PDA

View Full Version : First Division Television

Lim till i die
06/12/2005, 11:18 AM
With the increased amount of coverage of the league on RTE and Setanta these days, just wondering if people think that with Shamrock Rovers relegated, the first division is worthy of having a game broadcast. I'm sure if the clubs involved were going well Limerick v Shamrock Rovers or Galway v Shamrock Rovers would be worth a look :confused:

NY Hoop
06/12/2005, 11:23 AM
With the increased amount of coverage of the league on RTE and Setanta these days, just wondering if people think that with Shamrock Rovers relegated, the first division is worthy of having a game broadcast. I'm sure if the clubs involved were going well Limerick v Shamrock Rovers or Galway v Shamrock Rovers would be worth a look :confused:

I admire your optimism! Absolutely no chance hopefully. People need to see what's good about our league which is the premier.

KOH

Block G Raptor
06/12/2005, 11:25 AM
Fair Play to you NY hoop I was expecting rovers fans to be posting here that they are the saviours of the first div and should be on every week
delighted to see you putting the league before your club alegiances if only there were more like you

Lim till i die
06/12/2005, 11:25 AM
I admire your optimism! Absolutely no chance hopefully. People need to see what's good about our league which is the premier.

KOH

Hey if I wasn't a raving optimist I'd have gone mad long ago :)

pete
06/12/2005, 3:49 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Setanta showed some Rovers home game. However a first division game from Santry isn't going to sell the league to anyone.

Conor H
06/12/2005, 3:57 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Setanta showed some Rovers home game. However a first division game from Santry isn't going to sell the league to anyone.
Well IMO if either of Galway,Limerick,Harps or Rovers occupied the top 2 places setanta would defenitely show the match.There would guarantee to be a ig crowd atmosphere etc and it would gain the 1st some publicity.

Red4Eva
06/12/2005, 4:05 PM
NO chance in hell i'd say. a galway-harps game could be entertaining next year but i doubt any1 cares

EnDai
06/12/2005, 4:07 PM

KOH
Good call. They may be more likely to show cup clashes involving say a premier and a first division club. Though I wouldn't mind seeing Rovers/Dundalk (or the reverse) on telly, probably be a very large crowd and hopefully good atmosphere - which is just as important in advertising the league as Paddy McCourts goals etc.

holidaysong
06/12/2005, 4:38 PM
Good call. They may be more likely to show cup clashes involving say a premier and a first division club. Though I wouldn't mind seeing Rovers/Dundalk (or the reverse) on telly, probably be a very large crowd and hopefully good atmosphere - which is just as important in advertising the league as Paddy McCourts goals etc.

Can't wait for the matches against Rovers. :)

NY Hoop
06/12/2005, 4:50 PM
Can't wait for the matches against Rovers. :)

I can wait

KOH

Red4Eva
06/12/2005, 5:00 PM
hopefully limerick,dundalk, harps&shams are all challenging to maximise attendances. all 4 could easily average 1000+

Passive
06/12/2005, 5:30 PM
delighted to see you putting the league before your club alegiances if only there were more like you

Sort of like all the Bohs fans who actually wanted Dublin City in the Premier ahead of Rovers. :rolleyes:

Finlay Harp
06/12/2005, 6:13 PM
Harps v Rovers could well pull in 4000+ if its a top of the table game towards the end of season. I think the first division this year will be a tough one and could pull in more attention if its close.

Conor H
06/12/2005, 8:29 PM
Harps v Rovers could well pull in 4000+ if its a top of the table game towards the end of season. I think the first division this year will be a tough one and could pull in more attention if its close.
So could Galway-Rovers
Galway-Harps
Dundalk-Rovers
Limerick-Rovers/Galway etc
Any of those 4 could get big crowd if their doing well!

Battery Rover
06/12/2005, 8:38 PM
hopefully limerick,dundalk, harps&shams are all challenging to maximise attendances. all 4 could easily average 1000+

We have just appointed a home town manager so we could easily average that if we get a bit of a run together. A lot of the lapsed will return now Mickey O'Connor has come home.

fbtn
06/12/2005, 9:15 PM
Dont mean to hijack the thread but didn't know Michael O'Connor was back with Athlone! A true gent of LOI.

He scored the penalty that kept you up against us in the playoff final in St Mels.....1995 I think it was. He stopped your players from celebrating in the dressing room afterwards telling them to think of how they would have felt if they had of just lost.

Not many people think like that when they've just won one of their biggest games in their managerial career.

crc
06/12/2005, 9:37 PM
So could Galway-Rovers
Galway-Harps
Dundalk-Rovers
Limerick-Rovers/Galway etc
Any of those 4 could get big crowd if their doing well!
That's 5!

I'd probably watch Dundalk-Rovers, but I think the First Division should have an appropriate highlights package (the Premier should have one for that matter!). There is too big a risk of having 90 mins of hoof-ball if you show a live match in the First Div - that would do the league no favours, but a good highlights package would.

Battery Rover
06/12/2005, 10:14 PM
Dont mean to hijack the thread but didn't know Michael O'Connor was back with Athlone! A true gent of LOI.

He scored the penalty that kept you up against us in the playoff final in St Mels.....1995 I think it was. He stopped your players from celebrating in the dressing room afterwards telling them to think of how they would have felt if they had of just lost.

Not many people think like that when they've just won one of their biggest games in their managerial career.

Yeah that was the 94/95 season. He was appointed today on a long term contract to get some stability in the club. Looking forward to seeing ye down in St Mels before we move to our new ground and definitely looking forward to a long overdue trip to Ballybofey

Eoingull
07/12/2005, 3:48 PM
From my experience, there is just no edge to most of the First Division games, unlike the Premier Division, where every point is to be celebrated. The First Division only warms up in the final month of the season, and only if you are challenging for promotion. Up until then it is more of a dogged trawl around the country playing too many poorly supported teams. Unless it's a top of the table clash at the end of the season, I wouldn't recommend showing a First Division game live on the tv. A goals round-up would be welcome, though.