PDA

View Full Version : George in the Cup Final

kingcolers
05/12/2005, 8:47 AM
What the f*ck was up with George yesterday? He seemed to be more concerned with showing off and promoting himself than playing for Cork City. He let the team and the supporters down with his showboating and his selfishness. And it backfired on him too - he made himself look like an idiot rather than the decent player he can be when he puts his mind to it. I wonder what the lads in the dressing room make of it all. I hope somebody gave him a bollocking. I think he has been indulged too long...

forengay
05/12/2005, 10:08 AM
Ba:mad: ng on he was out to showoff and thats it he did notting just dance around the ball and make a balls of it and made himself look bad

joeSoap
05/12/2005, 10:28 AM
He mightn't have done the business yesterday, but name me a Cork player that did? It was the end of a long hard season for them all, and castigating him for a bad game yesterday is ludicrous.

Whose goal got ye to the final in the first place, by the way??

TheNorthsider
05/12/2005, 11:11 AM
thank you joe soap for speaking some sense whilst others aren't capable

kingcolers
05/12/2005, 12:08 PM
i'm not castigating him for a bad game - i'm castigating him for a bad attitude.

TheNorthsider
05/12/2005, 12:11 PM
as joe soap says name a player who did the business yesterday too often people pick on george when things don't go right while there is another 10 on the pitch with him

Gandhi
05/12/2005, 12:22 PM
Can't blame it on George, ultimately suspensions and poor refereeing cost us the match. Drogs went out to kick us off the park, no question about it, and the ref let them get on with it. Was watching BBC last night, Paul Durkin the ex-ref was on analysing tackles that should have been yellow cards, Drogs should have had at least one, if not more long before George got booked. This might come across as sour grapes but I really don't give a sh**, I have no axe to grind, it was blatantly obvious that this was the Drogs game plan, and in a way can you blame them, it is a Cup Final, you have a chance to win a trophy, it is up to the ref to spot whats going on and deal with it. In a way I can understand the ref too, he was probably trying not to be too fussy, he was probably trying to let the game flow and all that, but he ended up looking a bit stupid. Can't bring myself to congratulate Drogs, I thought both their goals were superb but thats as much as I can bring myself to say at this point. Still, as I said to a couple of Derry fans before the recent match at the X where we won the league:D - if it was a choice between the league and the Cup Drogs could have the Cup there and then

Ronnie
05/12/2005, 12:41 PM
Gandhi, Drogs won fair and square, not because of refs - no one denies Cork were the best team in the league and thus deserved the title, but Cork gotfrom yesterday all they were entitled to. To say Drogs were too physical is ludicrious from a club who ahve stated regularly that they had to toughen up a lot in 2005 to bridge the (perceived) gap with Shels and whose manager believes that this must continue to be able to match physical sides in Europe -like Prague. Now enjoy winning the league, congratulate Drogs ona a deserved victory and roll on 2006.

kingcolers
05/12/2005, 12:42 PM
lads, i'm not blaming the defeat on george because as we all agree, there were a lot of other players who didnt perform either. my gripe is with his attitude. he seemed to think th ecup final was an occassion for him to show off. its george first, city second as far as i can see. cant understand why nobody else sees it that way. everybody i was sitting with at the game thought he was an *rsehole....

patsh
05/12/2005, 1:59 PM
George was no worse than a good few City players, there were some terrible performances yesterday.
George was getting a right kicking, and Stokes didn't help the situation by letting two appaling Drogheda fouls go before booking the first heavy City tackle.

Drogheda won because they took their chances, we had most of the possession, but we did nothing with it.
No excuses for the defeat, we didn't deserve to win, Drogheda did and fair play to them.

Gandhi
05/12/2005, 2:47 PM
Gandhi, Drogs won fair and square, not because of refs - no one denies Cork were the best team in the league and thus deserved the title, but Cork gotfrom yesterday all they were entitled to. To say Drogs were too physical is ludicrious from a club who ahve stated regularly that they had to toughen up a lot in 2005 to bridge the (perceived) gap with Shels and whose manager believes that this must continue to be able to match physical sides in Europe -like Prague. Now enjoy winning the league, congratulate Drogs ona a deserved victory and roll on 2006.

Ronnie
read my post again lad
where did I say Drogs were too physical
what's that ad again "should have been to Specsavers";)
City do need to toughen up, the ref's performance was a factor in a game that, on the day, Drogs deserved to win (please read last bit while imagining a nasty choking sound as I struggle to get the words out)
Pardon me for simply pointing out that the tasty stuff was a big part of their gameplan and the ref facilitated it!
Anyway when all the dust has settled the record books for 2005 will show Drogs won, and I'm not going to waste my energy begrudging it to them

Ronnie
05/12/2005, 3:10 PM
"Drogs went out to kick us off the park, no question about it, and the ref let them get on with it."

Fair enough, you never said they were too physical ....

tiktok
05/12/2005, 3:12 PM
Can't blame it on George, ultimately suspensions and poor refereeing cost us the match.

Neither did.

That's the squad that won the league ffs, we were only down two players! The team as a whole didn't look bothered, apart from Joe Gamble, who I thought was immense given the ineptitude around him.

Poor referreeing wasn't the reason we had no shot on target during 90 minutes. Drogs got the tactics right and controlled the match throughout, they were well worth their win.

Georgie was awful, but he wasn't our worst player on the night.

thejollyrodger
05/12/2005, 3:12 PM
couldnt agree more. George was pathetic

The Sheliban
05/12/2005, 3:20 PM
Gamble, though, I have to agree was immense. Wish he played for us.

I'm really not wanting to criticise George, but Rico should get a hold of him and tell him to cut out the rubbish. He has the chance to go a long way, but immaturity is holding him back.

Gandhi
05/12/2005, 4:10 PM
"Drogs went out to kick us off the park, no question about it, and the ref let them get on with it."

Fair enough, you never said they were too physical ....

I pointed out they used it as a tactic
If it gets to the stage where the ref starts waving his red card around I suppose then you can call it too physical?
Its all history now anyways

Gandhi
05/12/2005, 4:21 PM
Neither did.

That's the squad that won the league ffs, we were only down two players! The team as a whole didn't look bothered, apart from Joe Gamble, who I thought was immense given the ineptitude around him.

Poor referreeing wasn't the reason we had no shot on target during 90 minutes. Drogs got the tactics right and controlled the match throughout, they were well worth their win.

Georgie was awful, but he wasn't our worst player on the night.

Greg had a shocker, his lack of match practice was obvious and led directly to the first goal. We missed Danny very badly.
Billy gave it a good go, no disrespect, but Roy O'Donovan is a class above him and would have caused Drogs far more problems.
As for the ref, he completely failed to stamp any authority on the match when it was needed early on, e.g. when Kearney was blatantly taken out early on in the game - that should have been an immediate booking and Kearney produced very little afterwards. Then when City start having a go back in self defence the ref starts producing his card like its Christmas (well I suppose it nearly is Christmas)
If you took the physical side out of things football would not be worth watching, but I stand by my point that the ref's failure to act did have an effect on the result. I thought Drogs played some great football in the second half by the way, not wanting to take anything away from their second half performance
Anyway as I said its all history now
I hope there is a decent crowd to welcome the lads back tonight, they have done us proud and even if a few players didn't turn up yesterday, let's not make that the way we remember the end of the season, they did us proud all season

pete
05/12/2005, 9:34 PM
Shocking performance by George. If he going to accept ther praise for great games he has to accept the criticism for pitiful performances.

All his set pieces were poor.
Incident in the 2nd half where he took a short corner (why???????????) & proceeded to take the ball halfway to the halway line summed up his game.

However i will say that the Drogs elbow on Kearney & "tackle" to take out George were disgraceful - how could ahy ref not give yellow cards for them? I;m not saying was conspiracy just that Stokes was incompetent.

liamon
06/12/2005, 10:37 AM
It was the ref.
It was Drogs acting like bullies.
It was George.

I don't buy any of that. Too many City players played badly to deserve a win. Kearney took a tackle and went MIA. Greg was off the pace. Billy was terrible. Fenn did nothing for the time he was on the pitch, apart from falling over once or twice. George wasn't at his best, but it wasn't solely his fault.
Drogs did what they had to do and they scored twice. We never looked like scoring. They deserve the medals. We desereved what we got.
(Apart from a couple of our players who did turn up on the day)
Reminded me of the UEFA cup game this year. We were not tough enough physically. That will have to be a priority over the winter.

But Drogs won fair and square.
P.S. We won the league, and that's far more important.