brian o'driscoll

Block G Raptor
11/05/2006, 3:36 PM
Soccer: Big Paul. Packie Bonner, Ronnie Whealan
Gaa: Barney Rock, Kieran Duff
Boxing: McGuigan
Athletics: Eamon Coughlan, John Treacy
Rugby: Ollie Campbell
F1: Niki Lauda
Basketball : Larry Bird

Stevo Da Gull
16/05/2006, 11:24 PM
Tennis (getting into it over the last 12 months) - Lleyton Hewitt
Darts- Phil Taylor (kinda a given), Ronnie Baxter, Wayne Mardle, Roland Scholten, Bob Anderson.
Football - Martin Keown, Jamie Carragher, James McFadden, Jason Byrne
Bray Wanderers - any player who has ever pulled on the Jersey and given 100% every time, special mention to Maurice Farrell, Colm Tresson, Stephen Fox, Wes Charles, Tarzan O'Brien, Pip Keogh and Jason Byrne again

No 1 - Dennis Bergkamp - IMO simply the greatest:ball:

The Stars
18/05/2006, 4:54 PM
your football heros are a bit....how could i put it...less glamourous than most peoples.

superfrank
18/05/2006, 8:56 PM
Pele
Damien Duff
Wayne Gretzky
Mark Messier

stojkovic
19/05/2006, 2:27 AM
Soccer: Kenny Dalglish, Maradona, Zico, Van Basten, Stojkovic

Motor Racing: Ayrton Senna da Silva

Athletics: Sebastian Coe

Snooker: Alex Higgins

Boxing Sugar Ray Leonard and Muhammed Ali (i met the man)

Tennis John McEnroe

DmanDmythDledge
19/05/2006, 11:02 PM
Tony McDonnell- best examble of loyalty to the club he plays for.

Stevo Da Gull
20/05/2006, 3:59 PM
your football heros are a bit....how could i put it...less glamourous than most peoples.

A fan of solid centre-half's (no jokes at Keown's expense please:o ) and workhorses (a shít I left out Cafú,Costacurta,Adams) . Among the more skillfull I'd have to put in Overmars, Henry, Cantona, Maradonna, Gerrard, Pele, Liam Brady and Ronaldihno i suppose. They're probably more like the names expected i reckon :cool: ;)