PDA

View Full Version : Newcastle - anyone ever been there?

Cosmo
12/12/2005, 1:31 PM
I'm going over there for a weekend in january. Anyone ever been there?

Was reading in nuts that it was supposed to be a cracking place to go out in, one nightclub having a revolving dance floor and everything :D !! Anyone able to recommend any decent pubs/ nightclubs?

Also we're hoping to catch a football match over there - all the premiership teams near there are away that weekend (bar one who are playing on the sunday which will be too awkward for us!!) - anyone know what championship sides, or even lower are near enough to newcastle? (and handy enough getting to and from!!)

pineapple stu
12/12/2005, 1:36 PM
Darlington and Hartlepool are the nearby lower league teams (Div 3 and 2 respectively). That's about all I know.

Macy
12/12/2005, 1:47 PM
Was there a couple of times, but only for matches. Drank in Tyneside Irish Centre near the ground, but that's about it. Only pack T-Shirts, as whatever the weather, the locals will call you poofs if you wear anything with sleeves. :D

gustavo
12/12/2005, 1:49 PM
yea its supposed to be a really nice city with urban renewal done on some of the older areas

Peadar
12/12/2005, 1:50 PM
Seriously mad spot!
The women will hop on you if you so much as make eye contact.
Been 6 years since I was there but there was plenty action at the Waterside??? Think that's what the area is called.

carrickharp
12/12/2005, 2:09 PM
Great spot a few of us went over there around a year ago (one of them has moved over there with a local girl he met on the beer :eek: ) very friendly people (inc doormen no hassle getting into bars/clubs). You will enjoy it.

Dricky
12/12/2005, 2:15 PM
Don't wear a coat when you are out on the town, you will look like an outsider, no kidding....

Roo69
12/12/2005, 2:16 PM
Great spot alright, it's like a country of it's own. The locals are fcuking mental and as someone posted, the lasses would nearly jump ya if ya say hello or make eye contact with them ! seriously cheap for booze as well. Some great spots over the Tyne bridge....

carrickharp
12/12/2005, 2:55 PM
I made great use of being from Donegal "sure I went to school with Shay Given, he's good mate of mine" it worked wonders;).

"Don't wear a coat when you are out on the town, you will look like an outsider, no kidding...."

How true:D

paul_oshea
12/12/2005, 3:05 PM
anyone know what championship sides, or even lower are near enough to newcastle?

doncaster are they not a train ride bout hour or am i thinking of someone else??? if you fly to tee side.

Green Tribe
12/12/2005, 5:41 PM
been a few years since a went there too, people are dead nice, it's so true about the clothes, I went in February and all the guys were wearing light shirts, no jackets:eek: and the women(who scared the sh1te out of me) basically wore nothing :eek:

I think the revolving dancefloor(if still there) is on a boat, it was a good place, remember it well, but no idea of the name! IT's on the river anyway! :o

Enjoy

Pauro 76
12/12/2005, 6:03 PM
Had a mate who was a bartender in Newcastle, fantastic place, not sure about the women leaping on ya, but then maybe it was just me! Locals dead friendly too, a good weekend spot.

Cosmo
12/12/2005, 6:04 PM
IT's on the river anyway!

That should be easy to find so :D

Cheers everyone for replying - sounds like ill have a good time over there!!

As for not wearing jackets, f**k that, they can call me a puff all they want but im bringing a big winter jacket - mid january ffs :eek:

They must be really tough guys over there :D

Superhoops
12/12/2005, 6:56 PM
Seriously mad spot!
The women will hop on you if you so much as make eye contact.
Been 6 years since I was there but there was plenty action at the Waterside??? Think that's what the area is called.
Bigg Market is the spot, dozens of pubs and clubs and scantily clad young ladies. Most of the blokes wear Newcastle football tops. The weekend starts on Thursday night and ends on Monday night.

If plan to watch a game on TV, you could do worse than Idols in Newgate Street (underneath the Quality Hotel) just up from the main Bigg Market. Beer can be pricey but they usually have happy hours before and after games (about £8 for 4 pint pitchers). They have topless dancers on before and after the game and the barmaids are usually kitted out in skimpy bikinis.

Newcastle is a good place though for a night out.

sligoman
12/12/2005, 7:57 PM
I was there a few years ago on school tour. Went to see Sunderland Vs. Liverpool at the Stadium of Light. It's a great city, although, I cant really comment on the clubs, pubs, etc.:o. The teacher's didn't let us explore that end of things:p.

dcfcsteve
13/12/2005, 1:46 PM
I lived there for 3 years Cosmo, have a reunion p!ss-up with my old work mates in thge Toon every 6mths (was there the Fri before the FAI Cup Final) and I'm up there every few months on business.

Easily my favourite city in thios corner of Europe. the people are lovely, genuine, friendly and have a carcking sense of humour. The women are something else - generally more attractive than any other town I've been in outside of London, and very friendly and up for the craic.

For football clubs, it's probably not a bad thing the Toon Army and Mackems aren't playing when you're there, as both are painful specatcles at the moment ! NUFC is also very expensive. Your best bet for a game would be Darlington - 30mins on the train, and a return costs less than a tenner. As someone else mentioned - when you're looking into flights over, consider Durham-Tees airport as it's the most painless airpiort you'll ever encounter and is very easy to get to on the train from Newcastle.

As for going out at night, depends what you're after. The Bigg Market is sh!te unless you're deaf, under 18, desperate for cheap beer and looking for ropey women. Studnets don't even lower themselves to go there. The biggest and best night-life area is along the Quayside. Cheaper than Dublin for bar prices, and a much better quality of punter and women. For nightclubs, try Tiger Tiger or the Baja Beach Club (though I haven't been to the 'badger' in a few years).

Where about in the Toon are yee's staying ?

Cosmo
13/12/2005, 2:45 PM
Cheers Steve, flights are booked (flying with ryanair so whereever they fly in is where im flying to!)

Think we'll check out the darlington match so if its the handiest as they're playing at home that weekend- do ye have the website for train times handy?

Haven't booked anywhere to stay yet - any suggestions? (something cheap but does the job!!!)

Any decent pubs near to those 2 nightclubs ye recommended or is just happening all over the quayside area?

Btw is it a big city to get around? (jaysus I sound like a woman now :D )

paul_oshea
13/12/2005, 2:58 PM
flying with ryanair so whereever they fly in is where im flying to

if its from dublin its teeside. you have to get a bus to the station and then a train, the bus takes about 40 mins or so to the station and trains are every 30 - 60 mins, but sometimes you have to change once. The train when i was there was 14 quid, that was 3 years ago or so!!!!

if you have been to knock airport its relatively the same size as that. fierce fierce handy.

thetrainline.co.uk

carrickharp
13/12/2005, 2:59 PM
Very easy to get around it is very hilly though, you will know what I mean when you get there.

dcfcsteve
13/12/2005, 3:24 PM
Cheers Steve, flights are booked (flying with ryanair so whereever they fly in is where im flying to!)

Think we'll check out the darlington match so if its the handiest as they're playing at home that weekend- do ye have the website for train times handy?

Haven't booked anywhere to stay yet - any suggestions? (something cheap but does the job!!!)

Any decent pubs near to those 2 nightclubs ye recommended or is just happening all over the quayside area?

Btw is it a big city to get around? (jaysus I sound like a woman now :D )

You're probably flying direct into Newcastle then. There's a handy wee Metro system in Newcastle that'll take you from the airport into town.

Accommodation depends on how mcuh you want to spend. For all round convenience etc I'd suggest staying in one of the numerous B&B's in Jesmond (Osbourne Rd). It's the student area of town, but bizarrely also the poshest area of central Newcastle. There's racks of good bars and restaurants around the B&B's, and they're good places to start before heading into town. The town centre is 2 Metro stops or a 10-15min walk from there.

The Quayside area is at the bottom of a long aul hill, isn't on the Metro, and is the side of town away from Jesmond, so it's a taxi job to get to there. Look on the web at the Travelodge and Travel Inn/Holiday Inn on Newcastle Quayside for accommodation. They're about £60 a night, but bang in the thick of the club and pub action.

Another idea instead of Darlington could be to go and see Berwick Rangers play ! They're doing well chasing promotion form Scot Div 3, and are one of a select group of clubs to be based in one footballing jurisdiction whilst playing in another. Berwick's 40mins on train from Newcastle - about £15 return. www.thetrainline.com Darlington have a nice new wee stadium though.

Plenty of bars down the Quayside, and on the way to it. I'd recommend Johnny Ringo's for a fewhalfway down, then head for Chase. Though it really depends on what sort of vibe you're looking for.

In terms of the size of the city, the centre is small and easy to get around (though bear5 in mind again the winding hill from the Quayside up to the centre). Anywhere else you need is easily done by taxi or Metro. The one exception, if you're planning on going shopping, is that the Metro Centre (one of Briatian's biggest shopping centre) is not on the Metro and is a ****** to get to. But I doubt you're planning 2 go shopping....:D

Peadar
13/12/2005, 3:26 PM
National Rail Enquiries (http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/) is a handy website for anyone planning a train journey in the UK.

paul_oshea
13/12/2005, 3:42 PM
one of Briatian's biggest shopping centre

ya its in between newcastle and sunderland really isnt it? kinda off the motorway comes from no where out of the sticks. oh ya and keep an eye out for that yoke the angel of the north if yer headin down that way!!!LOL

the newcastle fans put a huge jersey on it with shearer no.9

Cosmo
14/12/2005, 12:26 PM
:D Thanks for all the info!! (sound like a right woman looking for all the info haha )

Dcfcsteve tried to pm ye there to ask this but your inbox is full, we're looking at going to sunderland and chelsea on the sunday whne were going home (our flight home from newcastle isnt til something like 9 or 10 sunday night) so I reckon we'd make it no bother? - I know ye can buy train tickets online, but ye dont have to though, do ye? Like im sure you'll get on a train no bother without buying them in advance?

paul_oshea
14/12/2005, 12:28 PM
cosmo while your waiting for steve to reply the metro goes to sunderland its about half hour and it only costs about £7. if i remember correctly!!!

Cosmo
14/12/2005, 12:40 PM
Cheers Paul o shea (just didnt want to bore everyone on here which such a trivial question)

Foot.ie, the place to solve all lifes little problems :)

dcfcsteve
14/12/2005, 2:15 PM
cosmo while your waiting for steve to reply the metro goes to sunderland its about half hour and it only costs about £7. if i remember correctly!!!

Paul's right. Metro will take you straight to the Stadium of Light.

Just be a wee bit careful if you're wearing Sunderland colours (or anything that looks like Sunderland colours) on the Newcastle legs of your journey. The rivalry can be a bit lively at times....

Cosmo
14/12/2005, 2:38 PM
Just be a wee bit careful if you're wearing Sunderland colours (or anything that looks like Sunderland colours) on the Newcastle legs of your journey. The rivalry can be a bit lively at times....

Eh, will be claret and blue all the way :)