PDA

View Full Version : Junior Club Facilities

hamish
12/12/2005, 3:50 PM
Thinking about local football in a positive fashion, I've read quite a few posts on facilities in Junior football.

I have seen many clubs with fantastic facilities in various parts of the country.

Perhaps, some of you might like to share with us information about the facilities of your local football club or other clubs you've visited.

Again, this is about Junior or schoolboy/girl clubs, NOT Eircom League.

It's amazing how clubs, even in the townlands and small villages, have some terrific set-ups.

Have you any good examples?

This information might come in handy if some of you are playing still (or supporting your local club) and might be visiting clubs in the FAI Junior Cup or some such competition - nice to know what to expect.:)

galwaygirl
12/12/2005, 5:24 PM
Have to say, one of the best set-ups i've seen has to be Salthill Devon's Drom.
Their website http://www.salthilldevon.ie/ is under construction at the moment but there's a couple of pictures at the top of it that would give you a fair idea of it. Think it cost about E6 million..

hamish
12/12/2005, 6:38 PM
Have to say, one of the best set-ups i've seen has to be Salthill Devon's Drom.
Their website http://www.salthilldevon.ie/ is under construction at the moment but there's a couple of pictures at the top of it that would give you a fair idea of it. Think it cost about E6 million..

Jaysus, that is some awesome set up Galway Girl. Brother in law was there recently with some Athlone girls footie teams and was amazed.

I know at least one of the blokes involved........Noel Meehan of Specsavers........brother in law used to teach him.:eek:

There was another chap.........I just can't remember his name. He's a sound bloke and his family have/had a newsagents/shop just off Eyre Square.:)

strangeirish
12/12/2005, 7:03 PM
Newbridge Town FC (http://www.newbridgetownfc.com/index.php?id=18) My old club. Although Kildare County plays there, it's still a right set up for a junior team to have such accomplished facilities. And now that it has been re-zoned, the land is worth a fortune!

hamish
12/12/2005, 7:13 PM
Newbridge Town FC (http://www.newbridgetownfc.com/index.php?id=18) My old club. Although Kildare County plays there, it's still a right set up for a junior team to have such accomplished facilities. And now that it has been re-zoned, the land is worth a fortune!
Was there in either 1997 or 1998 and they've made even more progress since then. Way to go Newbridge.:)

strangeirish
12/12/2005, 7:16 PM
Was there in either 1997 or 1998 and they've made even more progress since then. Way to go Newbridge.:)
If you look real close, if you ever get there again, in the foyer and the bar and you will see a few photo's of strangeirish! Both were removed from the post office.

hamish
12/12/2005, 7:25 PM
If you look real close, if you ever get there again, in the foyer and the bar and you will see a few photo's of strangeirish! Both were removed from the post office.

Ha ha.:D

My dad was from Kildare strangeirish,: I hope we're not related.LOL:D:eek:

strangeirish
12/12/2005, 7:31 PM
Ha ha.:D

My dad was from Kildare strangeirish,: I hope we're not related.LOL:D:eek:
I was born in Portloise (the hospital, not the prison) but raised in Newbridge. No relation methinks.

hamish
12/12/2005, 7:41 PM
I was born in Portloise (the hospital, not the prison) but raised in Newbridge. No relation methinks.

Whew.:p :D

Ballinasloe Town FC.....view from clubhouse

Floodlights are up to colour television standards (smirk)
Stand on the right holds about 500......seats not installed yet.

http://www.ballinasloe.com/photos/displayimage.php?album=14&pos=11

renovater
12/12/2005, 9:15 PM
you must go to mayo sometime on your travels, I would say they must have great facilities
Some of those clubs have two pitches trainning grounds even astro pitches.they are the envey of connaught its apart of their criteria not to mention stands and flood lighting

Thunderblaster
12/12/2005, 10:27 PM
If you are in Mayo, check out Milebush, Ballyheane, Manulla, Ballyglass and Snugboro. In the next tier, I would put in Castlebar Celtic, Ballyvary BB and Swinford.

hamish
12/12/2005, 10:40 PM
If you are in Mayo, check out Milebush, Ballyheane, Manulla, Ballyglass and Snugboro. In the next tier, I would put in Castlebar Celtic, Ballyvary BB and Swinford.

I have used Manulla as the venue for the Connacht Primary Schools finals.....awesome. Have also been in Milebush too. Fantastic set-ups. Have only heard about the others but great reports. Mayo is, surely, the most progressive county in the country for excellent club facilities.

Any pictures of all the above lads???:)

Not being big-headed but this thread is important to show the progress made throughout the country as so many are saying that facilities are bad in Ireland.:)

leftoutside
12/12/2005, 11:25 PM

there is another part of Mayo not connected with the castlebar area thats north mayo and out in Bangor the local hibs side now have one iof the finest pitches in mayo with an excellent clubhouse and ballina town have to be rated as one of the top facilities once they open thier new facilities and i was at a match in killala the other week and what facilities floodlit astroturf, immaculate pitch and a new club house, I wonder what tier these clubs are in?

lim abroad
13/12/2005, 2:12 AM
i have to say that i'm well impressed with the set-ups that the above clubs have,they would easily be far superior than anything we have in limerick,keep up the good work!!:)

hamish
13/12/2005, 7:45 PM
Anyone know how to check out Junior clubs and where to get them. I've tried all sorts of sites via Google Ireland but am drawing a blank.

For example, a few years ago, I came across Piltown FC (Kilkenny) and saw their new ground with pictures etc. Now, there is a site for them but no ground pictures. Ditto Parkvilla in Navan.

Anyone help me here???

paul_oshea
13/12/2005, 8:38 PM
It's amazing how clubs, even in the townlands and small villages, have some terrific set-ups.

castlerea celtic, have a clubhouse in place at the moment with an upstairs gym and a snooker club, they also have a stand on one side of the pitch, and at the other a fully flood lit astro turf pitch, the new kind ones that dont cause carpet burns.
in the last few years htey must have put in about 400,000 euro alone. they really are getting there.

boyle celtic have a very good setup as well.

the 12 th man
13/12/2005, 8:40 PM
I'm told Fanad Utd (Donegal) have a good set up anybody know about this club?.

hamish
13/12/2005, 9:56 PM
I notice a good few clubs have websites but very few pics of their grounds.

drummerboy
14/12/2005, 9:58 AM
Gannon Park, Malahide top notch
Frank Cook Park, Tolka Rovers, excellent setup, small stand
Arklow Town, 2 superb pitch, stand and all weather pitchels
Edenderry Town, another superb pitch, along with all weather training areas
Mullingar Athletic, excellent facilities, plus floodlights installed recently
Parkvilla, good facilities, running track around pitch

Happily, all over the country including some of the lower leagues clubs are starting to benefit from grants and providing quality pitches, long may it last

balls
17/12/2005, 9:22 PM
cahir park must have one of best pitches in munster and training area as well as an astro turf pitch. stand also covers 1 side of pich. saint michaels from tipp town also have similar facilities. Clonmel town have there own indoor soccer hall as well as beautifl pitch with running track around it. too many clubs around the country with poor facilities though its not acceptable in this day and age

Thunderblaster
14/01/2006, 9:54 PM
Bonagee United in Letterkenny has a great set up.

citybone
16/01/2006, 3:01 PM
skibbereen afc have two full sized picths a floodlighted training pitch and a all wheather atletics track(skibbereen A.C.(atletics) are tenents)has two changing rooms a small room for meetings etc. and is planning on another pair of changing rooms these are by far the best facilities in west cork leagues and the west cork district league plays there

Athenryboy
16/01/2006, 3:44 PM
Athenry Fc have great facilities along with Salthill Devon & Mervue United in Galway ,Our gym which contributes to the running of the club. great to see junior clubs getting their act together around the country.

www.athenryfc.com