PDA

View Full Version : Brighton step up Murray pursuit

sligoman
06/12/2005, 6:01 PM
Coca-Cola Championship side Brighton are ready to step up their interest in Cork City captain Dan Murray after sending a scout to watch Sunday’s FAI Carlsberg Cup final at Lansdowne Road.

Murray was on the losing side on the day, with Drogheda United upsetting the odds to lift the Cup for the first time.

But the 24-year-old has been central to Cork’s emergence as the top side in Ireland in 2005 and Brighton are thought to be willing to formalize their interest.

The Englishman’s alliance with Alan Bennett at the heart of the defence gave Cork the tightest defence in the league – conceding just 18 goals in 33 games – as the Leesiders ended their 12-year wait to regain the league crown.

Murray joined Cork from Peterborough two years ago and replaced Greg O’Halloran as skipper soon after.

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/premier/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=20312

A face
06/12/2005, 6:37 PM
Jebus ... i wouldn't have thought Brighton as any great shakes to be fair ?? :confused:

pete
06/12/2005, 6:39 PM
I know he has his critics but i think he has done well this season. Then again every player has his price.

A face
06/12/2005, 7:17 PM
I know he has his critics but i think he has done well this season. Then again every player has his price.

He was in for alot of abuse at the start of the seaon alright but his record speaks volumes.

Brighton though .... i mean .... it doesn't actually strike me as a great move for the guy. Brighton ??? :( ..... the graveyard of ambition !!

daveh
06/12/2005, 10:29 PM
Looks likely that they'l be relegated this year aswell so it depends on if he'd rather have half a season in the championship or champions league football?

I know what i'd pick

A face
06/12/2005, 11:14 PM
I just hope the club are nailing down all the contracts ... if we do have to lose any players then it should be for money, and a fair price too .... i am getting totally píssed off with players going for peanuts. To be fair i cant ever recall an English club giving a decent deal for a player, and that is only when the deals were above board.

Fair_play_boy
07/12/2005, 12:20 AM
He was in for alot of abuse at the start of the seaon alright but his record speaks volumes.Most of it was late last season. If I remember rightly, in the last game of the season in 2004 at the Cross, he was outstanding, and to be fair, most of his performances this season have shown he is capable of playing consistently well.

A face
07/12/2005, 12:45 AM
Most of it was late last season.

Well all that time was particularly bad .... and some of it was totally uncalled for, i must admit, i was saying he should probably have been rested on one or two stages but no way did deserve the abuse he got then.

Fair play to the guy though .... he has proved all the critics wrong.

Risteard
07/12/2005, 10:35 AM
To be fair i cant ever recall an English club giving a decent deal for a player, and that is only when the deals were above board.
Waterford did well out of Daryl Murphy imo.

Hulsey
07/12/2005, 10:42 AM
Waterford did well out of Daryl Murphy imo.
Did o.k financially, but if Sunderland were buying someone of the same callibre from say Tranmere they prob would have had to pay between 250,000 and 500,000 if not more.

A face
07/12/2005, 10:58 AM
Did o.k financially, but if Sunderland were buying someone of the same callibre from say Tranmere they prob would have had to pay between 250,000 and 500,000 if not more.

Exactly .... Waterford got peanuts and Sunderland know that !!

Galwayexile
07/12/2005, 11:05 AM
dan murray would be mad to go to brighton, their a small club and will be relegated to div 1 this season.

Hes better off staying in cork where he has european champions league football to look forward too.

Anyways could brighton afford to buy him, there not exactly cash rich.

Roo69
07/12/2005, 11:20 AM
They currentley play in the Whitdean Stadium, which holds 6500 people. They are getting a new stadium (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/brighton/4383310.stm) built that will hold 23,000, which will be an all-seater. Looks like they are trying to build the club and go in the right direction, also its not a cert that they will go down this season. He'd be on much better wages as well............ money talks

joeSoap
07/12/2005, 11:29 AM
And he is English after all, and pobably fancies a move closer to home. Plus, champions league qualifers or not, the allure of playing in England is something most players would find hard to snub.

Colm
07/12/2005, 12:05 PM
Dan is definately not going to Brighton or anywhere else for that matter.

KK77
07/12/2005, 1:33 PM
They currentley play in the Whitdean Stadium, which holds 6500 people. They are getting a new stadium (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/brighton/4383310.stm) built that will hold 23,000, which will be an all-seater. Looks like they are trying to build the club and go in the right direction, also its not a cert that they will go down this season. He'd be on much better wages as well............ money talks

Have to agree with Roo on this ok he could play champions league football with Cork but he may play two games and be out but other than that Brighton are a much better bet for his career long term.

kingcolers
07/12/2005, 1:45 PM
Dan is definately not going to Brighton or anywhere else for that matter.

how do you know?

Colm
07/12/2005, 1:56 PM
how do you know?

I was speaking to him last night.

razor
07/12/2005, 3:21 PM
Maybe its Kevin Murray they are after

Fair_play_boy
08/12/2005, 12:31 AM
Maybe its Kevin Murray they are afterNow there's an unlucky player if the club ever saw one. With the defensive record in the club this season, Murray K only got onto the pitch once all year as far as I remember. That was in a game against Shels at Tolka, in the Setanta Cup I think. He did Ok too, full of confidence. However with such a youthful back 4, is he better off going elsewhere, even on loan, to gain experience elsewhere?

patsh
08/12/2005, 7:42 AM
Now there's an unlucky player if the club ever saw one. With the defensive record in the club this season, Murray K only got onto the pitch once all year as far as I remember. That was in a game against Shels at Tolka, in the Setanta Cup I think. He did Ok too, full of confidence. However with such a youthful back 4, is he better off going elsewhere, even on loan, to gain experience elsewhere?
It would be a very good idea I think, for him to go on loan.

Redtop
08/12/2005, 10:12 PM
i seen dan murray a couple of times this season and i have to say he was quality definitly of of the best cb in the country

ollie
09/12/2005, 9:08 AM
i seen dan murray a couple of times this season and i have to say he was quality definitly of of the best cb in the country

i think bennett is better myself

superfrank
09/12/2005, 9:33 AM
I can't see him going to Brighton. They can only fit like 6 and a half thousand in there stadium. You'll get mre then that at Turner's.

Also, Champions League or Championship? Title contenders or relegation strugglers? The only thing they could probably offer is more money and not much more at that.

In conclusion, there's no chance in hell.

neutral
09/12/2005, 7:00 PM
Dan Murray is a poor centre half IMO..... He cant pass, cant tackle, cant run. to be honest ive seen buses turn quicker. the only thing he can do is let the ball bounce off his head and claim its a header. Brighton would be mad to buy him because he is quite simply crap.

A face
09/12/2005, 8:19 PM
Dan Murray is a poor centre half IMO..... He cant pass, cant tackle, cant run. to be honest ive seen buses turn quicker. the only thing he can do is let the ball bounce off his head and claim its a header. Brighton would be mad to buy him because he is quite simply crap.

Thats it neutral, maybe they are reading and this will throw them off the trail, good thinking .... just as long as they dont look at his record and realise he has been on of the most consistent players for City all year.

jorge
09/12/2005, 10:55 PM
I doubt hell move theyre only roumors.

24 there's a suprise.he looks 34 tbh.

neutral
10/12/2005, 6:42 PM
of course hes been one of citys most consistent performers look at the players he has around him......he has benno next to him and two of the best full backs in the league in murphy and hoggy....then he has devine in goal. he then has gamble in front of him who protects the back four so well.its hard not to look consistent with those players around you.