PDA

View Full Version : Aldo encroaches

geysir
02/12/2005, 12:41 PM
I think its time to discuss Aldo and the "Ireland job". We have seen other pretenders hit the front, with media trumpets blaring, only to fizzle out in no time. After hitting the front last week in the betting, Aldo has demonstrated his staying power and has begun a sprint for the finishing line. Without any media hype (atm) he is gone down to 1/2.
I don't know much about his time as manager except that he still turned up for Ireland games and only retired after Mick kept him on the bench against Iceland when Aldo was frothing at the mouth to get on the pitch.

drummerboy
02/12/2005, 1:08 PM
Well he did well with Tranmere, kept them in the higher echolons of the Nationwide league for about 3 seasons, reaching a League Cup Final and semi final of the FAI cup. He hadn't got a lot to work with, money wise or talent wise. However, his brand of football, wasn't exactly to the purists liking. One abiding memory was the guy with a massive throw in who could almost throw the ball in the opponents box from just inside the half-way line.

Tired&Emotional
02/12/2005, 1:13 PM
"the guy with a massive throw in who could almost throw the ball in the opponents box from just inside the half-way line"

McCarthy throws into Whelan.....goal !! Nice one Ronnie:D

Edit for quote!

joeSoap
02/12/2005, 1:15 PM
One abiding memory was the guy with a massive throw in who could almost throw the ball in the opponents box from just inside the half-way line.Dave Challinor I think his name was.

pineapple stu
02/12/2005, 1:26 PM
That's right...Those throws were phenomenal!

Long throw-ins are a great weapon. Surprised fewer people have them. Anto Murphy's got us a goal or two this season with them.

Hither green
02/12/2005, 1:30 PM
I remember the long throw became popular for a bit after their cup run but then fizzled away, I think they must have realised that Challinor was some sort of mutant or something. I quite like Aldridge but I'd also have concerns about the style of football, there's no reason to go back to that with our current crop of players. What's he been doing since Tranmere?

pineapple stu
02/12/2005, 1:31 PM
He has a clothing company - US Athletic or something - and does media work for TV3?

BobbySands
02/12/2005, 1:38 PM
Ever since his freakout at the official from the sidelines against Mexico when he then came on and scored a consolation goal I've had nothing but respect for Aldo. The close ups of him mouthing his diatribe at that gob****e are the highlights of the Charlton years vid.

NeilMcD
02/12/2005, 1:43 PM
I would have no problem with Aldo getting the job to be honest. He woudl not be my first choice but if he was announced in the morning I would take it and get behind him. I thought he did a good job and Tranmere. He has not been in the game since so that could be a problem. He woudl probably bring Kevin Sheedy or Ray Houghton as his assistant too.

pineapple stu
02/12/2005, 1:50 PM
Ever since his freakout at the official from the sidelines against Mexico when he then came on and scored a consolation goal I've had nothing but respect for Aldo. The close ups of him mouthing his diatribe at that gob****e are the highlights of the Charlton years vid.
I got that recorded at the time, so I have the uncensored version too!:)

geysir
02/12/2005, 1:50 PM
against Mexico when he then came on and scored a consolation goal
More than a consolation goal, had effect on the group table and how Ireland could afford to draw with Norway.

Fergie's Son
02/12/2005, 4:42 PM
He certainly wore his passion on his sleeve. He looked like he would kill the linesman. I also remeber a video of Ireland's qualification for Italia '90. It had Aldo speaking Spanish to a few friends of his. This was when he was playing for Real Sociadead.

I would support him for the position.

livehead1
02/12/2005, 8:05 PM
I got that recorded at the time, so I have the uncensored version too!:)
what did it say?

onenilgameover
02/12/2005, 8:31 PM
To be honest...it might not be a bad idea..........

Roverstillidie
03/12/2005, 1:32 AM
I would support him for the position.

soely on the basis he abused a 4th official?

whats next, olly byrne for president? :rolleyes:

gob****es like this prove democracy doesnt work

Fergie's Son
03/12/2005, 2:54 AM
soely on the basis he abused a 4th official?

whats next, olly byrne for president? :rolleyes:

gob****es like this prove democracy doesnt work

Nice. Based on his managerial and playing career which is superior to the likes of Steve Staunton and at least equal to Peter Reid's.

And yes, having a passion for Ireland and the Irish footballing cause is important.

macdermesser
03/12/2005, 7:25 AM
Nice. Based on his managerial and playing career which is superior to the likes of Steve Staunton and at least equal to Peter Reid's.

And yes, having a passion for Ireland and the Irish footballing cause is important.

Have to agree too. Think these players need to hear a passionate voice rather than some dutch/french/cockney mercenary in it for his CV and to bide time while he looks for a bigger job.

Still, he would need a good strong number two... or even a one-an-half

Roverstillidie
03/12/2005, 5:31 PM
Have to agree too. Think these players need to hear a passionate voice rather than some dutch/french/cockney mercenary in it for his CV and to bide time while he looks for a bigger job.

Still, he would need a good strong number two... or even a one-an-half

as opposed to a scouse mercenary?

the cold reality of aldo is he hasnt worked in 4 years after getting the bullet at tranmere.

i would have heart and passion. and as a rovers fan i am an expert in abusing matchday officials. but it doesnt mean i am anything other than woefully underqualified for the irish job. ditto aldo.

Fergie's Son
03/12/2005, 5:38 PM
Actually it does. You've never coached. Anywhere. You never played professionally. So no, you are not as qualified as Aldrige is.

Absent someone like O'Neill or Hiddink I would rather have an Aldrige than a Bryan Robson or a Peter Reid.

Fergie's Son
03/12/2005, 5:38 PM
Actually it does. You've never coached. Anywhere. You never played professionally. So no, you are not as qualified as Aldrige is.

Absent someone like O'Neill or Hiddink I would rather have an Aldrige than a Bryan Robson or a Peter Reid.

Roverstillidie
03/12/2005, 6:03 PM

why? aldo has been out of management for nearly 5 years. does that not worry you?
robson and reid have at least had some moderate top flight success overseas, what did aldo achieve? christ, bohs wouldnt even interview him, thats how bottom of the barrell he is.

Fergie's Son
03/12/2005, 7:10 PM
why? aldo has been out of management for nearly 5 years. does that not worry you?
robson and reid have at least had some moderate top flight success overseas, what did aldo achieve? christ, bohs wouldnt even interview him, thats how bottom of the barrell he is.

He's a lot closer to the game than you are. He's had a number of interviews with British clubs and has done nearly as well as both Robson and Reid.

Further, passion is just what this Irish team needs unless you think the listless display of this last WC qualifiers was acceptable.

Roverstillidie
03/12/2005, 8:52 PM
He's a lot closer to the game than you are. He's had a number of interviews with British clubs and has done nearly as well as both Robson and Reid.

Further, passion is just what this Irish team needs unless you think the listless display of this last WC qualifiers was acceptable.

with respect, you have no idea who i am or what connections i have to the game, so a bit less patronising please.

aldo has achived 2 good cup runs in management. he also got tranmere relegated when they were expected to hit the playoffs.

and having a number of interviews for british clubs means what exactly? that he is actively seeking work overseas and cant get it? sorry aldo, come back with a CV.

Robson and Reid should be ruled out for various reasons, but lack of experience isnt a problem for either of them. it is with aldo.

one incident when he f'd and blinded a fourth official is enough to give a failed mid-division english manager the irish national team job?

the standards some people have here are appaling.

Fergie's Son
03/12/2005, 9:22 PM
In fairness, posting on a fans board suggests that you're like the rest of us, a fan. That is, you're not a professional football player or coach. That's a basic presumption and unless you're going to provide information to the contrary that's exactly how I am going to take your comments.

Given the dearth of quality candidates, Aldridge is looking better than most. Assuming we can't get the likes of an O'Neill or a Hiddink or another suitable international class coach then I have to say that Aldrige is a good choice. He's more experience than Staunton and has more committment and connection to Ireland than say Reid or Robson.

Moreover, given the nature of the Irish job (fairly small pool of players, total reliance on the English game), we need a coach who can motivate and inspire players. I believe someone like Aldrige can do that.

The standards on this board aren't appalling, you're arrogance is.

Roverstillidie
03/12/2005, 10:31 PM
He's more experience than Staunton and has more committment and connection to Ireland than say Reid or Robson.

Moreover, given the nature of the Irish job (fairly small pool of players, total reliance on the English game), we need a coach who can motivate and inspire players. I believe someone like Aldrige can do that.

The standards on this board aren't appalling, you're arrogance is.

if he has such positive attributes, why is he out of management 5 years on?

if we want a motivator, pat dolan is available. but the fact he is not being mentioned proves we need more than a shouter. which in any case i dont think aldo is.

i suppose i just dont agree he could motivate or inspire anyone.

its not arrogance to be frustrated with the garbage people are touting for this job. reid? aldo? staunton?

ffs, delaney got rid of kerr so we could genuinley consider a manager bohs wouldnt interview? come on out of it.

Fergie's Son
03/12/2005, 11:18 PM
Look, I've said that I would prefer an O'Neill or a Hiddink. 99.9% of people would want a coach of a that calibre. The problem is though, we're just not going to get it (it seems). That being the case, we have to go with what we have.

Of the choices you mentioned I have a personal preference for Aldridge.

geysir
03/12/2005, 11:41 PM
he cold reality of aldo is he hasnt worked in 4 years after getting the bullet at tranmere.
I don't know where you get your facts from Rtid but according to a TR supporters website
http://tranmererovers.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=930&p=2&stid=8088019
Aldo resigned.

he also got tranmere relegated when they were expected to hit the playoffs. Aldo kept them up for 10 years. They were a 3rd level club playing at the 2nd level and for years with the financial structure of a 4th level club, "The shoe string heroes".
http://tranmererovers.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=930&p=2&stid=8088052

pineapple stu
04/12/2005, 12:38 AM
what did it say?
Won't show up particularly well on foot.ie (!), but it involved variations on the old "**** off you ****ing ******" rant. Very funny!

Roverstillidie
04/12/2005, 1:34 AM
I don't know where you get your facts from Rtid but according to a TR supporters website
http://tranmererovers.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=930&p=2&stid=8088019
Aldo resigned.
Aldo kept them up for 10 years. They were a 3rd level club playing at the 2nd level and for years with the financial structure of a 4th level club, "The shoe string heroes".
http://tranmererovers.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=930&p=2&stid=8088052

ok, got the bullet was the wrong wording, but the fact remains, he is out of work for 5 years now and couldnt even get work in the EL. Why?
he isnt good enough.

Fergie's Son
04/12/2005, 5:11 AM
ok, got the bullet was the wrong wording, but the fact remains, he is out of work for 5 years now and couldnt even get work in the EL. Why?
he isnt good enough.

I'm astonished that he couldn't get a job in the EL. Perhaps there were other issues at play? You've gotten your facts wrong once already in this thread so I don't doubt you could get them wrong again.

geysir
04/12/2005, 7:34 AM
I could find two posts in the EL section that mention Aldo in connection with the Boh's job. Is there anything more than that?

geysir
04/12/2005, 7:39 AM
Won't show up particularly well on foot.ie (!), but it involved variations on the old "**** off you ****ing ******" rant. Very funny!
'D!ckhead', I believe was the most audible of all Aldo's expletitives which echoed all around the world.

geysir
04/12/2005, 10:15 AM
Maybe this clears up the Aldridge /Bohs connection
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2093-1879991,00.html
Vain wait for Aldridge
"In the following months, Bohemians president Felim O’Reilly received a couple of phone calls from a man with a Scouse accent and calling himself John Aldridge, who expressed an interest in the job. A couple of trips were made to the airport, but Aldridge never did show up."

Hither green
04/12/2005, 11:41 AM

Anyway, going back to one of the earlier points. Aldo's Irish, got passion but I've got concerns over his lack of recent experience too.

I wouldn't mind Reid, he'd fit in reasonably well with the Irish players and fans and anyone who saw that documentary about him will know that he's got plenty of passion.

Robson though!?! Wouldn't know passion if it bit him on the @rse! I fall asleep any time I hear him interviewed. I don't think he'd fit in and frankly as a manager he's sh1t!

gustavo
04/12/2005, 12:55 PM
so called "passion" is useless , whats the point in it . if i got the job i would be "passionate" but i would also be crap . mourinho wenger and riijkard dont seem too "passionate" and they dont do half bad.

Fergie's Son
04/12/2005, 7:45 PM
Maybe this clears up the Aldridge /Bohs connection
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2093-1879991,00.html
Vain wait for Aldridge
"In the following months, Bohemians president Felim O’Reilly received a couple of phone calls from a man with a Scouse accent and calling himself John Aldridge, who expressed an interest in the job. A couple of trips were made to the airport, but Aldridge never did show up."

Heh, that's funny.

So once again Roverstillidie is either wrong or misrepresenting the truth.

Will keep that in mind each and every time he posts.

Roverstillidie
04/12/2005, 8:22 PM
Heh, that's funny.

So once again Roverstillidie is either wrong or misrepresenting the truth.

Will keep that in mind each and every time he posts.

im not misprepresenting anything. Bohs have had 5 managers in 6 years. he has been linked on more than one occasion to the job, that story was when roddy was gone in 2001. he was more concretly interested when kenny left last year.

Noelys Guitar
04/12/2005, 9:43 PM
Aldridge has as much chance of getting the job as I do. This is just a bookies scam at 1/2. Staunton has a better chance and even that is a very slim one.

Fergie's Son
04/12/2005, 9:51 PM
im not misprepresenting anything. Bohs have had 5 managers in 6 years. he has been linked on more than one occasion to the job, that story was when roddy was gone in 2001. he was more concretly interested when kenny left last year.

No, you were misrepresenting the facts. You made it sound like Aldridge had intereview for the job with Bohs and was rejected. You then used that to ridicule his potential as a manager. The truth was that he never interviewed for the job.

You misrepresented Aldridge's coaching feats with Tranmere (though you might have just been unfamiliar with his coaching history).

To me, that means you're either dishonest or stupid. There are enough valid arguments against Aldridge without having to make things up.

Stick to the facts or don't bother.

Plastic Paddy
05/12/2005, 6:16 AM
Fergie's Son and Roverstillidie, this handbags stuff between you is mildly diverting but hasn't really the quality of discourse to continue much further without repetition or real childishness kicking in. That said, if you do want to keep getting personal with each other, take it to PM please.

:ball: PP

as_i_say
05/12/2005, 7:36 AM
Fergie's Son and Roverstillidie, this handbags stuff between you is mildly diverting but hasn't really the quality of discourse to continue much further without repetition or real childishness kicking in. That said, if you do want to keep getting personal with each other, take it to PM please.

why? they are entertaining the rest of us. i mean we dont want the pathetic slagging cr ap that goes on on dangerhere but i dunno sometimes this board should have a "GEN" icon on the opening page to warn viewers that anything beyond my little pony postings will not be acceptable:cool:

Fergie's Son
05/12/2005, 3:42 PM
Whatever happened to Dangerhere.com? I used to enjoy the site until I found Foot.ie

My apologies for the personal slagging but I tend to get upset when someone is just out and out lying about something.

tricky_colour
05/12/2005, 4:28 PM
what did it say?

Something along the lines of "You're a f**king cheat" to the official.

geysir
06/12/2005, 8:07 AM
With no statement from the FAI on Aldridge, it would appear that he has again found himself up front for Ireland for a long period as the lone runner with no support. I suppose that means there will be no early recall for Rory Delap. At least an Aldo reign would have had a few laughs mixed in with the tears and we might even have seen O´Shea break into a sweat.

Roverstillidie
06/12/2005, 8:33 PM

exactly where did i personalise this?

except against aldo of course.

geysir
06/12/2005, 9:16 PM
[QUOTE=Roverstillidie]exactly where did i personalise this?[QUOTE]
Page 1, message 15 on this thread.
You wrote "gob****es like this prove democracy doesnt work"
it looks like you abused the poster.
But it is possible you were referring to Ollie Byrne.

Closed Account 2
08/12/2005, 9:49 AM
I'd take Aldo - if we're not going to get the likes of Hiddink or MON, then I think Aldo is probably one of the best alternative candidates. In terms of his playing career, he has high level European experience with Liverpool, played in Spain with Sociedad, and experienced major international tournaments with us.

His managerial career, though not fantastic, did see him take Tranmere to the league cup final, and beat Premier League teams like Middlesburgh, Everton, Southampton etc.