PDA

View Full Version : Any Liverpool supporters think that the WCC is a waste of time?

Redtop
12/12/2005, 7:09 PM
i think that it would be an honour for liverpool to lift the trophy but what effects is it goin to have on the players?? especially with us starting to hit form in the league and europe

dfx-
12/12/2005, 7:14 PM
No...proud to be out there..even just being 'allowed' to compete there shows the success of the current regime of the club and I would prefer to win this and finish 3rd or 4th than just finish second. We are not ready for second and will also see how well we can adapt to such trips to play competitive matches rather than revenue streams.

I want to win this more than the FA Cup and and League Cup..."Liverpool v. Sao Paulo"..........:cool: Announce to the world - CONCACAF, Asia, South America etc. that Liverpool are ready to take on anyone anywhere and be extremely competitive at the very least - we're not just prepared to win against Utd andCharlton every week and claim that is brilliant success.

:cool:

mypost
12/12/2005, 7:44 PM
No...proud to be out there

:rolleyes:

Announce to the world that Liverpool are ready to take on anyone anywhere. We're not just prepared to win against Charlton every week and claim that is brilliant success.

Changing your tune, eh?

So who are we playing against in the World version of the European Super Cup?? The cream of the crop?? AC Milan? Real Madrid? Juventus??? No, rather a bunch of non-entities from Central America and Africa. :rolleyes:

This junket is a tiresome and expensive waste of everyone's time. It has all the meaning of a couple of glamour friendlies. How can a side call themselves World Champions, when a few months ago we couldn't even qualify for the CL, beats me. The sooner the team gets home from that "tournament", the better.

Poor Student
12/12/2005, 7:52 PM
How can a side call themselves World Champions, when a few months ago we couldn't even qualify for the CL, beats me. The sooner the team gets home from that "tournament", the better.

The same way they can call themselves European Champions after beating all teams on offer to them in the CL no?:confused: The non-entity you speak of from Africa Al Ahly of Egypt command anything up to an estimated support of 40 million. Just because you are ignorant of global football it does not mean you can brush other teams aside as non-entities. I like the idea of giving clubs from other continents a stage to compete against the best in the world. Something for progressing football countries to aspire for and maybe one day be able to raise their level to.

dfx-
12/12/2005, 8:11 PM

I think you'll find sir, that being European Champions as you often refer to us as we have already beaten the cream of the European Crop including of the teams you mentioned...

I am not changing my tune either, I am merely wanting to add to the improvement of the success against Charlton by bringing it to another level. However unlike your Einstein-like self, I am not prepared to go there until we are capable of beating those poorer teams and would not claim it a success until we are capable of beating the weaker teams. Your sole argument against weaker teams is that we're European Champions so we should beat them.

I want to beat everyone not because we're European Champions but because we are indeed better than them. Beating weaker teams has nothing to do with being European Champions.

We can call ourselves World Champions if we win because that's what we'll be, much to your disappointment I'm sure. I'd love to know how you propose someone else who did qualify easily for the CL could propse to be Champions when they can't beat such a useless bunch of whipping boys from Liverpool who have a manager who refuses to play or sign the right players and doesn't know what he's doing. I mean how could Liverpool possibly survive against Chelsea, Milan or Juventus or Sao Paulo if they were to play them?:rolleyes:

We are playing against very big teams in this tournament and they are competitive matches, despite what some might think. I would certinly not underestimate any of the teams involved and why I think it even better if we were to win out.

JoeSemi
12/12/2005, 9:42 PM

Changing your tune, eh?

So who are we playing against in the World version of the European Super Cup?? The cream of the crop?? AC Milan? Real Madrid? Juventus??? No, rather a bunch of non-entities from Central America and Africa. :rolleyes:

This junket is a tiresome and expensive waste of everyone's time. It has all the meaning of a couple of glamour friendlies. How can a side call themselves World Champions, when a few months ago we couldn't even qualify for the CL, beats me. The sooner the team gets home from that "tournament", the better.

Hardly playing against those top European teams when they are neither European winners, or winners of any other federations' Champions Lge equivalent. Last I looked they were all still playing in their respective countries.

I don't know what possessed you to claim yourself as a Liverpool fan mypost.:confused: You seem to question every stride the club make as if you are a jealous follower of some other club in disguise. The title of World Club Champions is up for grabs whether you like it or not, and Liverpool are keen to add the trophy to the cabinet for the first time. The people who matter- Benitez, Gerrard, Parry, the fans and everybody connected to the club see it as worth winning, so who are you to dismiss it as nothing more than a ""couple of glamour friendlies"?

mypost
13/12/2005, 2:16 AM
The people who matter- Benitez, Gerrard, Parry, the fans and everybody connected to the club see it as worth winning, so who are you to dismiss it as nothing more than a ""couple of glamour friendlies"?

No, they see it as compensation for having to cancel the lucrative Japanese tour in pre-season. That's all this tournament serves, as a money-spinner.

Who are we up against??

The mighty Sydney FC,
The talented Al Ittihad,
The troublesome Saprissa,
The giants of Al Ahly.

:D

Lads, they should be dismissed by us out-of-hand. You need more than 10 teams to make a proper tournament. This isn't one of them.

Macy
13/12/2005, 8:19 AM
Quick question, is this replacing the intercontinental cup, the true world club championship, or is it in addition too it?

Seriously, the intercontinental cup is the one with tradition on it's side, not a sepp "players should play less games" blatter money maker....

Aberdonian Stu
13/12/2005, 9:55 AM
It's replacing the intercontinental cup, that's why it's being hosted by Japan. Old WCC format was too long while in the eyes FIFA (possibly read blatter) the IC didn't give other continents a chance.

Macy
13/12/2005, 10:57 AM
Should be taking seriously then as the Inter Continental Cup is a competition worth winning - history and tradition to that competition.

drinkfeckarse
13/12/2005, 12:53 PM
If you enter a competition, then it is worth winning.

Aberdonian Stu
13/12/2005, 1:11 PM
Should be taking seriously then as the Inter Continental Cup is a competition worth winning - history and tradition to that competition.

Well I rate it and think it's very important but it's history isn't all that stellar. European teams used to pull ot regularly see here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European/South_American_Cup
Might I stress I'm one of the first in line to question wikipedia but the stats on participation are accurate.

jockser
13/12/2005, 3:15 PM
If Liverpool win the tournament it will be another trophy with the title of being world champions for a year.
So yes i do value this tournment and hope we win it

jockser
13/12/2005, 3:19 PM
How can a side call themselves World Champions, when a few months ago we couldn't even qualify for the CL, beats me. Well if liverpool win they WILL be world champions. The qualified for this tournament BECAUSE they ARE european champions....fool.....:rolleyes:

Mayo Red
13/12/2005, 10:04 PM
It would be a nice trophy to win, but I just hope we don't suffer a hangover in our league form after the competition is over. It would be a shame as we are firing on all cylinders at the moment!

Block G Raptor
14/12/2005, 10:46 AM
It would be a nice trophy to win, but I just hope we don't suffer a hangover in our league form after the competition is over. It would be a shame as we are firing on all cylinders at the moment!

Rafa Benitez thinks its the Ideal time as we are getting that winning mentality

Benitez on... the World Club Championship

When you see the people and talk to them, the workers, the staff and supporters and the team they enjoy winning, they want to win and believe they can win. It takes a long time to establish but I think that Liverpool has it." "For me it is a challenge. I want to win games and win trophies. As a manager, the players are more important than you. You can make all the plans, but it is up to them to win. I will prepare them as best as I can for the tournament and hopefully we will be successful. This is a very big tournament and we are going to try and do our best to win it. It deserves to be a big tournament with extremely tough qualification: how else would you measure the best? Whoever wins will be worthy champions. It's a beautiful trophy and we want to bring it back to Anfield.

Could cause a premiership hangover but if we're realistic I dont think we'll catch Chelsea anyway so lets hope we win the WCC at least its another international trophy for us (who wants the itty bitty premier league trophy..it'd be dwarfed in our trophy room by the five big cups and the WCC:D )

superfrank
15/12/2005, 9:35 AM
Well they're winning 1-0.

Block G Raptor
15/12/2005, 10:19 AM
Crouch and Gerrard
half-time

onenilgameover
15/12/2005, 10:53 AM
3 nil now.....walk in the park

Redtop
15/12/2005, 11:53 AM
peter crouch the goal machine:D :D

mypost
15/12/2005, 12:30 PM
We are playing against very big teams in this tournamentand they are competitive matches, despite what some might think. I would certinly not underestimate any of the teams involved.

The troublesome Saprissa

:D :D

3-0. Easy, easy, easy, easy

These teams are a load of bs. Sao Paulo are the only decent side in it, and the only one capable of giving us a game. Even then, I fully expect us to beat them.

superfrank
15/12/2005, 3:39 PM
These teams are a load of bs. Sao Paulo are the only decent side in it, and the only one capable of giving us a game. Even then, I fully expect us to beat them.
Sao Paolo aren't that great. They nearly got relegated last season when they won the Copa Libertadores.

dfx-
15/12/2005, 3:53 PM
They may have been easier than expected to quote Crouch, but you must prepare for all eventualities. To prepare on the grounds of 'who's heard of them' or 'I've never heard of them so they must be shíte' is unprofessional in the extreme. The aura of triumphalism in your above post indicates such a lack of professionalism that I am comforted that Benitez does not have.

We prepared, we won 3-0 and we now move on and treat Sao Paulo in exactly the same manner.

Poor Student
15/12/2005, 3:57 PM
In Saprissa's credit they came quite close on a few occassions to breaking Liverpool's clean sheet run. They were clearly well behind Liverpool in standard but did carve out a few chances. Granted a few of them were after Liverpool went 3 ahead.

mypost
15/12/2005, 7:52 PM
but you must prepare for all eventualities.

That approach is straight out of the Brian Kerr coaching manual. :rolleyes:

The aura of triumphalism in your post.

It's not triumphalism, it's reality. That shower of world-beaters couldn't live with European Champions. How long did it take to win, 2 minutes? They must be absolutely shi... if Peter Crouch scored against them, twice!! :eek:

So, after all the "other Champions" playing, it's back to the traditional battle for the World Club Championship between the European and South American Champions. Same as it always was and probably, always will be. The other sides are only there to make up the numbers.

Poor Student
15/12/2005, 9:22 PM
Jesus, sounds like some sort of Euro-centric football social-Darwinism!:eek: Don't be surprised to see the Asian side cause an upset some year. There's an increasing investment by oil rich millionaires in Middle Eastern sides like Al Ittihad who only lost by a goal to Sao Paolo. Ok, I didn't see the game but I imagine they kept up to some standard in the match. They tried to sign Kaka and some other high profile star on loan exclusively for the tournament and had 3 Brazilians thrown off their squad as their registrations were rushed too late. The lads behind that club mean business for this tournament. My hope is that this tournament provides some sort of bar for the other continents to raise themselves to. I'm not quite sure the Middle Eastern clubs are going quite the right way about it. However for all I know they are building proper infrastructures while they attempt to lure in big stars.

From the other continents, well the Oceania representatives are only going to get weaker as Australia join the Asian confederation. I don't know if the African representatives can get any better due to the economic situation there. That said clubs like Al Ahly are massive in their own right and shouldn't be looked down upon due to your own footballing ignorance. To the best of my knowledge the CONCACAF Champions League is not taken seriously or competed properly at the moment due to it having next to no prize money on offer. Mexican sides haven't fared as well in it recently having only won 2 of the last 5. Mexican sides are of a decent standard though and have reached the latter stages of the Copa Libertadores since being invited to it in around 2000.

Blatter's heart with this tournament may be in the wrong place (either buying votes or having his ego drive him to make a competition to rival the CL) however I am for it. It gives all clubs in the world the chance to compete with the best and is an incentive for other countries to raise their standard to compete with them.

mypost
16/12/2005, 1:25 AM
Jesus, sounds like some sort of Euro-centric football social-Darwinism!

Sorry???? :confused:

Don't be surprised to see the Asian side cause an upset some year. It gives all clubs in the world the chance to compete with the best and is an incentive for other countries to raise their standard to compete with them

Well, how far did 2 Asian sides get this year? 1 match. How far did the best of North/Central America get this year, before collapsing?? 1 game, and 2 minutes of another one. Granted, they have their chance, but in a competition like the WCC, the European and South American representatives, who have being doing this shindig for 40+ years, will chew them up and spit them out. Having teams from other confederations taking part, merely weakens the tournament, not improve it.

Blatter's heart with this tournament may be in the wrong place (either buying votes or having his ego drive him to make a competition to rival the CL) however I am for it.

This trip is a 2-week junket for FIFA bigwigs, and a chance to tap into the Japanese market for the clubs. There was talk that we would withdraw from it earlier in the year due to our fixture congestion, but we reluctantly took part, after the pre-season Jap tour had to be cancelled. We should beat SP, but win or lose, it doesn't matter one way or the other.

jockser
16/12/2005, 8:42 AM
Having teams from other confederations taking part, merely weakens the tournament, not improve it.

LOL your the biggest windup merchant on this site :D pity you cant do it a bit more cleverly though......
Can you back up your point as to why they weaken the tournament? id like to see you try!!!
Explain to us why the champions of each confederation should not have the right to play for the world club championship? How does this weaken the tournament?
Should costa rica and australia be thrown out of the world cup also because they weaken the WC?
Get some sense lad will ya!:rolleyes:

Block G Raptor
16/12/2005, 9:44 AM
Condolences to Rafa on the sad passing of his father R.I.P.
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N150868051216-0618.htm

Kerry Blue
16/12/2005, 5:55 PM
Sao Paolo aren't that great. They nearly got relegated last season when they won the Copa Libertadores.
Actually Sao Paulo finished in mid table. They won the Paulista Championship as well as the Libertadores. The Libertadores was the big one for them and they rested several players for Brasileiro games during the year, thus their lowly finish. They did have a good run during September and October but having come to the end of a very long season I doubt if they have the hunger or abilty to beat Liverpool. I hope SP do win but I think the way Liverpool are playing at the moment that they just won't be good enough. I can't see anyone beating the reds at the moment. (Now that's something I thought I'd never say!:eek: ).

dfx-
16/12/2005, 9:18 PM
We should beat SP, but win or lose, it doesn't matter one way or the other.

Trust me, I don't want to reply for fear of more bull about the tournament from yourself, but I have to here...

Jesus, sounds like some sort of Euro-centric football social-Darwinism

Excellent..:D

The only way these teams are going to get anywhere near the world beaters mypost desperately wishes is by playing in this tournament and getting gradually better rather writing them off as delinquents in the footballing world and emphasising the superiority complex some give to Europe and South American teams. This is not a junket, these are not friendlies, I would regard this as far more competitive than the Confederations Cup which is just a shameless preparation for the World Cup the following year and nothing else.

mypost has now come full circle and is blasé about playing Sao Paulo and anyone else it seems. Whereas the rational amongst us (everyone else) do not panic when we lose one match against a poorer team or sells one player he wanted to stay, mypost slaughters everyone and deems the manager incapable. When those same people proceed with caution and prepare properly for a game so that you can actually go and hammer them, mypost is questioning why they are even turning up because we're too good. When we are actually on a decent run with the tightest defensive run in the club's history, mypost dismisses it as irrelevant.

I do now not know how to continue a debate with mypost as he keeps changing tack from we are too great (for this tournament) to we are useless because we only beat "crap" teams convincingly. I cannot argue with someone going from one end of the scale to the other. I give up. JoeSemi, jockser, Poor Student, BGR and anyone else can soldier on if they so wish..

mypost
17/12/2005, 4:07 AM
Can you back up your point as to why they weaken the tournament? id like to see you try!!! Explain to us why the champions of each confederation should not have the right to play for the world club championship? How does this weaken the tournament?

Not a bother (http://www.fifa.com/en/comp/matches/0,6537,CWC2005S4,00.html)

The results tell their own story. These non European/South American teams are out of their depth. We play our first game in the tournament against Saprissa, and it's so easy that we're ahead after 2 minutes, and 2 up in half an hour!! God only knows how many Chelsea, Arsenal, Barcelona, Milan, Juventus, River Plate and so on would hit them with, a cricket score probably.

The only way these teams are going to get anywhere near the world beaters mypost desperately wishes is by playing in this tournament and getting gradually better rather writing them off as delinquents in the footballing world and emphasising the superiority complex some give to Europe and South American teams.

Most of those teams feature local players. The South American teams have good players on show, the Europeans have players from the best countries in Europe, together with imports from other continents. It doesn't matter how many years the non Europeans/South Americans play tournaments like this, they are both technically, and tactically inferior to the heavyweights, and always will be. That is the reality, as shown once again this time. Get rid of that tournament, and bring back the Intercontinental Cup Final.

This is not a junket, these are not friendlies, I would regard this as far more competitive than the Confederations Cup.

I regard the Confed Cup along the same lines as this tournament. It's a cash cow for the big clubs, and a handy holiday for the FIFA beaks. Oh, and after that, there is also some football played. :rolleyes: Sides receiving byes, 5th/6th place play-off, wtf?? :confused:

Whereas the rational amongst us do not panic when we lose one match against a poorer team or sells one player he wanted to stay, mypost slaughters everyone and deems the manager incapable.

Did I slaughter the boss for selling Baros?? Did I slaughter the boss for losing at Fulham?? Far from it. You only have to take the case of SG, to hand. I was the one who defended him last season, while others wanted him sold, to "rebuild the side". One poster here dismissed him as a sulking prima donna, who he didn't want near our club. On the contrary, Stevie has been once again the engine and heartbeat of the side during this season. Buying 5 new players in the summer, wouldn't have replaced his influence on the pitch. Far from been a sulking prima donna, the guy is irreplaceable.

When we are actually on a decent run with the tightest defensive run in the club's history, mypost dismisses it as irrelevant.

I said it was all very well beating poor teams, but what we need to do is beat our rivals. I don't want us playing 1 man upfront in home games, I don't want to be thrashed by a title rival at home, I don't want to waste €10 million on a "striker" who, far from being a goal-machine, takes no less than 5 months to open his account.

FYI, I never dismissed the run as irrelevant, I said it was expected. Of course we should beat Portsmouth, West Ham, Sunderland, Wigan, etc, etc. Anything else in those games is failure. Games against the teams around us, are ones that will determine where we finish in the league. Not facile wins against sides whose only ambition is to beat the drop.

dfx-
17/12/2005, 5:03 PM
Two comments:

1. Gerrard last season was irreplaceable. An irreplaceable prima donna.
2. Did you want Baros to stay? If not, then why would you complain? Or maybe it's Smicer I'm on about. Maybe you wanted him to stay..:rolleyes:

Otherwise, no comment.

sligoman
17/12/2005, 5:08 PM
Sao Paolo's manager claimed that if you put a European team into the Copa Libertadores, they would struggle in it. He said that if you put a south American team in the Champions league, they would do very well and have a good chance of winning it:eek:.

mypost
17/12/2005, 7:34 PM
Sao Paolo's manager claimed that if you put a European team into the Copa Libertadores, they would struggle in it. He said that if you put a south American team in the Champions league, they would do very well and have a good chance of winning it.

Next joke?? :D

sligoman
17/12/2005, 8:06 PM

Next joke??Why did the chicken cross the road?;)

dfx-
17/12/2005, 8:06 PM
Because there was no zebra crossing?:p

Poor Student
17/12/2005, 9:54 PM
Most of those teams feature local players. The South American teams have good players on show, the Europeans have players from the best countries in Europe, together with imports from other continents. It doesn't matter how many years the non Europeans/South Americans play tournaments like this, they are both technically, and tactically inferior to the heavyweights, and always will be. That is the reality, as shown once again this time. Get rid of that tournament, and bring back the Intercontinental Cup Final.

How are they bound to be technically and tactically inferior forever? The progress in both of these areas in continents and countries outwidth Europe and South America even over the last two decades has been immense. How can you abitrarily deny the overwhelming majority of the world the right to compete against the best clubs in the world?:confused: You would deny them this for the sake of two clubs playing 1 extra match? I think you mentioning 2 Asian sides only highlights your ignorance and dismissiveness of the other clubs. Care to show me the 2nd Asian side?

By the way, I guess Palace don't deserve to be in the football league after conceding a goal in under 30 seconds today against Plymouth eh? What a silly specious argument.

sligoman
17/12/2005, 10:32 PM
Because there was no zebra crossing?:pYes dfx, that's it well done:rolleyes:. :D.

dfx-
18/12/2005, 2:13 AM
Yaaaaayyy:cool: :p

mypost
18/12/2005, 6:34 AM
How are they bound to be technically and tactically inferior forever? The progress in both of these areas in continents and countries outwidth Europe and South America even over the last two decades has been immense.

Check the results. If they've made so much progress, why do they keep losing?? Not just this time, but every time they come up against European/South American teams.

How can you abitrarily deny the overwhelming majority of the world the right to compete against the best clubs in the world?:confused: You would deny them this for the sake of two clubs playing 1 extra match?

The overwhelming majority of the world doesn't care about this mickey mouse tournament. This is a FIFA event, making more unnecessary demands on players. Forcing clubs to fly their players halfway around the world to play 2-3 games in a week in the middle of their league seasons, just for the hell of it, is crass organisation. The game against Saprissa was our 30th game already this season. :eek:

I think you mentioning 2 Asian sides only highlights your ignorance and dismissiveness of the other clubs. Care to show me the 2nd Asian side?

Alright, you got me on that one. But the team from Egypt are as near to Asia, as Kazachstan and Israeli teams are to Europe.

By the way, I guess Palace don't deserve to be in the football league after conceding a goal in under 30 seconds today against Plymouth eh? What a silly specious argument.

What's this about?? How relevant is it to this thread?? :confused:

Plastic Paddy
18/12/2005, 7:20 AM
This is a FIFA event, making more unnecessary demands on players. Forcing clubs to fly their players halfway around the world to play 2-3 games in a week in the middle of their league seasons, just for the hell of it, is crass organisation. The game against Saprissa was our 30th game already this season.

Serves Liverpool right. You could and should have finished above Everton last season and then six of those games this time around would have been avoided. :p

:ball: PP

sligoman
18/12/2005, 11:22 AM
Oh would ya look at that. Liverpool aren't World champions after all;) :p.

Kerry Blue
18/12/2005, 6:33 PM
Another trophy for the Tricolor this year. :D Well done to Sao Paulo! The Champions of the World!!:D :D

dfx-
18/12/2005, 6:49 PM
Fair play to Sao Paulo, they somehow managed to hold out and our constant second half pressure didn't work out. Back to the league we go then. (avoiding 1-2 defeats to West Ham and 0-4 to Bolton and 1-1 draws at home to Everton, of course) ;)

mypost, we lost - you better go back out and rearrange that postponed protest march outside Anfield against Benitez and his stupid regime and go on hunger strike until Mikey agrees to come back and save us from the depths of eternal failure! Quick - get to it you can't afford to lose any time!

mypost
18/12/2005, 7:37 PM
mypost, we lost - you better go back out and rearrange that postponed protest march outside Anfield against Benitez and his stupid regime and go on hunger strike until Mikey agrees to come back and save us from the depths of eternal failure! Quick - get to it you can't afford to lose any time!

:D

Poor Student
18/12/2005, 7:39 PM
Check the results. If they've made so much progress, why do they keep losing?? Not just this time, but every time they come up against European/South American teams.

Keep losing? What losing streak are you on about then?:confused:

The overwhelming majority of the world doesn't care about this mickey mouse tournament. This is a FIFA event, making more unnecessary demands on players. Forcing clubs to fly their players halfway around the world to play 2-3 games in a week in the middle of their league seasons, just for the hell of it, is crass organisation. The game against Saprissa was our 30th game already this season. :eek:

The tournament being Mickey Mouse is your subjective opinion. For a final that no one cares about that was some crowd of neutrals at the final. Who are you to say what the majority of the world wants? Actually all the other clubs have finished their seasons so the word "clubs" is incorrect. The only team it doesn't particularly suit is Liverpool. But hey, that's the burden of success. Do you complain about the burden of midweek games due to having to play in the CL? The only reason you're up to so many games is due to not finishing in the top 4 last season and having the privelege of playing in other tournaments as European champions.

Alright, you got me on that one. But the team from Egypt are as near to Asia, as Kazachstan and Israeli teams are to Europe.

I'm sorry, you're not getting away with that. By the way, you'll find part of Kazakhstan is actually in Europe.

What's this about?? How relevant is it to this thread?? :confused:

In a silly flippant way you've been using Liverpool's quick goal against Saprissa to run them down as if conceding a quick goal is the entire measure of a team's quality. I agree, it is an irrelevant point.

mypost
19/12/2005, 1:04 AM
The tournament being Mickey Mouse is your subjective opinion. For a final that no one cares about that was some crowd of neutrals at the final.

There were 600 Liverpool fans and Japanese at the final. Did Chelsea care about it, did Barcelona, AC Milan, Real Madrid, Boca Juniors care about it?? Unless your team's involved, noone gives a hoot.

Who are you to say what the majority of the world wants?
And vice versa?? :confused:

Do you complain about the burden of midweek games due to having to play in the CL?

Midweek games in the CL are played in Germany, Spain, France, Belgium, Holland, etc, all of whom are considerably nearer to Liverpool than Japan.

The only reason you're up to so many games is due to not finishing in the top 4 last season and having the privelege of playing in other tournaments as European champions.

Rather it's because of UEFA's crass rules. If the holders were allowed to defend the CL by right, we would have gone straight into the group stages, as what should have happened. That's a debate for another time.

you'll find part of Kazakhstan is actually in Europe.

Kazachstan is in Asia.

In a silly flippant way you've been using Liverpool's quick goal against Saprissa to run them down as if conceding a quick goal is the entire measure of a team's quality. I agree, it is an irrelevant point.

Liverpool have conceded goals in the first minute occasionally. Palace and Plymouth are teams in the same league, of the same standard. If you expect Costa Rican no-hopers to seriously push European Champions, that is delusional. Games against Sao Paulo are a few steps up from playing Blackburn, Sunderland, Wigan, and Portsmouth every week. Just as well, that the defeat didn't matter.

Aberdonian Stu
19/12/2005, 11:11 AM
A portion of Kazakhstan is west of the Urals making it partly in Europe. The rest is in Asia (not wholly dissimilar to Russia albeit with a far smaller proportion of its land in Europe).

dfx-
19/12/2005, 4:46 PM
Did Chelsea care about it, did Barcelona, AC Milan, Real Madrid, Boca Juniors care about it?? Unless your team's involved, noone gives a hoot.

Why should they....? If your team is not good enough to play in it, then you shouldn't care..I thought that would be obvious...:rolleyes: