PDA

View Full Version : Why can't Shelbourne keep fans off the pitch?

GavinZac
06/12/2005, 2:21 PM
everytime i've been there, (ok, 3 times, but still, i've seen it on tv and other have agreed with me) there have been people running on the pitch either during or after the match. do they not get fined?

now, i'm not saying it wasnt entertaining when 30 or so little gobshítes run in front of us giving us the finger, etc. to celebrate a momentous draw, only to be reminded that they're not champions any more. i'm just curious, do ye pay your stewards no?

sfc red
06/12/2005, 2:23 PM
Agree with ALL of that. And you'll find all Shels fans do

Rover 2 U
06/12/2005, 2:23 PM
cause their mammy's tell them to play on the grass and not on the road! :D

Drumcondra Red
06/12/2005, 2:40 PM
everytime i've been there, (ok, 3 times, but still, i've seen it on tv and other have agreed with me) there have been people running on the pitch either during or after the match. do they not get fined?

now, i'm not saying it wasnt entertaining when 30 or so little gobshítes run in front of us giving us the finger, etc. to celebrate a momentous draw, only to be reminded that they're not champions any more. i'm just curious, do ye pay your stewards no?

Get over it, young kids run on because they like to say they've been on the pitch, its a very hard stadium to steward in, but yes, it would be better if they stayed off!!!

30 or so little gobshytes giving the finger??? What about the amount of Cork fans on the pitch that day??? What about the 5 or 6 have a go hero's trying to get down to the new stand where we were taking down flags, why did Rico have to tell them to f*** off??? Why indeed GavinZac

GavinZac
06/12/2005, 2:44 PM
Get over it, young kids run on because they like to say they've been on the pitch,
its just the bloody rules :confused: don't you get fined for fans running on the pitch?

its a very hard stadium to steward in
how is harder than any other ground in the country?

30 or so little gobshytes giving the finger??? What about the amount of Cork fans on the pitch that day???
i saw 3 or 4 who went on a few minutes after the game, presumably because they thought it was ok because shels fans were out there? and there was a lot more than 30 on the pitch but it was mainly the kiddies (and a few daddies :rolleyes: ) running over to us.

What about the 5 or 6 have a go hero's trying to get down to the new stand where we were taking down flags, why did Rico have to tell them to f*** off??? Why indeed GavinZac
enlighten me, i dont know what you're on about.

Gareth
06/12/2005, 2:48 PM
There is a certain mentality amoungst some posters here to go on the all out assault on a valid point raised. I think a simple mesh like operated in Dalymount would sort the problem out and maybe fill in the broken walls around the pitch. The gap under the rail around should possibly be filled in. As a Shels fan, I think its ridiculous as it happens too often. And the kids are obnoxious too.

GavinZac
06/12/2005, 3:00 PM
I think a simple mesh like operated in Dalymount would sort the problem out and maybe fill in the broken walls around the pitch. The gap under the rail around should possibly be filled in.

surely none of that will make a difference unless the stewarding improves?

EnDai
06/12/2005, 3:44 PM
There was a load of Cork fans on the pitch after the final whistle, but theat comes back to the original point - inadequate stewarding/facilities/etc. The guards stood there staring at me blankly when I politely questioned from the front of the New Stand what they planned on doing about the people on the pitch. People were hopping the barrier beside the guards, who stood there and looked confused.

MrJoeSoap
06/12/2005, 3:46 PM
surely none of that will make a difference unless the stewarding improves?

I don't think the stewarding could really "improve" as such, the only possible other solution would be increased man-power which isn't cheap. The wire mesh solution isn't a bad one, it will certainly stop the small kids getting on, leaving a smaller number for stewards to deal with.

Its not a serious problem, tbh, but it costs us and could be rectified quite easily I reckon.

tiktok
06/12/2005, 3:52 PM
There was a load of Cork fans on the pitch after the final whistle, but theat comes back to the original point - inadequate stewarding/facilities/etc.

In fairness EnDai, I know the vast majority of Shels' fans acknowledge it, but it's every game, the day will come when even I'm going to take a short cut to my car straight across the Tolka pitch too, if the stewards can't control your own fans, no fan of another club will have respect for them.

The only time I've ever run on a pitch was a few weeks back when we won the league, but I 'police' myself, I wouldn't go on a pitch because I know the hassle groundsmen up and down the country go to keeping them right.

It'll cause long term hassle for you, As Gareth said, the mesh in Dalymount would work fine and it's inexpensive.

Drumcondra Red
06/12/2005, 3:53 PM
enlighten me, i dont know what you're on about.

How convenient! :rolleyes:

Its tougher to steward because of the way the rails are and because its over a lot wider area then anybody else, the mesh idea is best but its been suggested and implemented before (European games) but the gaps remained open, the obvious suggestion is to invest in more stewards, but not hired goons!

The Gardaí seem to think that they're only there for a laugh, and security companies think they're there to keep a lookout for Rovers fans! Its a joke on both counts! :mad:

EnDai
06/12/2005, 4:04 PM
In fairness EnDai, I know the vast majority of Shels' fans acknowledge it, but it's every game, the day will come when even I'm going to take a short cut to my car straight across the Tolka pitch too, if the stewards can't control your own fans, no fan of another club will have respect for them.

The only time I've ever run on a pitch was a few weeks back when we won the league, but I 'police' myself, I wouldn't go on a pitch because I know the hassle groundsmen up and down the country go to keeping them right.

It'll cause long term hassle for you, As Gareth said, the mesh in Dalymount would work fine and it's inexpensive.
You're exactly right. I just pointed out about Cork fans to GavinZac. Agree with everything you say tbh, a man of wise words. Lol.

Gareth
06/12/2005, 4:11 PM
In reply to GavinZac asking about surely it makes no difference unless you improve stewarding. The Mesh is improving Stewarding as lifting up a large mesh will actually give them a job to do other than lazily walking after kids they can't remove physically for fear of legal action. the Mesh would require possibly five stewards at each end and maybe 10 on the sides. Volunteers can do it. The problem is the wall round tolka is very low and 3 years olds could hop it :) Back to the days of the cage around tolka :)

tiktok
06/12/2005, 4:18 PM
Back to the days of the cage around tolka :)

You have no idea how tempting the jokes are Gareth :D :D

NY Hoop
06/12/2005, 4:19 PM
Anyone ever been to a Seria A game?

Over there they have these see through dividers not dissimilar to what you see at certain bus shelters here. You cant break, smash or burn them.

Put these up and you wipe out ALL pitch invasions. Naturally the cost is something to look into..........

KOH

Gareth
06/12/2005, 4:20 PM
:D I can still see kids dumb enough to try break them. Picture kid bouncing 10 feet back after running against it. Probably against rules in case of crushing in stadiums in Ireland seeing as we have such small grounds.

monkey magic
06/12/2005, 4:22 PM
how about just building a creche??

tiktok
06/12/2005, 4:26 PM
how about just building a creche??

Play Nice MM. Flancare isn't that bad in fairness :D

NY Hoop
06/12/2005, 4:27 PM
:D I can still see kids dumb enough to try break them. Picture kid bouncing 10 feet back after running against it. Probably against rules in case of crushing in stadiums in Ireland seeing as we have such small grounds.

Crushing? Are you serious? You have 9,500 seats and fill 10% of them for most of your games.

They are allowed as long as there is access to the pitch so put them up but keep the gates. IMO they should have kept the fences in tolka, dalymount and oriel.

KOH

pete
06/12/2005, 4:27 PM
Tolka usually has half the ground closed but still the stewards are unable or unwilling to do anything. I don't see as a serious problem but the league needs to enforce rules fairly on all grounds.

I think Cork City ensure that all u-12s are accompanied which certainly helps as well as independent "professional" security. In my experience its rare that a warning is announced at the game.

Raheny Red
06/12/2005, 4:34 PM
I'm sorry but this has to be said;

"kids will be kids".

I know they should be stopped. But look at it this way:

Steward sees Little Johny trying to climb the fence onto the pitch.
Steward tries to prevent Little Johny from getting onto the pitch.
Little Johny falls, hurts himself.
Steward..................FCúKED.

Gareth
06/12/2005, 4:38 PM
Crushing? Are you serious? You have 9,500 seats and fill 10% of them for most of your games.

They are allowed as long as there is access to the pitch so put them up but keep the gates. IMO they should have kept the fences in tolka, dalymount and oriel.

KOH
Ny Hoop, safety rules are not in place for 10% filled stadiums but on the basis of a capacity crowd. Hence why I said crushing.

And in response to the Kids will be Kids, Kids are little nightmares these days and the kids on the pitch in tolka are cheeky feckers.

A face
06/12/2005, 6:53 PM
Over there they have these see through dividers not dissimilar to what you see at certain bus shelters here. You cant break, smash or burn them.

Put these up and you wipe out ALL pitch invasions. Naturally the cost is something to look into

But why incur the cost when stewards are paid for already ??

The stewards should do a better job, if then that doesn't work, look at another measure, but surely right now it is a waste of money having stewards stand there doing nothing ...... if you were to ask any steward what their job actually is, what answer would they give ?? ....,. and consider there are possible fines for pitch invasions. It is something they should be looking at.

EnDai .... you said there were Cork fans on the pitch after the game ?? Are you serious about that ?? ..... to the best of my knowledge, there were none ... our event controller is at all the away games.

Drumcondra Red
06/12/2005, 7:13 PM
A face, our stewards are voluntary!

Yes there were a few Cork fans on the pitch

A face
06/12/2005, 7:21 PM

Sorry ... didn't realise that !!

EnDai
06/12/2005, 7:24 PM
Aye, there was a fair few got on and started walking towards the New Stand. Kept their distance but they were on the pitch. But it all comes back to the same point, if there was proper stuff in place they couldn't get onto the pitch...!

sfc red
06/12/2005, 10:10 PM

The wise words of by far the most unbiased, intelligent poster across all the EL forums.:ball:

Réiteoir
06/12/2005, 11:09 PM
Sorry - when was the game(s) in question in the first post played?

I thought the season ended 2 and a half weeks ago?

Or is this dragging up old ground just to have a pop at people just for the hell of it?

I thought this subject was debated and closed off last month?

What next - threads on sausages, nuts, Ollie having a pop at photographers, pitch painting, ground sales and theft of shoes?

A face
06/12/2005, 11:34 PM
Or is this dragging up old ground just to have a pop at people just for the hell of it?

Are you being serious ??

Sam Savic
06/12/2005, 11:52 PM
Shels employ "professional" stewards. They don't just use voluntary ones. The problem is that Ollie is too mean and won't pay for sufficient stewarding. The point about it being only children is a nonsense. Rovers probably have more children going to games than any other Dublin club and pitch incursions are rare. Also, in Ireland it is not an offense to go onto the pitch so the Gardai on duty at a match tend not to get involved.

A face
06/12/2005, 11:59 PM
Shels employ "professional" stewards. They don't just use voluntary ones. The problem is that Ollie is too mean and won't pay for sufficient stewarding.

A small bit of indifference there i'd say ..... Gareth, Slash ... anyone know what the story is ??

tiktok
07/12/2005, 6:42 AM

Just to throw a cat amongst the pigeons here, but isn't that against the Licensing rules? I thought you had to have professional stewarding at your games.

Gareth
07/12/2005, 8:40 AM
To be honest I personally thought that there was a group of stewards/security hired for the occassion and that was complimented by a number of volunteers. I will be sure and find out.

Drumcondra Red
07/12/2005, 8:52 AM
Thats what I would have thought, unless the paid lads are out on the road, which in turn would be withen licencing laws.

A face, the stewards you see in tolka park, unless its a big game are voluntary, for a big match one of those shítty security groups come in and ruin everyones night!!! Also there is often more Gardaí in tolka which may also come under paid security????

It písses me off as well when this happens at the end of the games, so don't think I'm defending it!!!

EireBadBoy
07/12/2005, 10:42 AM
Pitch invasions used to be a nightmare at the end of every game at The Brandywell, Derry have recieved fines for it. Thankfully a concerted effort by the Stewards aided by the fans has (please don't let me put the blight on it) stopped invading 'kids'.
At the end of the day 'kids' aren't our responsibility unless we bring them but if we can help the club out by policing them a bit then we should - some of them are a nightmare though.
As for that pish about if a steward goes to stop a kid and the kid falls the steward if fooked, thats rubbish. A reverse case in court wouldn't be long in getting the wee scrote to change their mind.

Raheny Red
07/12/2005, 11:15 AM
BOTH voluntary and "professionals" are used for the matchdays in Tolka. The volunteers are just fans who wanna give a hand.

As far as I am aware these volunteers offered to do this a couple of seasons back after the flood of Tolka. They offered to do this as most of the money was spent repairing the damage and therefore not alot of money could be spent for "professional" stewards to be hired.

I'm not 100% aware of this matter so if I am wrong someone please correct me.

Drumcondra Red
07/12/2005, 3:24 PM
Nah, there's always been voluntary stewards at tolka

pete
07/12/2005, 3:46 PM
Nah, there's always been voluntary stewards at tolka

Yeah some of those 50 year old guys been waering the same bib since they were 18. :eek:

Drumcondra Red
07/12/2005, 3:58 PM
Probably!!! :D

tbh though up until last season, we used to even bring our own stewards to Dalyer, and some Dublin teams would bring stewards to tolka, don't know if this still happens???

gufcfan
07/12/2005, 4:16 PM
The walls as yee might have seen n galway are 2 foot high around the pitch.

It used to be a problem with kids and big kids using it as a shortcut to get out quickly. They seem to have solved the problem tho.

Plenty of stewards along the sideline. Mind you i misd the whole second half of the season, but it was working before that

ConfusedBlue
09/12/2005, 9:48 AM
I think Cork City ensure that all u-12s are accompanied which certainly helps as well as independent "professional" security.

Yeah right because they're asked at the ticket booth for ID and if u-12 and unaccompanied by an adult are then refused admission.Get real will you!!!!

Drumcondra Red
09/12/2005, 9:49 AM
Yeah Pete, thats simply not true!

A face
09/12/2005, 3:51 PM
Yeah right because they're asked at the ticket booth for ID and if u-12 and unaccompanied by an adult are then refused admission.Get real will you!!!!

Ah that is the case ... kids were asked if they were with an adult. The problem stemmed form parents driving up to the cross and opening the doors of the cars, a load of kids pour out and then the parent drives off. CCFC were basically babysitting for the night.
The family enclosure sponsored by The Echo and the stewards have worked really hard in the last few years to turn it around. They have been successful too, you wont stop it 100% but at least they have turned it around.