PDA

View Full Version : Irish Soccer Magazine.

Finlay Harp
02/12/2005, 10:54 PM
Does anyone remember such a publication from a few years back that was solely about the League of Ireland? It was quite a good read. Where did it disappear to and do you think such a magazine would be worthy of a comeback?

CollegeTillIDie
02/12/2005, 11:19 PM
It was first issued in 1984 and ran for the entire 1984/85 season.
Then from 1985 when it included LOI and Irish League Line-ups for a number of seasons and ceased publication in 2000. There was always a full page ad for a leading cigarette brand on the back page. When tobacco advertising was outlawed, the Soccer Magazine bit the dust!

hamish
03/12/2005, 12:38 AM
It was first issued in 1984 and ran for the entire 1984/85 season.
Then from 1985 when it included LOI and Irish League Line-ups for a number of seasons and ceased publication in 2000. There was always a full page ad for a leading cigarette brand on the back page. When tobacco advertising was outlawed, the Soccer Magazine bit the dust!

Yeah,I have nearly every single copy and all in binders. Think I might have missed the last 2 or 3. First cover had/has Tony Galvin on it.
Great people to deal with for clubs and all indeed all levels of footie.:)

A face
03/12/2005, 12:58 AM
Any magazine for Irish footie will need at least 6 anchor sponsors before on word is printed ... it wont last otherwise.

hamish
03/12/2005, 10:38 PM
Any magazine for Irish footie will need at least 6 anchor sponsors before on word is printed ... it wont last otherwise.

Oh Jesus, don't remind me of the horrors of getting quality (or any FTM) advertising for programmes, magazines etc.:eek:

Mayo Red
04/12/2005, 9:01 PM
It was a good read alright, I have a load of copies somewhere. I think it was a relation of Irish Rugby Magazine if I am not mistaken, and it is a pity it bit the dust. It would be great if something could be done to get it going again. On a related note, Kickin was also a good read while it lasted but it disappeared almost as quick as it came on the scene. They did a very good issue dedicated mostly to Paul McGrath at one stage.

Red Seagull
05/12/2005, 11:04 AM
Would love to have it back. Great read it was too. Have a few around the house still I think.