PDA

View Full Version : Buy or Develop?

A face
11/12/2005, 12:37 PM
Which should Lennox do ??
People say that Lennox should not be so prudent and loosen the purse strings, but Lennox has continually said that he doesn't want to live beyond our means and spend money that is not there.

So i am just asking, what should the clubs policy be, to either buy players that maybe we cant afford and possibly run into problems down the line (Bohs having to off load players that were part of a great squad) or should we invest money into developing players that would eventually come through to the first team.

Obviously if buying players, you would try and take advantage of the market as best as possible and if developing youth, you'd still buy the odd few players. Just asking what a long term general policy should be.

nismo
11/12/2005, 1:13 PM
a bit of both is best!

pete
11/12/2005, 7:36 PM
How do you invest in developing players in the eL? Its not as if eL clubs have millions so can decide to build academy instead of buying another player....

A face
11/12/2005, 7:52 PM
Well the development investment would be on the coaching side of things first i thought. Also i dont this any clubs are using some of the newer techniques, the scientific approach if you will.

I am not totally up on this sports science stuff now but heres an example. Youth rugby in New Zealand are all using a colour code thing now, so that when you are training, there wouldn't be just the one sequence or drill or whatever to carry out, there would be a set of four, and the player will would have to decide what to do based on the colour that is shown to him. The process is meant to improve their decision making under pressure and it helps to organised the player mentally and help his reasoning etc. ..... as i said, i am not totally up on that stuff to be honest and probably haven't explained it right, but i dont know that the only one that ever mentioned anything like that at City was Derek Mountfield.

I am not saying City should lash loads of money in to get an academy going, but just look at the bigger picture development wise, as opposed to buying a player.

pete
11/12/2005, 8:02 PM
There are no players coming through from the U21s now so need to buy.

A face
11/12/2005, 8:08 PM
There are no players coming through from the U21s now so need to buy.

What about the lads out on loan ??

City should have the players going in groups of three to all the schools around the city five days a week for an hour. The impact it would have would be totally unreal, and help the training system no end.

thejollyrodger
11/12/2005, 8:20 PM
Wenger has shown that certain sucess can be obtained with a decent underage set up and you can continue to keep finding the youngsters coming through even though it may seem like things are drying up.

Risteard
11/12/2005, 11:09 PM
Afaik City have a lot of investment in Colaiste Stiofain Naofa courses.

A face
11/12/2005, 11:36 PM
Afaik City have a lot of investment in Colaiste Stiofain Naofa courses.

There is something there alright .... and the Lotto are doing great work aswell, fair play to them. You can subscribe to it now aswell ... good stuff.

Peadar
12/12/2005, 8:46 AM
Wenger has shown that certain sucess can be obtained with a decent underage set up...

Arsenal have bought most of their young stars as opposed to actually bringing them through from their underage setup.

Ruairi
12/12/2005, 9:31 AM
There's definately quality in the under 21 set up, Admir Softic, Aidan Murray, Ray Lally, Shane Guthrie...

i'd expect more than one of them to make the breakthrough this season..

Éanna
12/12/2005, 12:43 PM
both. it has to be

Rebal Boy
12/12/2005, 7:53 PM
I really hope they sign a few players. I feel City need to bring in a new striker anyway, 1 midfielder & 1 defender.