PDA

View Full Version : tv audience Fai cup final

geezer
06/12/2005, 4:16 PM
over 320,000 tuned into drogs v cork last sunday, 355,000 watched derry v cork, considering the average audience for an international rugby match is about 270,000 these are great figures. Domestic soccer is becoming the sexy thing to watch on telly

pete
06/12/2005, 4:33 PM
Moved from galway section.

320k on a sunday afternoon is excellent figures.

If this is true surely a watershed for the eL?

tiktok
06/12/2005, 4:38 PM
...with 25,000 in attendance.

Fantastic news!

Raheny Red
06/12/2005, 4:38 PM
Great figures but if they could just make that jump from the sofa to an eL ground we would be flying.

I was at the game and it wasn't a great game. How did it look on t.v? What were the commentators saying about the game?

holidaysong
06/12/2005, 4:39 PM
I was at the game too and didn't hear anything about the TV coverage. Who was in the studio?

pete
06/12/2005, 4:40 PM
As i've said elsewhere people will be slow to go to live games but figures like this are very impressive & could encourage more competition to fight for eL TV rights.

I would think Setanta would jump at chance to televise weekly game if could get 100k for weekly league game.

Red4Eva
06/12/2005, 4:41 PM
Great figures but if they could just make that jump from the sofa to an eL ground we would be flying.

I was at the game and it wasn't a great game. How did it look on t.v? What were the commentators saying about the game?

it was a poor enuff game. big shame roy o'donovan wasn't playin.

mandrake
06/12/2005, 4:43 PM
george hamilton and roddy....where in the comentators box
steven alkin stephne kenny and some cork dude in the studio ..well box over the sth terrace
half time analysis was bad but there was nothing to analys..!
looked good on tv...roddy sounded bored in first half. although he did sum the 1st half up well.

320k thats a lot considering it was a bad first half

tiktok
06/12/2005, 4:45 PM
I was at the game and it wasn't a great game. How did it look on t.v?

I can't imagine it came across well tbh.
Two shots on target from Drogs, one shot off the post for us was the sum total of chances.
What will have come across well was the atmosphere, that might attract a few extra off their sofas.

Raheny Red
06/12/2005, 4:46 PM
maybe half way through the first half there was 750,000 watching it:D

pete
06/12/2005, 4:50 PM
The league decider was 355k at peak & 280k average - i think thats average across each 15min period.

Do we know if 230k was the peak or average?

I'd guess RTE would be lucky to get 50k for average sunday afternoon tv.

There are not many sporting tv matches on RTE that will get into 300k+

Speranza
06/12/2005, 5:55 PM
Pete, you have to remember that the numbers for the title decider are lower than the actual figure given that many more would have watched in the match in Derry that won't have been counted.

pete
06/12/2005, 6:45 PM
Pete, you have to remember that the numbers for the title decider are lower than the actual figure given that many more would have watched in the match in Derry that won't have been counted.

Makes it all the more impressive. Drogheda is also relatively small town so must have been a lot of neutrals watching.

I'd say Setanta would love an all Ireland league with 100k weekly tv figures. I;d be surprised if get half that for average Celtic League game.

Mayo Red
06/12/2005, 6:47 PM
george hamilton and roddy....where in the comentators box
steven alkin stephne kenny and some cork dude in the studio

The "Cork dude" was Pat Morley, the Cork legend who also had a good spell with Shels and is something like 4th or 5th in the all-time League of Ireland goalscorers list.

Great viewing figures alright, no doubt the tight title race helped and the increase in publicity and hype for this years final in the media compared to previous years. I think Damien Richardson had a fair point about the pitch though and it did not look great on tv, although both teams had to deal with it and the score was a fair reflection.

A face
06/12/2005, 7:02 PM
This has to ring some alarm bells in the Sports dept of RTE .... Do they evey look at the potential the league has if given decent resources .... there is about another 1.5 years left in the current TV deal the FAI have with RTE.

They will have to do something about the league coverage in the next one .... but it is up to fans to outline this to them, i mean ... i dont see it happening the other way around.

WindmillWarrior
06/12/2005, 11:26 PM
Makes it all the more impressive. Drogheda is also relatively small town so must have been a lot of neutrals watching.

Drogheda is actually the biggest town in the country.

Typical Corkie ;)

rerun
07/12/2005, 7:12 AM

If they all made the jump we wouldn't fit them in the grounds. :(

geezer
07/12/2005, 7:56 AM
well as a GUFC fan i enjoyed the game, the 320k was peak and the average was 287k which is really good. I know TG4 were very happy with the audience for some of the games they covered this year. Like 55k watched Longford and waterford, thats 55000 that would not normally watch eircom league games and is a whole new audience, another interesting fact about the TV coverage is that regional teams seem to attract bigger crowds. if our grounds keep improving i have no doubt it will get bigger and bigger. We need to offer a better product in grounds like better toilets and entertainment and catering facilities. We need to feed the cappucino culture with proper coffee and bagels etc along with the burger and chip

every eircom league fan should sign up with the NLSA and get working together to promote our product

The Donie Forde
07/12/2005, 8:36 AM
The "Cork dude" was Pat Morley, the Cork legend who also had a good spell with Shels and is something like 4th or 5th in the all-time League of Ireland goalscorers list.

Pat's second on the all-time list. Only Brendan Bradley has bagged more.

Great viewing figures though....

Donie

sfc red
07/12/2005, 9:02 AM
some cork dude

How dare you! Shelbourne legend!

Block G Raptor
07/12/2005, 9:15 AM
This has to ring some alarm bells in the Sports dept of RTE .... Do they evey look at the potential the league has if given decent resources .... there is about another 1.5 years left in the current TV deal the FAI have with RTE.

They will have to do something about the league coverage in the next one .... but it is up to fans to outline this to them, i mean ... i dont see it happening the other way around.

Speak to the NLSA get it on the agenda

mchurl
07/12/2005, 10:43 AM
exactly

BohDiddley
07/12/2005, 11:22 AM

Typical Corkie ;)
I thought Cork was the biggest town in the country! :eek:

Anyway, this is encouraging news. Maybe the great and the good who make decisions on these things (e.g. Morning Ireland still droning on about ManU) might get the message that Irish football is not the complete mess they like to think it is.

Jerry The Saint
07/12/2005, 11:27 AM

Not to mention that it clashed with a full-round of fixtures so most of the supporters of other Premier Division teams weren't even part of that figure.

pineapple stu
07/12/2005, 12:30 PM

Typical Corkie ;)
Technically, isn't Dún Laoghaire bigger (it's not in Dublin City)? I think some sources quote Tallaght as being the biggest as well.

ndrog
07/12/2005, 1:41 PM
Technically, isn't Dún Laoghaire bigger (it's not in Dublin City)? I think some sources quote Tallaght as being the biggest as well.

This is getting silly.Drogheda is officialy the biggest TOWN in rep of Ireland.Fact.It was in the last census.Who cares .We won something.YIPEE !:) :) :)

pineapple stu
07/12/2005, 2:03 PM
This is getting silly.Drogheda is officialy the biggest TOWN in rep of Ireland.Fact.It was in the last census.Who cares .We won something.YIPEE !:) :) :)
Why's Dún Laoghaire not a town? Though your last part makes sense!

pete
07/12/2005, 2:40 PM
I wasn't having a pop at Drogs town as i haven't got my copy of the last census in the post yet.

55k is impressive fiugure for TG4 Longford v Waterford as not exactly the most attractive game that week & TG4 wouldn't get huge figures anyway.

Will be interesting to see what happens with club sponsorship deals in recent years - i doubt Nissan though they'd get Cork City on live tv 16 times this season.

With good figures for live tv i wonder will RTE think of doing weekly highlights show as we all know highlights look better than live full 90 minutes.

Bald Student
07/12/2005, 4:39 PM
Equally irrellavant, did I see Dundalk City win the Ladies Cup?

holidaysong
07/12/2005, 5:30 PM
Dundalk City won the Ladies Cup alright. :) And in the last census (2002) Dundalk (population 32,505) was bigger than Drogheda (population 31,020) but I presume Drogheda will be bigger in the next census now that it is a Dublin suburb...

P.S. - Tallaght and Dun Laoghaire don't count by the way because they do not have town councils. Dundalk and Drogheda do.

thejollyrodger
07/12/2005, 5:39 PM
Those figures are fantastic. An awful lot of people turned in to watch it who were neutrals. Its a big shout of confidence for the league.

Bald Student
07/12/2005, 5:58 PM
Dundalk City won the Ladies Cup alright. :) And in the last census (2002) Dundalk (population 32,505) was bigger than Drogheda (population 31,020) Brilliant. At the last count UCD (about 27,000 during the day) is catching up. When the medical school moves to Belfield I'll look forward to supporting UCD City.

Seriously though, does 32,000 qualify you as a city?

BohDiddley
07/12/2005, 6:51 PM
Why's Dún Laoghaire not a town? Though your last part makes sense!
Since you ask ...
Dun Laoghaire isn't a town because if it was then we would have our own town council, and virtual culchies from places like Dundrum and Stepaside wouldn't be able to shaft us with the worst planning in all of Ireland.
Glad I got that off my chest!

Mayo Red
07/12/2005, 7:24 PM
Anyway, this is encouraging news. Maybe the great and the good who make decisions on these things (e.g. Morning Ireland still droning on about ManU) might get the message that Irish football is not the complete mess they like to think it is.

Well put, there definately seems to be a marked increase in the level of interest taken in the EL during the season just gone. I even know a few barstoolers that took a passing interest this year, lets hope we can sustain the momentum. Increased professionalism, the success of the so-called provincal clubs, the exciting league finish and perhaps even the perception that the Premiership in over nearly before a ball has been kicked have all been contributing factors. There is a viable domestic product there if this years relative success is built on by the EL and all clubs. Competitiveness is very important so that we do not end up in the same position as in Scotland, albeit Hearts have made a bit of a burst this season but there is little change.

pineapple stu
07/12/2005, 8:18 PM
Since you ask ...
Dun Laoghaire isn't a town because if it was then we would have our own town council
Interesting... I stand corrected so!

The most recent census reports are available online (http://www.cso.ie/census/Census2002Results.htm) - volume 1 table 5 shows Drogheda to have just passed out Dundalk in terms of town population, though Dundalk's rural population makes it far bigger overall.

You become a city I think by charter? Don't know how you go about this, but there's certainly no clear cut population barrier.

holidaysong
07/12/2005, 9:49 PM
Brilliant. At the last count UCD (about 27,000 during the day) is catching up. When the medical school moves to Belfield I'll look forward to supporting UCD City.

Seriously though, does 32,000 qualify you as a city?

Though the ladies team in called Dundalk City we are not a city... I don't know why they are called that.. :confused:

ndrog
07/12/2005, 11:15 PM
Because you lot where getting ahead of yourselves a few years ago and thought you were gonna become a city.And Drogheda is bigger than Dundalk and my dad would batter your dad and my car goes faster than yours etc etc etc etc.:rolleyes:

dcfcsteve
07/12/2005, 11:20 PM
Interesting... I stand corrected so!

The most recent census reports are available online (http://www.cso.ie/census/Census2002Results.htm) - volume 1 table 5 shows Drogheda to have just passed out Dundalk in terms of town population, though Dundalk's rural population makes it far bigger overall.

You become a city I think by charter? Don't know how you go about this, but there's certainly no clear cut population barrier.

We had this city debate thing a few months back.

Basically - different countries have different ways of anointing City status. In Ireland and Britain City-status is granted. I'm not sure who grants them in Ireland, but in Britain it's via a Royal Charter.

There's plenty of urban myths about various supposed requirements to become a city - certain size of population, a University, a cathedral etc. All are ******. It's basically down to being anointed a City by the authority that has that legal power.

Aberdonian Stu
08/12/2005, 11:44 AM
The size thing isn't an urban myth. It's EU related. It's why Kilkenny was threatened with losing status.

As for Dun Laoghaire it was technically a borough, then it became part of a 'county' remarkably similar in size and shape. In previous censi it has been noted as a town (I'm talking before the last two, on which I have no info).

pete
08/12/2005, 12:35 PM
AFAIK the Queen gave all the Citys their status in Ireland which may explain why not been a city granted for long time. What did Kilkenny do to please the Queen to get its status? ;)

pineapple stu
08/12/2005, 12:45 PM
The size thing isn't an urban myth. It's EU related. It's why Kilkenny was threatened with losing status.
Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City) notes that "There is no one standard international definition of a city" and that in the UK, a city is made so by royal charter "which is normally granted on the basis of size, importance or royal connection (traditional pointers have been whether the town has a cathedral or a university)."

There are surely smaller cities in Ireland than Kilkenny anyway? The likes of Newry and Armagh or others in the North, for example?

bluemovie
08/12/2005, 12:53 PM
You'd know it was the close season when people are reduced to discussing the census. The lack of football is really starting to kick in already. I'd love to be going to a game tomorrow night. Three more months.

dcfcsteve
08/12/2005, 2:17 PM

Simply not true. The smallest City in Britain is Wells in Somerset - population 15,000.

The EU doesn't give a feck about the size of cities, and certainly isn't in the business of forcefully stripping city or town status off anyone.

Are you going to roll-out that EU-knocking urban myth about the required curviture of bananas next......? :p

dcfcsteve
08/12/2005, 2:21 PM
Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City) notes that "There is no one standard international definition of a city" and that in the UK, a city is made so by royal charter "which is normally granted on the basis of size, importance or royal connection (traditional pointers have been whether the town has a cathedral or a university)."

There are surely smaller cities in Ireland than Kilkenny anyway? The likes of Newry and Armagh or others in the North, for example?

There are 5 cities in the north (in order of size) : Belfast, Derry, Lisburn, Armagh, Newry. I've no idea how big Kilkenny is, so can't give a comparison, but wouldn't surprise me if Newry was smaller.

The last 3 are very recent additions - Newry and Lisburn being added for the millenium. Lisburn, which is essentially a glorified suburb of Belfast, was only added to act as a balance to nominating a nationalist town like Newry. Ridiculous....

From memory Armagh got formal city status in the 1980-90's.

Aberdonian Stu
08/12/2005, 3:21 PM
Oh God knows. I believe all cities in Ireland were granted said status by a monarch however their are now other ways for municipalities to gain city status the primary one is reaching criteria laid out by the EU. The only criterion I recall is population but I believe there are other.

Aberdonian Stu
08/12/2005, 3:27 PM
Simply not true. The smallest City in Britain is Wells in Somerset - population 15,000.

The EU doesn't give a feck about the size of cities, and certainly isn't in the business of forcefully stripping city or town status off anyone.

Are you going to roll-out that EU-knocking urban myth about the required curviture of bananas next......? :p

I normally don't quote entire posts but in this case it is relevant. Firstly this is not an 'EU-knocking' myth. For starters anyone who has followed my posts knows that I'm pro-Europe.

Secondly there was a big deal over Kilkenny's city status circa 2001 because of an EU-related assessment which initially reported it as having less than the required number of inhabitants (possibly less than Wells). The initial assessment didn't give a fair approximation of the city's boundaries and was in fact later found to have over 30,000 folk living within the technical boundary.

To the best of my knowledge no city, anywhere, has ever been stripped of it's status by the EU. The only loss of status I know of on this island was Armagh which later regained its status by charter.

pineapple stu
08/12/2005, 7:57 PM
The smallest City in Britain is Wells in Somerset - population 15,000.
Actually, it appears to be St David's in Wales - population 1600.