PDA

View Full Version : Breen Going Nowhere

harpskid
06/12/2005, 6:33 PM
See story on FINN HARPS DOT COM (http://finnharps.openhosts.com/News/05Dec06breen.html)

The Stars
06/12/2005, 6:34 PM
ya but he talked to us so he must have been a bit interested?

Speranza
06/12/2005, 7:57 PM
In all fairness why would Sligo want him. He had no effect at all this season in the Premier. Funston and McHugh and the only two players in Harps squad capable of premier football.

fbtn
08/12/2005, 10:58 AM
In all fairness why would Sligo want him. He had no effect at all this season in the Premier. Funston and McHugh and the only two players in Harps squad capable of premier football.

Don't know how many times you seen us play this year but Breen is well capable of playing in the Premier. He had a good season for a young fella in first year in the top flight - and only his second season playing senior football.

Gavin Cullen was also excellent, Minnock quality full-back and other young players like Whizzy McGowan and Conor Gethins are quality.

Not being smart but how many times did you see Harps this season? Funston wasn't great against you while McGowan was outstanding.

Rory H
08/12/2005, 11:08 AM
i think he is decent alright...sure it was only his first season in premier and its hardly a decent team around him...

Speranza
08/12/2005, 11:21 AM
But on evidence alone his goals scored shows he is not capable of scoring in the premier. I really don't mean to cause offence but the excuse that his service was bad doesn't wash, good strikers will create their own chances. McHugh scored 13 with the same service that Breen had.

It doesn't matter if it was his 1st season in the premier. It was the first time that Mark Farren played anywhere near a full season and look how he did.

Rory H
08/12/2005, 11:56 AM
to be honest he isnt coming to rovers so ill just leave this section now because i no longer care:)

fbtn
08/12/2005, 4:33 PM
That is why I asked you how many times you seen him.

In fairness I agree with the point that he didn't get anywhere near as many goals as he should but the whole point is that he isn't an out-and-out striker.

He played as a winger regularly - we played the dreaded 4-5-1 for many games with Kev up front on his own.

A good percentage of Kevins goals came from Breen. He causes defences all sorts of problems with his pace and wins an awful lot of free's as most defenders can't handle him.

Delighted that he is staying. He has the potential to be one of the better players in the league.

Speranza
08/12/2005, 4:43 PM
Bit off topic but, will Harps be adding to the squad in pre-season? If McHugh joins us then it'll be nothing compared to the squad that won the first division.

harpskid
08/12/2005, 6:06 PM
Bit off topic but, will Harps be adding to the squad in pre-season? If McHugh joins us then it'll be nothing compared to the squad that won the first division.

Yeah we will, one way or the other. really depends on Mc Hugh I'd imagine.

If he leaves we have to sign a goalscorer, while if he stays a team would be built around him IMO

monzo
11/12/2005, 9:15 AM
Agree with FBTN - Breen may have not scored as many as he could have but his overall contribution to the team is essential. His pace and dribbling are a hassle for any defence, ask the Cork city right back in the home cup tie, or half of the Longford defence.

I see him as a better player when on the wing as opposed to playing up front. His finishing is a bit poor, but I think if he gets the right coaching he can be a tremendous winger, one of the best in the eL.

Next year if Gethins stays I think he will conjure up quite a few goals, which might put Breen on the left or right wing. That depends if McHugh stays though. Speaking of the left and right wing, what options do we have? LW - there's Gethins/Breen/Fintan Bonner/Capper. RW - Gethins/Capper (if he stays)/Crossan/Breen. Another winger should be added as those players are all versatile hence probably won't be suited to one position. Toland from what I've heard ages ago on the harps forum sounds alright, anyone give me some more juice?

harpskid
11/12/2005, 9:27 AM
Who's Toland? :confused:

As regards the wing positions, I'd say we'll be signing a player who could play there very shortly. Gethins looks good but I feel his best position is up front, ideally with Mc Hugh.

Chrissy, I'd have as a right winger. Can't see Capper's services being retained tbh, but if Gary Crossan was kept on then he'd be grand cover for the right. Would love to see Josie back again for the left sided spot, but I know that's highly unlikely.

Players will be coming in for the positions we need though - centre back, centre mid and winger/striker - and I know that Gorman is speaking to people with regard to these positions.

Hopefully we'll hear more in the coming days:ball:

Neish
11/12/2005, 11:18 AM
Players will be coming in for the positions we need though - centre back, centre mid and winger/striker - and I know that Gorman is speaking to people with regard to these positions.
:

Was just about to post similar myself if we can keep McHugh and Gethins I think both will be great up front for Div1 would have Chrissy on the wing. We definetly need a centre back and possibly a central midfeilder too.

If we can gey someone to fill these positions and keep the rest of the squad I think we'll have a great squad for next season.

monzo
11/12/2005, 1:06 PM
Maybe it's Tolan. (I think it's a Coleraine player, not sure though)

monzo
11/12/2005, 1:51 PM
Agree with most of that harpskid - although as you mentioned josie doesn't look like he'll make a return to the Harps.

"Players will be coming in for the positions we need though - centre back, centre mid and winger/striker - and I know that Gorman is speaking to people with regard to these positions. "

As long as these potential signings have the ability to be good in the Premier and are not just journeymen (Lauchlan/Capper) then I'll be happy. And I hope we bring in a few of the USL stars on trials, don't want them getting snapped up by the muckers, although they mightn't make the grade anyway.

Ps, what's the story on Scoltock, is he retiring 'cos of his studies?

Red4Eva
15/12/2005, 12:52 AM
Our manager sez in local papers that he's still confident of signing breen and that harps refused permission to talk to him. sounds like he thinks extremely highly of him as he said he's one of few players that have really caught his attention

harpskid
15/12/2005, 8:25 AM
that harps refused permission to talk to him

And he still spoke to Chrissy and made him an offer....

Tut, tut, breaking the rules already an' yiz are only up just over a month...

Illegal approaches...who'd have thunk it! :eek:

Rory H
15/12/2005, 10:41 AM
i think we will get him now.....a 2nd offer may be hard to refuse

sligoman
15/12/2005, 11:23 AM
to be honest he isnt coming to rovers so ill just leave this section now because i no longer care:)

i think we will get him now.....a 2nd offer may be hard to refuse:rolleyes:

:p.

Rory H
15/12/2005, 11:25 AM
:D :D

fickle,stupid,me?:rolleyes:

harpskid
15/12/2005, 2:46 PM
i think we will get him now.....a 2nd offer may be hard to refuse

No yis won't. Trust me yiz won't!

Rory H
15/12/2005, 2:49 PM
we will see i guess

harpskid
15/12/2005, 2:50 PM
we will see i guess

Yes, we will! He aint for sale boys!

Red4Eva
15/12/2005, 3:20 PM
if connor's still confident i think we'll get him

harpskid
15/12/2005, 6:10 PM
if connor's still confident i think we'll get him

He is going no-where. Trust me on this one!

rovers mad
15/12/2005, 7:03 PM
Ye finn harps fans can trust me if sean conner really wants a player he will get him and he likes breen alot,he proved that he will get his man if he really wants him when he got paul brown,he put in four offers for him and now he plays for us just like breen will next season in the PREMIER DIVISION

harpskid
15/12/2005, 7:14 PM
Trust me lads, I've been goin' to Harps games with himself and Shaun Mc Gowan for the last 10 years. He'll still be a Harps player next year.

Jesus, read what he says in the interview - "NO CHANCE"

Incase your knowledge of the English language doesn't allow you to disect that quote, that means he will not be playing for Sligo Rovers next season.

Add in the fact that he'll be out of the country til then, I doubt Connor would even wait that long had he even a chance of getting him!!

monzo
16/12/2005, 9:15 PM
What skid said.

Sometimes loyalty remains in players.

Rory H
17/12/2005, 11:04 AM
ya..sometimes

Rory H
22/12/2005, 11:20 AM
rumour has it the deal is looking more likely...

sligoman
22/12/2005, 11:25 AM
rumour has it the deal is looking more likely...Harps couldn't lose McHugh and Breen all in the one week surely?:confused: or maybe they will;)

harpskid
22/12/2005, 3:49 PM
rumour has it the deal is looking more likely...

NO CHANCE

sligoman
22/12/2005, 4:14 PM
NO CHANCEShout all you want, we're not listening:p:D.