PDA

View Full Version : eircom League Fanzines

pineapple stu
09/12/2005, 12:43 PM
What fanzines are knocking around the league at the moment?

Just saw Galway might be getting one for next season,

I heard someone say FourFiveOne (Cork) is no more? Not sure what to make of that - have a very nice niche and do a lot of work for the club.

STIG (UCD) had its 50th issue recently and is still going,

Red Inc (Shels) still going.

What about the other ones of recent years ...

Forza Drogs (Drogheda),
Blue Till I Die (Waterford),
Out on a Lim (Limerick),
One F In Longford (Longford),
Osam Is Doubtful (Pat's),
1984 (Bohs),
Down to the River (Harps),
The Tribal Bible (Galway)?

Are any still going (think a couple are), or what happened to them? How come the likes of Derry or Shamrock Rovers don't have a fanzine?

Drogman.
09/12/2005, 12:53 PM
Well I'll be starting work on ForzaDrogs 2006 shortly for the new season. I had to take a break this year due to other commitments.

Hopefully now seeing as we've won the cup a few more heads will appear at Utd Park so that I can get rid of more.

Is FourFiveOne gone? That's very surprising if its true.

Mr_T
09/12/2005, 12:58 PM
Down the the River has sadly been dormant for about 2 years now since one of its producers joined the board and the other fecked off and had a family with a Galway United fan!!!! There are I think aspirations to bring it back sometime, but no immediate plans.

I bought 451 both times I was in Cork this season so if its gone it must be a recent development.

T

pineapple stu
09/12/2005, 12:59 PM
The website is being revamped at the moment, so it looks like it's still going. Heard the rumour out in Longford and didn't see the fanzine when I was down in Cork (doesn't mean much in itself), but interested myself to confirm it as well.

coislaoi
09/12/2005, 1:19 PM
The website is being revamped at the moment, so it looks like it's still going. Heard the rumour out in Longford and didn't see the fanzine when I was down in Cork (doesn't mean much in itself), but interested myself to confirm it as well.

There was an issue for the last game of the season against Derry. I's be surprised if it finished up. There is also another fanzine - IWOTO (I Was Out There Once).

Colm
09/12/2005, 1:21 PM
and I heard someone say FourFiveOne is no more?

FourFiveOne is the longest running and most successful fanzine in the league, it's not gone anywhere.

pineapple stu
09/12/2005, 1:28 PM
Good to hear! Although it's not the longest running - Red Inc is (back to 1999-ish). STIG started up at the exact same time as FourFive One as well.

Drumcondra Red
09/12/2005, 1:41 PM
FourFiveOne is the longest running and most successful fanzine in the league, it's not gone anywhere.

My hole! I think you'll find that honour belongs to Red Inc.

What about that other one by the corkies i.w.t.o. or something like that???

NY Hoop
09/12/2005, 1:52 PM
How come the likes of Derry or Shamrock Rovers don't have a fanzine?

Simple answer is cos of the net. By the time you'd get to print something the rumour would have changed hundreds of times!!

The best fanzine was the excellent Glenmalure Gazette that ran from 89 to 91.

KOH

ThatGuy
09/12/2005, 2:15 PM
Fair play to people still doing fanzines, but in the age of the internet they are pretty much obsolete in my opinion.

ollie
09/12/2005, 2:32 PM
My hole! I think you'll find that honour belongs to Red Inc.

What about that other one by the corkies i.w.t.o. or something like that???

bought red inc at the last city game in tolka.wasn't too taken by it.judging by that issue i's say 451 is better and funnier.more images in it also.

IWOTO is the name of the other fanzine.its not bad.smaller than 451.

pineapple stu
09/12/2005, 2:34 PM
Fair play to people still doing fanzines, but in the age of the internet they are pretty much obsolete in my opinion.

I disagree entirely. First off, they don't have to just contain rumour, news and match reports - they can contain original humour and viewpoints. Very easy to create a niche for a fanzine. Secondly, the internet doesn't bring in any money (directly). Fanzines, on the other hand, do, and it usually goes directly to a Supporters' Club who can do a lot with the money. STIG bought UCD scarves and keyrings, funds away buses and other things which we wouldn't otherwise be able to afford.

Drogman.
09/12/2005, 3:31 PM

I'd diagree with that as well. The fanzine's that I sold to people at Utd Park were mainly people who didn't have access or didn't bother going on the internet for stuff like that.

I decided to make it in a way like a magazine, plenty of images, nice fonts, layout etc.. so that it looks good and also read able.

I remember getting the Longford fanzine, There's one F in Longford, and no offence to the lads who did it, but it was shockingly brutal! I mean it was not appealing at all and it was E2 as well for about 6 pages.

That's the sort of thing that doesn't last, while I still charge E1 for a 20 page publication and people appreciate that.

Drumcondra Red
09/12/2005, 3:35 PM
bought red inc at the last city game in tolka.wasn't too taken by it.judging by that issue i's say 451 is better and funnier.more images in it also.

IWOTO is the name of the other fanzine.its not bad.smaller than 451.

Well see the thing about Red Inc. is that its meant soley for Redmen, although I can see your point, we would have an entirely different view on this!!!

I got a copy of IWOTO last time at the X, it was ok but too anti shelbourne!!!

A face
09/12/2005, 3:36 PM

Beat me to it !!

Definitely the best out there by far compared to any of the others i have seen in the league.

Bald Student
09/12/2005, 4:18 PM
I remember getting the Longford fanzine, There's one F in Longford, and no offence to the lads who did it, but it was shockingly brutal! I mean it was not appealing at all and it was E2 as well for about 6 pages.What? One F is the only fanzine to feature a Leathanach Bán!

pete
09/12/2005, 5:31 PM
I got a copy of IWOTO last time at the X, it was ok but too anti shelbourne!!!

You weren't the target market ;)

Drumcondra Red
09/12/2005, 5:40 PM
Ah right, thanks Pete, I get confused sometimes as you well know!!!!!!

adamcarr
09/12/2005, 5:42 PM
it was ok but too anti shelbourne!!!

You can never be too anti-Shelbourne!:p

hamish
09/12/2005, 6:19 PM
Whatever happened to EMFA - Every Man A Football Artist? - got a few copies down in Kilkenny years and years ago but haven't heard anything lately.:confused:

Slash/ED
09/12/2005, 9:05 PM

97% of Cork facts are made up on the spot

monzo
09/12/2005, 9:51 PM
Down the the River has sadly been dormant for about 2 years now since one of its producers joined the board and the other fecked off and had a family with a Galway United fan!!!! There are I think aspirations to bring it back sometime, but no immediate plans.

I bought 451 both times I was in Cork this season so if its gone it must be a recent development.

T

Any chance of a few of us pennin down a few things and try and get one sorted for the start of the new season? We could get some of the travelling support to give us a few tales, and I'd be willing to occupy some stuff. Came aacross the old FBTN t'ther day and some of the articles from DTTR on it were class!

Dodge
10/12/2005, 1:34 PM
There people go again claimimng to be the most succesful without having a clue how many othrs sell... and 451 is **** now. Used to be alright but there's a complete lack of humour in it. complete. :rolleyes:

Of those still goig the UCD is probably best in terms of content with the drogs one loooking best (with 451 I'd say) Longford's is sporadic but has moments of genius in it and harps is very good too.

osamisdoubtful died as I haven't time to do it....

harpskid
10/12/2005, 1:50 PM
Any chance of a few of us pennin down a few things and try and get one sorted for the start of the new season? We could get some of the travelling support to give us a few tales, and I'd be willing to occupy some stuff. Came aacross the old FBTN t'ther day and some of the articles from DTTR on it were class!

Not just that simple though monzo. An awful amount of work goes into them and I dunno if the time could be found to keep producing one.

Mr A has a young family and has work and a college course to attend to, fbtn has a wane and is flat out wi the website.

I'd like to help out too, but college and the aul newspaper take up a lot of time, but ye never know. Mr A may decide to revive DTTR again.

Watch this space

A face
10/12/2005, 2:34 PM
I dunno if the time could be found to keep producing one.

This is where other people should then step forward and put in a bit of effort. That is what has happened with FourFiveOne and while the quality was down for a bit, it is brilliant now .... some great new ideas and good angles on it.
Obviously any fanzine will be good if it has 40-50 people regularly knocking out good quality articles. It is alot easier to put a fanzine together if you are spolit for choice articles wise. Even idea generation, if you think of something that might work, send it in and someone else might add on to it and you'll get something good.

monzo
11/12/2005, 12:55 PM
Sorry harpskid - perhaps I've been a bit selfish!

Mr A told me ages back - after me b*ggering him on about what the future of DTTR held - that he might arrange some sort of website for DTTR. nought materialised but won't hold against him since he's very busy all the time. I'd love to help out in finding ideas and such, but alas the aul exams are starting to kick in. When (no "if" about it) we're promoted it'd be a good idea to release wan for the new season (more people to sell it to)... perhaps then a wee revival. (more than a year away - so plenty of stuff can be written).

A face - that's the problem (afaik) in the last publication there was only 6 or 7 people.

Ah well, there's more important stuff in life than fanzine...

Mr A
11/12/2005, 1:55 PM
DTTR may return in website form at some stage in the coming months. I can only assume you meant to use the word badger in that last post!

DTTR is by no means dead, just taking a break.

A face
11/12/2005, 2:22 PM
A face - that's the problem (afaik) in the last publication there was only 6 or 7 people.

Even two or three would do just as long as there is a constant stream of articles/jokes/drawings/pics/ideas

A face
15/01/2006, 10:33 PM
Bump !!

Will people be getting the show on the road again this year ??
What is planned for 2006 ?

Its about time people started thinking about writing their articles, just a little reminder.

Student Mullet
16/01/2006, 12:15 AM
Bump !!

Will people be getting the show on the road again this year ??
What is planned for 2006 ?

Its about time people started thinking about writing their articles, just a little reminder.Way ahead of you. Check out our first article of the new season at www.stigonline.com/STIGi1.pdf

Dodge
16/01/2006, 12:46 AM
Osam is Doubtful might be making a comeback this year. We've more to complain about this time round...

A face
16/01/2006, 9:14 AM
Way ahead of you. Check out our first article of the new season at www.stigonline.com/STIGi1.pdf

Very good, an auld 'select text' job might be called for !! :eek:
Just kidding, fair play !!

ccfcman
16/01/2006, 9:30 AM
Definitely the best out there by far compared to any of the others i have seen in the league.

You're having a laugh right? Its about as inciteful as an empty bag of crisps, IWOTO is by far a better fanzine, both funny and intelligent.

A face
16/01/2006, 11:47 AM
You're having a laugh right? Its about as inciteful as an empty bag of crisps, IWOTO is by far a better fanzine, both funny and intelligent.

Its pure genius (http://www.iwoto.com/iwototeeshirts.htm) !! :p

Colm
16/01/2006, 12:05 PM
Its pure genius (http://www.iwoto.com/iwototeeshirts.htm) !! :p

Great t-shirt alright, pity about the fanzine though!!:D

BohDiddley
16/01/2006, 12:14 PM
Way ahead of you. Check out our first article of the new season at www.stigonline.com/STIGi1.pdf
I may have left my irony detector behind today: if so, apologies. But at first and even second glance that article seems on the level.
Is Genesis really that far off? :eek:
If so, it should be yelled from the rooftops.

Bald Student
16/01/2006, 6:46 PM
I may have left my irony detector behind today: if so, apologies. But at first and even second glance that article seems on the level.
Is Genesis really that far off? :eek:
If so, it should be yelled from the rooftops.Mullet is studying for a PhD in engineering so he's nothing if not careful of his numbers. He's referenced all his information and they seem correct.

John83
16/01/2006, 7:49 PM
Mullet is studying for a PhD in engineering so he's nothing if not careful of his numbers. He's referenced all his information and they seem correct.
Sure, but his beard hardly compairs with yours.

The STIG article is above board - not a **** take.

BohDiddley
17/01/2006, 9:15 AM
Have these figures been reported in the press? Are they new, or have they been knocking around a while?
Given the space devoted to Genesis, which does little but reinforce the usual dissing of EL football, it's important to get this correction into the media and into the debate -- especially when it comes to resource allocation and the off-the-top-of-the head, madcap notion of encouraging Dublin teams to groundshare.
Shouldn't the supporters' association issue a press release?
Sure if he has a PhD (almost) a love of figures and a big beard, it must be true! :p

Conor H
17/01/2006, 1:01 PM
....Is in the process of making the 1st issue of Tribal Digest!

Cosmo
17/01/2006, 1:15 PM

Just after reading it there - thats some difference in figures in the genesis report :confused:

John83
17/01/2006, 6:20 PM
Have these figures been reported in the press? Are they new, or have they been knocking around a while? No, they haven't, and yes, they were only published on stigonline.com a few days ago.

I would think the NLSA are a better candidate for releasing it than UCD's supporters.

pineapple stu
17/01/2006, 6:45 PM
Have these figures been reported in the press? Are they new, or have they been knocking around a while?
The article was only done up recently alright - last week or two. I think people just automatically assume that figures quoted like that are correct, even if Genesis quoted absolutely no source at all. Of course, if you stop and think, the figures have to be nonsense - 800,000 for Heineken Cup games? Sure there's only three of them for each province plus whatever knock-out games are had - say 15 games, or an average of 60,000 per game!!

With regards the NLSA, we've contacted Genesis with regards the second consultation process mentioned in their report. That doesn't exist, apparently - they've now handed the issue completely over to the FAI. We're looking at arranging discussions with other groups to at least get the supporters' voice heard. It's probable that the Report is old news now, but we're going to explore a few different avenues anyway (not just in relation to the Report).

BohDiddley
18/01/2006, 9:53 AM
I don't think it matters that much that Genesis has been around for a while. The report is deployed as gospel for every policy discussion about the development of domestic football, and this analysis/rebuttal of it is new. That's news.
If Genesis' figures are wrong, and if wrong conclusions about EL are being drawn from them, then I think the NLSA (that's who I meant originally) would be missing a huge opportunity if it didn't issue a press release to sports desks.
Question: has it been disclosed how much FAI paid Genesis for this report?

pineapple stu
18/01/2006, 5:55 PM
If Genesis' figures are wrong, and if wrong conclusions about EL are being drawn from them, then I think the NLSA (that's who I meant originally) would be missing a huge opportunity if it didn't issue a press release to sports desks.
Question: has it been disclosed how much FAI paid Genesis for this report?
On the latter, I don't know, but far too much. Complete waste of money.

The former is something we're looking at at the moment.