PDA

View Full Version : Byrne deal spells end for 'bargain basement'

Pages : [1] 2

exile
13/12/2005, 7:44 AM
indo

Byrne deal spells end for 'bargain basement'
Tuesday December 13th 2005

THE proposed transfer of Jason Byrne to Swedish League champions Djurgardens offers further proof that the stock of the Eircom League is rising.

And, with a fee of up to €600,000 being mentioned it seems that the League's days of being a bargain hunter's dream are about to end.

Already this season we have seen Sunderland and Reading snap up two of the best young strikers in the domestic game for ridiculously low sums.

Reading boss Steve Coppell might joke that he had too many pints of Guinness on the day he first saw Cork City's Kevin Doyle but he was clear-headed when it came to doing the deal.

Steal

The £85,000 he paid for Doyle is set to go down as the steal of the season as the 22-year-old has taken the English Championship by storm with eight goals in 22 league games for table-toppers Reading.

In addition, he was called into the Ireland squad last October for the World Cup qualifiers against Cyprus and Switzerland and made the bench for the game in Nicosia. When he does eventually play for Ireland, Cork will get £10,000 for his first friendly game and £10,000 for his competitive bow.

Doyle is now valued at over £1m and each goal for Reading adds to the level of frustration on Leeside.

Sunderland spent £100,000 on Waterford striker Daryl Murphy last June and gave him his Premiership debut in October against West Ham. After three further first team games they sent him on loan to Sheffield Wednesday.

Snapping up bargains in Ireland has long been a pastime of English clubs and they have been helped by several factors.

One is the reluctance of clubs to stand in the way of a player's chance to chase his dream of playing in England while the cash-strapped nature of most clubs meant they were rarely in a strong negotiating position.

The part-time nature of the League also weakened the position of negotiating clubs as they were unable to counter the English arguments that they were gambling on an unproven player.

Volumes

The switch to full-time professionalism has certainly negated that argument and five goals in the Champions League this season plus 47 league goals over the past two seasons speaks volumes for Byrne's talent.

While Djurgardens were knocked out of the Champions League by Cork City they still went on to record a league and cup double in Sweden and several members of their squad like Mattias Jonson, Tobias Hysen and Daniel Sjolund will be in Sweden's squad at next summer's World Cup.

British clubs have reaped rich rewards over the years for their shrewdness in the Irish transfer market.

Packie Bonner is rated among the greatest goalkeepers ever to play for Celtic yet he only cost the Glasgow club a couple of football strips when he became Jock Stein's last signing in 1978.

That was the year Nottingham Forest made Trevor Francis the world's first million pound player so it puts into perspective the £30,000 Paul McGrath cost Manchester United when signed from St Patrick's Athletic and the £50,000 Shamrock Rovers got for Jim Beglin in 1982.

One of the best bargains was in 1990 when Nottingham Forest paid Cobh Ramblers £30,000 for a certain Roy Maurice Keane and the Cork club watched in horror three years later when he was sold to Manchester United for a record £3.25 million and they realised their folly in not insisting on a sell-on clause.

Tidy some

One club who did was Dundalk who transfered Steve Staunton to Liverpool in 1986 for £20,000 which was a tidy some given that he hadn't played a first team game for Dundalk.

Dundalk director Enda McGuill insisted on the club getting 10 per cent of any subsequent transfer and his shrewdness earned the Co Louth outfit £111,000.

Cork boss Damien Richardson believes that the amount of money being talked about for Jason Byrne transfer could prove to be a watershed.

"We are now moving in a more realistic direction and it helps that he is a full-time player," said Richardson.

"It can be hard for part-time players to adjust a full-time set up when they are transfered but it won't be any problem for Jason if it does happen.

"Every future transfer will be benchmarked against this and the fact that it is a Swedish club shows how the league is being viewed abroad," he said.

If Byrne does go for the £600,000 figure currently being suggested then we edge closer to the day when somebody comes in and pays £1million for an Eircom League player and it could be sooner than we think.

thejollyrodger
13/12/2005, 8:40 AM
Byrne deal spells end for 'bargain basement'
http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=94&si=1525367&issue_id=13406

THE proposed transfer of Jason Byrne to Swedish League champions Djurgardens offers further proof that the stock of the Eircom League is rising.

And, with a fee of up to €600,000 being mentioned it seems that the League's days of being a bargain hunter's dream are about to end.

Already this season we have seen Sunderland and Reading snap up two of the best young strikers in the domestic game for ridiculously low sums.

Reading boss Steve Coppell might joke that he had too many pints of Guinness on the day he first saw Cork City's Kevin Doyle but he was clear-headed when it came to doing the deal.

Steal

The £85,000 he paid for Doyle is set to go down as the steal of the season as the 22-year-old has taken the English Championship by storm with eight goals in 22 league games for table-toppers Reading.

In addition, he was called into the Ireland squad last October for the World Cup qualifiers against Cyprus and Switzerland and made the bench for the game in Nicosia. When he does eventually play for Ireland, Cork will get £10,000 for his first friendly game and £10,000 for his competitive bow.

Doyle is now valued at over £1m and each goal for Reading adds to the level of frustration on Leeside.

Sunderland spent £100,000 on Waterford striker Daryl Murphy last June and gave him his Premiership debut in October against West Ham. After three further first team games they sent him on loan to Sheffield Wednesday.

Snapping up bargains in Ireland has long been a pastime of English clubs and they have been helped by several factors.

One is the reluctance of clubs to stand in the way of a player's chance to chase his dream of playing in England while the cash-strapped nature of most clubs meant they were rarely in a strong negotiating position.

The part-time nature of the League also weakened the position of negotiating clubs as they were unable to counter the English arguments that they were gambling on an unproven player.

Volumes

The switch to full-time professionalism has certainly negated that argument and five goals in the Champions League this season plus 47 league goals over the past two seasons speaks volumes for Byrne's talent.

While Djurgardens were knocked out of the Champions League by Cork City they still went on to record a league and cup double in Sweden and several members of their squad like Mattias Jonson, Tobias Hysen and Daniel Sjolund will be in Sweden's squad at next summer's World Cup.

British clubs have reaped rich rewards over the years for their shrewdness in the Irish transfer market.

Packie Bonner is rated among the greatest goalkeepers ever to play for Celtic yet he only cost the Glasgow club a couple of football strips when he became Jock Stein's last signing in 1978.

That was the year Nottingham Forest made Trevor Francis the world's first million pound player so it puts into perspective the £30,000 Paul McGrath cost Manchester United when signed from St Patrick's Athletic and the £50,000 Shamrock Rovers got for Jim Beglin in 1982.

One of the best bargains was in 1990 when Nottingham Forest paid Cobh Ramblers £30,000 for a certain Roy Maurice Keane and the Cork club watched in horror three years later when he was sold to Manchester United for a record £3.25 million and they realised their folly in not insisting on a sell-on clause.

Tidy Sum

One club who did was Dundalk who transfered Steve Staunton to Liverpool in 1986 for £20,000 which was a tidy sum given that he hadn't played a first team game for Dundalk.

Dundalk director Enda McGuill insisted on the club getting 10 per cent of any subsequent transfer and his shrewdness earned the Co Louth outfit £111,000.

Cork boss Damien Richardson believes that the amount of money being talked about for Jason Byrne transfer could prove to be a watershed.

"We are now moving in a more realistic direction and it helps that he is a full-time player," said Richardson.

"It can be hard for part-time players to adjust a full-time set up when they are transfered but it won't be any problem for Jason if it does happen.

"Every future transfer will be benchmarked against this and the fact that it is a Swedish club shows how the league is being viewed abroad," he said.

If Byrne does go for the £600,000 figure currently being suggested then we edge closer to the day when somebody comes in and pays £1million for an Eircom League player and it could be sooner than we think.

And about time too I might add. The days of €10,000 transfer fees and shoddy contract should be long gone.

Hecko
13/12/2005, 9:25 AM
Yeah, fair dues to Shels. The only good thing to come out of our mishandling of Doyler is that I think all clubs are now determiend not to let it happen again

thejollyrodger
13/12/2005, 9:29 AM
And about time. The sooner clubs can tighten those things up the better. But at the end of the day, the league that the players play in dictates the price to a large extent. The league will have to continue to make progress for clubs to benefit.

Block G Raptor
13/12/2005, 9:33 AM
Good to see increased fees but be realisitic 600,000 for a player with CL experience you wont get that anywhere else
should be asking for more but as someone else posted "babysteps"

thejollyrodger
13/12/2005, 9:35 AM
when players in the top (full time) clubs are being sold for €1 million euro we will know some serious progress is being made.

Bald Student
13/12/2005, 11:19 AM
but one of my pet hates is to see transfer fees converted into pounds sterling, particularly when neither club involved is in Britain.

noby
13/12/2005, 11:36 AM
but one of my pet hates is to see transfer fees converted into pounds sterling, particularly when neither club involved is in Britain.
Well, there's inflation for you:
From
[quote]with a fee of up to

Mr A
13/12/2005, 11:36 AM
Very shrewd business by Bray as well, if this deal goes through (and I don't think it will) they get half the fee.

thejollyrodger
13/12/2005, 11:38 AM
send the pr1cks an email

independent.letters@unison.independent.ie

they need a kick up the holé.

drinkfeckarse
13/12/2005, 11:58 AM
Good to see increased fees but be realisitic 600,000 for a player with CL experience you wont get that anywhere else
should be asking for more but as someone else posted "babysteps"

I disagree. I think £600,000 is a fair price and reflective of where the Eircom League is atm. He has Champions League "qualifying" experiance not Champions League proper if we're being picky.

Baker
13/12/2005, 12:50 PM

I was under the impression that the 600,000 figure was in euro and not sterling. Is this correct?

The second paragraph mentions €600,000 while the last paragraph says £600,000. So it looks like a typo in one place or the other.

pete
13/12/2005, 3:19 PM
The Indo is particularily poor at failing to convert sterling to euro being an irish paper 'n all.

NY Hoop
13/12/2005, 3:26 PM
The Indo is particularily poor at failing to convert sterling to euro being an irish paper 'n all.

It's Irish?! When did this happen?:D

They only want to report on the league when it's bad news. IMO would prefer if they didnt report at all cos the tiny coverage they do give is demeaning.

KOH

deadman
13/12/2005, 3:46 PM

but most, not all, of the '£' signs refer to a time when we were also dealing in £

pete
13/12/2005, 3:52 PM
It's Irish?! When did this happen?:D

Sorry, used to be irish until was taken over by royalty. :)

BohsFans
13/12/2005, 9:54 PM
and Bray get 50%

crc
13/12/2005, 11:12 PM
The second paragraph mentions €600,000 while the last paragraph says £600,000. So it looks like a typo in one place or the other.
If its £600,000 that makes it about €900,000. That million euro Eircom League player mightn't be so far away!:eek:

KR's Post
14/12/2005, 11:56 AM
and Bray get 50%

I know.... How good is that. In all honesty though we made Jayo the player he is today!

KK77
14/12/2005, 2:47 PM
I know.... How good is that. In all honesty though we made Jayo the player he is today!

Yeah we sure did amazing how he's not half as a lazy now as he was with us!!

thejollyrodger
14/12/2005, 4:24 PM
If its £600,000 that makes it about €900,000. That million euro Eircom League player mightn't be so far away!:eek:

It is €600,000 in total AFAIK and bray will get 50% of that

Poor Student
14/12/2005, 5:03 PM
My brother was talking to a Shels fan today who told him that Shelbourne will tell Bray to drop some of the percentage or they won't sell him. He also told him that Djurgardens are also interested in Weso. I don't know the guy or claim it to be accurate. I just know he was dedicated enough to go to the away tie in Bucharest. Make of that what you will.

A face
14/12/2005, 5:06 PM
My brother was talking to a Shels fan today who told him that Shelbourne will tell Bray to drop some of the percentage or they won't sell him.

Ah hello .... how does that work ?? .... That would be like us asking for the clause in Doylers contract, the figure should have been raised by 400% !?!? :eek:

Its a contract ..... its a done deal, tough !! :mad:

Poor Student
14/12/2005, 5:15 PM
Just what he told me A Face. Offhand I don't see the situations comparable. Shels can decide not to sell Byrne. You had absolutely no say in the matter with Doyle. To the best of my knowledge contracts can be renegotiated under new terms as long as both parties agree. All Shels have to say is: If you want any money at all then agree to drop the percentage otherwise he stays and you get nothing. It could all be b.s. I'm just passing on what I heard.

Bald Student
14/12/2005, 5:36 PM
It wouldn't be Shelbourne if they didn't try to do Bray out of a few bob of a transfer fee. Bray should stick to their guns.

EnDai
14/12/2005, 6:06 PM
I'm sure it's at least been through the minds of those in charge. Ask Bray to sign a contract saying they'll accept 25% (or something) of the fee, or Shelbourne won't sell Byrne (as they are entitled to) which means Bray get no money anyways (and more importantly, we keep Byrne!).

Don't know how plausable it is, but its a possibility I'm sure.

jorge
14/12/2005, 7:48 PM
How much is the transfer?,Ive heard 600k and 450k.
I'm sure Shels fans are saying 600k but i doubt thats the real figure.
And if Bray get 50% and Jayo gets a 'subtancial ammount' Shels are the one who are going to lose out.

EnDai
14/12/2005, 8:13 PM
How much is the transfer?,Ive heard 600k and 450k.
I'm sure Shels fans are saying 600k but i doubt thats the real figure.
And if Bray get 50% and Jayo gets a 'subtancial ammount' Shels are the one who are going to lose out.
400K was rejected, so presumably 5-600K if it goes through.
Bray take 50% -> 250/300K.
Is Jayo's signing on fee not paid by Djurgardens? Why should Shels give him money to leave? :)

Slash/ED
14/12/2005, 8:26 PM
It wouldn't be Shelbourne if they didn't try to do Bray out of a few bob of a transfer fee. Bray should stick to their guns.

And end up with nothing? Wouldn't seem to make sense from their point of view if that is in fact what is happening.

Poor Student
14/12/2005, 9:20 PM
And end up with nothing? Wouldn't seem to make sense from their point of view if that is in fact what is happening.

Slash by few bob he means part of the percentage they are currently entitled to. Purely hypothetically here lets say the 50% figure is correct and he's being sold for €600k signing on fee aside. Shels say: Agree to cut the percentage back to 20% and make €120k or we won't sell him at all, keep the league's top scorer and you make feck all. Hence being "done" out of €180k. If this isn't true I've probably given Ollie an idea now.:o

A face
14/12/2005, 9:41 PM
Offhand I don't see the situations comparable.

Ahh, I know that, just kinda highlighting how mad it is ??
Lads, having thought about this though .... if Devlin has anything to do with it, he'll surely saying something like give Bray 25% and give me 10% or something like that .... is that not the way he works thing, himself and Givens use similar tactics i think !?! ..... could be wrong though !! :eek: :p

EireBadBoy
14/12/2005, 11:37 PM
If Pat Devlin had the accumen to put a 50% sell on clause in the transfer you can't really slag him about that - he could teach some clubs a thing or two about selling players!

A face
14/12/2005, 11:59 PM
If Pat Devlin had the accumen to put a 50% sell on clause in the transfer you can't really slag him about that - he could teach some clubs a thing or two about selling players!

Well he has a long history of pimping Irish players alright, so at this stage i'd be worried if you couldn't teach someone a stroke or two !!

dcfcsteve
15/12/2005, 12:46 AM

Bray have literally nothing to lose if Oily is trying to force their hand on the transfer fee here.

They're currently getting zero for Byrne - so if Shels do carry through on their bluff they'll be no worse off. Meanwhile, Shels will be €300,000 Euros poorer themselves - purely because they were too greedy/spiteful to honour a contractual requirement. There would be only 2 clear losers here - Shels and Byrne. If i was Bray I'd report them to the league or seek league advice for shady practices if they're looking to do this.

I can't see Shels refusing to take €600k for a player full-stop, even if they have to pass half of that on. Very dirty tactic of them if they're trying to put pressure on Bray though - what use is a contract if that's what happens to you...?

twoenz
15/12/2005, 1:31 AM
But is the €600,000 a final figure?

Back stage stuff like this goes on all the time, yes it is in his contract that any sell on fee is due to his previous club, but there is always room for negotiation, but it does look like there's going to be a loser in the whole thing.

On a different aspect of the transfer how does this change the valuation of other eircom League plays moving between clubs? We all know that there is absolutely no chance of a fee like this being proposed between two clubs in the league, but Jason Byrne is not the best in the league by that much.

rerun
15/12/2005, 6:41 AM
I got the impression from some of the articles that the Djugardens deal was worth €600K in total, including a €200K signing on fee.
If, of the €400K remaining, Shels have to pay €200K to Bray, are they not better off holding on to the player in the long run and hope for goals in the Setanta Cup / UEFA Cup ?
How long more is Byrne under contract for at Shels?
One thing you have to wonder is what Shels thought when they agreed the 50% sell on fee.

hoopy
15/12/2005, 6:56 AM

The man is a toerag, he'd sell his mother for a few quid. He was willing to sell Zayed, not caring what the consequences were for Bray, just to make a few quid himself. He does it all the time and no one in Bray ever questions it

Macy
15/12/2005, 7:36 AM
Basically comes down to who needs the money more if Shels are playing hardball. Bray run as a fairly tight ship these days, and I'd suspect €200k more critical to Shels than Bray.

Bray have nothing to lose - it's bonus money for them. I hope they stick to their guns, or sell on clauses will become irrelevant.

Mr A
15/12/2005, 7:55 AM
Has it actually been confirmed that 600k is on the table? I thought they offered 400k and were turned down and haven't come back?

Tenderloins
15/12/2005, 8:46 AM
I wonder who Jason Byrnes agent/advisor is? Surely someone was touting him around, the interest from Norway and Sweden hardly just came out of the blue?

The Sheliban
15/12/2005, 9:14 AM
The days when we have a topic discussion on something that "my brother heard from a Shels fan" is really a bad news day.

pete
15/12/2005, 10:42 AM
My brother was talking to a Shels fan today who told him that Shelbourne will tell Bray to drop some of the percentage or they won't sell him. He also told him that Djurgardens are also interested in Weso. I don't know the guy or claim it to be accurate. I just know he was dedicated enough to go to the away tie in Bucharest. Make of that what you will.

How is that rumour anymore accurate than actual shels fans posting here directly? :confused:

I speculated here a week ago that Shels would ask Bray to reduce sell on fee percentage. Shels would be slow to sell at 400k as would really be just 200k to them so Bray cut will be vital.

Hulsey
15/12/2005, 11:10 AM
Can't see why Bray would even consider dropping the percentage. Doesn't make sense as this money was not budgeted for and would be a complete bonus. Bray are a financially astute club, and as such have no reliance on any money which may come our way from this saga. Shels have far larger wages, expectations etc. and as such Bray should defo tell them to shove their reduction up their arse!

lofty9
15/12/2005, 11:13 AM
Bray should defo tell them to shove their reduction up their arse!

Here, here and so say all of us!:D

sfc red
15/12/2005, 12:17 PM
And then we don't sell and you get......€0

Hulsey
15/12/2005, 12:19 PM
And then we don't sell and you get......€0
And if you don't sell you miss out on bout 300,000. Shels have far higher running costs and if you don't make the champions league qualifiers for 2007 you's could be fcuked! Yous need the money far more than we do.

sfc red
15/12/2005, 12:27 PM
No we'll accept 600,000 but at the moment its 400,000. Thats selling the league's top striker for the last three years in a row for €200k. You're having a giraffe :rolleyes:

Block G Raptor
15/12/2005, 1:39 PM
Has an improved offer been made by djurgardens yet or is all this 600,000 stuff just speculation as to what Shels will accept

Raheny Red
15/12/2005, 2:30 PM
Block G Raptor wrote:

as an approved offer been made by djurgardens yet or is all this 600,000 stuff just speculation as to what Shels will accept

Here is the last bit of official news as of Monday evening:

In other news, no progress has been made in the proposed move of Jason Byrne to Djugardens of Sweden. Fenlon commented: "They made an intial offer of €400,000 and we went back to them and told them that they would have to up their offer. They haven't come back to us as yet and the longer it goes on the less likely it is that it will happen. We're not going to let Jason go for small money, particulary as we'll lose a good proportion of it to Bray because of the sell-on clause."*

*From the ShelsWeb

EnDai
15/12/2005, 2:47 PM
WOn't see me complainign if he stays! :D