PDA

View Full Version : Tolka for Rovers

Pages : [1] 2

hoopy
13/12/2005, 7:17 PM
Looks like we'll be playing in Tolka next season and not Santry. The news just keeps on getting better!

Dazzy
13/12/2005, 7:25 PM
Where is Dublin City playing next year? If its tolka it will leave a bit off a ****ed pitch!

Gareth
13/12/2005, 7:32 PM
I guess the rent would be handy.

BohsFans
13/12/2005, 7:37 PM
Where is Dublin City playing next year? If its tolka it will leave a bit off a ****ed pitch!

Should be, "Where are Dublin City playing........"

Anyway, it's Whitehall.

thomas
13/12/2005, 9:36 PM
Mods, This is not the case, total misinformation so please remove the thread.

Raheny Red
13/12/2005, 9:46 PM
I had a feeling it was nonsense when I went to the SRFC site and that had not got a thing about it. Cheers for clearing that up!!

dfx-
13/12/2005, 9:52 PM
Best piece of misinformation I could possibly get today......

Raheny Red
13/12/2005, 9:55 PM
Do Rovers fans really want Tolka??

Where do most fans wanna be next season, obviously apart from Tallaght??

Poor Student
13/12/2005, 10:01 PM
Should be, "Where are Dublin City playing........"

Why should it? Dublin City is singular, not plural.

dfx-
13/12/2005, 10:16 PM

I don't anyway....it seems we are somewhat split between Richmond and Santry....

Vitruvian Man
13/12/2005, 10:25 PM
I believe before the end of the season the two boards were talking around the idea of youse staying in Dalymount.

Relegation might have scuppered that deal though.

A face
13/12/2005, 11:18 PM
It is not true i take it !!

Where do Rovers actually want to go so .... has there been anywhere mentioned that is a bit more concrete ??

EnDai
14/12/2005, 12:18 AM
has there been anywhere mentioned that is a bit more concrete ??

ZING! :D

pineapple stu
14/12/2005, 9:00 AM
Why should it? Dublin City is singular, not plural.
This actually really bugs me. Saying "UCD is doing well" is the grammatical equivalent of political correctness. I would imagine the derivation of using the plural for teams is that back in the day, people only played - didn't support or talk about other teams in the way we do now. Hence "We drew" - being us, the group of players. If "we" is the first person, the third person cannot be "it" and must be "they".

drummerboy
14/12/2005, 9:09 AM
Well the 400 club certainly seem to have Shels, Bohs and Fingal Co Council all courting them to take up residence in their respective facilities. How things have changed from the days when Rovers board had to go begging for some pitch to play on and then have to pay inflated prices for the priviledge.

pete
14/12/2005, 9:44 AM
Slightly off topic but how can Whitehall be good enough for the Premier division? Don't we have minimum standard?

:confused:

NY Hoop
14/12/2005, 10:06 AM

Where do most fans wanna be next season, obviously apart from Tallaght??

Absolutely not. Giving money to that criminal oily is not an option.

KOH

WeAreRovers
14/12/2005, 10:26 AM
Slightly off topic but how can Whitehall be good enough for the Premier division? Don't we have minimum standard?

Obviously not - Carlisle Grounds, Finn Park and now Whitehall. More covered seats in my living room than in those 3 grounds put together.

KOH

green-blood
14/12/2005, 10:57 AM
hahahahahahah WAR

I bet you stand to watch TV and all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raheny Red
14/12/2005, 11:27 AM
pete wrote:

As far as I know, I think they are getting 900 seats installed, but I may be wrong!!:o

Maynard
14/12/2005, 11:52 AM
AFAIK there are wheels in motion towards between 500-800 seats in Whitehall. Capacity as it stands is just under 3,000 anyway, and the likelihood of us exceeding that capacity (unless we ended up in the play-offs with Rovers again:eek:) is very, very slim indeed.

Also there is the precedent set by the league last year where a team managed to play the entire season without a proper licence, although it won't come to that I'm sure.

Can't see too much of a problem in putting in a certain amount of seats at Whitehall, whether it'll be enough between now and the deadline is a different story...Either way, with the ground being so compact I'd say you'll get a pretty unique atmosphere at the games, as it only takes a couple of hundred fans as is to get the place rocking. (no need for any simpleminded derisory comments, it happens to be true, imho) So I'm looking forward to it anyhoo, plus the bar is always great craic...assuming you can get f@cking served:o

Jaime
14/12/2005, 11:57 AM
Or Rovers could just drop out of existence for a few years and then come back when Tallaght is finished. Wouldn’t be the first time.

WeAreRovers
14/12/2005, 11:59 AM
Also there is the precedent set by the league last year where a team managed to play the entire season without a proper licence, although it won't come to that I'm sure.

Wouldn't fancy your chances with an 8 point deduction. :eek:

KOH

pineapple stu
14/12/2005, 12:18 PM

The ground standards were ignored last year provided you could say "We plan to improve our ground" without laughing.

Capacity as it stands is just under 3,000 anyway
How can it hold 3,000? Granted, I've never been there, but if there's no stands or anything (which no-one is denying), I would have had capacity a bit lower. Belfield Park for the League Cup Final - with an 848 capacity stand and a hill - had capacity of 2,500 and for other games 1,900. That would have struck me as a more likely capacity.

Réiteoir
14/12/2005, 1:06 PM
Wouldn't fancy your chances with an 8 point deduction. :eek:

KOH

but they won't be deducted points - as the League have no right to impose a points deduction for breach of license conditions.

Sure you lot keep harping on about it...

WeAreRovers
14/12/2005, 1:23 PM
but they won't be deducted points - as the League have no right to impose a points deduction for breach of license conditions.

Sure you lot keep harping on about it...

Eh, that was the joke..........

KOH

Bald Student
14/12/2005, 1:26 PM
Dublin City is singular,
Finn Park has about 200 seats, so the poster above must have a very big living room,
Whitehall has steps (I won't call it a terrace) along 2 sides of the pitch where as Belfield is flat around except for the stand, so Whitehall can hold more.

pete
14/12/2005, 1:26 PM
Finn Park and now Whitehall. More covered seats in my living room than in those 3 grounds put together.
KOH

I'd settle for concrete terrace. No eL team in either division should be allowed open any area of ground that doesn't have solid surface. i.e. no gravel or mud banks.

NY Hoop
14/12/2005, 1:33 PM
Dublin City is singular,
Finn Park has about 200 seats, so the poster above must have a very big living room,
Whitehall has steps (I won't call it a terrace) along 2 sides of the pitch where as Belfield is flat around except for the stand, so Whitehall can hold more.

Unless Harps have installed seats since we were there in september I would say that's wrong. They do have some for journos but 200????

Stand to be corrected and sure any Harps fan would confirm.

KOH

Schumi
14/12/2005, 1:35 PM
There are seats behind the 'viewing slope' where Harps' singing section stands. A couple of hundred sounds about right.

NY Hoop
14/12/2005, 1:43 PM
There are seats behind the 'viewing slope' where Harps' singing section stands. A couple of hundred sounds about right.

Yeah saw that section but taking liberties with a couple of hundred. Suppose wait til a Harps fan can confirm..........

KOH

Réiteoir
14/12/2005, 1:50 PM
Eh, that was the joke..........

KOH

So was my comment tbh

Bald Student
14/12/2005, 1:58 PM
Yeah saw that section but taking liberties with a couple of hundred.Maybe I'm wrong, as a commoner I only got to look in from outside but still more than your standard living room.

Passive
14/12/2005, 2:28 PM
Or Rovers could just drop out of existence for a few years and then come back when Tallaght is finished. Wouldn’t be the first time.

Jaysus, bringing up an event from 1906 - that's beating even Rovers fans in terms of irrelevant historical nonsense.

Maynard
16/12/2005, 11:53 AM
Got a bit of an undate on the Whitehall situation yesterday. Members of the FAI, Home Farm and Dublin City have all been in talks about the possible construction of a 500 seat, covered stand behind the carpark end goal. The money is there to be used, and it is unlikely that either club (DCFC or Home Farm) would receive a license for premier football or international underage matches without this move. The construction has to be agreed by members of Home Farm who would also have to agree to keep Dublin City as anchor tennants for the next 5 seasons. If all goes well the stand would be expected to be completed by the begining of June.

Basically it's in the hands of Home Farm, hopefully they will do the right thing by both clubs and allow the progress to take place.

Also I've heard it mooted that all DC games from now on will be all-ticket affairs, and that Whitehall's capacity (with or without the new stand) will be 1,500 That's 500 per turnstile. If the new stand was to go ahead that would also mean that the current covered concrete terrace on the bar side would be left as is.

Réiteoir
16/12/2005, 11:54 AM
Got a bit of an undate on the Whitehall situation yesterday. Members of the FAI, Home Farm and Dublin City have all been in talks about the possible construction of a 500 seat, covered stand behind the carpark end goal. The money is there to be used, and it is unlikely that either club (DCFC or Home Farm) would receive a license for premier football or international underage matches without this move. The construction has to be agreed by members of Home Farm who would also have to agree to keep Dublin City as anchor tennants for the next 5 seasons. If all goes well the stand would be expected to be completed by the begining of June.

Basically it's in the hands of Home Farm, hopefully they will do the right thing by both clubs and allow the progress to take place.

Also I've heard it mooted that all DC games from now on will be all-ticket affairs, and that Whitehall's capacity (with or without the new stand) will be 1,500 That's 500 per turnstile. If the new stand was to go ahead that would also mean that the current covered concrete terrace on the bar side would be left as is.

Sounds like good news - good luck with it

Strabane_Harp
16/12/2005, 1:34 PM
200 would be about right

sure who wants to sit during football

Bald Student
16/12/2005, 1:37 PM
Maynard, if you don't mind me asking, were you given any guarentee from the FAI that this improvement would be enough to allow you to compete in the premier division for the next five seasons? Does this mean that the infrastructure requirements in the UEFA license will be staying very low?

Sam Savic
16/12/2005, 5:23 PM
Has this stand been given planning approval? Can't see it being open by June 2006.

Maynard
17/12/2005, 4:41 PM
Has this stand been given planning approval? Can't see it being open by June 2006.

It'll have to be approved by HF before planning permission is sought, but if it is approved I can't see any reason for it stalling. Home Farm don't really have to answer to anyone about it, they're already in the middle of reconstructing alot of that end of the ground (the whole front entrance has been removed for example) so I wouldn't see it being a big problem. It was the FAI who mooted June in the 1st place (afaik) and I get the impression that they are very keen on this going ahead.

As far as lowering the standard to get the licence I don't think that's quite the case. I get the impression that it's a gesture to clubs who are actively trying to move towards full compliance. From an administration point of view we have no problems in complying fully, so if we put a process in place whereby we begin to develop a fully compliant ground then I imagine we will be given some leeway for our efforts.

pineapple stu
17/12/2005, 4:58 PM
Why is there this magic Number of Clubs having 2000 seats ? I have heard one or two other members mention it, Is it in Genisis report Bald S ?
The Genesis Report required all Premier Division clubs to have a minimum of 1500 covered seats (500 in the First Division). However, last year, this was just a suggestion, not a requirement as they wanted to focus clubs on getting the other four aspects under control first.

Dr.Nightdub
17/12/2005, 5:05 PM
1500 covered seats is one thing, and fair play to CHF for making moves in that direction.

However, a GROUND CAPACITY of 1500 for the Premier Division is idiotic. Knock off a couple of hundred for CHF fans, take any match against us, Bohs or Shels, or a Cup match against Rovers, Cork or Derry, and you've a recipe for potential chaos.

Is there nothing in the licencing stuff regarding a minmum capacity level?

pineapple stu
17/12/2005, 5:22 PM
Don't think so. Only thing about capacity is that you must have a certified capacity limit.

I doubt it'll be too much of an issue though. UCD have a (slightly) bigger home support (and capacity), but our crowds against the other Dublin teams would be around 1000 of late (the Dublin teams aren't doing too well of late, which doesn't help). It's three years since we had more than 1500 at a league game, so can't see it being too much of an issue for DC either. And if they do draw Bohs in a Cup quarter-final or something, they'll just have to limit the crowd to 1500 and lose out on turnover.

anto eile
17/12/2005, 7:11 PM
hahahahahahah WAR

I bet you stand to watch TV and all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D:D hahaha

Breifne
19/12/2005, 11:22 PM
1500 covered seats is one thing, and fair play to CHF for making moves in that direction.

However, a GROUND CAPACITY of 1500 for the Premier Division is idiotic. Knock off a couple of hundred for CHF fans, take any match against us, Bohs or Shels, or a Cup match against Rovers, Cork or Derry, and you've a recipe for potential chaos.

The figure will be a little higher than that, closer to 1800 hopefully, and should be in place from the start with the seated area coming on stream during the season, provided we can negotiate a deal with Home Farm to have the use of Whitehall for a period.

Lets look realistically at it, not one of our games the last time would have reached this 1800 figure. It's more than ten times our attendance last season according to the thread on this site. Lets do something a little interesting.

Lets say we double our attendance to approx 400. Each of the dublin clubs will bring 40%-50% of their regular home support. and the clubs outside dublin will bring say 15%-25% of their regular support. All very optomistic figures in anyones opinion.

The expected attendances would be give or take (at the absolute most)
Bohs 1400
Bray 800
Cork 1400
Derry 1100
Drogheda 900
Longford 700
Pat's 1200
Shels 1400
Sligo Rovers 850
UCD 800
Waterford 800

All comfortably under the 1800 mark, and being realistic, most of the attendances would be about 50-60% of what is given above. giving an average attendance of around 7/800, slightly up on 2004.

BohsFans
20/12/2005, 12:17 AM
The Genesis Report required all Premier Division clubs to have a minimum of 1500 covered seats (500 in the First Division). However, last year, this was just a suggestion, not a requirement as they wanted to focus clubs on getting the other four aspects under control first.

How many covered and uncovered seats in Belfield?

Will it be accessible from the college campus next season?

Student Mullet
20/12/2005, 3:38 AM
The Genesis Report required all Premier Division clubs to have a minimum of 1500 covered seats (500 in the First Division). However, last year, this was just a suggestion, not a requirement as they wanted to focus clubs on getting the other four aspects under control first.I think you're mixing up the Genesis Report with the UEFA license there.

How many covered and uncovered seats in Belfield?

Will it be accessible from the college campus next season?
800, 0.

Yes.

Macy
20/12/2005, 7:14 AM
I think you're mixing up the Genesis Report with the UEFA license there.
It's been premier division rules going back to the 90's actually. Just another rule conveniently forgotten... :rolleyes:

Maynard
20/12/2005, 11:26 AM
Well put Breifne. Having the ground nearer full than empty every other week can only be a good thing for the club and for the atmosphere at every game, that in turn might convince more people to regularly attend. Certainly playing the Corks and Derrys of the league is a more attractive incentive for the local "once in a while" brigade than Kilkenny or Limerick (no disrespect to either side)

Let's just hope that HF do themselves and us a favour and don't derail the proposed stand out of pettiness or spite.

pineapple stu
20/12/2005, 12:20 PM
I think you're mixing up the Genesis Report with the UEFA license there.
You're right, sorry.

The expected attendances would be give or take (at the absolute most)
Bohs 1400
Bray 800
Cork 1400
Derry 1100
Drogheda 900
Longford 700
Pat's 1200
Shels 1400
Sligo Rovers 850
UCD 800
Waterford 800
With respect, your expected attendances would probably be about half of those figures. 800 v us when the same game got 250 in the FAI Cup last year? Dublin gates are a good bit down on two years ago because the clubs aren't doing as well. However, it does still validate the point about capacity being sufficient.