PDA

View Full Version : A Proud Day For Irish Sport

finlma
07/12/2005, 8:48 AM
I've already mentioned this but here's some more details. Ireland have been crowned the World Amateur Elephant Polo Champions

Link to story (http://newsfeed.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/story.asp?j=100330987728&p=yxx33x9884z4&n=100330988523)

Ireland stomp to victory in Nepal
06 December 2005

By Colm O’Connor
GOOD news for our legion of elephant polo fans — Ireland have captured the Amateur World Championship title in Nepal.
The Chivas Regal WEPA Olympic Quaich crown, the amateur section of the 24th World

Elephant Polo Championship, will reside on Irish shores following a thrilling victory over an experienced international entry, the International Tigresses team, with players from Nepal, Sweden and Britain.

Despite entering the tie as underdogs, Irish spirits were roused before the final by a rendition of Danny Boy by the Band of the Brigade of Gurkhas in a tribute to the memory of George Best.

The Irish squad of captain Graham Little (a sports presenter on UTV), brother Warren Little, Justin ‘The Scoop’ Woods, Michael Loughman, Colin Carroll and Graham ‘Slippy’ Smith started the final with a four goal advantage due to the handicapping system and set out to doggedly defend it.

However, striker Warren Little turned defence into attack as he surged forward to sneak a goal against the run of play taking the score to 5-0 after only three minutes and 43 seconds of play.

International Tigresses mounted a storming second half comeback with goals from Sweden’s Lars Lofgren and a spectacular volley from Celia Temple as she met a powerful Lofgren cross on the full.

However, Ireland held out for a 6-2 win to land the title in their first year of competing.

In the professional series, Chivas Regal Scotland won their second World Championship in a row with a 7-6 win over arch rivals the National Parks team of Nepal.

The tournament saw eight teams and players from 11 countries taking part in one of the most stunning locations for a sporting event, with the mighty Himalayas providing the backdrop. The competition was played in the Chitwan National Park in Nepal, one of the most densely populated areas in the world for Bengal tigers.

Dodge
07/12/2005, 9:07 AM
In your face Nepal!!!!

Dublin12
07/12/2005, 9:24 AM
I hope this is hushed up,I don't want me kid looking for an elephant for Christmas:D

Bluebeard
07/12/2005, 10:11 AM
Isn't yer man Graham Little the guy was third placed in the world nettle eating championships? He decided a year or two ago that he wanted to be world champion something, hence the entry.

Where do they train. I'd also like to know are the elephants Irish born, or are they Plastic Paddy Elephants ;)

Dodge
07/12/2005, 10:19 AM
And still nobody will support our local elephant polo league?!?!?!

finlma
07/12/2005, 12:06 PM
Where do they train. I'd also like to know are the elephants Irish born, or are they Plastic Paddy Elephants ;)

They were saying on Today FM that they trained on top of Landrovers, just to get used to the height. They probably got someone with the brain of an elephant to drive them.

ollie
07/12/2005, 3:55 PM
the hair on the back of my neck was standing reading this.a prowd prowd moment......

....so what is elephant polo again?

shedite
14/12/2005, 2:45 PM
http://www.elephantpolo.com/

The Stars
16/12/2005, 2:47 PM
I knew they could do it......Ireland,Ireland

sligoman
18/12/2005, 1:43 PM
Fecking elephants:D. Go on Ireland!

So, when are Ireland hosting the event? I wonder would I be able to get tickets or will they sell fast?:rolleyes: