PDA

View Full Version : Connacht Soccer

Ron Bergundy
08/12/2005, 2:53 PM
who at the moment has the strongest leagues in connacht???,results the weekend in the conn cup make me believe galway and sligo teams are in a different class to mayo teams at the moment with the exception of maybe Westport Utd of Mayo,thoughts???

swinfordfc
08/12/2005, 3:38 PM
who at the moment has the strongest leagues in connacht???,results the weekend in the conn cup make me believe galway and sligo teams are in a different class to mayo teams at the moment with the exception of maybe Westport Utd of Mayo,thoughts???

Maybe they are at the moment cause the mayo league has finish for a few months now while galway and sligo teams are in the middle of they season think about that for a minute!!!!! :cool:

The Don
08/12/2005, 3:43 PM
I get to see matchs in all three counties and the standard amongest the top teams is of a par. Dont forget the top teams in roscommon are well capable of competing with the rest.

juan pablo
08/12/2005, 4:43 PM
i agree with swindfordfc, our league in mayo has finished and i think their is alot of talent in mayo,and i think mayo soccer is getting bigger and bigger every season.
regarding the mayo league, i hear that Cross Celtic are entering a new team into the league.
Comments??

Ron Bergundy
08/12/2005, 4:45 PM
Maybe they are at the moment cause the mayo league has finish for a few months now while galway and sligo teams are in the middle of they season think about that for a minute!!!!! :cool:
I know that but couldn't believe when i saw all the mayo teams knocked out of the connacht cup the weekend,would we be more competitive if we played along through the winter???whats happened castlebar celtic?hearing loads of stories about there transfer activity?!?!this movn in and out of players thats goin on can't be helping them right?

Ron Bergundy
08/12/2005, 4:48 PM
i agree with swindfordfc, our league in mayo has finished and i think their is alot of talent in mayo,and i think mayo soccer is getting bigger and bigger every season.
regarding the mayo league, i hear that Cross Celtic are entering a new team into the league.
Comments??
totally agree with you juan pablo,incredible talent in mayo but its not showing on the club scene,not enough real quality teams reaching latter stages!!!ya hear cross celtic starting up but not for this thread mate

Ron Bergundy
08/12/2005, 5:06 PM
any thoughts from our teams in Galway,Sligo and Roscommon???who will win the connacht cup this year???and have we got any descent representatives to bring the F.A.I Junior cup home again???

The Don
09/12/2005, 8:24 AM
I would go for abbey to win it.

swinfordfc
09/12/2005, 9:24 AM
any thoughts from our teams in Galway,Sligo and Roscommon???who will win the connacht cup this year???and have we got any descent representatives to bring the F.A.I Junior cup home again???

They is great talent in all the above county just as they is in Mayo, Corrib Rangers are a fine team and whoever wins between them and Westport would be favourite to win FAI Junior Cup in my eyes. Corrib Rangers will win Connacht Cup this year but Abbey United, Glenview Stars or Castlebar Celtic will go close.

Mayo went to summer footbal to improve the all round game a few years ago and in my eyes it has proof is westport winning FAI Junior Cup last year. Erris United winning FAI Youths Cup two years ago.

swinfordfc
09/12/2005, 9:25 AM
Comments??

Cross Celtic as the village beside Cong, congrats to them welcome on board.

Ron Bergundy
09/12/2005, 2:48 PM
They is great talent in all the above county just as they is in Mayo, Corrib Rangers are a fine team and whoever wins between them and Westport would be favourite to win FAI Junior Cup in my eyes. Corrib Rangers will win Connacht Cup this year but Abbey United, Glenview Stars or Castlebar Celtic will go close.

Mayo went to summer footbal to improve the all round game a few years ago and in my eyes it has proof is westport winning FAI Junior Cup last year. Erris United winning FAI Youths Cup two years ago.
can see Westport beating corrib on sunday as long as they get to play their football down there but can't see them defending their crown!has any team won back to back F.A.I Cup titles???fancy Abbey Utd at the moment for F.A.I but still very early!Corrib rangers alright for the connacht cup best bet!!!best of luck to our mayo teams playing the weekend

Ron Bergundy
09/12/2005, 6:37 PM
The big game everyones looking forward to Corrib Vs Westport!hows it going to go???Westport to avenge their defeat last week or Corrib to dash Mayos real hope of national silverware???

renovater
10/12/2005, 7:51 PM
Well there is an old saying once bitten twice shy,
And I mean Westport won’t be shy. There record to date reads that they have only been beaten once by any team the teams they lost to were Ballyheane Away Castlebar Celtic at home in the league. Snugboro away in the cup with a weaken team. Corrib Rangers in the Conn Cup last week. So if Corrib were to do the double they would in fact be the first over the last two seasons. Which I serious doubt. There management structure won’t allow failure they will be remind the players of the defeat last time out, they will be up for it because they will be defending there Crown Come on the Coveys
:cool:

swinfordfc
12/12/2005, 9:19 AM
The big game everyones looking forward to Corrib Vs Westport!hows it going to go???Westport to avenge their defeat last week or Corrib to dash Mayos real hope of national silverware???

Well great game i heard but Westport through at the end of it, ph by the way we have three teams in last 32, and cracker of a game next week manulla v athenry in cup but fancy athenry in this one :D

gnasher
12/12/2005, 10:23 AM
can see Westport beating corrib on sunday as long as they get to play their football down there but can't see them defending their crown!has any team won back to back F.A.I Cup titles???fancy Abbey Utd at the moment for F.A.I but still very early!Corrib rangers alright for the connacht cup best bet!!!best of luck to our mayo teams playing the weekend

From looking at the mount for the cup Ron a few teams have done it. The Mighty Fairview won it six times in seven years in the late nineties. Two trebles! separated by a year when they did not win it. Some achievement.

Ron Bergundy
12/12/2005, 12:41 PM
From looking at the mount for the cup Ron a few teams have done it. The Mighty Fairview won it six times in seven years in the late nineties. Two trebles! separated by a year when they did not win it. Some achievement.
whoa!some achievement from the mighty fairview boys for a cup that has over a thousand teams competing in it today!great day yesterday for Mayo teams and well done to our two big guns Westport Utd and Castlebar Celtic getting past their opponents and also to a depleted but very determined Ballyheane side that also made it through!heres hoping a Manulla victory over top Galway team Athenry the weekend???anyone know when the draw on to find out Westports,Castlebars and Ballyheanes opposition in the next round???

Ron Bergundy
12/12/2005, 12:47 PM
I would go for abbey to win it.
is it true Abbey utd at home beaten by ballymun utd?????

gnasher
12/12/2005, 1:13 PM
Ballymun beat Abbey 2 - 1 in Sligo. Did'nt hear any reports, say it was a good game.

The draw for the next round of the Junior Cup is to be made live on Today FM on Sunday the 18th on the Sports Bag show.

The Don
12/12/2005, 1:27 PM
is it true Abbey utd at home beaten by ballymun utd?????
Win the Conn cup, not fai.

Spongey
12/12/2005, 1:53 PM
Ballymun beat Abbey 2 - 1 in Sligo. Did'nt hear any reports, say it was a good game.

The draw for the next round of the Junior Cup is to be made live on Today FM on Sunday the 18th on the Sports Bag show.

Wasnt a great game, neither keeper forced to make a meaningful save. Good start by abbey rewarded by a well taken goal from Lee Marshall. After that Ballymun got a hold of the game and deserved the win.

swinfordfc
12/12/2005, 2:43 PM

Nearly right sports bag in on 2fm gnasher! :D

gnasher
12/12/2005, 6:11 PM
Nearly right sports bag in on 2fm gnasher! :D

DOH!
We don't get it downin the dungeons where I'm chained, we have a PC though!

gotribe
12/12/2005, 6:39 PM
well lads, im new to this foot.ie, cant believe i never noticed it before, so what are ye're predictions for the connacht cup, have westport united got in in them to go ahead and win it??

Ron Bergundy
12/12/2005, 7:42 PM
well lads, im new to this foot.ie, cant believe i never noticed it before, so what are ye're predictions for the connacht cup, have westport united got in in them to go ahead and win it??
Dunno if you being smart or maybe due to the fact that your not up to date with your connacht cup results but Westport United were eliminated by Corrib Rangers sunday week ago in the connacht cup but the Westport lads were not too dissapointed as really this was their warm up game for their main clash against the same opposition again Corrib in the F.A.I Cup which took place yesterday and Westport defeated them marching on in their quest to achieve the success they enjoyed last year in winning out the competition!Best of luck to castlebar the weekend and manulla who face a tricky tie against Athenry,heres hopn a shock mossy victory!

biffo
13/12/2005, 7:23 AM
Surely Galway yeams are at an advantage to playing Connacht and fai cup games at this time of year as they are in the middle of their season. the muudy pitches are not condusive to the mayo style of summer soccer play. highly unfair

gnasher
13/12/2005, 9:38 AM
Surely Galway yeams are at an advantage to playing Connacht and fai cup games at this time of year as they are in the middle of their season. the muudy pitches are not condusive to the mayo style of summer soccer play. highly unfair

Are you Gnasher in disguise?

biffo
13/12/2005, 12:48 PM
Are you Gnasher in disguise?

maybe mayo should revert back to winter soccer, would give players who play gaa also the chance to play both codes

The Don
13/12/2005, 1:10 PM
Hope that was a tongue in cheek comment!

biffo
15/12/2005, 12:44 PM
Totally serious

red metal
04/01/2006, 6:23 PM
Next two week,s should tell with abbey.They have a great squad of players.They just need to get the heads down and stick yo the task.When they are on song there is no better team in the Country.They have been knocking on the door the last two season,s now.So hopefully with the two shannon,s and mckenna and jonh gaffney.They can take that extra step.They have carbury in the next round at home.Who are pushing them hard in the super league this season.Abbey have beaten them 4-0 allready this season but that stands for **** in the cup.

Ron Bergundy
10/01/2006, 7:50 PM
Ya Abbey to easily advance past Carbury,no doubts there!:D

Ron Bergundy
11/01/2006, 8:05 PM
Does anybody know why the Mayo league starts it season during the summer and is over before the Connacht cup and F.A.I cup even start???what year did this start and what were the reasons behind it?doesn't it seem a little daft when the likes of the galway league are playing in the middle of their league campaigns when they get to play their Conn and F.A.I cup games!!!most Mayo teams this year playing in these competitions had finished their own league campaigns 4 to 6 weeks beforehand!!!difficult for some Mayo teams to even get their players interested in big cup games if there not even playing or training at all!!!!!!

renovater
11/01/2006, 9:16 PM
Does anybody know why the Mayo league starts it season during the summer and is over before the Connacht cup and F.A.I cup even start???what year did this start and what were the reasons behind it?doesn't it seem a little daft when the likes of the galway league are playing in the middle of their league campaigns when they get to play their Conn and F.A.I cup games!!!most Mayo teams this year playing in these competitions had finished their own league campaigns 4 to 6 weeks beforehand!!!difficult for some Mayo teams to even get their players interested in big cup games if there not even playing or training at all!!!!!!

well i think summer football is 10yrs or so been played in mayo
it has its advantages good pitches no postponements other side playing out of season in external competitions u-21 all year round
i think when Mayo started it. it was hope others would follow but thats a non starter.except the Eircom League
Do you think the U-21 league would be better if it was run in winter?
Do you think you would have junior league playing?:D

red metal
07/02/2006, 7:03 PM
It,s just a pity we didnt have the Shannons and Mckenna and Gaffney for that game!Ballymun where there for the taking!I think if Abbey can keep there current squad together for next season! then with a bit of luck they could have a good go at that comp!The Shannons Mckenna and Gaffney where all cup tied!Because they started the season with Glenview!

Ron Bergundy
10/02/2006, 12:27 PM
It,s just a pity we didnt have the Shannons and Mckenna and Gaffney for that game!Ballymun where there for the taking!I think if Abbey can keep there current squad together for next season! then with a bit of luck they could have a good go at that comp!The Shannons Mckenna and Gaffney where all cup tied!Because they started the season with Glenview!
How is it that Abbey Utd can poach players off glenview?Are they not a sligo super league side aswell???what abbeys chances of connacht cup glory?i'd place abbey 3rd now for it behind Castlebar Celtic and Corrib Rangers

renovater
10/02/2006, 10:41 PM
How is it that Abbey Utd can poach players off glenview?Are they not a sligo super league side aswell???what abbeys chances of connacht cup glory?i'd place abbey 3rd now for it behind Castlebar Celtic and Corrib Rangers
define the word poach players

red metal
11/02/2006, 8:54 AM

I think there was some unrest in the Glenview camp!There loss is or gain.

renovater
11/02/2006, 3:19 PM
I think there was some unrest in the Glenview camp!There loss is or gain.
they decided not to sign glenveiw in the new season 2005-2006.thats ok every player is a free agent to sign for who he wishes to sign for :ball: