PDA

View Full Version : Lawyer accuses MI6 of 'torture' methods

A face
13/12/2005, 4:36 PM
Lawyer accuses MI6 of 'torture' methods

BRITISH intelligence agents are accused of the kidnapping and “psychological torture” of men held in Greece as part of the investigation into the July 7 bombings in London.

A leading Greek lawyer will today present a dossier to parliament in Athens of the treatment of 28 detainees by MI6 officers. Frangiscos Ragoussis alleges that the detainees were hooded and held in secret.

Read more at www.timesonline.co.uk (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,7374-1922824,00.html)

Block G Raptor
13/12/2005, 5:34 PM
They are known to have used sensory deprivation in both NI and Cyprus so it comes as no surprise

pete
14/12/2005, 9:31 AM
Shock Horror. Secret Service use secret methods of "interview" :eek:

dahamsta
14/12/2005, 10:19 AM
“Feckin' Greeks!”

Peadar
14/12/2005, 10:33 AM
They are known to have used sensory deprivation...

There was a lot of sensory deprivation in the tunnels of Londons Underground on the 7th of July 2005.

Lim till i die
14/12/2005, 10:37 AM
There was a lot of sensory deprivation in the tunnels of Londons Underground on the 7th of July 2005.

Wow what a well thought out and logical argument.

Hey, you know the British Army once killed a few people here, lets go round up some random innocent until proven guilty British people and attach electrodes to their testicles.

Peadar
14/12/2005, 11:05 AM
lets go round up some random innocent until proven guilty British people

What makes you think that MI6 went all the way to Greece to "round up some random" people?

By the way, in this case, MI6 are the accused, so technically they should be innocent until proven guilty.
You're assuming that the Greek lawyer is telling the truth.

Block G Raptor
14/12/2005, 11:50 AM

sensory deprivation as a means of interogation is illegal under the treaty of versailles and is a violation of human rights. The Brittish pride themselves on there humane civilised way's when under the thin coat of etiquette they are as bad as many other nation's that commits war crimes/crimes against humanity

Peadar
14/12/2005, 11:55 AM
sensory deprivation as a means of interogation is illegal under the treaty of versailles and is a violation of human rights.

Are you suggesting that it's acceptable to inflict it on innocent commuters?
Is terrorism not a violation of their human rights?

Get off your high horse there boy, being so far off the ground seems to be making you dizzy! :rolleyes:

dahamsta
14/12/2005, 1:05 PM
Are you saying that Governments should work to the same rules as terrorists Peadar? Wouldn't that make them... terrorists?

I think you should drop the talk of high horses until you start making sense. I think maybe your involvement on that day is clouding your judgement.

adam

Peadar
14/12/2005, 1:30 PM
Are you saying that Governments should work to the same rules as terrorists Peadar?

Just because one lawyer in Greece says that something happened, doesn't mean that it did. Until I see proof, I don't believe the allegations are true.

I have yet to meet an honest Greek!

By the way Adam, where's this Current Affairs sub forum?

Block G Raptor
14/12/2005, 2:08 PM
Are you suggesting that it's acceptable to inflict it on innocent commuters?
Is terrorism not a violation of their human rights?

Get off your high horse there boy, being so far off the ground seems to be making you dizzy! :rolleyes:

Didn't realise you were directly involved in the bombings(sorry to hear that)

but even taking that into account can you condone the interrogation of someone who may have done nothing wrong being hooded forced to stand on tip toe facing a wall which he much lean against supporting his body weight on his fingertips while constantly being subjected to overbearing white noise
for 24 or sometimes 48 hours, before even being asked a single question
Its what they call in the brittish army "softening up" a suspect

dahamsta
14/12/2005, 2:20 PM
Just because one lawyer in Greece says that something happened, doesn't mean that it did. Until I see proof, I don't believe the allegations are true.

I have yet to meet an honest Greek!I didn't say it was true Peadar, as you well know. Let's get your story straight now before we go any further. BGR said that torture is illegal, and you countered with (I'm paraphrasing) "the terrorists did it". What /exact/ point are you trying to make by saying that? Please don't beat around the bush or try to change the focus of the discussion now, answer the question.

By the way Adam, where's this Current Affairs sub forum?Steve's rant the other day excluded him from becoming a moderator, so we need another one. I'm not setting that forum up until suitable moderators have been found.

adam

Bald Student
14/12/2005, 2:39 PM
Please don't beat around the bush or try to change the focus of the discussion now, answer the question.
You sound like an interrogater yourself now Ken. Answer me this, if you had the oppertunity to put some members of this forum onto a block and attach electrodes to their testicles, would you?

dahamsta
14/12/2005, 2:47 PM
You sound like an interrogater yourself now Ken.Thank you. Course I'm not breaking the law to do it, nor do I think the law should be changed to allow me to torture people... ;)

Answer me this, if you had the oppertunity to put some members of this forum onto a block and attach electrodes to their testicles, would you?Nah, I just boot them out.

adam

The Good Son
14/12/2005, 2:54 PM
I have yet to meet an honest Greek!

I would imagine there's plenty of Greek's that have yet to meet an Irishman that doesn't get drunk every night and fight with his compatriots.

Peadar
14/12/2005, 2:59 PM
I would imagine there's plenty of Greek's that have yet to meet an Irishman that doesn't get drunk every night and fight with his compatriots.

No doubt you're right.

hamish
14/12/2005, 3:12 PM
Are you saying that Governments should work to the same rules as terrorists Peadar? Wouldn't that make them... terrorists?

Dead right there KS. I noticed today at PM Question Time when a Lib Dem asked Bliar about investigating those CIA flights and stated that four other countries were doing so, Bliar, as usual side-stepped the question and ridiculed the Lib Dem by backing up Condi Rice and stating that the UK cannot board every CIA flight that lands in the UK, or words to that effect.

The US media's semantic word play as to what is torture and what is "coercive interrogation" (a euphemistic term if ever I heard one) is sickening to watch especially on that disgusting channel Faux "News".

Whenever any Democrat states exactly what you said he/she is shouted down. Usually the Dems parse it something like, "The US prides itself on having high standards in the area of human rights so we should never adopt methods that belittle us in the battle against terrorists......we play into their hands then" and so on.

The usual phony reply I've noticed these days is, "Well, if you had a captured terrorist/terrorist mastermind and you knew that his group was going to explode a dirty bomb/nuclear device/etc in some US city wouldn't you want to "waterboard" him or use "tough methods" to save American lives?".

1. Torture only results in the person telling you what he thinks you want to
hear.
2. All forms of tortue are banned by International Law/Geneva Convention.
The US is a signatory to that.

Another excuse is that captured prisoners are not covered by the Geneva Convention 'cos they don't wear a uniform, are not fighting in a "proper" army and don't fight for a country etc so they don't qualify for Geneva Con. treatment.

I remember some ex-CIA bloke, late last year on a John Pilger programme (ITN News) wondering if the US is entering a pre-Fascist era.

Good to see the Dems winning back some seats in the US with a possible chance of becoming the majority party after the 2006 elections. The Rethuglicans have become a fcuking disgrace with the looney Evangelical Right and the neo-cons now turning that party into a bunch of ignorant cowboys.

Peadar
14/12/2005, 3:19 PM
I noticed today at PM Question Time...

I've no doubt your point is vaild in some discussion, somewhere, but this is about MI6 in Greece, not the CIA "torture" planes.

Block G Raptor
14/12/2005, 3:20 PM
Another excuse is that captured prisoners are not covered by the Geneva Convention 'cos they don't wear a uniform, are not fighting in a "proper" army and don't fight for a country etc so they don't qualify for Geneva Con. treatment.

I.

Good Post SH
That's the very excuse they used for violations of rights in castlerea and longkesh

hamish
14/12/2005, 3:36 PM
I've no doubt your point is vaild in some discussion, somewhere, but this is about MI6 in Greece, not the CIA "torture" planes.

Same theme though, isn't it really??

Torture/abuse/coerced interrogation etc.:confused: