PDA

View Full Version : What is the craziest thing you've done for your club

Pages : [1] 2 3

fbtn
09/12/2005, 10:00 AM
I heard that one of the Drogheda fans that was in OZ, flew in from Sydney for the week of the cup final and back again. Fair play to him! I'm sure he isn't regretting it.

It reminded me of the Sligo fan that was based in England but hadn't missed a game in the Showgrounds for years, flying in every fortnight.

I know of a Harps fan that missed one of his finals at college to go to a playoff game and a Rovers fan that I know sold his car to go a Rovers away game in Europe and boycott outside the ground during the KRAM days!

Any other mad stories out there of eircom League fans doing mad sh!t for their club. I know there are loads of stories of Ireland fans re-mortgaging houses etc to go to World Cups.......leave them for again :D

Block G Raptor
09/12/2005, 10:03 AM
I heard that one of the Drogheda fans that was in OZ, flew in from Sydney for the week of the cup final and back again. Fair play to him! I'm sure he isn't regretting it.

It reminded me of the Sligo fan that was based in England but hadn't missed a game in the Showgrounds for years, flying in every fortnight.

I know of a Harps fan that missed one of his finals at college to go to a playoff game and a Rovers fan that I know sold his car to go a Rovers away game in Europe and boycott outside the ground during the KRAM days!

Any other mad stories out there of eircom League fans doing mad sh!t for their club. I know there are loads of stories of Ireland fans re-mortgaging houses etc to go to World Cups.......leave them for again :D

Elderly Gentleman drives up from tralee for every Bohs game

Cosmo
09/12/2005, 10:03 AM

A drogs supporter also came back from Dubai for the match on sunday - the same chap also came back from dubai to see us lift the Division one trophy in sligo a few years ago :eek:

Réiteoir
09/12/2005, 10:10 AM
iirc the Sligo fan from England passed away recently and left a tidy little sum of money to the club

MrJoeSoap
09/12/2005, 10:40 AM
I went straight from the airport after a month in the states and 48 hours without sleep to the home leg of the Split match last year, not a massive commitment compared to some of the stuff above but its my little contribution. Dave Rogers goal made every minute of the flight delay worth it.

harpskid
09/12/2005, 10:47 AM
Cobh away a couple a days before the leavin :eek: :ball:

I know a Harps fan that wanted out of his wane's christenin to see Harps in a playoff. The same bloke cancelled a holiday last year in Budapest to see Harps lift the league title...

Think you'd know him Rodney :D

Dodge
09/12/2005, 10:50 AM
I listened to all their bull**** for the past 17 years...

Drumcondra Red
09/12/2005, 10:53 AM
Had an assignment due in my final year of college, worth 20% of overall mark, wasn't coming on too healthy... due in the next day, I decieded Portadown away would make more sense!!! Does that count???

Gareth
09/12/2005, 11:00 AM
I spend extraordinary amounts of time running a website for mainly grief and stress as benefits :)

Ash
09/12/2005, 11:12 AM
I quit a job in Dublin once and went to college in Athlone
for a year cos I was sick of having to get the train home
on Fridays and missing the start of the matches.

gustavo
09/12/2005, 11:29 AM
http://www.sligorovers.com/news/news_reports/2004/20041115_markbrindley.htm

Dodge
09/12/2005, 12:12 PM
I was going out with a girl for a couple of months. Her birthday was April 30th but she was having a party on May 1st. This was in 1998 when Pats were going for the league. I went out out with her on the Thursady and she basically gave me an ultimatim. Its me or Pats.... Silly **** didn't know me at all...

Magicme
09/12/2005, 12:23 PM
I took my kids and my sister camping in Cobh for the weekend to see the Mons play back in May....Tent nearly blew away the friday nite coz there was such a storm and we ended up sleeping in the car...I know its not much but it was to see MONAGHAN UNITED play so give me some credit!!

fbtn
09/12/2005, 12:45 PM
I know a Harps fan that wanted out of his wane's christenin to see Harps in a playoff. The same bloke cancelled a holiday last year in Budapest to see Harps lift the league title...

Think you'd know him Rodney :D

Aye :p

I still worry that me wean will have no respect for me for bowing to the pressure of family and friends and missing the match. He's a 4 year old Harps nutter now! Just to clarify - I wouldn't have missed the actual ceremony. Car waiting for me and straight out the door to Flancare. Would have just missed the dinner etc.

Remember though, I did name him after the club :D

fbtn
09/12/2005, 12:49 PM
His name was Mark Brindley Used to finnish work on a friday and drive to the ferry sleep in his car get the crossing drive down and Stay the night Up early back to dublin get the crossing and arrive in the early hours over in England of Monday Morning ! A True Lengend and The trusts player of the year shield in named in his honour ! Only Travelled by Plane when he was very ill and was not able to drive

That's sad. Remember a Sligo fan at college telling me about him a few years ago. Fair play to the club for giving him the respect he deserved. RIP.

The bloke making the presentation to him in the pic on the site for the SC, Alan Kearins is a technician in Sligo IT isn't he? He was in one or two of my classes down there.

lofty9
09/12/2005, 12:52 PM
My mate took a £3000 pay cut to change jobs because his old one meant he had to work Thursday nights and he missed the home games. The next season Derry changed the home games to Friday!! Still in his poxy job.:D

Mr_T
09/12/2005, 1:05 PM
3 of us once went from Letterkenny to Cobh and back in the same day for a Div1 league game....in a 2 seater van.

I spend 3/4 of the journey laying in the back on a quilt.

Mr A
09/12/2005, 1:23 PM
3 of us once went from Letterkenny to Cobh and back in the same day for a Div1 league game....in a 2 seater van.

I spend 3/4 of the journey laying in the back on a quilt.

Lies! I spent more time than anyone in the back of that van!

I deferred a year in college because an exam clashed with the cup final replay against Bray.

ThatGuy
09/12/2005, 1:39 PM
I effectively signed Alex Nesovic for Bohs in 2001.

And that is a FACT!!!!

MrJoeSoap
09/12/2005, 1:40 PM

And that is a FACT!!!!

Go on...

NY Hoop
09/12/2005, 1:41 PM
Jesus fair play to that Sligo fan. RIP.

Great thread Rodney.

Two of us were skint after the Odra game cos we didnt think we'd go through! So with the Liberec game on the saturday and no flights arranged we suggested getting the bus. After the initial laughter we found out that it was gonna take 35 hours so we decided to go for it. Went to Busaras and asked and the guy says we had to leave that day (tuesday) cos the next few days were booked out. Legged it home and packed and next thing we're on the ferry with dozens of dipsos!

No words can describe how fcuked up we were when the bus eventually got into Prague but at least we had something to look forward to. It worked out well cos we had to time to rest and sightsee and check out the boozers before the main block of Rovers arrived. The journey home was twice as bad!

I had taken a career break from the current job to travel and ended up spending most of the 2.5 years in New York. For the Djurgardens games I flew back but then got back to find the job gone! Met Liam Buckley in a Stockholm bar and he couldn't get over anyone travelling that far for a game!

Came back for the Cup Final in 2002 for a week. Massively disappointing.

Lived in Cork from 94 to 96 and went to every Rovers game home and away.

Been home since 2003 got sick of planes!!

KOH

sligoman
09/12/2005, 1:44 PM
The bloke making the presentation to him in the pic on the site for the SC, Alan Kearins is a technician in Sligo IT isn't he? He was in one or two of my classes down there.He's also a member of this forum-akearins is his name on here;).

harpskid
09/12/2005, 2:02 PM

And that is a FACT!!!!

Do elaborate....:eek:

Battery Rover
10/12/2005, 11:13 AM
I take holidays every Friday when Athlone are playing as I commute to work and would miss the start of games. Herself isn't happy that I use 10 days holidays a year for this but I am sure she will get over it eventually.

I believe we have 2 supporters from Tyrone that travel down to Mels every second week and take in the away games

Dodge
10/12/2005, 1:28 PM
Oh yeah. I'm responsible for Pats signing Mbabazi and Ndo too. Forgot about that

A face
10/12/2005, 1:42 PM
Two of us were skint after the Odra game cos we didnt think we'd go through!

That was the same for aload of the lads aswell ... what they were doing was putting €50-€100 down on City to win in the first legs, etc. and raising the cash that way for the next round. Probably the best way to do it.

Maz
10/12/2005, 1:43 PM
I went to Liechtenstein, after we were told my gran would not live the week out, as it turns out I made the right decision, she is still around today!! :)

Mental Man
10/12/2005, 4:09 PM
There was a naked fire drill done by us up at a game up in derry last year,it was the game in which the lights went out while we were beating derry, we stayed in a hotel in a staunchly loyalist part of derry, while just outside the door a fella got his 2 kneecaps blown off him in a loyalist feud, kinda funny actually.
1 of the lads pressed the fire button at 4am in the morning and to see the expression on the girl at the desk when all the lads was running past her in their jocks etc.. was amusing to say the least :D .
The things you do for your club :D .

Martinho II
10/12/2005, 5:37 PM
i for one have done some mad stupid things for my club at sufficient expense for myself#

when i was in college up in Dublin da town were playin pats on a saturday night and i was stayin up that weekend! i really wanted to go the game so the only way for me to go was to go on the pats bus down to the game and back!

the slagging on the bus was soemthing else it didnt take the pats guys too long to cop on that i was a town supporter. AND GUESS WHAT we lost 3-0. dec 00 i reckon when i did that.

Raheny Red
10/12/2005, 5:42 PM
Mental Man wrote:

There was a naked fire drill done by us up at a game up in derry last year,it was the game in which the lights went out while we were beating derry, we stayed in a hotel in a staunchly loyalist part of derry, while just outside the door a fella got his 2 kneecaps blown off him in a loyalist feud, kinda funny actually.
1 of the lads pressed the fire button at 4am in the morning and to see the expression on the girl at the desk when all the lads was running past her in their jocks etc.. was amusing to say the least .
The things you do for your club .

How is that a thing that you would do for your club???:confused: :confused: :confused:

Mental Man wrote:

while just outside the door a fella got his 2 kneecaps blown off him in a loyalist feud, kinda funny actually.

As your name suggests you actually are a bit mental, man!!

Red4Eva
10/12/2005, 11:13 PM
i think going to away games in st.mel's deserves some sort of award.

left an exam after doin about a half a question so i cud get a bus back home to see rovers beat galway 3-2 in the league cup

dfx-
11/12/2005, 2:13 AM
On the face of it, *invest* in them would be up there..........

Funny how the craziest can be the most rewarding, isn't it?

MariborKev
11/12/2005, 11:30 AM
I was supposed to go to a presentation for a scholarship and €1,000 prize in Dublin, but forfeited it to go home to the Brandywell for a Derry v Shels game

headtheball
11/12/2005, 11:36 AM
I was supposed to go to a presentation for a scholarship and €1,000 prize in Dublin, but forfeited it to go home to the Brandywell for a Derry v Shels game

Good man Kev,
true commitment.Did we win that game?

A face
11/12/2005, 4:18 PM

Did you get the money later on ??

Poor Student
11/12/2005, 5:55 PM
I went to Bray.:D

sligoman
11/12/2005, 10:08 PM
Did you get the money later on ??Was thinking this too, I presume he did, if not then, fair fecks to ya:D.

babydol
11/12/2005, 10:22 PM
was 9 months pregnant with my son - to the day. about 6 o clock told my parents I was off to Drogheda for the match! They were a bit shocked but off i went. that was a friday night.

Eventually had baby the followin tuesday, discharged myself from the hospital on thursday and was sittin in tolka the followin day!! met one of the players in the bar afterwards and he gave me a jersey signed by the whole team for my son. Six weeks later he was christened in it!!

MariborKev
11/12/2005, 10:50 PM
Did you get the money later on ??

Nope:eek:

Was supposed to get it the next year, but I left the university between times.

A face
11/12/2005, 11:30 PM
Nope:eek:

Was supposed to get it the next year, but I left the university between times.

Jebus H ... for the feicing cause ... fair play to ya fella !!

Éanna
12/12/2005, 1:05 PM
Quit a job because they wouldn't give me time off to go to the away game against Lausanne a few years ago. Oh and the trip to Metalurgs in the intertoto a few years back- overland to Latvia in 3 days.

Maz
12/12/2005, 1:09 PM
was 9 months pregnant with my son - to the day. about 6 o clock told my parents I was off to Drogheda for the match! They were a bit shocked but off i went. that was a friday night.

Eventually had baby the followin tuesday, discharged myself from the hospital on thursday and was sittin in tolka the followin day!! met one of the players in the bar afterwards and he gave me a jersey signed by the whole team for my son. Six weeks later he was christened in it!!
Babydol wins it for me, good on ya girl!

harpskid
12/12/2005, 1:28 PM
There was a Harps fan, who for the past 50 years used to cycle from Drumkeen to Ballybofey every night Harps were playing in Finn Park.

Cycled nearly 20 miles to the games, no matter what the weather was like.

Sadly, Hughie Mc Gee was killed while out walking shortly after we claimed the First Division title last year,

Fittingly, that game when we won the league was his last appearance at Finn Park, and also on that night he was presented with the Supporter Of The Year award.

Mr A
12/12/2005, 1:48 PM
I meant to post about Hughie on here before- but of course despite the fact he was over 80 he didn't consider cycling that distance on dark and dangerous roads in all weathers Hughie didn't consider what he did in the least crazy. When asked about it in a local paper he just said- "Sure what else would I be doing?" He also once cycled in 24 hours early once having forgotten that our games had returned from Friday to Saturday nights, so without complaint he just cycled home and made the same trip the next night again.

He is sadly missed.

Peadar
12/12/2005, 1:52 PM
I paid €15 into Belfield, that's fukking crazy if you ask me!

Maz
12/12/2005, 1:55 PM
Did you not ask for a student ticket? God loves a trier

Block G Raptor
12/12/2005, 1:55 PM

Totally Agree
no facilities no bar sh!t stand how can they justify it

hamish
12/12/2005, 2:43 PM

RESPECT babydol, respect.

Now, there is a REAL football person.:) ;)

Lim till i die
12/12/2005, 4:30 PM
Monaghan and back, on a Sunday, in the driving rain.

Also spent a day in Dundalk :eek:

Do i Win? :p

Peadar
12/12/2005, 4:32 PM
Also spent a day in Dundalk :eek:

Do i Win? :p

Did you give birth two days before?
If not, then the answers no! :p