PDA

View Full Version : The effects of Bosman 10 years on

Block G Raptor
15/12/2005, 9:57 AM
Has it really been 10 years since the bosman rule was introduced

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/4528732.stm

pineapple stu
15/12/2005, 10:28 AM
Remember it well - same week as Niall Quinn was in an on-off-on and eventually off move to Benfica...! How times have changed!

feo123
15/12/2005, 2:56 PM
the bosman's a joke of a rule

Poor Student
15/12/2005, 3:58 PM
The first high profile Bosman move I can remember is John Collins going from Celtic to Monaco. He could have fetched £3-4m back then and I remember being very frustrated and not getting it.

Redtop
15/12/2005, 4:39 PM
the first 1 that i can remember is steve mc manamam i was ragin with that 1 cus i used to love him at liverpool

Dodge
15/12/2005, 5:18 PM
The real effect of Bosman was Derry City selling their Irish soul for the sake of signing Gavin feckin' Dykes...

Aberdonian Stu
15/12/2005, 5:20 PM
the bosman's a joke of a rule

No it simply brings footballers nearer the rights of all other workers in the European Union. It's primarily aimed at helping all professional/semi-professional workers, the vast majority of whom are not on stellar wages.

Yes it has benefitted several high profile stars but when a contract ends, irrespective of how much has been invested, unless both parties are willing to renew it then there is no legal nor moral grounds to force the player to stay at the club.

Redtop
15/12/2005, 5:27 PM
The real effect of Bosman was Derry City selling their Irish soul for the sake of signing Gavin feckin' Dykes...
he was a decent player in his day but he ruined derry when he managed them sure ye were nearly gettin relegated when he was in charge and look at ye now

Dodge
15/12/2005, 6:17 PM
Whats this ye crap?

Tenderloins
16/12/2005, 2:07 PM
One effect of the Bosman is that its very rare for a fee to change hands between Eircom League Teams. There used to be the odd transfer worth a few thousand, now there even fewer and farther between.
Of course smaller clubs no longer have the luxury of being selling clubs (the likes of Crewe who managed to sell a player or two each year to bigger clubs).
Players now tend to spend shorter times with clubs too

pineapple stu
16/12/2005, 4:11 PM
One effect of the Bosman is that its very rare for a fee to change hands between Eircom League Teams. There used to be the odd transfer worth a few thousand, now there even fewer and farther between.
Unless of course you're geared towards producing quality young players year after year!:p

Course, getting money out of the likes of Shels and Drogs is another matter.:rolleyes:

pete
17/12/2005, 10:44 AM
No it simply brings footballers nearer the rights of all other workers in the European Union. It's primarily aimed at helping all professional/semi-professional workers, the vast majority of whom are not on stellar wages.

Otherwise you had situation where club could kill a players career by not releasing him eventhough they didn't want him themselves. Bosman was inevitable.

Aberdonian Stu
17/12/2005, 10:02 PM
Which as many people tend to forget was the very reason Bosman broght the case in the first place.