PDA

View Full Version : Rep. of Ireland DVD's/Videos

Reddladd
13/12/2005, 2:35 PM
I'm looking to get a DVD/video for my brother who's a huge Rep. of Ireland supporter and is living over in England.
What is the best one on the market? I see some people don't rate the Charlton video, what about the one that was released last year or the year before.......can't remember the name, think it was 'great Irish victories' or something like that.
Shamalive put up some clips recently from Euro 88 and Italia 90, a DVD containing these clips etc would be ideal.
Any ideas would be appreciated. Also if you have any advice about where to get them it would be a help. Thanks.

Metrostars
13/12/2005, 2:59 PM
I got this site to get the Greatest 20 Victories of the Television Age DVD, pretty good service:
http://www.irishmusicmail.com/x9429.html

paul_oshea
13/12/2005, 3:11 PM
ya i have that 20 greatest victories, the problem with that is there is too much talking, i wanted to see fans reactions/more of the games. it has john giles/brady and dunpy talking a lot of ****e. and a load of journalists.

there is one lovely part of it though where a journalist is reporting on his first game and its the ireland v italy in giants stadium, and he was told that you had to be all calm and collective when sitting in the journalists area, however he said that when they scored he didnt know what to do, as when he looked around him all the journos were jumping up and down and shouting/roaring/crying

Paulie
13/12/2005, 3:20 PM
Of all of them I'd probably go with the Great Irish Victories DVD. There are 2 dvd's so there is obviously a decent amount of footage and it brings back some great memories. On the downside there have been some great games that Ireland have drawn and some great goals from drawn games which are not included ie. the 2-2 away to Belgium, the 1-1 versus Russia in '88, the goals against England and Holland in 1990, the 1-1 versus Portugal and the 2-2 with Holland in 2000 or the goals versus Cameroon and Germany in 2002.

Having said this it's still worth getting. If you really want to splash out you could get hom 2. As well as that one, I'd see if there's a dvd available of the qualifying campaign for Japan. I know that there are plenty of people on here that would say get something like the Italia 90 video or something like that but in terms of quality of football, goals, overall excitement and a happy ending that campaign ,for me anyway, takes some beating. There was a programme shown on the telly of the campaign shortly after it ended so it may well be available.

onenilgameover
16/12/2005, 2:45 PM
If you can get a hold of ''The Charlton Years'' Video done a good few years back and not the one thats out now its very good...

onenilgameover
26/12/2005, 1:13 PM
:mad: I got that dvd for christmas. Charlton The Irish Years ....Just a word of warning to everyone...Its a big heap of ****e. Couldn't have made it worse if they tried. :confused:

brine3
28/12/2005, 11:23 AM
I have that Victories of the Television Age DVD and I thought it was fairly ****e. There is hardly any footage of actual football in it.

Hither green
04/01/2006, 1:13 PM
Great recommendations! After leaving a few hints around Santa was good enough to bring me both. Didn't rate the Charlton one much, could have done with more footage. The Great Irish Victories was excellent though. I agree that there were some important draws that deserved a mention, maybe they should follow it up with Great Irish Draws :) I particularly enjoyed the pre-Charlton games, as they were before my time. Are there any other videos with footage from some of the older games?