PDA

View Full Version : Search CIA planes in Shannon?

Shelsman
06/12/2005, 12:49 PM
Should Gardai search CIA planes in Shannon for prisoners / human rights violations?

( For those who have been following the news or who saw Questions & Answers last night ).

Block G Raptor
06/12/2005, 12:53 PM
Abso Feckin Loutly
they shouldn't be there whether they are violating human rights or not
bertie will be left with egg on his face (not to mention blood on his hands) when some crack pot extremist decides we are a legitimate target.
I'm not one of these do goody anti war campaigners but I am dead against helping that meglomaniac in the whitehouse in any way shape or form

Peadar
06/12/2005, 12:56 PM
Yes search the planes because the Americans can't be trusted but don't let Amnesty Interfering tell us what to do either.

Rover 2 U
06/12/2005, 12:58 PM
Should Gardai search CIA planes in Shannon for prisoners / human rights violations?

Planes? What Planes? Prisoners? Prisoners you say? Good god man, I think you're delirious. Sure there are no planes or prisoners at all in Shannon! :eek:

Anto McC
06/12/2005, 1:15 PM
No,it's none of our buisness and we dont want the kinda of trouble we'll get if we do find something we shouldnt!

Macy
06/12/2005, 1:16 PM
Seeing as they shouldn't be let land in the first place, searching them is the least we can do. Prisioners, banned chemical weapons, etc etc.

pete
06/12/2005, 4:02 PM
I voted yes but are we entitled to search a foreign government plane thats just refueling?

I wouldn't trust the US government as they are proven to play with subtleties of language in the past.

When my grandfather was in the army he used to have job of checking USSR planes when they landed in Shannon for nukes - he just walked past with gigacounter :)

Bald Student
06/12/2005, 5:07 PM
I don't know what searching the planes would achieve. If they find a prisoner on the plane how do the gardas know if he's on his way to be tortured or not?

Risteard
06/12/2005, 7:17 PM
I don't know what searching the planes would achieve. If they find a prisoner on the plane how do the gardas know if he's on his way to be tortured or not?
From what i know, they're not permitted to have prisoners on board at all.

hamish
06/12/2005, 10:17 PM
Yes search the planes because the Americans can't be trusted but don't let Amnesty Interfering tell us what to do either.

FFS

I'm a member of Amnesty, Peadar and they fight for the rights of prisoners in ALL countries.........inlcuding US prisoners in foreign goals.

Thank God they exist.

God forbid, but if you ever find yourself in certain Asian countries and tossed in to a jail under false alligations, yeah, the Irish government might raise their arses to help you but Amnesty will stick by you, fund-raise for lawyers for you and get your situation a high profile internationally so that ALL governments cannot ignore your plight.

Do you think this woman would even be alive if it wasn't for Amnesty and other organisations/people of good will fighting her cause?
http://www.angelfire.com/al/homepageas/ASSKtour.html

First Unions and now Amnesty:rolleyes:

Jesus, Peadar.:( :(

BTW folks, drop in to Amnesty's shop before Christmas.

Loads of FAIR TRADE products on offer. Help support the peoples in developing countries build up their business and local infrastructure before the new far-righters do even more damage.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/story/1032690.html

http://store.amnesty.ie/shops/shops.htm

The Darjeeling Tea from Amnesty in particular is gorgeous and lads, why not buy a beautiful sarong for your other half. Bubbles has three which she wears during the summer (not all at the same time of course) and she finds them brilliant and they have great ventilation - seriously - ideal for hot Summer weather. They have lovely designs on 'em and are much sensual than poxy little mini skirts. Worth going to the Cambridge Folk Festival alone for.
You can also get beautiful tops with the most awesome designs and things. Magic and utterly femine.

Here's a good example.

http://www.alohafunwear.com/gallery/photoshoots/jun02/sarong.jpg

Isn't this absolutely beautiful?

If youMUST have mini-skirts, here's a sarong version.
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/1worldsarongs/noraganesha7a.jpg

Now, lads there are all your Christmas presents problems solved and you're doing good at the same time.

hamish
06/12/2005, 10:33 PM
Abso Feckin Loutly
they shouldn't be there whether they are violating human rights or not
bertie will be left with egg on his face (not to mention blood on his hands) when some crack pot extremist decides we are a legitimate target.
I'm not one of these do goody anti war campaigners but I am dead against helping that meglomaniac in the whitehouse in any way shape or form

Any country that allows it's air-space and airports to move suspected terrorists to places where "coercive interrogation" is allowed is equally guilty IMHO as the US.

"Rendition" is another of these disgusting euphemisms that the US uses to drop suspected terrorists abroad for "coercive interrogation" (euphemism for torture and "torture-light") in the so-called "war" on terror.

Euphemisms right down there with obscenities like "collateral damage".
I was never a worshipper at the altar of Slick Willy but President Chimpy McFlightsuit and his cronies must be one of the most disgusting, corrupt bunch of slime-balls that ever occupied government in that country.

We know BTW the Bertie and co. will do phuck all to bother the US on anything.

Anyone notice the "fcuk you" attitude by Condoleeza Rice to Dermot Aherne a few days ago when he asked about these flights.

I pray that Patrick Fitzgerald brings these pond-lifers to book and roots the fcukin' lot of them from office.:mad:

Green Tribe
06/12/2005, 10:54 PM
Hamish for Taoiseach! :D That would be class!

RedX
07/12/2005, 12:04 AM
Anyone notice the "fcuk you" attitude by Condoleeza Rice to Dermot Aherne a few days ago when he asked about these flights.

Condoleeza Rice is one seriously tough lady...she came out with that "fcuk you" attitude in various interviews over the last few days...it just goes back to the 9/11 attitude again...you are either "with us or against us" she says..in other words she says "we are guilty of what you are claiming"..

I think in a perfect world we should check the planes and make sure everything is above board...but the problem in the real world is can Ireland afford to create a problem with the USA on these issues?..lets be real in fairness....

hamish
07/12/2005, 12:30 AM
Condoleeza Rice is one seriously tough lady...she came out with that "fcuk you" attitude in various interviews over the last few days...it just goes back to the 9/11 attitude again...you are either "with us or against us" she says..in other words she says "we are guilty of what you are claiming"..

I think in a perfect world we should check the planes and make sure everything is above board...but the problem in the real world is can Ireland afford to create a problem with the USA on these issues?..lets be real in fairness....

True very true RedX - that's why I said that Bertie and co. will do sweet FA. Remember, a week or so ago, the US Ambassador ticking us off on sililar matters? We don't count to the US and Bertie and co. know that.

During the Katrina horror, Rice was buying three thousand dollar pairs of shoes in NY.

When an African American lady politely asked her why she wasn't concerned and down in NO, she had the woman physically fcuked out of the store and the place sealed off while she continued shopping. She's a sell out, a disappointment in both regime positions she's occupied and has said that she never really related to the civil rights troubles in the 60s when she was a young woman. Nowadays, of course, re. that situation she pays the usual lip service about the rights of African Americans. Fcuking fraud.

What is it about either Irish, African Americans or ANY ethnic/social groupings
anywhere? Soon as some of us/them get a few rungs up the social or political or business ladder there's a disengagement from their/our people and the problems they suffer.

Rice is a fcuking sellout ...an Aunty Tom so to speak:(

hamish
07/12/2005, 12:34 AM
Hamish for Taoiseach! That would be class!

I know you jest but isn't the country in a mess enough already??:eek: :D LOL
Anyway, I vote Green Party. I'd love to see them become a power broker like the PDs. looks at the benefits the relatively smallish Green Party (Petra Kelly and co) did for Germany regarding environmental laws etc.

Small can be beautiful and effective.

Vote Green Party.

Block G Raptor
07/12/2005, 8:40 AM
I know you jest but isn't the country in a mess enough already??:eek: :D LOL
Anyway, I vote Green Party. I'd love to see them become a power broker like the PDs. looks at the benefits the relatively smallish Green Party (Petra Kelly and co) did for Germany regarding environmental laws etc.

Small can be beautiful and effective.

Vote Green Party.

Can I expand on your point there Hamish
a greens/sinn fein coalition of the willing(excuse the pun)
would really put the shytes up bertie, mcdowell and co.
Sinn Fein #1
Greens #2
fcuk the same old same old party

hamish
07/12/2005, 10:06 AM
Can I expand on your point there Hamish
a greens/sinn fein coalition of the willing(excuse the pun)
would really put the shytes up bertie, mcdowell and co.
Sinn Fein #1
Greens #2
fcuk the same old same old party

Don't know if the Greens would boogey with SF though?? BGR.

Can see bugger all difference between FF, PD and FG either.

Not too keen on the Shinners TBH, no offence, lotta baggage there still.:)

Block G Raptor
07/12/2005, 10:17 AM
Don't know if the Greens would boogey with SF though?? BGR.

Can see bugger all difference between FF, PD and FG either.

No the baggage is buried below a few tons of concrete now
and a member of staff from Ni bank was charged with conspiracy to rob the bank This Morning which weakens McDowells case that it was a PIRA operation(any truth in the rumour that derry city are signing ronaldinho and rooney next season:D )

Lim till i die
07/12/2005, 10:22 AM
Vote Green Party.

Anywhere where the Greens do manage to get into power (Germany being quite a good example) they quickly abandon their more radical policies and settle down to cosy politics. They're not to be trusted to protect the working man either, some of their economic and tax ideas border on lunacy.

Also, I've generally found Amnesty International to be a group of loud, publicity seeking hypocrites with too much free time who cry rivers over lots of stuff which has absolutely nothing to do with them while ignoring other issues when it suits. (I'm also always going to be very suspicious of any group which claims arch-Hypocrite Sean McBride as a founder member)

Anyway back on topic, preferably I wouldn't have American planes in our airspace but seeing as bertie has us stuck with them then they should definitely be searched. We all know from history just how much the Americans word is worth.

hamish
07/12/2005, 10:37 AM
No the baggage is buried below a few tons of concrete now
and a member of staff from Ni bank was charged with conspiracy to rob the bank This Morning which weakens McDowells case that it was a PIRA operation(any truth in the rumour that derry city are signing ronaldinho and rooney next season:D )

LMAO - fair play to you BGR - you alwys raise the old spirits - even on a poxy, wet, cold morning like this. brrrrrrrr

Kinda on the same subject - here's a video of Rice and Powell in 2001 regarding the WMDs.

It's damning and should have been up on evry US TV newtwork over the past few weeks since this controversy has restarted. Saw this on ITN last year. It's only a short piece. Click and watch.

http://www.thememoryhole.org/war/powell-no-wmd.htm

Interesting article about "Freedom Dust" in yesterday's Guardian G2 section by Marina Hyde.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Columnists/Column/0,,1659295,00.html

hamish
07/12/2005, 10:46 AM
Anywhere where the Greens do manage to get into power (Germany being quite a good example) they quickly abandon their more radical policies and settle down to cosy politics. They're not to be trusted to protect the working man either, some of their economic and tax ideas border on lunacy.

Also, I've generally found Amnesty International to be a group of loud, publicity seeking hypocrites with too much free time who cry rivers over lots of stuff which has absolutely nothing to do with them while ignoring other issues when it suits. (I'm also always going to be very suspicious of any group which claims arch-Hypocrite Sean McBride as a founder member)

Anyway back on topic, preferably I wouldn't have American planes in our airspace but seeing as bertie has us stuck with them then they should definitely be searched. We all know from history just how much the Americans word is worth.

Give sources please for first two paragraphs to back that up, lim till I die. Jesus, we're not all Chardonnay quiffing middle class D4 liberals, you know (says Hamish defensively LOL)

Why shouldn't Amnesty publicise their efforts??? :confused:
Where is the hypocricy in calling for justice/release of political prisoners in Burma, Indonesia, Uzbeckistan and so on?
Jesus, I'm sure Nelson Mandela was pleased for the support those so-called hypocrites gave him.
There are many people rotting in jails throughout this planet and many who wouldn't know about them and do fcuk all about their plight - except for Amnesty.

Bringing it closer to home, here's a case of an Irishman fcuked in to a Moroccan hell hole. Has anyone heard Bertie or Dermot Aherne mentioning anything about this guy. I already have had information from Amnesty about this chap.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20051030/news_1m30squilla.html

Fact is - if Amnesty and Human Rights Watch weren't shouting and campaigning about Mandela, Biko etc no government(s) would give a flying fcuk about their plight.

http://www.africa.upenn.edu/Govern_Political/mand_amn.html

Block G Raptor
07/12/2005, 11:07 AM
LMAO - fair play to you BGR - you alwys raise the old spirits - even on a poxy, wet, cold morning like this. brrrrrrrr

Kinda on the same subject - here's a video of Rice and Powell in 2001 regarding the WMDs.

It's damning and should have been up on evry US TV newtwork over the past few weeks since this controversy has restarted. Saw this on ITN last year. It's only a short piece. Click and watch.

Interesting article about "Freedom Dust" in yesterday's Guardian G2 section by Marina Hyde.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Columnists/Column/0,,1659295,00.html

I do Try

Freedom Dust hummmmm ! what next hey I know freedom nukes they free thousands from this mortal coil
bush should be in the dock alongside hussien

hamish
07/12/2005, 11:30 AM
I do Try

Freedom Dust hummmmm ! what next hey I know freedom nukes they free thousands from this mortal coil
bush should be in the dock alongside hussien

Cheers BGR.

There's a feeling that The Ultimate Pr!ick, Dick Cheney, might be up the creek for war crimes. That's the dipsh!t that dodged Vietnam FIVE TIMES - he said that he had other priorities.

Every one of those pukes dodged either Vietnam and Gulf War1 - no problem sending young men and women to "Iraqnam" - all on a pack of lies and twisted "evidence".

Right on there, amigo, here's a picture of one of the two times Rumsfeldt shook hands with Saddam - about the time the tyrant was using WMDs - and when Rummy and friends were supplying them to him along with Germany and others.

http://michael.ellerman.id.au/misc/Rumsfeld-Saddam.jpg

http://willowpondlane.com/blather/images/rumsfeld-saddam.jpg

(Same meeting, two photos actually)

To give an idea of the type of hypocrital dipsh!t Bush is, here are two quotes by Chimpy McFlightsuit and both given SIX MONTHS apart

"The most important thing is for us to find Osama bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him." —Washington, D.C., Sept. 13, 2001

6 short months later........

"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority." —Washington, D.C., March 13, 2002

Bertie is a cute hoor as they say but even he hasn't reached the sludge levels that the Bubble Boy wallows in. They would just laugh at him and shaft us at earliest opportunity.:mad:

REVIP
07/12/2005, 11:57 AM
Can't believe that any of Bush's people would ever be made amenable for as much as a parking ticket. The rules get made up as they go along.

It's a pity that Professor Robert Alford died. He's the guy who showed how the spotlight was shifted from bin Laden, whom they couldn't catch, to Saddam, just as the Enron scandal and corporate corruption was filling the papers. Alford is quoted in his obituary as saying:

"The case of Enron, and subsequent corporate bankruptcies and scandals, is an example of the systematic falsification of information, or (to reverse it) the production of misinformation. What is striking is how little this phenomenon is recognized, let alone explained or theorized, in all of the theories of information that we have examined." He went on to analyze the way in which the crisis in Iraq diverted media attention from the administration’s circumstantial connection to the corporate scandals.

I remember reading Umberto Eco's 'The Name of the Rose' and thinking how awful it must have been to have lived through the times of lies and corruption in the Middle Ages. I'm beginning to think times haven't changed!

ThatGuy
07/12/2005, 12:23 PM
:confused:
No,it's none of our buisness and we dont want the kinda of trouble we'll get if we do find something we shouldnt!
Well I think it is our business, but like you say we would be asking for trouble if we did this.

ThatGuy
07/12/2005, 12:25 PM

Well said RedX.

Shelsman
07/12/2005, 12:43 PM
I voted yes but are we entitled to search a foreign government plane thats just refueling?

Good Question. If not, then make sure they are only refuelling and they don't stop for a cup of tea -if they do, spit in it!

I wouldn't trust the US government as they are proven to play with subtleties of language in the past.

Time for to call Captain Rico.

RICO! RICO! RICO!

When my grandfather was in the army he used to have job of checking USSR planes when they landed in Shannon for nukes - he just walked past with gigacounter :)

Cool. I presume they still do this? Give the pilots a cavity search too -that'll stop them!

Block G Raptor
07/12/2005, 12:43 PM
:confused:
Well I think it is our business, but like you say we would be asking for trouble if we did this.
Yes but the w@nks er sorry yanks are not likely to put suicide bombers on the dart if we start searching planes their enemieshowever are a different kettle of fish

Shelsman
07/12/2005, 12:44 PM

True, but they could probably see if he HAS been tortured.

Any country that allows it's air-space and airports to move suspected terrorists to places where "coercive interrogation" is allowed is equally guilty IMHO as the US.

Yes, I think that this is true according to the Geneva Convention ( or some other one drawn up after the end of WWII ) -turning a blind eye makes you a guilty party.

The affairs of another country is none of our business then? What about the genocide in Rwanda -that was in another country, if you could roll back time would you not be happy to see that massacre prevented by other countries ( ourselves included ) ?
Just because people who are vicitms / abused / murdered are in a different country doesn't mean that other countries should stand by and watch ( IMO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ).

Rice is a fcuking sellout ...an Aunty Tom so to speak:(

This is a good opportunity for someone to tell me where the phrase 'Uncle Tom' came from?

Don't you mean Sinners?

Time for a joke:

President George W. Bush visits a primary school classroom. They are in the middle of a discussion about words and their meanings.

The teacher asks the President if he would like to lead the discussion on the word "tragedy". So, the illustrious leader asks the class for an example of a tragedy. One little boy stands up and offers:

"If my best friend, who lives on a farm, is playing in the field and a tractor runs him over and kills him that would be a 'tragedy'."

"No", says President Bush, "that would be an 'accident'."

A little girl raises her hand: "If a school bus carrying 50 children drove over a cliff, killing everyone inside, that would be a 'tragedy'."

"I'm afraid not," explains the President. "That's what we would call a 'great loss'."

The room goes silent. No other children volunteered. President Bush searches the room. "Isn't there someone here who can give me an example of a 'tragedy'?"

Finally, at the back of the room, a small boy raises his hand. In a quiet voice he says: "If Air Force One, carrying you, Mr President, were struck by a friendly fire missile and blown to smithereens, that would be a 'tragedy'."

"Fantastic!" exclaims Bush. "That's right. And now can you tell me why that would be a 'tragedy'?"

"Well, says the boy, because it certainly wouldn't be a 'great loss' and it
probably wouldn't be a f **king 'accident' either!"

:D

Block G Raptor
07/12/2005, 1:04 PM
Time for a joke:

President George W. Bush visits a primary school classroom. They are in the middle of a discussion about words and their meanings.

The teacher asks the President if he would like to lead the discussion on the word "tragedy". So, the illustrious leader asks the class for an example of a tragedy. One little boy stands up and offers:

"If my best friend, who lives on a farm, is playing in the field and a tractor runs him over and kills him that would be a 'tragedy'."

A little girl raises her hand: "If a school bus carrying 50 children drove over a cliff, killing everyone inside, that would be a 'tragedy'."

"I'm afraid not," explains the President. "That's what we would call a 'great loss'."

The room goes silent. No other children volunteered. President Bush searches the room. "Isn't there someone here who can give me an example of a 'tragedy'?"

Finally, at the back of the room, a small boy raises his hand. In a quiet voice he says: "If Air Force One, carrying you, Mr President, were struck by a friendly fire missile and blown to smithereens, that would be a 'tragedy'."

"Fantastic!" exclaims Bush. "That's right. And now can you tell me why that would be a 'tragedy'?"

RFLMFAO absoloutely brilliant

hamish
07/12/2005, 1:41 PM
Time for a joke:

That's a brilliant one allright Shelsman.

Here's a cartoon video of that joke with subtitles. Hope you
don't mind me loading it and spoiling things.

You'll hear the opening music - just scroll down a little bit to view flash cartoon.
(It's part of the infamous Little Johnny series - try and find the one about Little Johnny burying his goldfish too)

(Hope it loads in any case)

http://mediapickle.com/new/index.php?p=toon_template&id=91

This is a good opportunity for someone to tell me where the phrase 'Uncle Tom' came from?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Tom

Another derogatory term I've heard used - and possibly racism-based - is "coconut" - black on the outside, white on the inside.

pete
07/12/2005, 2:33 PM
BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4504292.stm)

More claims of kidnapping & torture by the CIA.

Does anyone really believe the US is not using Shannon to transport suspects they have kidnapped? Can their jets make it across the Atlantic onto eastern Europe without refueling?

:(

Block G Raptor
07/12/2005, 2:57 PM
Rice opening her trap again http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4505552.stm

hamish
07/12/2005, 3:04 PM
This sh!t is getting worse and worse.
Remember that row a week or so ago when some Muslim bloke alluded to Ireland's co-operation with the Yanks and being a possible target?

I feel that, with Al Qaeda spreading its tentacles everywhere in the planet, they're sussing out (what might be termed) "soft" targets.
I imagine the US Embassy would be one although its probably in a security zone we don't know about.
But Osama Bin Forgotten has also mentioned US firms, agencies, factories etc, hasn't he?
Do you guys (and gals) think we are under observation?
BTW, before anyone jumps in, this is NOT an indirect anti-Islam or anti-"immigrant" opinion. Bring in more here I say.
(From a personal point of view, I can tell you that we have loads of Muslim doctors here in Beeslow (Portiuncula) and quite a few of them have helped to make auld Hamish a lot better than he might have been.:D At least, when they're jabbing a syringe in your arse they're much gentler than the Irish doctors in Portiuncula who you'd think were using your hole for long-distance darts practise.:mad:)

Because of the Shannon stopover, do you folks think that there will be a terrorist attack on Irish soil?? :confused:

Block G Raptor
07/12/2005, 3:13 PM
This sh!t is getting worse and worse.
Remember that row a week or so ago when some Muslim bloke alluded to Ireland's co-operation with the Yanks and being a possible target?

I feel that, with Al Qaeda spreading its tentacles everywhere in the planet, they're sussing out (what might be termed) "soft" targets.
I imagine the US Embassy would be one although its probably in a security zone we don't know about.
But Osama Bin Forgotten has also mentioned US firms, agencies, factories etc, hasn't he?
Do you guys (and gals) think we are under observation?
BTW, before anyone jumps in, this is NOT an indirect anti-Islam or anti-"immigrant" opinion. Bring in more here I say.
(From a personal point of view, I can tell you that we have loads of Muslim doctors here in Beeslow (Portiuncula) and quite a few of them have helped to make auld Hamish a lot better than he might have been.:D At least, when they're jabbing a syringe in your arse they're much gentler than the Irish doctors in Portiuncula who you'd think were using your hole for long-distance darts practise.:mad:)

Because of the Shannon stopover, do you folks think that there will be a terrorist attack on Irish soil?? :confused:

I would say it is a deffo possibility
every time I see an asian with a ruck sack on the train i get an erie feeling (I dont mean this to sound racist or anything like that it is just how I feel as you just never know)

Metrostars
07/12/2005, 3:40 PM
Well you get what you vote for. Much like we're saddled with Bush over here, you are saddled with clueless Bertie. So much for being a "neutral" country.

their own muslim countries too so a bomb or two in Ireland is now big deal for them.

hamish
07/12/2005, 4:06 PM
Well you get what you vote for. Much like we're saddled with Bush over here, you are saddled with clueless Bertie. So much for being a "neutral" country

All too true, Metrostars, all too true.

Always vote Greens (stood in last election here) or independents myself. Local FF PD and FG TD's are woeful.......father passes seat onto offspring or some other relation - usual story. Labour don't feature that much in East Galway = now and again.

What's all that brouhaha about the Ohio vote last year.?

Lots of Dems saying it was a rigged affair????????? :confused:

Chimpy McFlightsuit will destroy the US the way he messed up Texas. The sheer arrogance towards the World community is staggering.

Metrostars
07/12/2005, 4:55 PM
All too true, Metrostars, all too true.

Always vote Greens (stood in last election here) or independents myself. Local FF PD and FG TD's are woeful.......father passes seat onto offspring or some other relation - usual story. Labour don't feature that much in East Galway = now and again.

What's all that brouhaha about the Ohio vote last year.?

Lots of Dems saying it was a rigged affair????????? :confused:

Chimpy McFlightsuit will destroy the US the way he messed up Texas. The sheer arrogance towards the World community is staggering.

As a former Galway West constituant, I used to vote for that crackpot Michael D. A bit off the wall but least he was different from the rest of them. Voted for Michael Badnaric of the Libertarian Party at the last US presidential election in the hopes of a third party rising. Not much of a chance of that happening though here.

As for the Ohio stuff, some of the Dems whackos were claiming that bucketfuls of votes here were not counted or incorrectly counted due to problems with the Diebold voting machines. I really dont think this was 100% true, just a few Dems would cant take much more of Bush. The whole thing boils down to having a poor candidate in Kerry and not having a good candidate with charisma such as Clinton.

hamish
07/12/2005, 5:22 PM
As a former Galway West constituant, I used to vote for that crackpot Michael D. A bit off the wall but least he was different from the rest of them. Voted for Michael Badnaric of the Libertarian Party at the last US presidential election in the hopes of a third party rising. Not much of a chance of that happening though here.

As for the Ohio stuff, some of the Dems whackos were claiming that bucketfuls of votes here were not counted or incorrectly counted due to problems with the Diebold voting machines. I really dont think this was 100% true, just a few Dems would cant take much more of Bush. The whole thing boils down to having a poor candidate in Kerry and not having a good candidate with charisma such as Clinton.

That's the thing I remember...the Diebold machines. Wasn't there something, though, about the different zones in Ohio?? Something to do with the organisation of voters on the day so that Republicans had greater access or something and Democrats had a limited number of machines availabe.

Dammit, I'm trying to remember the details but it did, even at the time, look like that some Democrats were clutching at straws, to put it mildly.

Kerry was such a disappointment wasn't he??? Remember, that "John Kery, reporting for duty" speech.:eek: Jesus, that was cringe-making.
I also thought he should have been more forceful with the Swift Boat Smear Merchants too.
His policies were all over the place in addition.

Metrostars
08/12/2005, 1:56 PM
That's the thing I remember...the Diebold machines. Wasn't there something, though, about the different zones in Ohio?? Something to do with the organisation of voters on the day so that Republicans had greater access or something and Democrats had a limited number of machines availabe.

Dammit, I'm trying to remember the details but it did, even at the time, look like that some Democrats were clutching at straws, to put it mildly.

Kerry was such a disappointment wasn't he??? Remember, that "John Kery, reporting for duty" speech.:eek: Jesus, that was cringe-making.
I also thought he should have been more forceful with the Swift Boat Smear Merchants too.
His policies were all over the place in addition.

The repubs made hay of his "voted for the war but then voted against it" comments. Very bad candidate indeed. They should have gone for someone like Lieberman who was at least consistant on the war. Dean was too much of a crackpot and still is. Gore, well, is still looking for his lockbox. Hil, is just biding her time for an '08 run.

John83
08/12/2005, 6:19 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Tom

Another derogatory term I've heard used - and possibly racism-based - is "coconut" - black on the outside, white on the inside.
Interestingly, Urban Dictionary (not an authorative really, but still interesting) gave this:

Theatrical productions of Uncle Tom's Cabin played throughout the nadir (post Civil War and Reconstruction); but since the novel's indictment of slavery was no longer congenial to an increasingly white society, rewrites changed Uncle Tom from a martyr who gave his life to protect the people into a sentimental dope who was loyal to kindly masters. In the black community, Uncle Tom eventually came to mean an African American who sells out his people's interests and still does today. In my opinion the phrase "uncle tom" should not be used today by black people because it degrades the status of a man who wasn't in fact a sell out but a hero who's name should be used with reverence not disgrace.
EDIT: It seems to be a matter of interpretation. The article referenced by Wikipedia gives a plot summary of Uncle Tom's Cabin.

Lim till i die
09/12/2005, 7:57 AM
Give sources please for first two paragraphs to back that up, lim till I die. Jesus, we're not all Chardonnay quiffing middle class D4 liberals, you know (says Hamish defensively LOL)

Why shouldn't Amnesty publicise their efforts???
Where is the hypocricy in calling for justice/release of political prisoners in Burma, Indonesia, Uzbeckistan and so on?
Jesus, I'm sure Nelson Mandela was pleased for the support those so-called hypocrites gave him.
There are many people rotting in jails throughout this planet and many who wouldn't know about them and do fcuk all about their plight - except for Amnesty.

Germany is my source for the Green Party

And don't get me started on Nelson Mandela :mad:

To think you called that Rice woman a sell-out ;) :eek:

hamish
09/12/2005, 10:33 AM
Germany is my source for the Green Party

And don't get me started on Nelson Mandela :mad:

To think you called that Rice woman a sell-out ;) :eek:

Nelson Mandela??? Whaa???

But what did they do in Germany though. TBH I only remember the late Petra Kelly and her work there.

Rice FFS. She's awful. Remember this? Lost all respect for her after that. Click for short video.