Glentoran
Shelbourne
Derry

Another is:
Cork
Drogheda
Dungannon
Portadown

That's only strong rumours. Can't confirm as fact.

dcfcsteve
12/12/2005, 5:15 PM
It's on the Setanta website as that, so is confirmed.

Cork genuinely could not have had an easier draw.

City's is feckin hard - Linfield and Shels. Oh dear. Hopefully our unbeaten streak against the Sheliban will continue.....

Poor Student
12/12/2005, 5:15 PM
Ok, apparently nearly certain:

Group 1:
Cork
Drogheda
Dungannon
Portadown

Group 2:
Linfield
Glentoran
Shelbourne
Derry

Feb 20 Linfield v Derry
Mar 27 Derry v Linfield

I'm getting this off the Northern Irish forum.

Poor Student
12/12/2005, 5:17 PM
It's on the Setanta website as that, so is confirmed.

Ok, well there you go then.:D

Well the draw was certainly not fixed or seeded. The Group 2 looks very tasty.

Raheny Red
12/12/2005, 5:21 PM
3 trips up north so.........fcúking marvellous :cool: :) :cool:

Slash/ED
12/12/2005, 5:45 PM
Fair to say that goings on around group 2 this year will decide weather this competition will be a success or failure. Avoid any crap off the field and it's another argument for the all Ireland league, hopefully that's what happens.

Fortuna1886
12/12/2005, 6:05 PM
Fair to say that goings on around group 2 this year will decide weather this competition will be a success or failure. Avoid any crap off the field and it's another argument for the all Ireland league, hopefully that's what happens.

I agree, both sets of fans at the recent Derry/Linfield friendly where well behaved. It was the locals outside the ground that sent it tits up.

On the footballing side thats one tough group. Cant see the Glens progressing on recent form but I couldn't call it from the other 3.

I think the Ports will struggle in the other group and Dungannon will be the whipping boys.

brendy_éire
12/12/2005, 7:05 PM
On the footballing side thats one tough group. Cant see the Glens progressing on recent form but I couldn't call it from the other 3.

The group of death, alright. Would fancy Cork and Drogheda. It's too early to tell at the minute, but recent form would suggest the Glens aren't going too far. Linfield are scoring for fun at the minute, but it's hard to judge how they'd do against eL teams.

Can't wait for the Windsor match. Security will be mad. I live round the corner from Windsor, but don't fancy me chance walking down Tate's. Busing it in, I guess. :rolleyes:

MariborKev
12/12/2005, 7:30 PM
We'll run a bus from Queens to Windsor............:D

Shortest away trip ever for the QUBSC

Fortuna1886
12/12/2005, 8:09 PM
The group of death, alright. Would fancy Cork and Drogheda. It's too early to tell at the minute, but recent form would suggest the Glens aren't going too far. Linfield are scoring for fun at the minute, but it's hard to judge how they'd do against eL teams.

Can't wait for the Windsor match. Security will be mad. I live round the corner from Windsor, but don't fancy me chance walking down Tate's. Busing it in, I guess. :rolleyes:

Windsor itself is grand, even if fans wanted at each other, which I doubt, they'd have a damn near impossible job. Outside is pretty good too. Away fans will no doubt enter via the boucher road which is a main road through whats best described as a major Retail/industrial area. Come off the motorway at Stockmans lane and you avoid any "contentious" areas at all.

Wee Buns!

headtheball
12/12/2005, 8:29 PM
Windsor itself is grand, even if fans wanted at each other, which I doubt, they'd have a damn near impossible job. Outside is pretty good too. Away fans will no doubt enter via the boucher road which is a main road through whats best described as a major Retail/industrial area. Come off the motorway at Stockmans lane and you avoid any "contentious" areas at all.

Wee Buns!

Haven't been to Windsor park since George Best(R.I.P) testimonial.Should be a great night.Is the M2 handiest to get to Windsor Park or the M1?

Fortuna1886
12/12/2005, 9:29 PM
Haven't been to Windsor park since George Best(R.I.P) testimonial.Should be a great night.Is the M2 handiest to get to Windsor Park or the M1?

The M1, it runs paralell with the Boucher Road. Come off the M2 and head up the West Link. You can turn Off at the Broadway Roundabout but i'd suggest keep going to Stockmans Lane. Would only add about 5 minutes.

Dazzy
12/12/2005, 9:50 PM
Cant wait for this, the group i actually wanted, hopefully the games would be remembered for the right reasons and that the thugs stay away!

pete
13/12/2005, 10:02 AM
Hoefully Shels & Derry will kick the crap out of eachother in their group so will affect their league form.

I love Rico quote today in the paper when commenting on early start to 2006 season "i'll be having my holidays in Dungannon in february..." :D

The Sheliban
13/12/2005, 10:08 AM
Obviously this draw is an example of the anti-Shels conspiracy in Irish football today.

Macy
13/12/2005, 10:11 AM
Obviously this draw is an example of the anti-Shels conspiracy in Irish football today.
IFA balancing the FAI....

Jerry The Saint
13/12/2005, 10:32 AM

Nonsense, this is clearly yet another example of shocking anti-Cork bias. How are Cork meant to prepare for the knock-out stages after coming through such an easy group? The teams in Group 2 clearly have an advantage as they will be better prepared.

It seems like it's one rule for the Dublin (and Belfast and Derry) teams and another for everyone else. :mad:

Did anyone notice the Linfield chairman David Crawford's comments on the draw - he said he was looking forward to the tournament even though the group contained arguably "the 4 best teams in Ireland". I have a feeling he'd have no problem getting an argument on that comment! :D

OneRedArmy
13/12/2005, 10:37 AM
We'll run a bus from Queens to Windsor............:D

Shortest away trip ever for the QUBSC
Will the bus be taking the direct route down Tate's Avenue then? :D

Dassa
13/12/2005, 10:37 AM
I think it should be a case of taking each game as it comes and not rubbishing off any team just yet. Cork would do well to remember what the "supposed" weaker side did to them last year in the group stages. What way does it work? top two sides from each group into semis? Final up In NI this year?

BrendyH
13/12/2005, 11:21 AM
Can't wait for the Linfield and Glens matches meself. imo the best draw we could have got.

Mark Breen
13/12/2005, 11:35 AM
So glad there are semi's cause i think shels will come 2nd and even if we do get Cork in the semi's (who probably will win their group) i feel we can take them or anyone else in group 1 to get to the final where we'll meet derry or linfield

Peadar
13/12/2005, 12:16 PM
Cork would do well to remember what the "supposed" weaker side did to them last year in the group stages.

New manager has settled, stronger side with an appetite for success.
Plenty European experience in the side.

Dassa
13/12/2005, 12:32 PM
Not saying its going to happen to Cork again but there is always surprises.

Peadar
13/12/2005, 12:39 PM
Not saying its going to happen to Cork again but there is always surprises.

When you give home advantage to a side who are match fit, against a side who are still in pre season training, then of course there can be a surprise.

The bigger format wont give any further advantage to the nordie boys though, because we'll get stronger with each game.

Schumi
13/12/2005, 12:39 PM
What kind of standard are Dungannon? I assume they're a good bit behind the top three up there but in EL terms where would they be?

Peadar
13/12/2005, 12:41 PM
in EL terms where would they be?

Limerick FC (or whatever they're called)

pineapple stu
13/12/2005, 12:52 PM
What kind of standard are Dungannon? I assume they're a good bit behind the top three up there but in EL terms where would they be?
Came fourth last year, but 24 points off Glentoran and 22 off Linfield. Closer to eighth than third. Very difficult to put a standard on them - for IL or eL fans - but I'd be surprised if they were much better than us at best. Possibly Harps.

Dassa
13/12/2005, 1:13 PM
Dungannon would be one of my teams (loughgall fc) local rivals and the thing about them is that they try as a side to play a bit of football, and are a good side to watch. Have only been in the top division about 5-6 years afaik.
Main players to watch for would be
Rodney McAree- managers son and cm
David Scullion- was at aston villa - CF. Very fast and very skillfull.
I think any ravelling fans will like their ground very compact,closed over and creates a good atmosphere. website below

www.dungannonswiftsfc.co.uk

Peadar
13/12/2005, 1:32 PM
I think any ravelling fans will like their ground very compact

Compact is right, the pitch is tiny!

Gerrit
19/12/2005, 9:06 PM
Marvellous draw ! I live practically next to Linfield's ground (well, I live along Lisburn Road, South Belfast), three games coming up that will be heavily emotional on and off pitch.

But when Derry and Glens come, please forgive me for covering my front window :)

OneRedArmy
19/12/2005, 9:21 PM
But when Derry and Glens come, please forgive me for covering my front window :) We don't hate Shels THAT much.......
:D

Gerrit
20/12/2005, 6:01 PM
I live a stonethrow from Windsor Park, and let's say 'events' happened last time Glens and Derry came down to Windsor :eek: But after the last Setanta Cup with no incidents at all, I have good hopes on another tournament bringing fans in North and South closer together.

Good games coming up close to the door, and there's also Norn Iron-Estonia in early spring. Keep those fixtures coming! :D

Slash/ED
20/12/2005, 6:04 PM
I live a stonethrow from Windsor Park

An apt description alright :p