PDA

View Full Version : Alan Quinn

OwlsFan
05/12/2005, 9:33 AM
Think he's the first player to score for both sides in the Sheffield derbys. :( Murphy is doing ok but now needs to score - he's had a few decent chances. Partridges contract is due for renewal any day now. Hope he stays. A little support for him on the Wednesday board:

http://boards.footymad.net/mboard/fmb.php?tno=464&fid=222&sty=2&act=1&mid=2139428044

COughlan is an immense player at centre-half. How come he never even got close to the squad in the days of Breen, O'Brien etc ?

Whelan continues to play well.

Stuttgart88
05/12/2005, 9:50 AM
This is what I said on another thread. How much of the game did you see? Would be interested to hear your views. If we had a competitive game next week I'd have Coughlan in the squad. He's streets ahead of Doherty and McCrathy & McShane couldn't be trusted in a competitive game yet, though could use the squad experience.

All the Irish impressed me from the TV highlights, except Partridge [only featured once in the highlights and played a poor ball across the box when a good ball could have led to a goal].

Whelan's passing is superb. Quinn was as industrious as ever & scored a good goal. Murphy was really unlucky not to score with a curling shot that had Kenny beaten all ends up. Kenny had a very solid game. Coughlan played well too & is always a threat from corners. I reckon he's probably our 4th or 5th best CB at the moment, though he's probably found his level. I like the look at that Norther Ireland lad Brunt. I've seen him a few times now & wish he was ours!

tetsujin1979
05/12/2005, 12:03 PM
Take a look at his history - http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=9690 - he didn't play regularly until Livingston took a chance on him and brought him to the Scottish Second Division, under Sturrock as well IIRC, at the same time Breen, Cunningham, Staunton would all have been playing regularly in the Championship/Division 1 or Premiership, so it's not surprising he wasn't noticed.

OwlsFan
05/12/2005, 12:34 PM
This is what I said on another thread. How much of the game did you see? Would be interested to hear your views.

Was visiting the outlaws in Galway so only saw the highlights you saw. Murphy looks a useful player but he needs to put his chances away. He's missed 3 now for Wednesday (he was 1 on 1 with the keeper against Stoke and missed). The word "industrious" describes Quinn down to a tee - a good Championship player. Partridge hasn't made much of an impact - he might need to drop another league again and then if he doesn't make it there, the EL will beckon. Perhaps though another 6 months at Hillsboro might see him progress a bit more.

Whelan is not unlike Roy Keane but gives the ball away too much though. Can spray the passes around.

Sturrock had Coughlan at Plymouth where he was a great favourite. At 31 though he doesn't have an international future I am afraid.

Stuttgart88
05/12/2005, 1:10 PM
Sturrock had Coughlan at Plymouth where he was a great favourite. At 31 though he doesn't have an international future I am afraid.I thought he was late 20s.

OwlsFan
05/12/2005, 2:44 PM
November 18 1974.

Stuttgart88
05/12/2005, 3:55 PM
OK, so he's a young 31 then :)

eirebhoy
06/12/2005, 10:19 AM
Coughlan got promotion something like 4 times in 6 seasons (twice with Livingston and twice with Plymouth).

OwlsFan
06/12/2005, 1:10 PM
Coughlan got promotion something like 4 times in 6 seasons (twice with Livingston and twice with Plymouth).

I think that will be 4 out of 7 :( But it does show what a decent centre half he is.

lofty9
06/12/2005, 2:59 PM
Was at the match lads. Apparently Quinn and Brondby are the only two players to have played for both teams in a derby. The owls didn't turn up in the first 30mins and Quinn was superb for the pigs. Murphy actually played well and Coughlin played ok in the second half - he was all over the place in the first half. I can see why he was overlooked. Don't rate him as international standard though. Graham up front is absolute brock - I've seen better Finn Harps players. The owls badly lack bite in the midfield, Whelan is ok and has found his level I think. Need a big centre forward - I heard a few guys talk about Geoff Horsfield, maybe he would be a good signing.

Stuttgart88
06/12/2005, 3:28 PM
Whelan is ok and has found his level I think.

I can see Whelan developing into a really good player. Kris Camara raves about his passing every time the Owls are on TV. He's 22 in January though, so a little older than I thought he was. But I'll stck my neck on the line and say he'll captain Ireland within 4 years!

Poor Student
06/12/2005, 8:55 PM
Should this go to the Ireland forum?

Btw, I don't think Sturrock ever managed Livingston.

jebus
07/12/2005, 3:20 PM
Quinn and Bromby are the only two players ever to play for both Sheffield teams alright (can't take Sheffield City seriously) and because of that fact they are both dead in my eyes! :p all joking aside is that scumbag Quinn were to score the winning goal against England in the World Cup final for Ireland I wouldn't praise the b@stard. Did any of ye catch the sob stories in last weekends papers about how Quinn was run out of Wednesday, the club he loves, by the board? Now I'm no fan of the Wednesday board but they offered him a contract, he wouldn't sign it cause he wanted more money and left on a bosman, fair enough, didn't begrudge him in the slightest, he was/is too good for League One anyway. But to jump across to United when teams like Sunderland and apparantly Spurs were looking at him smacks of disrespect to the Wednesday faithful. Then to put out the sob stories last weekend to try to justify it was just sheer panic at getting booed by the Wednesday fans. But then to celebrate the winning goal for the pigs as much as he did....well thats why he's dead in my eyes!

TheJamaicanP.M.
07/12/2005, 7:37 PM
Quinn and Bromby are the only two players ever to play for both Sheffield teams alright (can't take Sheffield City seriously) and because of that fact they are both dead in my eyes! :p all joking aside is that scumbag Quinn were to score the winning goal against England in the World Cup final for Ireland I wouldn't praise the b@stard. Did any of ye catch the sob stories in last weekends papers about how Quinn was run out of Wednesday, the club he loves, by the board? Now I'm no fan of the Wednesday board but they offered him a contract, he wouldn't sign it cause he wanted more money and left on a bosman, fair enough, didn't begrudge him in the slightest, he was/is too good for League One anyway. But to jump across to United when teams like Sunderland and apparantly Spurs were looking at him smacks of disrespect to the Wednesday faithful. Then to put out the sob stories last weekend to try to justify it was just sheer panic at getting booed by the Wednesday fans. But then to celebrate the winning goal for the pigs as much as he did....well thats why he's dead in my eyes!

Are you for fuking real? Do you call yourself an Irishman? Who cares about some small-town Sheffield rivalry. He was a free agent and free to go wherever he wanted. He didn't get much of a chance when he went to Sunderland on loan. He was fully entitled to go to Sheffield United. His brother is at the club and he didn't have to move home. If there's one thing I can't stand it's Irish people who turn on a player because of an English club rivalry. I remember watching tv a few years ago when Sol Campbell was returning to White Hart Lane with Arsenal. A Spurs supporter from Ireland came on tv and told Sol Campbell that he wasn't welcome. Imagine, an Irishman telling an Englishman he's not welcome in his own country.:rolleyes:

Fair play to Alan Quinn. If you ask me he was too loyal to Wednesday. He should have left them when they got relegated from the Premiership.

soccerc
07/12/2005, 8:52 PM

From a local Yorkshire newspaper and i think they would have a fair idea of what actually happened.

Alan Quinn, Leigh Bromby and Derek Geary were kicked out at Hillsborough two summers ago as part of the club's cost-cutting.Not even offered reduced terms on a new contract, all three were gutted to leave the club they had been at since boys.
http://www.yorkshiretoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=117&ArticleID=1276174

Poor Student
07/12/2005, 11:28 PM
Are you for fuking real? Do you call yourself an Irishman? Who cares about some small-town Sheffield rivalry. He was a free agent and free to go wherever he wanted. He didn't get much of a chance when he went to Sunderland on loan. He was fully entitled to go to Sheffield United. His brother is at the club and he didn't have to move home. If there's one thing I can't stand it's Irish people who turn on a player because of an English club rivalry. I remember watching tv a few years ago when Sol Campbell was returning to White Hart Lane with Arsenal. A Spurs supporter from Ireland came on tv and told Sol Campbell that he wasn't welcome. Imagine, an Irishman telling an Englishman he's not welcome in his own country.:rolleyes:

Fair play to Alan Quinn. If you ask me he was too loyal to Wednesday. He should have left them when they got relegated from the Premiership.

Look, it's against the rules of this forum to slate Irish people for their interest in foreign clubs. If you want to carry on this train of thought take it elsewhere.

TheJamaicanP.M.
08/12/2005, 11:09 AM
Look, it's against the rules of this forum to slate Irish people for their interest in foreign clubs. If you want to carry on this train of thought take it elsewhere.

...but its ok to slate Irish players despite having the wrong facts. Sounds fair to me.:rolleyes:

lofty9
08/12/2005, 12:41 PM
I was well peeved when he scored.. I thought he wouldn't celebrate ala Robbie Keane but then hey presto! I still have a problem with Paddy Kenny in an Ireland shirt though - every time he gets to kick the ball out I automatically verse "you fat b£*"&E^" ... its just habit, nothing personal.:D

OwlsFan
08/12/2005, 4:22 PM
Firstly, I don't agree with the TheJamaicanP.M that the Sheffield rivalry is "small town". The Boxing Day Massacre when they were both in the old Third Division attracted 45,000 to Hillsboro. It's one of the biggest and most fierce rivalries in English soccer.

That said I respect the right of any player to change allegiance. Supporters forget that players and managers are all mercenaries - it is only the supporters who for the most part remain loyal. Sunderland did not want Quinn. They took him on trial and send him back to Wednesday. I totally respect his decision to go wherever he could get the best deal and if it's in the same city (remember they were in different divisions at the time as well) so much the better for him. A footballer's career is short enough without putting a limit on the number of clubs a player can join. Sturrock may well leave Wednesday someday and be back managing the opposition. It happens all the time.

As an Irishman, I wish him a successful career for whoever he plays for. It's just a pity he had to come back and haunt the Owls.

OwlsFan
09/12/2005, 2:08 PM
Partridge's career at Hillsboro is in the balance:

http://www.swfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/News/0,,10304~752654,00.html

Fingers crossed.

tricky_colour
10/12/2005, 5:13 PM
Should this go to the Ireland forum?

One would have thought so.

jebus
11/12/2005, 7:36 PM

Well to be perfectly honest I couldn't give two craps about international football, hence I support Wednesday more than Ireland, just like I support Limerick more than Ireland, just like I couldn't give a toss when Ireland didn't make the World Cup, I've invested a lot more emotion following Wednesday than I have Ireland. And these 'facts' that you speak of come from a newspaper, and we all know how reliable British newspapers are don't we? :rolleyes: Being a Wednesday fan I take my 'facts' from the e mails or bulletins that Wednesday send me out on average twice weekly for the last couple of years, and my info or the Quinn deal was what I was told by the club, so I'm gonna believe that, not some Yorkshire rag.

TheJamaicanP.M.
11/12/2005, 9:34 PM
Well to be perfectly honest I couldn't give two craps about international football, hence I support Wednesday more than Ireland, just like I support Limerick more than Ireland, just like I couldn't give a toss when Ireland didn't make the World Cup, I've invested a lot more emotion following Wednesday than I have Ireland. And these 'facts' that you speak of come from a newspaper, and we all know how reliable British newspapers are don't we? :rolleyes: Being a Wednesday fan I take my 'facts' from the e mails or bulletins that Wednesday send me out on average twice weekly for the last couple of years, and my info or the Quinn deal was what I was told by the club, so I'm gonna believe that, not some Yorkshire rag.

Lovely attitude for a "Limerickman". If you want to put Wednesday before your own country go ahead. As for reading a British newspaper, as bad as it is, its bound to be more factual than emails and bulletins from a club who are clearly not a 3rd party in the Alan Quinn episode. The tripe you're reading is more likely to be propaganda than the newspaper article. I can just imagine you with your collection of Sheffield Wednesday bulletins and video of The Full Monty on your bookshelf.:D The fact that you "invest" so much more "emotion" on Wednesday than your own country speaks volumes as far as I'm concerned. Whatever floats your boat as they say.

Poor Student
11/12/2005, 11:07 PM
Lovely attitude for a "Limerickman". If you want to put Wednesday before your own country go ahead. As for reading a British newspaper, as bad as it is, its bound to be more factual than emails and bulletins from a club who are clearly not a 3rd party in the Alan Quinn episode. The tripe you're reading is more likely to be propaganda than the newspaper article. I can just imagine you with your collection of Sheffield Wednesday bulletins and video of The Full Monty on your bookshelf.:D The fact that you "invest" so much more "emotion" on Wednesday than your own country speaks volumes as far as I'm concerned. Whatever floats your boat as they say.

Right, you've been warned once. No smart arse answers. You want to question his priorities or right to support a foreign club then you can do it via PMs or somewhere else.

jebus
12/12/2005, 7:20 PM

Did I not say, 'being a Wednesday fan' before explaining where I get my info from? Of course they are biased in their opinion, as I am too, in regards to Alan Quinn and all things Sheffield Wednesday, but show me a newspaper that doesn't have a bias, let alone a regional one, and I'll stop pointing out how inept your comments are.

And the fact that you judge a person's 'Irishness' on the level of interest they have in the national team speaks volumes in my opinion too. If you were British I'm sure you'd be the type to wear a Union Jack vest, thump your chest, and talk about the Great British Kingdom every time your country achieved any minor victory in sports, war, or whatever

Poor Student
12/12/2005, 7:46 PM
Did I not say, 'being a Wednesday fan' before explaining where I get my info from? Of course they are biased in their opinion, as I am too, in regards to Alan Quinn and all things Sheffield Wednesday, but show me a newspaper that doesn't have a bias, let alone a regional one, and I'll stop pointing out how inept your comments are.

And the fact that you judge a person's 'Irishness' on the level of interest they have in the national team speaks volumes in my opinion too. If you were British I'm sure you'd be the type to wear a Union Jack vest, thump your chest, and talk about the Great British Kingdom every time your country achieved any minor victory in sports, war, or whatever

I said that's enough on this, that applies to all of you, not just Jamaican PM. You're all warned now.

OwlsFan
13/12/2005, 12:47 PM
Anyway, getting back to my point which you didn't answer jebus. Any realistic football fan knows that it is the fans who are supporters through thick and thin, not the players who, unlike the fans, are paid to play for the club badge. Players = mercenaries. They'll score a goal, kiss the badge and next day be transferred and score a goal against their former team and kiss the badge again. Their loyalty is purely transient and to expect otherwise is unrealistic. I have heard Celtic players go on about Liam Miller is a similar vein.

A player is loyal so long as the pay cheque keeps coming in - fact of the modern game.

jebus
13/12/2005, 8:17 PM
Anyway, getting back to my point which you didn't answer jebus. Any realistic football fan knows that it is the fans who are supporters through thick and thin, not the players who, unlike the fans, are paid to play for the club badge. Players = mercenaries. They'll score a goal, kiss the badge and next day be transferred and score a goal against their former team and kiss the badge again. Their loyalty is purely transient and to expect otherwise is unrealistic. I have heard Celtic players go on about Liam Miller is a similar vein.

A player is loyal so long as the pay cheque keeps coming in - fact of the modern game.

Understand what you are saying Owlsfan but the day football fans honestly stop believing that the players who play for their chosen club don't give one single damn about the club is the day footbal dies a death in my opinion. Every fan knows that in every club, including their own, there are merchanaries who are only at the club for the pay cheque, God only knows that Wednesday have had more than their fair share, De Bilde, Carbone, Ingeson to name but a few.

My beef with Alan Quinn however was his insistance that he was a Wednesday fan and that he was harshly booted out of the club. Now if he really were a Wednesday fan, he would a) never dream of putting on a Sheffield United jersey, b) stick the boot into the club on the ever of the Sheffield derby, fair enough if had done so to the board, but he shouldn't have done it to the club, and c) celebrated scoring the winner against us so fervently. I know you can counter with your initial argument about players having no loyalty to anything but the paycheck, but why then would Quinn make such a deal out of being a Wednesday fan when he now plays for United? I didn't think much of Alan Smith for joining Man United, and I'm not going to think much of Alan Quinn for joining Sheff Utd just because he is Irish. And anyone who thinks that Wednesday would actively get rid of Quinn, Bromby and Geary (three of our best players at the time) without at least offering them reduced terms in their contract negotiations have probably read too much into the negative press the Wednesday board get all the time. But talking about the board is an essay onto itself anyway and not for here :D

OwlsFan
14/12/2005, 9:58 AM
Understand what you are saying Owlsfan but the day football fans honestly stop believing that the players who play for their chosen club don't give one single damn about the club is the day footbal dies a death in my opinion.

That's not quite what I said. I am in business and will do my best for my company and will try and do down the opposition. However, if I then change jobs and work for the opposition, then I'll do my best for my new company even if it is at the expense of my previous employer. So it is with footballers. Most do care about the club they play for at a given moment but once they change clubs, that's history. You are asking Quinn not to take an offer of a contract by the Blunts and to uproot himself to another city because Wednesday were his first club in England and perhaps not get as good an offer elsewhere. That's asking an awful lot of a young man doing his best to establish his career in England. I was disappointed he didn't do a Robbie Keane like celebration when he scores against a former club but no more than that. The Blunts fans wouldn't have appreciated a low key celebration I suspect.

jebus
14/12/2005, 11:08 AM
[QUOTE=OwlsFan]That's not quite what I said. I am in business and will do my best for my company and will try and do down the opposition. However, if I then change jobs and work for the opposition, then I'll do my best for my new company even if it is at the expense of my previous employer. So it is with footballers. Most do care about the club they play for at a given moment [QUOTE]

Again I understand (or at least I think I do) what you are getting at, but there is a big differance between playing for a club, and working with a company in terms of loyalty. I know your point only too well, having worked for HMV, Virgin and Golden Discs at differant points I understand how company loyalty changes with each differant position, but in my opinion thats because thats all HMV, Virgin and Golden Discs every were to me, differant jobs. A football player draws most of his loyalty from the supporters of the club, not the paycheck (or at least he should anyway). I'd like to think that if I had 30,000 people cheering on my every sale at HMV I wouldn't have so easily changed loyalties with Virgin, and maybe if I hadn't been run out of Virgin with the threat of being sacked I wouldn't have smashed in all their windows on a drunken rampage :D

But my point is that if a player doesn't owe any loyalty to his employers at whatever club he plays for, then surely he still owes some loyalty to the fans who used to worship him?

OwlsFan
01/03/2006, 10:40 AM
February 27, 2006

Sheffield United star Alan Quinn has been exonerated by his club following an internal
investigation into his arrest following a
brawl in the city last week.

Quinn, who courted controversy in the city by moving from Wednesday to United two years
ago, was allegedly involved in an incident
over a pool-table in a pub last weekend.

The development has compelled Blades boss
Neil Warnock to impose a pub ban on his squad even going so far as to urge fans to help him out with monitoring his squad's
social habits.

He said: "I'd ask Alan to look at himself.
He goes out to find a pool table in a
Sheffield Wednesday pub the day after we'd beaten our bitter rivals at Hillsborough.
Hello Alan ? Work it out for yourself, son.
It doesn't seem to have been the brightest idea he's ever had, that's for sure.

"It's up to the fans to help me now ? if
they see any member of my squad in a pub, club, bar, whatever, I want them to ring me up and tell me. If my players want to drink
they can get ****ed in the safety of their
own homes."

www.eleven-a-side.com

Just back from St Marys where I witnessed the 3-0 drubbing by Southampton.
It was particularly disappointing from an Irish point of view as Potter didn't play for the Saints while Partridge was wholly ineffective for the Owls and was substituted. Whelan made more misplaced passes than accurate ones and Coughlan, whole hearted player that he is, had an ordinary game:( Corr came on and did ok but is now out with a back injury for the rest of the season. Luckily Millwall and Brighton both lost as well so the 4 pt gap remains.

Stuttgart88
01/03/2006, 10:57 AM
Luckily Millwall and Brighton both lost as well so the 4 pt gap remains.It looks like you'll be OK, though more by default. Leicester, Owls & Brighton all have Irish interest. From a purely Irish perspective I think it's more important Leicester & Wednesday stay up.

McShane is only on loan so wouldn't be necessarily doomed to Div 1 football. Who knows what'll happen Henderson.

I think Paddy McCarthy would get a move higher if Leicester went down but I'd have concerns about all the SWFC contingent, despite the fact I rate Whelan.

OwlsFan
01/03/2006, 11:06 AM
Whelan has gone off the boil I am afraid. Gives the ball away too easily. I fear for Partridge - next stop Barnsley unless he shows some improvement.

Nice ground St Mary's. 2500 travelling Wednesday fans made lots of noise including chants of "There's only one Harry Rednapp" which went down well with the locals :D

At least 4 other people on the plane going to the game. It's amazing to see all the different scarfs on a Saturday morning in Dublin airport. Never knew there were so many Wigan fans in Ireland.

FarBeag
02/03/2006, 12:49 AM
Well to be perfectly honest I couldn't give two craps about international football, hence I support Wednesday more than Ireland, just like I support Limerick more than Ireland, just like I couldn't give a toss when Ireland didn't make the World Cup, I've invested a lot more emotion following Wednesday than I have Ireland. And these 'facts' that you speak of come from a newspaper, and we all know how reliable British newspapers are don't we? :rolleyes: Being a Wednesday fan I take my 'facts' from the e mails or bulletins that Wednesday send me out on average twice weekly for the last couple of years, and my info or the Quinn deal was what I was told by the club, so I'm gonna believe that, not some Yorkshire rag..

Unbelievable.