PDA

View Full Version : Waterford team of 1980 to be honoured

A face
30/11/2005, 11:45 PM
Waterford team of 1980 to be honoured

The FAI has announced that as part of its honouring of greats cup moments of the past the first The Star/FAI Cup Silver Jubilee Team award will be handed out as part of the festivities on Sunday at this year's FAI Cup final.
The award will be given to the Waterford team which defeated St Patrick's Athletic 1 - 0 in the 1980 Cup Final courtesy of a goal from full back, Brian Gardiner. The team will be presented with mementos of the occasion as well as being introduced to the crowd at Lansdowne Road.

Read more at www.irishfootballonline.com (http://www.irishfootballonline.com/news_story.php?newsid=3973)

RedX
30/11/2005, 11:52 PM
A Waterford team being honoured before a Cork City FC match....that will go down well me reckons...:D

A face
01/12/2005, 12:12 AM
A Waterford team being honoured before a Cork City FC match....that will go down well me reckons...:D

Was thinking that too .... and then straight into .....

He fúcked it up,
He fúcked it up,
He fúcked it,
Connors fúcked it up !! :p

RedX
01/12/2005, 12:30 AM
He fúcked it up,
He fúcked it up,
He fúcked it,

Looking forward to that chant...hopefully he will be as shaky as David Forde was for Derry at Turners Cross a couple of weeks ago..:D

RedX
01/12/2005, 1:31 AM
I probably wont boo them but i can tell you this...i certainly would NEVER clap a Waterford side past or present...why they are there in the first place is silly anyway...could you imagine a Rovers past team with Bohs playing?..well done to the FAIlures as always...;)

RedX
01/12/2005, 1:40 AM
i think its a nice thing to do for past players.
and it will be lovely in 25 years time when drogheda are been honoured.:D

Now now Jimmy...you know they never honour runners up ;) :D

Peadar
01/12/2005, 8:04 AM
its only scumbags would boo any team of players from the past.

It's only muppets who'd expect us to honour them!
I'll have a flick through the programme and a chat with my buddies while this distraction is in progress.

1980 was a black year in Irish football.
No need to remind people.

My little chant to Waterford;
"You're nothing but a side show.
You're nothing but a side show.
You're nothing but a side show..."

razor
01/12/2005, 8:08 AM
and it will be lovely in 25 years time when drogheda are been honoured.:Dand don't forget yourselves in a mere 24 years. :D

Cosmo
01/12/2005, 8:12 AM
Was thinking that too .... and then straight into .....

He fúcked it up,
He fúcked it up,
He fúcked it,

Yeah cant wait for the drink driving songs to be belted out either :)

joeSoap
01/12/2005, 8:13 AM
1980 was a black year in Irish football.[/I]
Oh no it wasn't :D :D :ball:

razor
01/12/2005, 8:25 AM
Yeah cant wait for the drink driving songs to be belted out either :)Like what ? come on, we need examples otherwise we won't know what to sing. ;)

Cosmo
01/12/2005, 8:34 AM
Like what ? come on, we need examples otherwise we won't know what to sing. ;)

Ah I heard the derry lads gave them a decent enough belt down in cork a couple of weeks ago - I'm sure you and your scumbag player who they were directed at heard them :p

Peadar
01/12/2005, 8:38 AM
Yeah cant wait for the drink driving songs to be belted out either :)

What has George O'Callaghan got to do with Waterford?

Muppets!

Derry fans might have sung something to him, but whatever it was, it made him play a blinder.
Hope you manage to similarly inspire him.

The Derry fans would have been better employed trying to inspire their own players.

Cosmo
01/12/2005, 8:52 AM
Derry fans might have sung something to him, but whatever it was, it made him play a blinder.
Hope you manage to similarly inspire him.

Same with the abuse connor gets - connor has actually played well against cork this season (bar his one abvious f**k up!!). I reckon connor thrives on the abuse ye give him, so keep it coming on sunday :)

'The Derry fans would have been better employed trying to inspire their own players'

What? like cork fans did when they gave Barry Ryan abuse over something he did in the past in his 'personal life' :rolleyes: - shocking stuff bringing something a player did in his personal life into play :)

Dick Long
01/12/2005, 8:59 AM
I remember when Waterford United went down to the X about 3 seasons ago the Cork Celtic team of 73/74 were introduced to the crowd at half-time, in honour of it being 30 years since that club's only League Championship. The team was well received by both sets fans and they had a chat with a couple of the players about their memories, including Alfie Hale who was part of that side having previously won 6 titles with Waterford. Personally I enjoyed seeing some of the famous old names such as Bobby Tambling. The late Alex Ludzic was remembered too and the whole era of The Blues, Hibs and Celtic was deservedly recalled and great names like Jackie Morley, Dave Wigginton, Johnny Matthews, Peter Thomas, Miah Dennehy, Vinny Maguire and Jimmy McGeough who was managing the Blues team who were visiting that day.

Players of the past deserve to be remembered because history is something not often appreciated in the League of Ireland as it's not as well documented as elsewhere.

MariborKev
01/12/2005, 9:01 AM
Cosmo,

Cork fans and double standards? Who'd have thought it:D

Pablo
01/12/2005, 9:13 AM
Cork fans and double standards?

Yeah, the League championship and FAI cup!

Peadar
01/12/2005, 9:14 AM
Same with the abuse connor gets

I don't think you're thick so you must be deliberately missing the point.

When the Waterford team were being "honoured", A face wanted to slag off O'Connor. Get it? No? Too complicated?

I remember when Waterford United went down to the X about 3 seasons ago the Cork Celtic team of 73/74 were introduced to the crowd at half-time, in honour of it being 30 years since that club's only League Championship.

A Cork team being honoured in Cork, at a Cork game, is acceptable.
A Waterford team being honoured in front of Cork and Drogheda is pointless and unwanted.

Cosmo
01/12/2005, 9:26 AM
When the Waterford team were being "honoured", A face wanted to slag off O'Connor. Get it? No? Too complicated?

Its obviously too complicated for me. What does dan connor have to do with the waterford team of 1980? :confused:

I know Maribor, its amazing isn't it? :D

Dick Long
01/12/2005, 9:26 AM
Pretty pointless, agreed. Unwanted? The FAI Cup Final is supposed to be a national football occasion. It's a thing they're starting from this year, honouring the Silver Jubilee winners at the actual event it's the anniversary of. How about a respectful polite clap or just ignore it and get on with reading your programme or eating your pie?

ColinR
01/12/2005, 9:37 AM
what could be offensive to cork fans about the waterford 1980 team anyway - they were not rivals, as of course cork city didn't exist back then.

if your not able to manage a couple of minutes respect for a silver jubilee winner of the cup, well then i guess that says the true story about how great the cork fans are....

joeSoap
01/12/2005, 9:37 AM
A Cork team being honoured in Cork, at a Cork game, is acceptable.
A Waterford team being honoured in front of Cork and Drogheda is pointless and unwanted.
Thats one hell of an ignorant post. If you check it out a little further, you will see that the winners of 25 years previous are to be honoured at all finals. Its been a tradition for years on other sports and its a very nice gesture to players who were successful a quarter of a century ago to remember and be recognised. You might think it pointless and unwanted but a lot of other people don't.

If Cork (under one of their several unsuccessful banners) won anything in 1980 then you'd be jumping through hoops were they to be remembered a quarter of a century later for it. The whole world does not revolve around Cork, even if ye think it does, so a bit less of the self importance and a bit of respect for a truly great side would be appreciated.Only you lot could turn a thread dedicated to Waterford of old into a self-righteous, pompous Cork issue.:mad:

Raheny Red
01/12/2005, 9:55 AM
ColinR wrote:

what could be offensive to cork fans about the waterford 1980 team anyway - they were not rivals, as of course cork city didn't exist back then.

Great post there Colin R (as it happens my name is also Colin R...........maybe we're...............nah we couldn't be)

Anyway they have no reason to complain as Cork City were hot even born then. Cork City was only a zygote back then.:D ;)

LFC in Exile
01/12/2005, 10:50 AM
Its amazing what the FAI will do to annoy Cork City fans. It can hardly be a coincidence that Waterford won the Cup in 1980. Those devious FAI boys - I think City would be well within their rights to boycott all future FAI cup matches in protest. :rolleyes:

Its amazing the amount of langers there are in Cork. I suppose that's why they got naming rights. :)

Colm
01/12/2005, 12:01 PM

I can already envisage all the sheep shagger chants etc!:D

Yeah cant wait for the drink driving songs to be belted out either

It's very unlikely that he'll be able to hear ye over the mighty Rebel Army anyway so work away and waste your time and energy!;)

razor
01/12/2005, 12:09 PM
Ah I heard the derry lads gave them a decent enough belt down in cork a couple of weeks agoI was in The Shed and to be honest heard absolutely nothing at all from the Derry crowd. It was especially quiet for the last 30 minutes.

I think Dan Connor has done enough to Cork City fans over the last few season to warrant absolute dogs abuse.
I mean players will be obvious targets, Barry Ryan for instance had his issues and was berated and I guess in this respect George is open season also, drive on but as you say it probably only encourages the player.
Polite applause for Waterford players from 25 years ago is indeed merited and providing i'll be in the ground by that time thats exactly what i'll be doing.

Cosmo
01/12/2005, 12:22 PM
It's very unlikely that he'll be able to hear ye over the mighty Rebel Army anyway so work away and waste your time and energy!;)

Will do - think I'll plant myself at the corner of the south terrace (east stand side) for when the drink driver takes a corner - just incase - just to let him know exactly what I think of scum that take a few drinks and decide to go for a spin :p

bluemovie
01/12/2005, 1:11 PM
Polite applause for Waterford players from 25 years ago is indeed merited and providing i'll be in the ground by that time thats exactly what i'll be doing.

Fair play, Razor. I hope the rest of your lot show the same respect. We're always saying that the League needs to boost it's image and show itself to be an attractive prospect to all football fans. The cup final is our showpiece -a chance to advertise the League to a wider audience. This will be best achieved with a good game on the pitch and good behaviour off it.

A sense of history is integral to the promotion of the League. The FAI have decided to honour past heroes, but you can be sure they will scrap it for next year if it descends into farce. This is a test of the character of Cork fans. I don't think there would be a problem if Drogheda were in next year's final when the Dundalk team of 1981 will be honoured. I don't even think Bohs fans would boo the Rovers 4 in-a-row team when they get their turn. However, I fully expect to hear Cork 'fans' booing on Sunday followed by condemnation by RTE, the papers and the FAI. Similar to the idiots who jeered George Best on Saturday, this will leave a bad impression on the very people we are supposed to be trying to attract to the game. The League shooting ourselves in the foot again.

This will be a measure of Cork fans. Can they show respect to some middle-aged men reliving their proudest moment? Let's wait and see.

Pablo
01/12/2005, 1:34 PM
Fair play, Razor. I hope the rest of your lot show the same respect. We're always saying that the League needs to boost it's image and show itself to be an attractive prospect to all football fans. The cup final is our showpiece -a chance to advertise the League to a wider audience. This will be best achieved with a good game on the pitch and good behaviour off it.

A sense of history is integral to the promotion of the League. The FAI have decided to honour past heroes, but you can be sure they will scrap it for next year if it descends into farce. This is a test of the character of Cork fans. I don't think there would be a problem if Drogheda were in next year's final when the Dundalk team of 1981 will be honoured. I don't even think Bohs fans would boo the Rovers 4 in-a-row team when they get their turn. However, I fully expect to hear Cork 'fans' booing on Sunday followed by condemnation by RTE, the papers and the FAI. Similar to the idiots who jeered George Best on Saturday, this will leave a bad impression on the very people we are supposed to be trying to attract to the game. The League shooting ourselves in the foot again.

This will be a measure of Cork fans. Can they show respect to some middle-aged men reliving their proudest moment? Let's wait and see.

Yawn :rolleyes:

Pablo
01/12/2005, 1:34 PM
im 100% sure that the drogheda fans will show great respect for the great peter thomas, sid wallace and co.
but dont expect anything from the ignorent folk by the lee..
im sure they will beheave like a shower of knackers at a wedding.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :rolleyes:

RedX
01/12/2005, 1:35 PM
I'll have a flick through the programme and a chat with my buddies while this distraction is in progress.
I]

:D ...

RedX
01/12/2005, 1:37 PM
im 100% sure that the drogheda fans will show great respect for the great peter thomas, sid wallace and co.
but dont expect anything from the ignorent folk by the lee..
im sure they will beheave like a shower of knackers at a wedding.

Lads..this is exactly why us SUPERIOR Cork people wont be clapping the sheepshaggers from the RSC...:rolleyes: :D

Peadar
01/12/2005, 1:42 PM
Yawn :rolleyes:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :rolleyes:

You said it, Pablo!

I've been to GAA games where they do this sort of 'remember this team' crap and the fake clapping is unreal!
Why do they bother?
It's all so staged and false.

By the way, this Waterford, Limerick and Drogheda love-in is such a beautiful thing. Reminds me of how everyone thought their love could help Derry beat us. Keep it up lads. :D

RedX
01/12/2005, 1:47 PM
It would be great if the City fans could stay quiet for a few minutes and listen to the Drogs fans sing about Georgie...Georgie would laugh with us and it would only encourage the guy more..not that the best player in the country needs to be encouraged...:D

A face
01/12/2005, 1:54 PM

What if all the Waterford fans start piping up and try and blame it on City fans ... what then ?? :p

ColinR
01/12/2005, 1:59 PM
Reminds me of how everyone thought their love could help Derry beat us. Keep it up lads. :D

the biggest love in there was between yourselves and derry :rolleyes:

RedX
01/12/2005, 2:04 PM
the biggest love in there was between yourselves and derry :rolleyes:

I hope Derry get relegated next season...;)

patsh
01/12/2005, 2:19 PM
It's a good thing that stuff like this will happen at the final. The more the sense of occasion, the more it will attract people to it.
Let's remember that quite a few finals have had terrible attendances, and there has been nothing special done to mark the day, just go play the game and get on with it.

Some great names there, but which Waterford club was it?
Waterford FC or Waterford United?

Speranza
01/12/2005, 2:52 PM
I was in The Shed and to be honest heard absolutely nothing at all from the Derry crowd. It was especially quiet for the last 30 minutes

:rolleyes: Bull****. We were LOUDER in the last 30 than at any other time in the match.

It's very unlikely that he'll be able to hear ye over the mighty Rebel Army anyway

Would they include the same people that protested otuside the cross and demanded the resignation of Lennox and Rico. You may get the biggest crowds in the country but your fanbase is the most fickle I have ever encountered.

Colm
01/12/2005, 5:06 PM

Good question.
Was Waterford United founded before or after 1980?!

Lads, ye may aswell face up to it that City fans are NOT going to appluad or cheer for a Waterford team...... get over it, it's not that big a deal.

Partizan
01/12/2005, 5:39 PM
Some great names there, but which Waterford club was it?

Waterford FC & Waterford United are the exact same clubs, same franchise, same players, same colours, same ground, same fans but different trading company. Using your logic, the present Waterford United FC PLC club was only founded in 1998, after they replaced Waterford United FC Ltd. Now a new trading company will be set up on January 1st called Waterford United Ltd FC. Does that mean come January 1st we will be a different Club with the slate wiped clean. Limerick FC, (United and City) are the exact replica of our situation.

To put your mind at rest - www.waterford-united.ie (or better phone our offices in Parnell St) should give you all the info you need as well as www.rssff.com or better still why dont you buy a WUFC Lotto ticket and look at the small print on the botton left hand corner.

You will be pleasantly surprised.

Now run off and jump on the second Cork bandwagon rolling into Dublin.

Partizan
01/12/2005, 5:43 PM
My little chant to Waterford;
"You're nothing but a side show.
You're nothing but a side show..."

Yeah I suppose those SIX league titles in EIGHT years and the likes of Alfie Hale, Peter Thomas, Jimmy McGeough et al were nothing but a sideshow. :rolleyes:

Mental Man
01/12/2005, 7:58 PM
As a league of Ireland fan i am absolutely disgusted to hear that past players IRRESPECTIVE of what bloody club they have played for will not be applauded for their achievements on field.
I dont care if its Knocknagoshel FC players that are being appaluded on sunday,if i was there i would cheer them.
Anybody that would Boo those players or not acknowledge their past achievements are nothing but pure vile tossers, these days with the EL under so much threat from the crap thats spewed on to our TV's every night and the haneous amounts of money that these pansies are being paid, we should applaud our own past hero's even more.
To hear Cork city fans give out about love ins on this site is nothing but the highest of hypocrisy, up to a few weeks ago they were at it with Rovers fans, then they went at it with the Derry lads and now they themselves are accusing others of doing it.
But back to the point of this topic, a club whos supporters who honestly think of possibly Booing past players who are old men now are a disgrace to the league and more-so a bloody disgrace to their club., and they come sites like these and give out about barstoolers and GAA players, at least the players of past All Irelands are applauded like heroes at every final irrespective of what team they were in.
If Booing is heard coming from the terraces on sunday then every EL supporter in the country will be tarred with the same brush by these ignorant gombeens and by god will the media have a field day on this.
All i can say is grow up and have a bit of respect :mad: .

RedX
01/12/2005, 8:16 PM
[QUOTE=Speranza]:rolleyes: Bull****. We were LOUDER in the last 30 than at any other time in the match.
[QUOTE]

Speranza....go back over the thread lad...and then tell me how did you quote me on something razor said?..thats a first...:eek:

coislaoi
01/12/2005, 8:18 PM
Firstly I hope that the Waterford team of 1980 get the respect they deserve. That does not mean that people have to clap (I will btw) but it does mean that they shouldn't be booed. That is wrong and does would not reflect well on our fans. If a few start it, I'm sure the kids will join in but they should be encouraged (strongly) to desist.

This is a test of the character of Cork fans. I don't think there would be a problem if Drogheda were in next year's final when the Dundalk team of 1981 will be honoured. I don't even think Bohs fans would boo the Rovers 4 in-a-row team when they get their turn.

Please spare me that self-righteous bullshít. Do you honestly believe that if the roles were reversed your "fans" wouldn't boo a past team of ours? Do you think that the Drogs wouldn't boo a team from Craptown? You surely can't believe that Bohs wouldn't boo Rovers and vice versa. Get a grip.:eek:

razor
01/12/2005, 8:29 PM
Would they include the same people that protested otuside the cross and demanded the resignation of Lennox and Rico. You may get the biggest crowds in the country but your fanbase is the most fickle I have ever encountered.I do believe a look closer to home is required here.

gspain
01/12/2005, 8:47 PM
It is great to see them honoured. Pity the league champions from 1980 are not honoured too. ;)

It was a great Waterford team. We beat them 4-3 in the league in Kilcohan a week before the semi final. They beat us in the replay of the semi in Milltown in an alltime classic. Still they also beat Dundalk in the league run in at Kilcohan on the same day we came from 2 down to beat Harps in Ballybofey. Long before Aertel there was misinformation around the stands. Trailing 2-0 at half time we were told Dundalk were 2 up in Kilcohan. A late goal to grab a 3-2 win became even better when we heard Dundalk were actually 2 down and had lost 2-0. We won the league by a point from Dundalk in the end on the same day as Waterford won the Cup.

2 years to wait for the team of 82 to be honoured. Maybe we'll be back in the final by then.

Partizan
01/12/2005, 9:04 PM
from eleven a side.com
http://www.eleven-a-side.com/faicup/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=20221

Waterford set for Cup final honour

December 1, 2005

Members of the Waterford United side which won the 1980 FAI Cup will be honoured at Sunday’s 2005 decider between Cork City and Drogheda United as part of the inaugural The Star/FAI Cup Silver Jubilee celebrations.

The Waterford team of 1980 included such great characters of Irish football as Peter Thomas, Tony Dunphy, Al Finnucane and Syd Wallace.

They defeated St Patrick’s Athletic on a 1-0 scoreline, the only goal coming from defender Brian Gardiner.

As well as receiving a momento of the occasion, The Star/FAI Cup Silver Jubilee team will be introduced to the crowd at Sunday’s final.

The Waterford FC FAI Cup winners in 1980 were: Peter Thomas, Ger O’Mahony, Al Finnucane, Tony Dunphy, Brian Gardiner, Mark Meeagan, Mick Madigan, Vinny McCarthy, Larry Murray, Syd Wallace, Paul Kirk.

Substitutes on the day were Tommy Jackson and Eamonn Coady, while Richie Hall, Brendan Carey and Tom Keane were other members of the Cup-winning squad.

patsh
02/12/2005, 7:03 AM
Waterford FC & Waterford United are the exact same clubs, same franchise, same players, same colours, same ground, same fans but different trading company. Using your logic, the present Waterford United FC PLC club was only founded in 1998, after they replaced Waterford United FC Ltd. Now a new trading company will be set up on January 1st called Waterford United Ltd FC. Does that mean come January 1st we will be a different Club with the slate wiped clean. Limerick FC, (United and City) are the exact replica of our situation.

To put your mind at rest - www.waterford-united.ie (http://www.waterford-united.ie) (or better phone our offices in Parnell St) should give you all the info you need as well as www.rssff.com (http://www.rssff.com) or better still why dont you buy a WUFC Lotto ticket and look at the small print on the botton left hand corner.

You will be pleasantly surprised.

Now run off and jump on the second Cork bandwagon rolling into Dublin.
Methinks the lady doth protest too much....:D

Edit: So which was it, WFC or WUFC?

gspain
02/12/2005, 9:04 AM
we even had a limerick man in our team, the great al finucain.
what a team.

Al Finucane wa sone of the all time greats of LoI football - 13 caps for Ireland too. scored home and away against us in the league too that season - and he never scored. Of course he also won the cup in 1971 with a much better team. ;) Richie Hall spent a few seasons with us too.