PDA

View Full Version : Boycott Guinness after this

Pablo
14/05/2002, 1:27 PM
From Sunday Times

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by Sue Denham: Let’s hope Cameroon don’t get too drunk on World Cup success

You’d think Guinness would be supporting the Irish team in the World Cup, what with all the beer they’ll sell to thirsty Irish fans over there in the next few weeks.
Instead, the brewers announced last week they were offering incentives to the Cameroon players for good performances in Japan and Korea. And Cameroon, lest you need reminding, are our deadly rivals in the qualifying group.

Speaking at a press conference in Yaounde last week, Brian Johnson, a Guinness official, said that the sponsorship — beer money? — on offer to Cameroonian players ranged from £1,000 to £15,000 sterling. They’ve already been paid £5,000 each just for qualifying.

The best player in each of Cameroon’s games (including the one against Ireland) will earn £1,000 from Guinness, while the team will get £5,000 a man for progressing beyond the first round.

It goes up to £10,000 if they reach the semi-finals and £15,000 if they make it to the final. Guinness gave similar payouts to Cameroon at the Sydney Olympics and in the African Nations Cup this year.

This would be a bad omen: Cameroon won both competitions. Guinness Africa is also offering $1m to any African team that qualifies for the World Cup final.

Confronted by Sue, a Guinness spokesman in Dublin, said: “Our ideal scenario would be for Ireland to get to the final against an African team.”

pete
14/05/2002, 3:57 PM
Guinness not irish owned anymore anyway - more of the british trying to undermine us.

Time to put a sticker over the Guinness logo on my city jersey & try find some Murphys in dubland.

:(

Pablo
14/05/2002, 4:06 PM
I know its not Irish owned anymore but i find it absolutely gauling to read that

Éanna
15/05/2002, 11:52 AM
It's a commerical world out there- are people gonna stop using eircell fones cos vodafone sponsor Man Utd, not drink Carlsberg cos the sponsor Liverpool etc? Anyone here ever shop in Woodies?! I wouldn't get too bothered about it, we all know Murphys is the real thing anyway!

pete
15/05/2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
.....are people gonna stop using eircell fones cos vodafone sponsor Man Utd, not drink Carlsberg cos the sponsor Liverpool etc? Anyone here ever shop in Woodies?

Yes!

I don't care about those english teams but if you prepare well its easy to avoid Woodies, Dulux, Autoglass, Adecco & the like..... ;)

Pablo
15/05/2002, 1:21 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
It's a commerical world out there- are people gonna stop using eircell fones cos vodafone sponsor Man Utd, not drink Carlsberg cos the sponsor Liverpool etc? Anyone here ever shop in Woodies?! I wouldn't get too bothered about it, we all know Murphys is the real thing anyway!

Well if you cant see the point i'm making....people associate Ireland with Guinness, its a pity they have to go and bankroll our worldcup rivals.

It really is terrible

Éanna
16/05/2002, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Pablo
Well if you cant see the point i'm making....people associate Ireland with Guinness, its a pity they have to go and bankroll our worldcup rivals.
I can see your point, I just don't attatch as much significance to it as you do.

Gary
19/05/2002, 2:17 PM
Find a real cause ro rebel against will ya.

City Hero
20/05/2002, 10:33 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but have Guinness / Carlsberg (Official Beer / Sponsor of the Ireland team) done any competition in the run up to the World Cup. Other than a pretty good add and slapping an extra sticker on the Carlsberg glasses, the've done nothing. And now the're selling cans in Ireland with the English crest as " the official beer of the england team".