PDA

View Full Version : Keane to Play for Celtic

Eire06
15/12/2005, 11:09 AM
It has been confirmed :D

Rory H
15/12/2005, 11:14 AM
Celtic have beaten off competition from a host of clubs to the capture of Roy Keane.

Keane had the pick of a number of Premiership clubs and was also courted by Spanish giants Real Madrid, after leaving Manchester United last month

However, he has opted to follow his heart and move to Glasgow and signed a deal until the summer of 2007 on Thursday.

More to follow

ah...isnt that lovely...watch out livingston

Gareth
15/12/2005, 11:16 AM
I don't know where to beginning. So I wont. A pointless move that will see him win a Scottish Championship and crash out of Europe early. Good stuff.

Eire06
15/12/2005, 11:21 AM
I don't know where to beginning. So I wont. A pointless move that will see him win a Scottish Championship and crash out of Europe early. Good stuff.

For someone nearing the end of his career I think it is a good move for him, also it has always been a dream of his to play for Celtic..
He's made enough money now and has played football against and with the best players in the world. What more can you want!

TheJamaicanP.M.
15/12/2005, 11:25 AM
Think he took the safe option. Would have been better if he had tested himself against the best in La Liga.
The downside is there'll be even more skangers walking around our towns and cities with hoops jersies on them now.:eek:

Hibs4Ever
15/12/2005, 11:27 AM
Good luck to him, hope he flops:D :p

Bring on March 12th 2006:D

GGTTH

Junior
15/12/2005, 11:38 AM
Good luck to him, hope he flops:D

Bring on March 12th 2006:D

GGTTH

I wouldn't worry too much, I doubt he'll be playing. The league will be wrapped up by then and we'll be fielding the youngsters.:D

Hibs4Ever
15/12/2005, 11:48 AM
I wouldn't worry too much, I doubt he'll be playing. The league will be wrapped up by then and we'll be fielding the youngsters.:D

Ah the good old celtic arrogance:D this is why you's are compared to england fans so much:D

Redtop
15/12/2005, 11:55 AM
im glad that he went with his heart;)

Hibs4Ever
15/12/2005, 12:06 PM
im glad that he went with his heart;)

What:confused: His hearts at Manchester United. He's going to celtic for the payday, he'll make millions on image rights alone

drinkfeckarse
15/12/2005, 12:08 PM
Providing he can stay fit he'll be a great signing. There is an argument to say he chose the easy option instead of heading to Madrid but I for one am delighted he's heading north.

eirebhoy
15/12/2005, 12:09 PM
I don't think Celtic will be crashing out of Europe early. The striker force is decent with Zurawski, Hartson, Maloney, Sutton and Beattie. The midfield is excellent now imo. If you were to put out the 4 best players Lennon wouldn't be there. Keane and Petrov in the middle is a superb partnership. Nakamura (http://rapidshare.de/files/9191974/Naka_comp.wmv.html) has been top class so far, he has set up about 12 goals, excellent at set pieces, great skill. I think he's been Celtic's most influencial player so far this season. Then you have McGeady or possibly Maloney for the other wing. Boruc has been great in goal. A new defence would do nicely but there was 2 centre halfs signed in the summer and neither has started a game for Celtic yet in central defence. I have high hopes for Du Wei. I think he's captain of China and is doing really well for the reserves. If only Strachan would play Agathe at right back instead of Telfer but it looks like Agathe's off.

Block G Raptor
15/12/2005, 12:42 PM
Neil Lennon might be quite worried IMO he's been suspect for a couple of seasons now

Plastic Paddy
15/12/2005, 1:02 PM
Neil Lennon might be quite worried IMO he's been suspect for a couple of seasons now

Not this season - he's club captain and he's hardly put a foot wrong. No, Keane will be used sparingly in any case but it probably won't be in the central midfield role.

:ball: PP

holidaysong
15/12/2005, 1:06 PM
Anyone know will he be wearing number 16?

stickyjoe
15/12/2005, 1:09 PM
Yes he`ll be wearing 16. Laursen wore it last season but he was released during the summer and noone else has taken it

Junior
15/12/2005, 1:26 PM
Ah the good old celtic arrogance this is why you's are compared to england fans so much

Confidence, not arrogance and it was in jest to be fair! 'Compared to england fans so much' - what? first I've heard. Tip for you H4E don't eat cheese before you go to bed, stops you having all those weird dreams!!:D

What:confused: His hearts at Manchester United. He's going to celtic for the payday, he'll make millions on image rights alone

As much as you'd like it to be the case - money is not the reason for his move to celtic. No matter how many times you repeat it, it won't change the fact. If money was his motivator, there were many other clubs ahead of celtic.

Gareth
15/12/2005, 1:43 PM
He followed his heart you say so as I said pointless footballing move. if he wanted good football at the top level he would of gone elsewhere. Celtic is his retirement home. No more no less.

Larry 'da' Wyse
15/12/2005, 1:56 PM
A taximan's dream come true is RK16.

Hope the bewkies are offering generous odds on his sending off at Ibrox in Feb.

nismo
15/12/2005, 2:06 PM
Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano Keano!!!

Hibs4Ever
15/12/2005, 2:06 PM
He followed his heart you say so as I said pointless footballing move. if he wanted good football at the top level he would of gone elsewhere. Celtic is his retirement home. No more no less.

I agree, if he was still interested in top football he would've gone La Liga or atayed in Premiership. He took the easy option, so he can take it handy and collect his pension

Hibs4Ever
15/12/2005, 2:08 PM
Confidence, not arrogance and it was in jest to be fair! 'Compared to england fans so much' - what? first I've heard. Tip for you H4E don't eat cheese before you go to bed, stops you having all those weird dreams!!:D

As much as you'd like it to be the case - money is not the reason for his move to celtic. No matter how many times you repeat it, it won't change the fact. If money was his motivator, there were many other clubs ahead of celtic.

Hope it works out as you want it Junior, but how long til he has the team in turmoil? Or his 1st scrap with Strachan

pete
15/12/2005, 2:14 PM
Nice pre retirement move by Keane. Its like players such as Romario & others going to Qatar for last big pay day. Also a bit of the Beckham moving to Madrid to sell jerseys to it.

Can't wait to see muppets getting their Eire32, Keano jerseys for christmas :eek:

Hibs4Ever
15/12/2005, 2:19 PM
What?Neil lennon is a joke.Keane and him shouldnt be put in the same sentence.

Agree with you there, the celtic midfield is good, but Lennon is Woeful and SO overrated

drinkfeckarse
15/12/2005, 2:20 PM
Nice pre retirement move by Keane. Its like players such as Romario & others going to Qatar for last big pay day.

Your post contradicts itself, if he wanted a last big pay day he would've went to Qatar or Madrid.:rolleyes:

tricky_colour
15/12/2005, 2:24 PM

Sensible move, he knows his days at the highest level are numbered, how long
would he have lasted at Real Madrid playing in the first team?
Not too far from home and a club with good Irish links.
Also a good chance of some European football.

Gareth
15/12/2005, 2:31 PM

Sounds like Cork City would of proven the same. Money would not of matched it but he doesn't need it.

Dublin12
15/12/2005, 2:32 PM
Its like players such as Romario & others going to Qatar for last big pay day.

No comparison there at all.As said already, if he wanted the money he could've stayed in the Premiership or played in that mickey mouse tournament thats on in Japan at the moment for that Saudi club.He'll be playing in the champions league next season in front of 60,000 passionate supporters and playing in a few old firm derbies,alot of players would love to have that experience at this stage of their career.Not mad about the chap myself but seems a great move to me.Seems the mention of the word 'Celtic' on this messageboard drives certain people mad.

Gareth
15/12/2005, 2:34 PM
Seems the mention of the word 'Celtic' on this messageboard drives certain people mad.

Nah, its just the crap posted with the word Celtic that maddens us.

Dublin12
15/12/2005, 2:42 PM
Nah, its just the crap posted with the word Celtic that maddens us.

Ok,thanks for clearing that,are you the spokesperson for the 'Us' btw,just wondering like,some sort of club or sect is it.

FarBeag
15/12/2005, 2:45 PM

Sensible statement too Tricky_colour totally agree.Any thread opened on either Roy Keane or Celtic FC are now so predictable.It just gives the opportunity for the haters of both to slag them off and the fact that both can be mentioned in the same sentence makes it even more exciting.How sad is that.

Keane has always made it clear that he wanted to play for Celtic and he now has that opportunity even if its a little earlier than he initially planned. I say fair play to one of the best players ever to play for Ireland and Man U.

Gareth
15/12/2005, 2:47 PM
I merely stated it was a move of the heart and not of any footballing merit in the general scheme of things. If he always wanted to go there great, but its not a great footballing move re how high the scottish league is ranked in the world.

As for a club or a sect, no but I was just prompting you with a potential reason for your comment.

Metrostars
15/12/2005, 2:50 PM
Nice pre retirement move by Keane. Its like players such as Romario & others going to Qatar for last big pay day. Also a bit of the Beckham moving to Madrid to sell jerseys to it.

Can't wait to see muppets getting their Eire32, Keano jerseys for christmas :eek:

He could probably have earned more money playing elsewhere. Also, Romario is playing in Brazil not Qater.

Dun Laoire
15/12/2005, 2:57 PM
I'm well chuffed with the move:) The boy will do the business.

Aberdonian Stu
15/12/2005, 3:11 PM
I think the ease of the move is being overstated by some. Certainly it is a drop down in calibre but the physicality of the SPL could surprise him a little. The Premiership isn't as hard-tackling a league and while I'm sure Roy Keane is a player who will revel in the physical encounters he will face he may also need a few weeks to get used to playing that kind of football again.

Roo69
15/12/2005, 3:15 PM
I agree, if he was still interested in top football he would've gone La Liga or atayed in Premiership. He took the easy option, so he can take it handy and collect his pension

In fairness, thats just silly ! the bloke no more has to worry about a pension that Bill gates does....... he's one of the richest footballers in the world, even if he gave away 3/4's of what he's worth he would still be set up for life.

He has always saidhe has wanted to play for Celtic, he now will. Probably the best option for him and his family

KK77
15/12/2005, 3:19 PM
The thing that gets me is if he wanted to play for Celtic that much why wait til his career is basically over to do so!!!!!

Roo69
15/12/2005, 3:23 PM
The thing that gets me is if he wanted to play for Celtic that much why wait til his career is basically over to do so!!!!!

Very valid point and one that would really annoy me if i supported celtic.

eirebhoy
15/12/2005, 3:25 PM
Yes, its a move from the heart. He wouldn't have joined Celtic if he didn't have a soft spot for them. Celtic fans know that. He said in his interview if he wanted an easy ride until he retires he would have stayed in the premiership and avoided moving house, etc.

BTW - This board is completely anti-Celtic so I'm not suprised how this thread is going and not suprised with certain posters. I'm anti-England in football terms but I don't go onto every bloody thread slagging them.

Hibs4Ever - I am pretty certain you hate Celtic more than you support Hibs.

He didn't say how much he wanted to play for Celtic. In fact, in his press conference he made sure he didn't say he was a Celtic supporter.

JoeSemi
15/12/2005, 3:27 PM
He's found his level now alright...his ego being massaged by the adoring wasters all round Ireland that follow Celtic on a shallow shallow level.

Poor Student
15/12/2005, 3:29 PM
Alrighty, I'm going to lock this. All things Celtic are supposed to be kept the the SPL thread and we see where this is heading. You all can continue to discuss Keane's move but you can drop the scangers wearing hoops talk.