PDA

View Full Version : Minor earthquake detected off coast of Co Wicklow

Eire06
14/12/2005, 10:46 AM
From Unison

A minor earthquake measuring 2.6 on the Richter Scale has been detected just off the east coast of Ireland.
The tremor was felt by householders from Arklow to Bray at around 3.20am this morning.

It was centred around 30 miles from Bray Head and caused some minor structural damage, but no injuries have been reported.

Mad:eek:

finlma
14/12/2005, 10:52 AM
I'd say you'd have felt more if the person beside you in bed farted. I doubt there was much "structural damage" either.

I experienced a 5.5 when I lived in NZ and it scared the bejaysis out of me. I jumped into the door frame only to learn later that day - that's exactly what you're not supposed to do.

Peadar
14/12/2005, 11:00 AM
I remember when I lived in Lancashire there were always tremmors. In fact, there were over 100 earthquakes in Manchester from October 2002 to January 2003. At most, the damage done was a few chimney's crumbling or a few windows breaking.

I'd imagine there's a natural fault line between Britain and Ireland.

Didn't someone want to build a tunnel from Ireland to England but were refused permission?

hamish
14/12/2005, 3:45 PM
Yeah, Joe Duffy was on about it today. Resulted in a barrage of "Did the earth move for you down there" quips.:D

Macy
15/12/2005, 8:14 AM
I remember one in the early 80's that was fairly significant in Manch - fair bit of structural damage (I just thought it was cool at the time obviously).

Good for the researchers to get in how under funded they are on every radio station.

btw as it wasn't pointed out on any programmes I heard yesterday, who were too busy going on about how it wasn't much below such and such a quake :rolleyes: the richter scale increases by 10 every increase in it (logarithmic?). i.e. 2 on the scale is ten times greater than 1, 3 ten times greater than 2 etc

Macy
15/12/2005, 8:18 AM
Didn't someone want to build a tunnel from Ireland to England but were refused permission?
Not sure about that, but I think the idea was resurrected recently. Suggested route between Wexford and Pembroke I think, rather than Dublin area and North Wales (and seismic activity could be the reason that isn't the route).

dancinpants
15/12/2005, 4:07 PM
I remember one in the early 80's that was fairly significant in Manch - fair bit of structural damage (I just thought it was cool at the time obviously).

Good for the researchers to get in how under funded they are on every radio station.

btw as it wasn't pointed out on any programmes I heard yesterday, who were too busy going on about how it wasn't much below such and such a quake :rolleyes: the richter scale increases by 10 every increase in it (logarithmic?). i.e. 2 on the scale is ten times greater than 1, 3 ten times greater than 2 etc

Thats with regards to amplitude. When it comes to the energy released its 31 times greater. The one off Bray, was just slightly stronger than what is termed a "microearthquake" - in other words, it was a piece of p1ss.

Thunderblaster
15/12/2005, 11:16 PM
I'm sure that there were dogs cowering and cats up the tops of trees and horses bolting around fields and cows jumping over the moon and sheep looking merely like cumulus clouds as the good old people of Wicklow and Wexford slept through it all. Don't worry, the big one is not coming.