Pages : [1] 2 3

Raheny Red
08/12/2005, 9:39 PM
From the Shels web originally posted by Fintan C;

http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=207

Risteard
08/12/2005, 11:04 PM
"believed to be a multiple of previous eircom league transfer record fees"
So thats a minimum quarter of a million?

I know he's got doubters but i rate him very high.
And if you're a scout hearing about good talent coming out of Ireland, you're gonna look at any youngish striker who is topping the scoring charts year in, year out and think you have the best of the bunch.

A face
08/12/2005, 11:37 PM
think you have the best of the bunch.

Its so damn crazy, it just might work !! :p

RedX
09/12/2005, 1:38 AM
Byrne would be a massive loss for Shels...i have to say i like this guy as well...it would be great to have seen him play for City but obviousy we could not afford the type of money these clubs offer...tough decision for the guy but i think if Shels get offered the right cash it sounds like they will take it..then again who would'nt in this league...

sfc red
09/12/2005, 1:42 AM
Fair play though for rejecting the initial offer

RedX
09/12/2005, 1:48 AM
Fair play though for rejecting the initial offer

Absolutely...but the first offer is usually rejected because the bidders will obviously start on there lowest offer and Shels know this...i think it would be dissapointing to see the league lose one of its best players if he moves but thats football..players come and go...

Kingdom
09/12/2005, 7:20 AM
Two clubs naemd on TV3 there, Lyn Oslo and Djurgardens. The Djurgardens move would be interesting, perhaps a slight step up in quality, but the Lyn Oslo move wouldn't be worthwhile in my opinion. Realistically, this move(if it goes through) should be a starting point for future high-profile transfers. Proper fees for proper players.

Tenderloins
09/12/2005, 8:53 AM
Interesting if this will spark interest from other clubs also. Shels should hold out for more money. They are in a lucky position too of having Geln Crowe and Gary O'Neill already there, so there isn't the same urgency in replacing Byrne should he go. Again who would they sign as a replacement? Kevin McHugh? or bring someone home from England?
Although one went to Spain and the other Belguim, the leagues top strikers in the 80's, ALan Campbell and Liam Buckley both went to the continent rather than England to further their careers. I suppose Eammon Zayeds trip to Norway could be counted among this too.

bigmac
09/12/2005, 8:55 AM
Lyn would be a step up in quality alright, they were third in the league here this year, only two points off the top. Definitely he'd be on more money here than in Ireland, but i'm not sure what sort of transfer fee is being discussed. wouldn't have thought a Norwegian team would splash out to any great extente - they usually try to bring younger players through.

eirebhoy
09/12/2005, 9:36 AM
I believe if a team can afford to double or treble the initial record than it must be a step up in quality.

Look what you've started Mr. Doyle!

If Byrne goes and becomes a big success the likes of Hoolahan and O'Callaghan are next imo.

superfrank
09/12/2005, 9:46 AM
I suppose Eammon Zayeds trip to Norway could be counted among this too.
He didn't play much for a team that got relegated, I think. Overall, IMHO, he didn't make mush of an impact. He'll be playing for us next season.

Réiteoir
09/12/2005, 10:01 AM
have to laugh at Lyn's approach there. :D

Minnow club in Oslo - thinking they can actually challenge anyone to the title.

They think they're a professional club - this coming from a bunch of amateurs who couldn't handle the Jon Obi Mikel saga properly.

They make many eircom League clubs look like organised outfits ffs :D

If he wants to sign for a decent Norwegian side - try IK Start or Vålerenga

Dricky
09/12/2005, 10:12 AM
22 goals not a bother to him, can't stand him but can't take from him that he is a goal getter. huge loss to Shels if he goes as Crowe is past it.

Why sell him, money.

superfrank
09/12/2005, 10:20 AM
22 goals not a bother to him, can't stand him but can't take from him that he is a goal getter. huge loss to Shels if he goes as Crowe is past it.

Why sell him, money.
Crowe's hardly past it.

bigmac
09/12/2005, 10:25 AM
have to laugh at Lyn's approach there. :D

Minnow club in Oslo - thinking they can actually challenge anyone to the title.

They think they're a professional club - this coming from a bunch of amateurs who couldn't handle the Jon Obi Mikel saga properly.

They make many eircom League clubs look like organised outfits ffs :D

If he wants to sign for a decent Norwegian side - try IK Start or Vålerenga

Start only got promoted last year! You try organising the Mikel saga where he has 3 or 4 "advisors" who are more interested in what they can get out of it than what's best for the kid.
Anyway, Byrne's not going looking for a club in Norway, Shels are hardly going to tout him around the whole league are they? Fact is that Lyn were third in a pretty competitive league and will have Uefa cup football next year. They play in a 25,000 capacity stadium and just beat Gothenburg in the Scandinavian competition.
Amateur?? :rolleyes: Give me a break

Réiteoir
09/12/2005, 10:31 AM
Start only got promoted last year! You try organising the Mikel saga where he has 3 or 4 "advisors" who are more interested in what they can get out of it than what's best for the kid.
Anyway, Byrne's not going looking for a club in Norway, Shels are hardly going to tout him around the whole league are they? Fact is that Lyn were third in a pretty competitive league and will have Uefa cup football next year. They play in a 25,000 capacity stadium and just beat Gothenburg in the Scandinavian competition.
Amateur?? :rolleyes: Give me a break

But they'll always be in the shadow of the proper Oslo club.

Start have the backing and cash though - as well as a very good manager in Nordlie.

pete
09/12/2005, 10:36 AM
The standrad of living in Norway is very high so their Kroners will go far even in Ireland.

Réiteoir
09/12/2005, 10:39 AM
except that the beer is cheaper in Norway :D

Drumcondra Red
09/12/2005, 10:57 AM
Crowe is past it.

Are you having a laugh??? :confused:

Slash/ED
09/12/2005, 11:31 AM
Depends on the money. I'll be fuming if it's another case of the utter "we wont stand in his way sure just take him" el nonsense. Credit where it's due though, that doesn't seem to be the case.

IF we get a good deal for him and he does go then O'Neill and Crowe if we don't spend the money on a replacement will still be as good a strike force as you'll find in the league, both were bang in form at the last series of matches. Will be absolutley gutted to see Jayo leave though no matter what the price is, he is absolute quality.

rerun
09/12/2005, 11:33 AM
except that the beer is cheaper in Norway :D
I hate to break it to you, but no it isn't, it's nearly double!

bigmac
09/12/2005, 12:33 PM

nearly? I wish it was only "nearly" double! I think he was having a bit of a laugh though. 8 euro for a pint of guinness here.

Roo69
09/12/2005, 12:34 PM

Price of stuff over there is savage, 4 vodka and 2 redbull nearly €35 ! McDonalds big mac meal bout €12/€13 ! not cheap what so ever

Réiteoir
09/12/2005, 12:52 PM

Meant to be a cutting joke on the price of beer in Dublin :D

Been to Norway every year since 1998 - managed to get them down to 35kr (about €5) a pint

bigmac
09/12/2005, 1:18 PM

Been to Norway every year since 1998 - managed to get them down to 35kr (about €5) a pint

That's cheap - is it in Oslo? I found a student place that does beer for 28 - anyone can go there, but it's only open on Fridays.

dcfcsteve
09/12/2005, 5:14 PM
Two clubs naemd on TV3 there, Lyn Oslo and Djurgardens. The Djurgardens move would be interesting, perhaps a slight step up in quality, but the Lyn Oslo move wouldn't be worthwhile in my opinion. Realistically, this move(if it goes through) should be a starting point for future high-profile transfers. Proper fees for proper players.

Great to see offers being knocked-back, and talk of much bigger sums being required. Probably a lot of posturing involved there, but good to have it publically said any way.

Kingdom - I'm not sure Djurgardens would be that different in terms of quality. Cork put them out of Europe this year, let's not forget - as they also did to Malmo the year before. Doesn't suggest the Swedish league is ANY greater in quality...

harry crumb
09/12/2005, 5:24 PM
I would say that they have more strength in depth and also better infrastructures.

geysir
09/12/2005, 6:36 PM
In 1983 Shamrock Rovers got £50,000 for Jim Beglin. I'd say that is easily worth at least €1/2m in present day transfer fee standards.

dublinwanderer
09/12/2005, 6:42 PM
bray would receive nearly half of what shels would get, due to a sell on clause put into the deal when bray sold him to shels. bray also got money from shels when jayo played for 5 mins for ireland - another clause!!!!!

rerun
09/12/2005, 8:56 PM

Travelled to Tromso in June this year. Saw TIL v Lyn, thougt pretty much any side in our top 4 would have easily turned either side over.

sullanefc
10/12/2005, 11:17 AM
Crowe's hardly past it.

Yes he is

Réiteoir
10/12/2005, 1:14 PM
Travelled to Tromso in June this year. Saw TIL v Lyn, thougt pretty much any side in our top 4 would have easily turned either side over.

I don't think so - both Start and Valerenga would beat an eL side easily - as would Rosenborg (as they have proved twice)

MrJoeSoap
10/12/2005, 1:40 PM
Rosenborg didn't beat Shels easily, it was a lot closer than the scoreline (4-2agg) might suggest. They are (or were? they seem to be struggling domestically at the moment iirc) obviously a whole level above Shels.

I don't know too much about the rest of the league so I'm not in a position to make judgement on its standard. They obviously have plenty of money though!

eirebhoy
11/12/2005, 11:52 AM
Byrne Djurgården deal to be sealed next week (http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?id=15678&mainheading=Eircom&viewstory=yes)

Swedish daily Aftonbladet has this evening picked up the Jason Byrne story, more than 24 hours after it first appeared on soccercentral.

The country's biggest evening newspaper is today reporting that Djurgårdens IF have placed a bid of 4 million Swedish Crowns (approximately €417 000) for the Shelbourne striker, whom they see as an ideal replacement for Danish forward Sören Larsen, who moved to Schalke04 in the middle of Djurgården's double-winning season.

According to Aftonbladet, Byrne came to their atttention when representatives from the club went to Ireland to study a different player, and the deal will be completed some time in the next week.

Djurgården have in recent years met both Shamrock Rovers and Cork City FC on their European travels, knocking Rovers out of the UEFA Cup but succumbing to Cork this season in the same competition on away goals, having failed to score at Turner's Cross.

Should Byrne sign for the Swedish champions, he can look forward to playing with Tobias Hysen, son of former Liverpool defender Glenn Hysen. Tobias, who had been linked with Anderlecht and Rangers, signed a contract on Friday afternoon which will keep him at the club until 2008.

When asked about Byrne's possible transfer at the launch of the new Adidas World Cup ball this morning, prospective new teammates Pa Dembo Touray and Toni Kuivasto preferred not to comment.

Djurgården play their last match of the season this coming Tuesday against Danish opponents Aalborg in the Royal League, a competition which pits the best teams from Norway, Sweden and Denmark against one another.

A face
11/12/2005, 12:06 PM
Djurgårdens IF have placed a bid of 4 million Swedish Crowns (approximately €417 000) for the Shelbourne striker

Is it worth it ..... i think not, the leagues top scorer for how many years, should be alot more imo !!

sligoman
11/12/2005, 12:15 PM
Is it worth it ..... i think not, the leagues top scorer for how many years, should be alot more imo !!With the price our players seem to go for, that is a good deal.

A face
11/12/2005, 12:21 PM
With the price our players seem to go for, that is a good deal.

Just because we've been robbed before doesn't make it any better, it does get any sweeter with time or anything. Its complete robbery imo ..... how much would a player like Byrne playing in English league get ?? No where near something like that figure i'd be guessing.

sligoman
11/12/2005, 12:23 PM
Just because we've been robbed before doesn't make it any better, it does get any sweeter with time or anything. Its complete robbery imo ..... how much would a player like Byrne playing in English league get ?? No where near something like that figure i'd be guessing.I totally agree, but what I'm saying is that a figure like that is very good considering what EL team's would normally get for a player. It's not fair but that's just the way it's happening unfortunately:(.

Raheny Red
11/12/2005, 1:19 PM
From the Reds Independent site;

Swedish newspaper Expressen always has the best inside info about Djurgården. Here is what they say:

http://expressen.se/index.jsp?a=486154

In short: Some comments from Pat Fenlon
"We are aware of the interest and Jason is tempted"
"Djurgården has been over to watch Jason quite a few times. Jason himself has declared he is ready to play in Sweden"
"More negotiations next week".

Expressen also say Byrne is coming to Stockholm next week, I would not be surprised if it would be on tuesday when we play our finishing Royal league game.
Other rumours now is that Lyn is NOT up for the deal anymore, the price is 450 000 Euro.

Because of swedish taxes Byrne will probably get an enormous sign-on fee, 200 000-400 000 Euro, for sign-on there is almost no tax, to keep the monthly salary lower where the taxes are higher.

As a comparison swedish international Mattias Jonson gets around 900 000 for three years with DIF. 600 000 of those was a sign-on bonus. Since Jason is no international I think he will get around 600 000 for three years, probably with 2/3 of that as a sign-on fee.

Finally I say Jason would be really well served playing as center in DIF. We play 4-3-3 and Mattias Jonson is our right wing, Tobias Hysén the left wing and they are some of the few domestic players in the national team. The class of the crosses these players provide is very high. The center also gets help from behind, the offensive midfielder is the finnish international and former Liverpool player Daniel Sjölund. So if Jason is looking for an international call-up he will be backed by three internationals in DIF. And play against some of his new team-mates when Ireland play Sweden on march 1st.

James
11/12/2005, 1:47 PM
if the deal goes ahead will we then see jason byrne called up into the full irish squad too like kevin doyle, suddenly he'll be international class i suppose

Slash/ED
11/12/2005, 2:21 PM
if the deal goes ahead will we then see jason byrne called up into the full irish squad too like kevin doyle, suddenly he'll be international class i suppose

Yeah funny how that happens :rolleyes:

Looks like he's going then. I think at 450,000 they've got themselves one hell of a bargain. I suppose one thing keeping the price down is he's nearly 27 so they wont get much resale value for him. I hope we've added some clauses such as international calls ups and the likes on top of that.

Be funny if they met Cork in europe again though :D

A face
11/12/2005, 2:49 PM
Be funny if they met Cork in europe again though :D

Or even Shels some other year, how long is he signing for ??

Slash/ED
11/12/2005, 2:51 PM
Or even Shels some other year, how long is he signing for ??

Well it seems he hasn't discussed terms with them yet so I've no idea. I'd imagine 3 years minimum to start with.

A face
11/12/2005, 3:07 PM
Well it seems he hasn't discussed terms with them yet so I've no idea. I'd imagine 3 years minimum to start with.

He'll be nearly 30 so when he is finished there. Where will the eircom League be in three years ??

Vitruvian Man
11/12/2005, 3:22 PM
I reckon the EL will be exactly where it is now.

This is a great move for the Troglodyte should he take it. With his inevitable call up to the national squad and if he cuts the mustard in Sweden his career could blossom into something very lucrative for him.

And even if it doesn't work out the EL will always be there for him as a safety net. Even at 30 clubs will queue to sign him if he wants to come back.

A face
11/12/2005, 4:12 PM
This is a great move for the Troglodyte should he take it.

I think any move for the guy is good considering the way he walks, troglodyte is right !! :p

Only kidding ... should have got more though.

hoopy
11/12/2005, 7:41 PM

That usually happens but in all honesty Cork are a better side than Djurgardens so how can an international manager see it as a step up?

pete
11/12/2005, 7:41 PM
I predict Cork City v Djungardens in CL 2nd qualifying round.

Swedes not a force in europe anymore. Not had team in CL group stages for years.

I think €450k would be reasonable business as would raise the profile of the league & be interesting to see an irish player playing outside the UK.

A face
11/12/2005, 9:02 PM
how can an international manager see it as a step up?

Easy .... The Swedish league is not Irish !!

eirebhoy
11/12/2005, 9:43 PM
In fairness, very few people were calling for Doyle to be called up for the China friendly back in March (Ireland's last match during Doyle's time in the EL). I did a search on another forum a few days ago and I was one of 2 people to predict Doyle getting the EL top scorer in a thread back in February.