PDA

View Full Version : Quinn fit and ready for Far East

Pablo
13/05/2002, 4:20 PM
13/05/2002 - 3:12:10 PM

Niall Quinn will line up for his £1million benefit match tomorrow physically and mentally fit for the Republic of Ireland’s bid for World Cup glory as he refuses to let thoughts of retirement cloud his mind.

Quinn’s Sunderland take on Mick McCarthy’s Irish at the Stadium of Light for a game being dubbed ‘A Night with Niall’, which is expected to raise the seven-figure sum for children’s charities.

Part of what is a unique event includes the sale of non-attendance tickets in order to boost funds, with hospitals in Sunderland and Dublin benefiting from the generosity of the 35-year-old striker.

After six years with the Black Cats and 16 for the Republic, Quinn aims to play 20 minutes in each half for both sides.

But while the World Cup represents his swansong at international level, it remains unclear whether tomorrow’s game will be the last Sunderland fans see of Quinn in a red and white striped shirt.

Quinn is refusing to announce whether he will see out the final season on a three-year extension he signed with Sunderland in the summer of 2000 until after he returns from Japan and South Korea.

There can be no doubt last season, with Sunderland narrowly avoiding relegation, proved to be a difficult one for Quinn and will almost certainly have given him food for thought.

But as he concedes, he has to be ‘‘in a really positive state of mind’’ if he is to do himself justice in the Far East, even though he now finds himself playing second fiddle to the Robbie Keane-Damien Duff partnership.

‘‘It’s been a tough season, both physically and mentally, particularly physically as I was asked to play far more games than either Peter (Reid) or I had made plans for,’’ said Quinn.

‘‘In pre-season we sat down and we talked about me being used sparingly and that’s what happened for the first few games, but then it became apparent Lilian (Laslandes) was not going to work out.

‘‘Don’t get me wrong, I was delighted to play, but it took its toll. The five games over Christmas took it out on me, and in the last of those against West Brom, I couldn’t raise a gallop.

‘‘I then spent a month not feeling too good and doubting whether I would ever get better, but it’s come right and I’m in good nick again now.

‘‘Mentally, there has been a cloud because of the way we have performed this season, but now we are safe that has lifted, which is why I can’t afford to think about retirement.

‘‘I’ve got to be spot on for Mick because I might be needed at any time, and talking about it now isn’t the best way to do that.

‘‘I’m still very much a professional player and I’ll have a chat with Peter when I come back.’’

Quinn, the Republic’s leading goalscorer with 21 to his name from 88 caps, admits he has been ‘‘very fortunate’’ to have enjoyed such an illustrious career and felt such a benefit game would be an appropriate thank you.

But in light of Sunderland’s season, only 30,000 tickets have so far been sold in a stadium which holds 48,000, while just 6,000 Irish fans are making the trip.

That is primarily due to the Republic playing Nigeria at Lansdowne Road on Thursday in their last meaningful warm-up match before flying to the Far East 24 hours later.

Quinn, though, has still been stunned by the reaction to the match as he added: ‘‘It’s been incredible, beyond comparison.

‘‘Nothing in my life has ever touched me like this. I was embarrassed at the start. I felt people might think I was showing off or that I was doing it for the wrong reasons.

‘‘But people have caught onto it straight away, and it’s been colossal.

‘‘It’s only right that I put this back in now because football has been unbelievably good to me. I think it’s been well documented that I’ve led a brilliant life. I’ve had an unbelievable time.

‘‘I’m almost giddy. I’ve been giddy since I was about 16 or 17 years or age, and I’m still living the dream now.’’

Only Thomas Sorensen and Claudio Reyna are unavailable for Sunderland as they have now linked up with the Denmark and United States World Cup squads respectively.

As well as Quinn, McCarthy has the other 22 members of his squad available, and is planning to field a team in each half.

pete
13/05/2002, 5:05 PM
I think Quinn is a strong addition to the squad as will certainly be needed at some stange in the finals.

btw when is that sunderland game on?

James
13/05/2002, 5:10 PM
Originally posted by Pablo
13/05/2002 - 3:12:10 PM
Niall Quinn will line up for his £1million benefit match tomorrow .................................................. ......................................

.................., it remains unclear whether tomorrow’s game will be the last Sunderland fans see of Quinn in a red and white striped shirt.......

Originally posted by pete
btw when is that sunderland game on?

aaaam tomoro maybe Pete :)