PDA

View Full Version : McLoughlin looks for move 'home'

joe
12/05/2002, 8:36 PM
from Ireland on Sunday (http://www.irelandonsunday.com)

WORLD CUP hero Alan McLoughlin has sent a "come and get me" message to the Eircom League.

The former Republic midfielder, scorer of the goal that sent Jack Charlton's men to the USA 94 finals, has just left Third Division Rochdale.

And McLoughlin wants to serve his apprenticeship as a coach in Ireland. "I am about to do my final coaching badge and I would love the chance to finish my playing career in Ireland and start my coaching career there," he said.

"I am not doing this for the money. Thanks to football I am financially secure now so I am not looking for a king's ransom to work in Ireland.

McLoughlin, 35, who has also played for Portsmouth and Swindon, believes he has a year of playing left in his legs.

"I just want the chance to start on my coaching career there to give something back to the Irish game and live in Ireland for a while.

"I belive I have something to offer and I just hope that a club in Ireland agrees.

pete
13/05/2002, 10:41 AM
"I am not doing this for the money. Thanks to football I am financially secure now so I am not looking for a king's ransom to work in Ireland.

Its charity then is it?

:rolleyes:

Was he not offered a chance to move to the eL last summer or am i mixing him up with someone else?

Éanna
13/05/2002, 11:29 AM
LIAMO LIAMO LIAMO............ *ad nauseam* :rolleyes:
he's also the prat who said
I'm glad for the fans back in Ireland after scoring THAT goal in Belfast.

Pablo
13/05/2002, 1:09 PM
Didnt he turn Cork City down last year?

SÓC
13/05/2002, 1:32 PM
Yea Mountfield tried to sign him but siad that he was still under contract and would cost too much.

pete
13/05/2002, 2:09 PM
Obviously McLoughlin realises the lower leagues are screwed for cash & aren't likely to take on an old player on highest wages so he can do his coaching badges at the same time.

If an eL club thinks he can do a good job for him & vice versa so be it but if he is trying to spin it that he "giving something back" to the local game then he kidding himself.

I see no value in city getting him anyway.