View Full Version : Transfers

Blue Man
07/12/2005, 1:31 PM
Any info on any other players linked with the club or players left

Maynard
07/12/2005, 5:46 PM
City announce new signings

5th December '05

DUBLIN CITY FC manager Dermot Keely has has made several key signings to bolster the Vikings squad in advance of next season's eircom League Premier Division campaign.

Joining the promoted Dubliners are defenders Gavin McDonnell (Shamrock Rovers) and Damien Brennan (Derry City) while midfielder Paul Crowley (Waterford United) and striker Ger McCarthy (Dundalk).

Keely has been active singing up many of his successful promotion squad and to date Dave Freeman, Derek Pender, Ben Whelehan, Alan Keely, Dave McGill, Robbie Collins, Paul Shiels and Robbie Hedderman have all resigned for City and manager Keely has promised more signings in the coming weeks.

"I'm delighted with the players I have signed to date," said Dermot Keely. "I've spoken to several more quality players and I'm very optimistic that I'll be in a position to announce several more exciting signings for the club."

"We've very ambitious here at Dublin City and I believe that we can make our presence felt in the Premier Division. We have some very talented players on board and we're looking to establish ourselves as a Premier Division force."

Said Vikings Chief Executive Ronan Seery: "I'm delighted with the quality of player Dermot has signed already and we are speaking to several more proven players and I'd be optimistic of announcing more signing in the coming days."

dublinwanderer
08/12/2005, 9:57 PM
i heard dublin city's reserve gk D Ennis is on his way out of the club after a bust up with Keely...:eek:

Sheridan
08/12/2005, 10:19 PM
i heard dublin city's reserve gk D Ennis is on his way out of the club after a bust up with Keely...:eek:
If so, there was only one realistic winner (Davie is smaller than Stephen O'Brien.) Perhaps he neglected to do his homework? :eek:

Breifne
09/12/2005, 11:40 AM

Lets me realistic here, Dave was third in line for a game, after James Gallagher and Brendan Kennedy and would have been behind Clifford Henry if he had decided to stay at the club.

He played twice, both against Limerick, but out of necessity (red card and injury) not out of selection.

Maynard
09/12/2005, 11:53 AM
Dublin City FC would like to announce the signing of FAI Cup Winner Mark Rooney from Drogheda United.

The 22 year old has been a full time professional with Drogheda for the last two seasons, where he joined from a season long spell at UCD.

Mark also gained international experience for the eircom League Under-21 selection in Wales in 2003

Dublin City would like to thank Paul Doolin and all at Drogheda United for their co-operation in this signing.

Anyone know anything about him?

Sheridan
09/12/2005, 11:59 AM
Anyone know anything about him?
See my recently posted thread. He's ex-City (briefly, in 2003), U.C.D. and Drogheda. Remarkable pace, decent technique. He just can't finish.

pineapple stu
09/12/2005, 12:20 PM
Yep, about sums him up. 1 goal in 24 games for UCD. 2 in 25 for Drogheda this season - about the same last year. What did he get for youz first time around? Isn't the kind of player who you'd want to be looking to for the goals to keep you up, I'd say.

Blue Man
12/12/2005, 7:46 AM
If so, there was only one realistic winner (Davie is smaller than Stephen O'Brien.) Perhaps he neglected to do his homework? :eek:

Give the lad a chance. He came in and as far as i'm concerned didn't let himself or the club down. and Stephen O'brien went on to win 3 cup winners medals in 2 seasons. not bad for a small keeper:)

Maynard
12/12/2005, 5:23 PM
Ennis certainly didn't do himself any injustice when thrust into the spotlight (if at any stage you can call the 1st division the spotlight:o )

As far as speculation goes Ken Oman's name seems to have cropped up, I'd be happy enough with him. We still need 2 keepers, at least 2 midfielders and another (goalscoring:rolleyes: ) striker...

drummerboy
13/12/2005, 9:27 AM
Surprised to see Aidan Lynch going to Dundalk!

Maynard
13/12/2005, 11:47 AM
Is that confirmed? Think it's f@cking crazy to let him go:( ...he can play anywhere across the back four and was solid as a rock when he came to us (apart perhaps from the 2nd leg against Rovers, where it turns out he was just getting over a bout of flu that he didn't tell anyone about)

Great signing for Giller at Dundalk, he's brought a few of the old DC faces there, and on their new pitch they could well be in the shake up next season...

Blue Man
17/12/2005, 11:30 AM
i see we've signed Gary Rogers from drogheda.i reckon its a great signing.good bit of business by dermot.

Maynard
17/12/2005, 4:51 PM
Yep great signing there alright. Puts my mind at ease somewhat that we will have a solid 'keeper between the sticks when the going gets tough.
Good man Dermot.:)

P.S
DUBLIN CITY FC have completed the signing of Drogheda United goalkeeper Gary Rogers.

The Drogheda native was formerly on the books of Shelbourne and St Francis and Vikings manager Dermot Keely was delighted with his new capture.

"Gary's a first class goalkeeper. We know his strengths and he'll be a big asset to us. He's young but he's plenty of experience but he's a very safe pair of hands and I know he'll be a big favourite with the fans," said Keely.

Gary has been a previous Supporters Player of the Year for the Drogs and was also called into the Ireland under 21 squad in 2004 by Don Givens. He appearances last season were limited only by the excellent from of Dan Connor but Keely's legendary powers of persuasion have convinced the 24-year-old that his future lies with the capital's newest Premier Division side.

P.P.S The "legendary powers of persuasion" remark sounds like he threatened to take his thumbs if he didn't sign!:D

Blue Man
19/12/2005, 3:45 PM
Brendan Kennedy and Alan Mulcahy have signed for Kildare so i hear.Thought ping would have stayed as he played his part in getting us up.two very solid games against rovers i thought

Maynard
19/12/2005, 5:57 PM
Sad to see big BK go alright. Rumour has it he was offered a spot on the bench for next season at City, but for the same moolah and he turned it down. I imagine at this stage of his career he just wants to be playing every week, so I'd say the money wasn't really the issue (I hope)
Brendan didn't put a foot wrong against Athlone in the final game of the season and was error-free in both legs against Rovers. Actually had a great chat with him the night we went up, and he said that apart from 1 shot which he very impressively plucked out of the top corner just before the break against Athlone, he didn't have another save to make during the remaining 225/240 minutes of football that saw us win promotion. He was astounded that he hadn't had more work to do in what effectively ammounted to the achieveing of the impossible.

I wish him and Alan all the best at Kildare, I'm sure they'll both fit in well there. Al is a fine player, and (like BK) a gentleman off the field. Perhaps a year or two working on his game and Alan could become a very interesting prospect...

Oh and I was told by a source at the club that we're hopeful of making another "big signing" (Gary Rogers being the 1st one) sometime this week...

Also got a glimpse at the prototype for the new Umbro City jersey...looked very nice indeed. Round neck, with dark blue centre column framed on either side by sky blue vertical colums...hard to explain in words alone really...think Athlone Town meets UCD and you're in the ballpark, the away is mooted to be white with sky blue trim a la Dublin's "training strip" that the goalie occasionally wore.

Blue Man
19/12/2005, 9:24 PM
I reckon the "big signing" could be Ken Oman.But you never know with Dermot.Maybe he's trying an audacious bid to snatch Liam Kearney from under the noses of Heerenveen:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Maynard
20/12/2005, 8:52 AM
We'll be doing well to keep Oman from the full time clubs I'd say, but then again you never know, he'd be a great addition, and having signed a 'keeper of the quality that we have, (alongside some other useful players) we might get lucky. In my opinion we still need another 2 midfielders, a striker and a back-up 'keeper on top of a defender.

Sheridan
20/12/2005, 9:08 AM
Is Andy Myler out of contract? That would be interesting. :eek:

Not bowled over by the quality of signing to date, Rogers and Crowley aside. Let us fervently hope further arrivals are imminent, because a team comprising Rogers, Brennan, Pender, Whelehan, Keely, McGill, Shiels, Crowley, Collins, McCarthy, Freeman could struggle in the Premier.

Maynard
20/12/2005, 11:20 AM
As much as I hate the man, Andy Myler might be the kind of guy that we need. Always scores goals. But not sure about his current contract,and I doubt anything other than Keely's "legendary powers of persuasion" (:D ) would make him want to come to us.

That team you listed insn't a bad side Sheridan (arguably stronger than Bray's first 11 that faired admirably last year) However, that said I still feel that we need more panache in the middle and an out and out goal getter up top. Still plenty of time, no need to panic just yet I'd wager.

Maynard
20/12/2005, 11:50 AM
Just took this from the Shels board, with so many decent midfielders on the bench surely we could take one or two on loan, what with the general good will between the clubs? Just a thought...

Pick from Wes, Ndo, Crawford, Byrne, Reynolds, Chambers, Tyrrell, Cahill, Ryan, Baker, O'Halloran

Far to many midfielders for a 1st team squad. Chambers should be loaned out for 1st team experience, worked wonders for Tyrrell with us last season, come to think of it, well have him back again this season That would still leave ya with 9 playing for 4 spots.......

Blue Man
20/12/2005, 2:52 PM
Chambers is a mate of mine and should definately be loaned out . would be a good acqusition.had been attracting interest from aberdeen earlier in the season but decided to stay.also a youth international and would add a bit of creativity to our midfield

Maynard
20/12/2005, 5:38 PM
Well may I be the first to say, get on the case Blue Man! Try not to ask for too much commision though (unless it's from his goal bonus:D ):)

dublinwanderer
20/12/2005, 8:47 PM
:p heard dave ennis about to sign for bray any news about this blue man? good young keeper and all that!!!!:p

Blue Man
20/12/2005, 9:37 PM
dunno where you get your transfer speculation from dublin wanderer but you should definately sack your source.

Blue Man
22/12/2005, 2:25 PM
reports today suggest that we have signed john lester and are interested in kevin doherty.any official word on this

Maynard
22/12/2005, 5:26 PM
An official at another EL club told me ages ago (well before we'd signed anyone anyway) that Lester would be signing for us, but then it never happened, so I'd say we're interested in him at least. Also read on a UCD thread that Sean Finn has signed for us, although again no official confirmation. Finner's a very good player, he trained with us while he was at Waterford, but I've been told on more then one occasion that his attitude can really stink. I played for a few years with his brothers, and they're all nice fellas, I might five one of them a call and see what the story is.

dublinwanderer
22/12/2005, 5:30 PM
reports today suggest that we have signed john lester and are interested in kevin doherty.any official word on this

you seem to come across alot of reports and rumours, blue man, are you involved in dublin city in any way? you were very quick in protecting young davey ennis - its all very interesting isnt it????;)

oh by the way kevin doherty is signing with bray....:p

we were about to sign lester last year but devo thought we had better options at the club already - i'd have to agree with devo on that anyway:(

Maynard
22/12/2005, 5:32 PM
An official at another EL club told me ages ago (well before we'd signed anyone anyway) that Lester would be signing for us, but then it never happened, so I'd say we're interested in him at least. Also read on a UCD thread that Sean Finn has signed for us, although again no official confirmation. Finner's a very good player, he trained with us while he was at Waterford, but I've been told on more then one occasion that his attitude can really stink. I played for a few years with his brothers, and they're all nice fellas, I might five one of them a call and see what the story is.

Well it appears I've saved myself the price of a local call, as the Trasfers thread says that Sean Finn has signed for Dundalk...Really hope we can get Lester so, cause we need some polish in our midfield. On another note, looks like Giller is putting a fine side together in the wee county, they should challenge...Met a lad last night who's Da played cricket regularly with Giller, and appartently the little fella was a dab hand at it too!:eek: I repeat cricket

Maynard
22/12/2005, 5:38 PM
Just had a peek at the speculation thread and one Waterford fan says Lestor has left and is signing for us, and that Doherty is going to either us or Bohs...

Blue Man
22/12/2005, 6:02 PM
you seem to come across alot of reports and rumours, blue man, are you involved in dublin city in any way? you were very quick in protecting young davey ennis - its all very interesting isnt it????;)

oh by the way kevin doherty is signing with bray....:p

we were about to sign lester last year but devo thought we had better options at the club already - i'd have to agree with devo on that anyway:(

The Jason Byrne transfer is back on apparently.Suits Bray down to the ground doesn't it!!i saw the lad play against Limerick and thought he done well under very difficult circumstances that night.And yes I am involved in Dublin City as its the club i support!!Barcode 2nite!!!??

Sheridan
22/12/2005, 7:49 PM
And yes I am involved in Dublin City as its the club i support!!
I thought you supported Leeds? :confused: :p

Not interested in Lester, tbh. I've learned from bitter experience that chronically unfit players seldom change their ways, no matter how vociferous their assurances to the contrary. Not sure who else is available, though. Cottsy would be ideal for that role, but it's not gonna happen with Keely in charge. :(

Maynard
24/12/2005, 3:17 PM
I can officially quash the Lester rumour. Not going to happen, on grounds of fittness. The search continues...

Maynard
29/12/2005, 2:45 PM
Mick O'Donnell from UCD...not really sure what to make of it. On the face of it,probably good to have some experience at this level, which he obvioulsy has bucketloads of...just hope he's not past it, wondering why Mahon let him go after 10 years at the club, maybe he's knows something we don't?

Maynard
05/01/2006, 2:32 PM
Dublin City have just signed defender Keith Doyle who had been available since his release from Shamrock Rovers a short while ago.

Doyle was a member of the Rovers side who were defeated by the Vikings over the two legged relegation playoff last November.

Doyle becomes the eigth signing of the close season for Dermot Keely, as he prepares to keep the premier division new boys in the top flight.

Rusty
06/01/2006, 12:01 PM
apparently you have taken another drog in the form of hot shot hamish stewie malcolm. another good signing, looking good for yiz lads fair play:D

Maynard
06/01/2006, 3:31 PM
What source have you got on that one? Is he any good? What position etc...Cheers

Cosmo
07/01/2006, 12:51 PM
What source have you got on that one? Is he any good? What position etc...Cheers

It was on LMFM and someone involved in the club told me the same yesterday - hes a centre half - average enough, wouldnt get a look into our side next season, will do a job for ye anyway. Hes a big falkirk supporter too :D

Maynard
08/01/2006, 5:37 PM
It seems to be a done deal, as it has appeared on the official Transfers thread in the general forum.

I heard he's a big fecker...any chance he could play up front with any effect? All we have up there are speedy buggers...

Cosmo
08/01/2006, 5:48 PM
any chance he could play up front with any effect? All we have up there are speedy buggers...

He played up front for us a few times last season - he didnt do very well :o

Decent enough signing regardless though

pineapple stu
08/01/2006, 8:11 PM
It seems to be a done deal, as it has appeared on the official Transfers thread in the general forum.
I just took it from here to be honest - sounded like a done deal anyway. Probably be confirmed shortly.

Maynard
09/01/2006, 5:41 PM
Shoddy journalism;) It's been confirmed so all is above board. Says in the statement posted by Ringo that he can play up front as well at the back...purely in a Gary Doherty (:eek: ) capacity I imagine...

pineapple stu
09/01/2006, 5:48 PM
What can I say?! Puts the rest of the thread in perspective, doesn't it?!

blueviking1980
09/01/2006, 5:51 PM
DC pretty much started a team from scratch goin into the Funeral League last year... is it possible in any 1's view to strike gold twice... what I mean is, can we keep it on a level this season? :ball:

Rory H
10/01/2006, 12:24 PM
yer after some keeper too

charlie....walker...maybe...his first name is charlie;)

us and ye are competing for his services anwyay

it was in our local paper

we have 2 quality keepers,he might be scared away from us by that

gustavo
10/01/2006, 12:29 PM
its Charlie Tracey

Blue Man
10/01/2006, 5:08 PM
Has he been let go by oldham.

Maynard
10/01/2006, 5:33 PM
Well we only have one 'keeper, so if that's an issue then maybe we'd be in a better position. Personally, I wouldn't see the point in signing Rodgers if he's only going to warm a different bench...I mean you don't want a clown of a sub 'keeper but at the same time, realistically, you are unlikely to need your sub goalie much in a season, so why would you shell out for two top class 'keepers when one average guy understudying a very good one will do?