PDA

View Full Version : Fundraising for your club

cheifo
16/12/2005, 2:14 AM
Because of a the lack of a major investor Harps have been holding a draw
each year to make up what should be sponsership revenue. Apart from the usual prize draws etc
has anybody been invovled in any unique ideas to raise cash for your club.?

Strabane_Harp
16/12/2005, 8:27 AM
Mr T runs the successful Fantasy Football for Harps as well

Ash
16/12/2005, 8:37 AM
I've helped out with the usual - Lotto, Race Night, Table Quiz etc

blutil
16/12/2005, 7:22 PM
not involved but
http://www.crystalgloberaffle.com/

fbtn
16/12/2005, 8:25 PM
Derry have a good one in the New Year with a Legends V Fans match. A lot of Derry's favourite players over the years will play a fans team in the Brandywell. They will sell tickets to the fans and the 13 or whatever winners go into the Fans squad.

BTW: the reason we don't have a major investor is that we are a Co-Op. The club is owned and ran by the fans which means that we have to make whatever money ourselves.

Mental Man
16/12/2005, 8:55 PM
Yep as Bluetil just posted there, we are running a raffle for a smashin piece of waterford crystal, only 5 of these in the world and was given to us buy the powers that be at the glass factory.
Tickets only 5 euro, globe is valued at over 6600euro.
Log on to www.crystalgloberaffle.com for details.

Fair play to the directors at Drogheda United who bought a full book of tickets each, cheers lads and thanks for that.

Dazzy
16/12/2005, 9:25 PM
Have to say MM, that would look good in my office;)

Mental Man
16/12/2005, 9:45 PM
Well there ya go Dazzy boi, log on now and buy a ticket for 5 euro and as they say if your not in you cant win! :D

Even the drogs lads bought a few books, fair play to them.

Magicme
16/12/2005, 11:26 PM
Yep as Bluetil just posted there, we are running a raffle for a smashin piece of waterford crystal, only 5 of these in the world and was given to us buy the powers that be at the glass factory.
Tickets only 5 euro, globe is valued at over 6600euro.
Log on to www.crystalgloberaffle.com for details.

Fair play to the directors at Drogheda United who bought a full book of tickets each, cheers lads and thanks for that.

Hope its not smashin to the floor when the person wins it!

EireBadBoy
17/12/2005, 12:39 AM
Whatever you do don't arrange a poker night!! :eek:

The hard working Dev. commitee of Derry arranged one last week and only 13 people turned up - whole handling on the forum after that.

Very succesful one's that the club have run have been a penalty kick competition at half time for fans (loads of banter and interest from people wanting to watch fellow fans humiliate themselves), Dream Draw - £100 a ticket and people not interested in the club saw the value in taking part, great prizes. The Fans v Legend one is new idea but a sure money spinner, cracking idea. Everyone loves playing football no matter how bad they are.

For the failed poker night there are at least 10 good ideas.

Mental Man
17/12/2005, 8:02 AM
Well to be honest we have run some very good texas holdem poker nights down in the tower hotel here in waterford and they have raised on average between 3-5000 euro per session.
But we have been toying with the idea of having a past legends v present players or fans game as well. Its a good idea and bound to raiser funds for any club.

Passive
17/12/2005, 9:38 AM
not involved but
http://www.crystalgloberaffle.com/

That's a cracking prize. I'm just a bit surprised the tickets are so cheap, I reckon you could easily have sold tickets at a tenner.

1 9 2 8
17/12/2005, 12:15 PM
BTW: the reason we don't have a major investor is that we are a Co-Op. The club is owned and ran by the fans which means that we have to make whatever money ourselves.
So are we I think we were the first club in Western Europe to be come a Co-Op is their any other LOI club like this

Mental Man
17/12/2005, 3:15 PM
We decided Passive that the 5 euro was well worth the price for a ticket and its easily affordable, whereas with 10 you might get the usual whingers and the barstoolers giving out.
The glass was given to us free of charge by the head people at waterford crystal to help and raise funds for the club so we had to set up a committee to organise all this and the draw is on the week the league starts up so funds raised will be put to good use.
So for 5 yo yo's its great value for money, so come on everybody :D .

Macy
19/12/2005, 8:25 AM
So are we I think we were the first club in Western Europe to be come a Co-Op is their any other LOI club like this
Think Dundalk are a co-op as well.
Longford, Bohs, and now Rovers are members clubs - think there's a few more with a membership structure as well - Possibly Athlone and Monaghan?

Tenderloins
19/12/2005, 11:24 AM
Although slightly different than "Fundraising" , Dundalks new pitch seems to be getting a lot of revenue in for the club. A very worthwhile venture it appears. Steady stream of cash all year long.
Interesting to see if any other clubs may follow.

sligoman
19/12/2005, 12:12 PM
Interesting to see if any other clubs may follow.We have an artificial pitch(seperate from the main one though) and it has been rented out to local clubs, groups etc for training. It only started recently so hopefully it will turn out to be a very profitable cause for the club:).

Mr A
19/12/2005, 12:16 PM
Harps are a co-op and have been since 1994 or thereabouts. While supporters owning the club is held up as the way to go to achieve fiscal responsibility, Dundalk Sligo and Harps have all suffered massive financial crises under this set-up.

Shares in Harps cost €362.50 and entitle you to attend the AGM and become a member of the board. No matter how many shares you own you only have one vote at the AGM or any EGM, and no one is allowed to buy more than 24 shares.

The Mileson taking over Harps rumours end right there then.

Unreal Madrid
19/12/2005, 1:15 PM
We had a bag packing session last Friday for 3 hours and saturday for 5 hours where we raised around 1200 euro. This was in a small Supervalue in Oranmore where we had control of 4 checkouts. I was surprised how much we got but everyone gave us something. Now, imagine if you had control of around 15 - 20 checkouts in a busy Dunnes or Tesco on a Saturday? You could easily get 5 - 10000 and all you need is permission and buckets :D

Macy
19/12/2005, 1:46 PM
Harps are a co-op and have been since 1994 or thereabouts. While supporters owning the club is held up as the way to go to achieve fiscal responsibility, Dundalk Sligo and Harps have all suffered massive financial crises under this set-up.
Yes, but they didn't have the ground sold from under them and if the fans had major problems with how it's run, they could buy shares, get elected and change things. That is the difference. I don't think fans owned clubs have ever been held up as necessarily being fiscally responsible, but it's in the supporters hands what is done.

BohsFans
19/12/2005, 11:32 PM
The Fans v Legend one is new idea but a sure money spinner, cracking idea.

Not really. Already been done by the DT last season.

paudie
21/12/2005, 1:19 PM
Didn't Derry City have a draw for an apartment in the last couple of years?

I presume it was donated to the club.

Feigning upcoming bankruptcy and using political contacts to arrange a friendly with a world famous club like Barcelona alos seems like a good wheeze:D

Only joking by the way.

exiled_gufc_fan
24/12/2005, 9:18 AM
A lot of clubs over here, Southend being one example, have a draw with a squad number for the season as a prize.

The winner is an officially registered for the club with the, Football League with squad number, gets his pen-pic in the programme along with the 'rest' of the squad (not just for home matches!) for the season.

I reckon you could sell quite a few tickets for that at €5 a go!

Raheny Red
24/12/2005, 10:55 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That would be a winner alright. Easily get €15 a ticket.

Raheny Red
24/12/2005, 11:47 AM
Well for €500 you can arrange a game in Dalymount for your club. My team (check sig) are playing Finglas next Tuesday in Dalyer. It's a great incentive which also includes a dvd of the game. It works out at just €15 a head (both teams splitting the cost)!!

So if anyone is missing winter football and the games around the christmas period come on down. Kick off is at 4 and entry is free!! :eek: :p :D

Raheny Red
27/12/2005, 9:00 PM
So that game was arranged for today but it never happened :rolleyes: :mad:

We were looking forward to this match for the past number of weeks now!! We arrived at Dayler at 2:30 (for a 4:00 KO :eek: ) to be told that the game was off...........................the reason!!

Well supposedly the goal posts were taken down on Christmas Eve and listen to this .................................................

The crossbars have gone missing - so to the Bohs fans next season

Where's your crossbars gone, where's your crossbars gone!!

BohsFans
28/12/2005, 3:27 AM
So that game was arranged for today but it never happened

We were looking forward to this match for the past number of weeks now!! We arrived at Dayler at 2:30 (for a 4:00 KO :eek: ) to be told that the game was off...........................the reason!!

Well supposedly the goal posts were taken down on Christmas Eve and listen to this .................................................

The crossbars have gone missing - so to the Bohs fans next season

Where's your crossbars gone, where's your crossbars gone!!

Yeah that's what they told you ;)

Raheny Red
28/12/2005, 11:50 AM
Yeah we knew they were having us on. Unfortunate really was looking forward to it all over the Christmas.

Have you got any idea about these sort of deals???:confused:

anto eile
29/12/2005, 1:35 PM
i came up with an idea last eyar for raising cash for Rovers.
at the end of the season auction off the first team jerseys, and have the players present the shirts to winners of the bids and photograph the presentation.
over the last 2 seasons this has raised about E8,000 for Rovers

harpskid
29/12/2005, 1:56 PM
We did that last year as well - selling players' shirts

bohs til i die
29/12/2005, 5:18 PM
The Fans v Legend one is new idea but a sure money spinner, cracking idea. Everyone loves playing football no matter how bad they are.

its not that new

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Bohemians-fans-v-Bohemians-Legends_W0QQitemZ8744468038QQcategoryZ68338QQcmdZV iewItem

http://www.dalymounttrust.org/news0702.htm

A face
02/01/2006, 1:04 PM
Dundalk FC is a Co-Op in name only. As far as I am concerned the whole thing is an absolute farce. The shareholders are supposed to own the club but basically the clubs ignores this fact and gives partially no information to the shareholders (owners) and shows nothing but contempt for their supporters until they want money.

But legally dont they have the right to give the club a good kick in the áss and get them to cop on. How organised are the shareholders ? What do they actually have to contribute, i know they have the right to do so but when given the right ... what can they actually bring to the table so to speak ?