PDA

View Full Version : Kerr in line for manager's job at (insert club here)...

youngirish
01/12/2005, 5:38 PM
I see Brian Kerr is in line for the Portsmouth job. Perhaps Mandaric didn't see any of Ireland's performances during the last qualifying campaign.

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=330666&cpid=8&CLID=&lid=2&title=Mandaric:+New+names+in+Pompey+frame&channel=football_home

Conor H
01/12/2005, 5:39 PM
I see Brian Kerr is in line for the Portsmouth job. Perhaps Mandaric didn't see any of Ireland's performances during the last qualifying campaign.
Or perhaps he saw the team whick Kerr was managing.

colster
01/12/2005, 5:42 PM

I think Kerr could make a good club manager. I'd love to see him get the Portsmouth job. I think he's quite close to Joe Jordan. He used him as a scout for Ireland didn't he?

Plastic Paddy
01/12/2005, 7:09 PM
Best of luck to him if he gets the job. Can't see it happening though.

:ball: PP

gustavo
01/12/2005, 7:14 PM
Best of luck to Kerr i hope he gets it i think he could do a good job there .

Dan K
01/12/2005, 10:26 PM
He'd need more than good luck down there....

(Admittedly, I'm a tad biased...)

Tired&Emotional
02/12/2005, 8:44 AM
Love to see him get the job, do really well and finish mid table.....two fingers to Delaney:D

Jerry The Saint
02/12/2005, 10:06 AM

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=330666&cpid=8&CLID=&lid=2&title=Mandaric:+New+names+in+Pompey+frame&channel=football_home

Perhaps he doesn't have the same delusions that people in this country have about Ireland having a divine right to qualify for every major tournament (having qualified for 4 out of around 30 we've entered)

Maybe he's not as appalled as Delaney was by Ireland moving from 15th to 12th to 21st in the FIFA World Rankings.

I think Kerr should take the job, get himself sacked really quickly and he would be immediately installed as favourite for the Ireland job (as an out-of-work Premiership manager) :D

klein4
02/12/2005, 7:59 PM

he must have a lot in common with the likes of yourself so !

thejollyrodger
02/12/2005, 8:14 PM
kerr should take over at Anderlecht. He is well suited since his game is based around the 1-0 and he is a technocrat and zero ability to motivate players.

Cant see him taking over at Portsmouth. Its not really him. Best of luck to him though where ever he goes. I think he is a decent enough manager with a few shortcomings and a bit unlucky. I reckon he will do well where ever he goes ! all the best brian;)

Tenderloins
05/12/2005, 8:49 AM
It looks now as if the Portsmouth job won't go to Redknapp even though he left Southampton! So Kerr or Sanchez may still be in the frame.
One thought occured to me was Sanchez getting the Portsmouth job and Kerr taking the Northern Ireland job!!!!
Would Kerr take the Northern job or will pigs fly before hes offered it!

tetsujin1979
05/12/2005, 9:11 AM
It's looking like Redknapp will have to take 6 months sabbatical from the game, so any appointment will probably be temporary. Of course, Mandaric could just go and screw him over and appoint Kerr, Sanchez or whoever

as_i_say
05/12/2005, 9:41 AM
pigs or any other barnyard animal

youngirish
05/12/2005, 1:08 PM
Perhaps he doesn't have the same delusions that people in this country have about Ireland having a divine right to qualify for every major tournament (having qualified for 4 out of around 30 we've entered)

Qualification has nothing to do with it. Finishing fourth in a group containing Israel and Switzerland has. As do the four dire Irish performances against both teams.

Tenderloins
05/12/2005, 3:19 PM
Kerr linked with the Southampton job now!!

Stuttgart88
05/12/2005, 3:31 PM
Rory Delap won't be happy.

drummerboy
05/12/2005, 3:32 PM
Think Portsmouth are only using Sanchez as a way of avoiding paying compensation to Southampton if they appoint Rednapp and the case is taken to a tribunal.

zinedineontour
05/12/2005, 4:20 PM
be delighted if kerr got a decent job in england but judging by pompeys record of sacking managers he might be better off staying away ..

Tenderloins
06/12/2005, 8:37 AM
Wonder has he contacted Real Madrid as to his availability!!!:p

Tenderloins
21/12/2005, 8:57 AM
Graham Rix seems in trouble at Hearts. Wonder would Kerr be in the hunt there still?

Qwerty
26/12/2005, 4:39 PM
BK will not be hired by any Premiership, Championship or Scottish Premiership team - if you think therwise you are not living in the real world.

Dublin12
26/12/2005, 5:17 PM
Budget Travel are looking for a new hotel scout in Europe,maybe he can have a look at that:eek: :D

Dotsy
28/12/2005, 10:48 AM
In the Irish Times today Fintan Drury says that Kerr has applied for the position of manager to South Africa. He is among 43 candidates and it will be announced in February. Accroding to Drury he has already turned down the position of internataional manager to an unnamed country within the last forthnight. SA are looking for someone with international experience and someone to improve their technical and underage structures. Sounds right up Kerrs street to me.

thejollyrodger
28/12/2005, 11:27 AM
here it is

Kerr looks to manage South Africa
Carl O'Malley

Soccer News: Former Republic of Ireland manager Brian Kerr is one of a number of candidates to be considered for the post of South Africa manager.

Kerr, whose contract was not renewed by the FAI after the Republic of Ireland failed to qualify for the 2006 World Cup, is among 43 applicants for the job. The South African Football Association (Safa) is not expected to announce the choice until after the African Cup of Nations on February 10th.

Speaking to The Irish Times last night Kerr's agent, Fintan Drury, confirmed the former St Patrick's Athletic manager had applied to manage the host nation of the 2010 World Cup.

"He has applied. He is interested in the job, it's an attractive job," Drury said. "He wants to be involved in professional football. Ideally, although not exclusively, he is attracted to international football.

"They are looking for somebody who has international experience but also they are very keen on the technical development side, which obviously he has done very successfully with the FAI, so he ticks a lot of their boxes."

It has also emerged Kerr turned down a job offer from another international football federation in the last fortnight.

Kerr had been linked with a number of club jobs in recent weeks, including vacancies at Hearts in the Scottish Premier League where there was brief contact. He was also named in the back-up plans for Premiership strugglers Portsmouth.

Bafana Bafana, as they are known, missed out on qualification for Germany's showpiece after a 2-0 defeat to Ghana in their final qualifier. The result led to the resignation of English coach Stuart Baxter.

"At the end of February hopefully we'll be in a position to announce who the new manager will be," Safa chief executive Raymond Hack said yesterday.

Romanian-born Ted Dumitru is in temporary charge of the side and may hold on to the job if his side emerge as African champions or beaten finalists in Cairo in February.

© The Irish Times

Plastic Paddy
28/12/2005, 2:45 PM
SA are looking for someone with international experience and someone to improve their technical and underage structures. Sounds right up Kerrs street to me.

Agreed and I for one hope he lands the position. Good luck Brian. :)

:ball: PP

TheJamaicanP.M.
28/12/2005, 2:47 PM
Kerr would be more suited as a defensive coach for the Springboks rugby team.:rolleyes:
I heard that when Kerr was in charge of the Irish underage sides, he held training games between the Dubs and the Culchies. I just hope Kerr doesn't use a similar policy in South Africa.:D

eirebhoy
28/12/2005, 3:05 PM
Kerr would be more suited as a defensive coach for the Springboks rugby team.:rolleyes:
I heard that when Kerr was in charge of the Irish underage sides, he held training games between the Dubs and the Culchies. I just hope Kerr doesn't use a similar policy in South Africa.:D
Not just underage, they had them games with the seniors too. :)

klein4
28/12/2005, 6:45 PM
maybe he should have given eoin hand a call before he applied...
dont think he has a chance of gettin it. think fintan drury is from the louis walsh school of media relations.

Superhoops
28/12/2005, 7:15 PM
....I heard that when Kerr was in charge of the Irish underage sides, he held training games between the Dubs and the Culchies. I just hope Kerr doesn't use a similar policy in South Africa.:D
If he did, it worked, as he had more success with underage sides than any coach in Europe. BTW, I assume the Dubs won every time:D

drinkfeckarse
29/12/2005, 8:33 AM
I'll be surprised if Kerr gets taken on at any serious international level again so soon after getting the push.

He'll tout himself about like a cheap whore but at the end of the day he'll be lucky to get some League 1 or 2 club.

Noelys Guitar
29/12/2005, 9:58 AM
Phoenix couldn't have written a better article! Now as well as Drury's "unnamed" champions league team we have an "unknown" international team seeking out Kerr. Which champions league and what international sport are we talking about here? Please keep up the comedy work Fintan.

Kerry Blue
29/12/2005, 6:46 PM
If Kerr does get the SA job at least he won't have to worry about qualifying for the next World Cup in 2010!:)

dancinpants
29/12/2005, 6:53 PM
If Kerr does get the SA job at least he won't have to worry about qualifying for the next World Cup in 2010!:)

Maybe thats why he's going for the job in the first place?

Method to his madness ;)

gustavo
29/12/2005, 8:59 PM
pretty disappointed at the Anti Kerr attitude on this thread, ok so he didnt get us to the WC but he is gone now to be replaced by God know's who so i think all the sly digs are a bit unsavoury

feo123
29/12/2005, 9:55 PM
Just imagine how difficult it would be for the poor South African players to understand him with his deep Dublin accent!

eirebhoy
30/12/2005, 4:22 PM
Just imagine how difficult it would be for the poor South African players to understand him with his deep Dublin accent!
I say fair play to Brian Kerr for not "mellowing" his Dublin accent as it seems you have to do that to go far these days. I'm happy to have an accent as thick as Kerr's and find it insulting the amount of jokes made about his. The whole cast of Fair city have to put on the accent while its the norm for someone on Eastenders to have a thick London accent. :)

I'm off now to the Point to listen to Chritsy and his thick Kildare accent. ;)

Stuttgart88
31/12/2005, 10:26 AM
Good luck to Kerr whoever he manages next.

Thunderblaster
03/01/2006, 5:42 PM

What? 19 Blacks V 3 Whites in a practice game?:eek: No, it won't work!!Apartheid is dead and buried. Kerr would still have to lead South Africa for the African Nations Cup in 2008 and 2010.

NeilMcD
05/01/2006, 10:14 AM
BRIAN KERR is poised for a return to international soccer as manager of South Africa.

Sources close to the situation in South Africa have said a deal has been negotiated and it only awaits the completion of the African Nations Cup in Egypt from January 20 to February 10 before an announcement is made.

Neither Kerr nor his agent Fintan Drury responded to a query on the matter last night, but the Dubliner can be optimistic about facing a new challenge very soon.

Indeed, bookmakers Boylesports slashed the odds on his being named South Africa team boss from 5/1 on Monday to 2/1 yesterday after what they described as "sustained and consistent support" by their customers.

"There were no huge bets, and we have a number of markets on where Brian will go next but we had to cut the odds fairly quickly," said a spokesman.

The 52-year-old has maintained a low profile after the FAI decided not to renew his contract after the failure to qualify for the World Cup.

Baffled

His only public comment came in a TV profile called 'Final Words: Brian Kerr's World Cup Story' before Christmas.

Apart from claiming the FAI did not give him all the support he needed, Kerr was also baffled and disappointed that the FAI dumped him without allowing him to make a case for another contract.

Now the Association is seeking a replacement and Kerr is looking for a top football job. That opportunity beckons with South Africa, whose team the 'Bafana Bafana' (The Boys) also failed to reach the World Cup.

That was a big blow to the hosts for the 2010 World Cup finals, and their coach, Englishman Stuart Baxter, paid the price.

Baxter, also 52, resigned in November, and has been replaced for the African Nations Cup by 69-year-old Romanian-born Ted Dumitru.

Dumitru has won successive League titles with Mamelodi Sundowns and Kaizer Chiefs, and is nicknamed 'The Professor'.

However, his age and possibly a reputation for uncompromising criticism of officialdom on occasions counts against him as a long-term bet for the job.

In addition, South African football officials are very concerned about putting development structures in place, and this is where Kerr would score highly.

They now have a four-year schedule leading to the prestigious holding of the World Cup and need to overhaul their game from top to bottom.

The forthcoming African Nations Cup and another in two years' time offer competitive challenges for the team, but the big target is a high level of performance in 2010.

Kerr has an excellent reputation at UEFA and FIFA level, and brought an Irish under age team for the Meridian Cup, an invitation tournament, in Cape Town in 1999.

Andy Roxboro, the former Scotland boss who is now the UEFA Technical Director, is a Kerr admirer and would have no hesitation in recommending him for the job.

A job with the South Africans won't be easily maintained, but Kerr has no doubt learned many lessons from his experience as Irish team manager.

The Bafana Bafana have had 11 coaches in 13 years, including Carlos Queiroz the ex-Real Madrid manager who is now assistant to Alex Ferguson at Manchester United.

TonyD
09/01/2006, 10:56 PM
pretty disappointed at the Anti Kerr attitude on this thread, ok so he didnt get us to the WC but he is gone now to be replaced by God know's who so i think all the sly digs are a bit unsavoury

Agree 100% with that. If Kerr was English and talked like Cockney "Geezer" Terry Venables would he have gotten such a hard time from so many people ?. I hope he gets the South Africa job, and if they ever come up against Ireland in a World Cup managed by him I know whose colours I'll be wearing that day (after all, if it's good enough for Eamonn Dunphy in his support of Keano :D :D )

Stuttgart88
10/01/2006, 8:47 AM
Agree 100% with that. If Kerr was English and talked like Cockney "Geezer" Terry Venables would he have gotten such a hard time from so many people ?. I hope he gets the South Africa job, and if they ever come up against Ireland in a World Cup managed by him I know whose colours I'll be wearing that day (after all, if it's good enough for Eamonn Dunphy in his support of Keano :D :D )
I admire your loyalty Tony but I disagree. I think Kerr got a much more favourable run from the media & the public in his early years than an outside candidate would have got. Nearly everyone I know was behind him until it became pretty clear that the players weren't playing for him & the results weren't getting any better. I think an Englishman with Kerr's results, style of play, relationship with the players & relationship with the press would have got a much tougher time.

OwlsFan
24/01/2006, 5:28 PM
Kerr linked with Celtic role

January 24, 2006

Former Republic of Ireland manager Brian Kerr is a candidate for the youth development job at Celtic, according to a morning newspaper report.

The Bank of Scotland Premierleague leaders will begin a search for a new youth team guru if current incumbent Kenny McDowall lands the vacant manager’s job at Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

Kerr has an exceptional record with younger players from his time in charge of the Irish youths set-up and, according to a report in the Irish Sun, Celtic may offer him a route back into football at Parkhead.

It is not known whether the Dubliner, out of a job since the end of Ireland’s World Cup qualification campaign in October, would be keen on a return to a youths environment.

Superhoops
24/01/2006, 6:15 PM
Kerr linked with Celtic role

January 24, 2006

Former Republic of Ireland manager Brian Kerr is a candidate for the youth development job at Celtic, according to a morning newspaper report.

The Bank of Scotland Premierleague leaders will begin a search for a new youth team guru if current incumbent Kenny McDowall lands the vacant manager’s job at Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

Kerr has an exceptional record with younger players from his time in charge of the Irish youths set-up and, according to a report in the Irish Sun, Celtic may offer him a route back into football at Parkhead.

It is not known whether the Dubliner, out of a job since the end of Ireland’s World Cup qualification campaign in October, would be keen on a return to a youths environment.
Interesting! Thought BK revealed a few years ago that he was a Rangers fan.

Jerry The Saint
25/01/2006, 9:25 AM

Translation: "The Dubliner is not keen on a return to a youths environment but at least we got a few paragraphs out of it" ;)